Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

I appreciate the Sea Stories, FlyingLemur.

We'll see what I can do about that.

I got lucky because when I finally went and asked for help with my drinking, the DAPA on my boat actually gave a poo poo. Other DAPAs I had or would run into weren't in it for the helping so much.

When I took over as DAPA at Sub School, the first class I relieved told me how great it was to be in the spotlight with the CO all the time and was a sure way to make Chief. And he was right, he made it the cycle after he left. Worked out well for him.

The program was hosed to Hell and back. There was a big white board behind the desk with everyone's name that was scheduled for and attending treatment as well as aftercare. Everyone has to check in and out with the DAPA, so everyone got to look at that list while he was signing their checkout sheets. That was the most obvious issue. The records were also hosed. I took my job seriously and sometimes came in to talk to the restricted students if someone wanted to talk and it took me a long time to unfuck the records. Someone noticed I was working hard so I got taken off the watchbill, which was cool. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here with how loving good I was - but I was pretty loving good. Especially compared to the two Dipfucks I relieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

22 finally docked for repairs.

I'm taking even odds on whether she makes it out, or they give up, defuel her and turn 'er into razorblades/spare parts for the 23.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

22 finally docked for repairs.

I'm taking even odds on whether she makes it out, or they give up, defuel her and turn 'er into razorblades/spare parts for the 23.

They already have 21 for that

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The 21 has a front, still.

The 21, 22, AND 23 were all operational and deployed or deployable in 2021! Probably the first and last time that'll ever happen.

There was a huge push to get all three sustainably operational when I was working for NAVSEA05, since the two normal Seawolfs have some unique capabilities that have become essential in the last decade. It's a no-poo poo huge strategic blow to the US Submarine Force that they let their worst CO drive one of them into a mountain, in a way that wouldn't be true of a VA or LA class.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
MARAD made this loving ship give all their plugs to a passing LCS so they could make 8 knots instead of 2 cause they didn't have plugs, stock, or a lathe. Now my watches have spent the last two days breaking open an intercooler, cleaning it, testing all the tubes, and machining 60+ #7 taper pins so I can plug all these loving poo poo tubes on this loving piece of poo poo that has never been loving touched with turbos that are well past their maintenance interval Im at a loss for word at this level of incompetence and negligence.

MAYBE loving APPROVE A REQ SO WE HAVE SPARE PLUGS ON HAND AND I DONT HAVE TO SPEND 30+ MAN HOURS MAKING PINS

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

lightpole posted:

MARAD made this loving ship give all their plugs to a passing LCS so they could make 8 knots instead of 2 cause they didn't have plugs, stock, or a lathe. Now my watches have spent the last two days breaking open an intercooler, cleaning it, testing all the tubes, and machining 60+ #7 taper pins so I can plug all these loving poo poo tubes on this loving piece of poo poo that has never been loving touched with turbos that are well past their maintenance interval Im at a loss for word at this level of incompetence and negligence.

MAYBE loving APPROVE A REQ SO WE HAVE SPARE PLUGS ON HAND AND I DONT HAVE TO SPEND 30+ MAN HOURS MAKING PINS

Lol I know what ship that is lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lol, gently caress that.

You know what? gently caress seawater heat exchangers, everything about them.

LCS's are what, max ten years old? How are their tubes that loving bad already?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elviscat posted:

Lol, gently caress that.

You know what? gently caress seawater heat exchangers, everything about them.

LCS's are what, max ten years old? How are their tubes that loving bad already?

That's the miracle of the lowest bidder, baby!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I would poo poo on the Navy for being so loving stupid as to build a ship without putting a lathe on it but MARAD is looking just as incompetent so I can't say anything. This is loving pathetic.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Nukes are currently getting 50k enlistment bonuses with up to 35k to ship to boot camp as soon as possible. What kind of loving suck are they going to encounter that the navy is that desperate for them?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think the answer is high suicide rates? Read the scenario that I just laid out and then imagine that in nuclear format and everything you do having to be absolutely perfect to some unimaginable degree.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MonkeyFit posted:

Nukes are currently getting 50k enlistment bonuses with up to 35k to ship to boot camp as soon as possible. What kind of loving suck are they going to encounter that the navy is that desperate for them?

Mostly the usual, if they're offering big bucks it means they'll be undermanned in the fleet, which can have the following consequences:

This loving sucks really bad for a few reasons:

1: immense pressure will be applied to Nuke School and the Prototypes to pass students at all costs. This means that nukes that are simply incapable of doing their job (for one reason or another) will be shipped to submarines and carriers, where they will provide no value, and be a net drag on their divisions. Their divisions will make their lives a living loving hell, with the goal of getting the underperforming sailor to try and "tap" (threaten to commit suicide, a pretty sure fire way to no longer be a nuke). Of course a few of these sailors will commit suicide.

2: Maintenance burden. Nuclear propelled vessels need immense amounts of maintenance, there are never enough sailors to do all of it in a timely fashion. It is not optional, so as divisions shrink, the days will get longer. If the ship and division are poorly run, the sailors will end up working a minimum of 12 hours a day, every day, even if they stood duty the day before and only had the opportunity to sleep 3-4 hours the night before. They will, of course, gently caress up maintenance, which will lead to longer hours, and soul crushing critiques that eat away valuable hours of free/maintenance time.

3: Duty rotation, a well manned boat has enough watchstanders to man a 4-section watch bill, that means out of every 96 hours you are trapped on the boat for 24 of them, sleeping and standing watch, after your 24 hours are done (you can sleep for 3-4 of those!) You usually work a full day if it's a weekday, on really well manned and run boats, you'll be sent home immediately following duty for a day of rest/recovery/errands etc, that won't be a possibility because of (2) above, also, critically, a 4 section rotation gives you at least one full weekend a month off, Friday evening, Sat and Sunday. If you don't have enough people, you drop to 3-section, where you do the same thing, but are trapped 24 out of 72 hours, and if you're 3 section, you know you're going Port-And-Starboard (24 out of 48) when people need to take leave/get sick, etc. So you'll be on duty 24 hours, work another 12, have 8-12 hours at home, and then loving do it over and over and over, until you crack or:

4: Go underway, if you don't have enough people, you'll end up standing port-and-stbd watches underway, either 9 on 9 off or 12 on 12 off. Not so bad, common for any ship. Until! It's time for ORSE (Operational Reactor Safeguards Exam), which is preceded by 1-2 months of bullshit, like ORSE drillsets, so you'll stand, say, 9 hours watch, run 9 hours of drills, stand 9 more hours of watch, get 4-5 hours of sleep, because your 9-12 off is 50% training, practice exams, and other sundry bullshit. This poo poo happened to me leading up to a failed ORSE on my first boat, I was falling asleep standing up near the end of the underway, I was awake for 48 plus hours on multiple occasions. To what should be the surprise of loving no one, a crew of sailors that could barely move or think hosed up drills so badly we broke the boat in ways that were a severe safety hazard, the Board had to call NAVSEA08 and tell him they couldn't continue.

5: Welcome back to port shipmates! We're starting at loving (1) again at 6am tomorrow morning, you want to see your family after 2 months at sea? You need a loving binky too, you loving crybaby?

That's the "acute" effects of undermanning, the long-term ones just make everything worse, any nuke competent enough to sweep a deck is getting the gently caress out after 4 years of spending 75% of their life wishing they were dead, stuck inside a metal dick. That means the nukes you retain are either loving sociopaths who get big hard elections after 2 hours of sleep between drills and watch, and the Master Skater, who knows how to do the bare minimum, have everyone else do his job, yet does just enough to avoid being hosed on by the command. Those two types of person will end up running every loving division, and making everything above worse, for example, the EDTA and EDMC on my first boat who "graded" exams by running them through the shredder, and giving everyone random numbers that yielded a 3.1-3.2 average.

Of course this is for Fast Attacks, YMMV, my Service Experience will be different from yours, etc.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Mostly the usual, if they're offering big bucks it means they'll be undermanned in the fleet, which can have the following consequences:

This loving sucks really bad for a few reasons:

It was mostly rhetorical. I was on an LA class, so I'm well aware of what kind of suck is possible. In a one year period, we had 20-25 people tap from my boat. From nubs to a chief or 2. They did a "submarine culture workshop," where they pulled people into conference rooms at squadron and asked them what the gently caress was going on. Then they finally released us to go to San Diego for training ops, and there was a brand new XO waiting on the pier for us, even though the guy he was replacing had only been on board for 7 months.

Truthfully, they just scapegoated everything onto that lovely XO. Really we should have gotten a new Captain, XO, EDMC and half the chief's quarters.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I mostly just start angry ranting whenever I think about the Navy, I like to read my old posts when I have a bad day at my job.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I only got one reenlistment bonus my whole career. I was a little salty about it until I remembered that every time we pulled into a port I was walking down the pier in civilian clothes watching the nukes hook up shore power. I was also coming back from Liberty when they had already been working forever. All of them.

Something's in life are worth more than money. I know they get great training and fantastic job opportunities when you get out, but all things considered you can keep your money.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flyinglemur posted:

I only got one reenlistment bonus my whole career. I was a little salty about it until I remembered that every time we pulled into a port I was walking down the pier in civilian clothes watching the nukes hook up shore power. I was also coming back from Liberty when they had already been working forever. All of them.

Something's in life are worth more than money. I know they get great training and fantastic job opportunities when you get out, but all things considered you can keep your money.

Do they?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, absolutely. As long as you are not a complete psychopath it is pretty easy to walk into 100k+/yr job when getting out. I have not made less than 100k a year since getting out, and one year I nearly hit 200, because I was doing a fair bit of overtime. Most years I don't work much overtime though. If you want to stay in the nuclear field 150k a year seems like it would be pretty achievable.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
PG&E has been constantly looking for people for Morro Bay and they keep extending the timeline for it. Some plants are way out in the middle of lovely places but they pay. PG&E operators were like 120-150 or something.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Yeah. Opportunities since I got out have been pretty good, especially since I have zero college credits to my name. But it's a miserable existence while you're in, and it only gets worse when you're undermanned.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

I mostly just start angry ranting whenever I think about the Navy, I like to read my old posts when I have a bad day at my job.

I screenshot your posts and others ITT when I need to tell people not to enlist. Ty for your service.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, absolutely. As long as you are not a complete psychopath it is pretty easy to walk into 100k+/yr job when getting out. I have not made less than 100k a year since getting out, and one year I nearly hit 200, because I was doing a fair bit of overtime. Most years I don't work much overtime though. If you want to stay in the nuclear field 150k a year seems like it would be pretty achievable.

I could make 1,168,000 a year if I sucked dick and let myself get hosed in the rear end for 400 an hr 8 hours a day, everyday. I think it would beat the Navy horror stories I’ve witnessed here, hands down. And I’m being conservative on the hourly rate here. That number can go up for sure. Don’t go nuke, tia.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

TheWeedNumber posted:

I could make 1,168,000 a year if I sucked dick and let myself get hosed in the rear end for 400 an hr 8 hours a day, everyday. I think it would beat the Navy horror stories I’ve witnessed here, hands down. And I’m being conservative on the hourly rate here. That number can go up for sure. Don’t go nuke, tia.

I mean that's what my 20 years felt like and I definitely didn't get paid that much

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elviscat posted:

It's a no-poo poo huge strategic blow to the US Submarine Force that they let their worst CO drive one of them into a mountain, in a way that wouldn't be true of a VA or LA class.
Were they known to be the worst CEO before they did a controlled dive into terrain?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Flyinglemur posted:

I mean that's what my 20 years felt like and I definitely didn't get paid that much

You would have had a cool 23.36 mil if you just hosed and got hosed by dudes. There’s plenty of money for intensive therapy and a drug habit there. You’d be aight. You’re tough, right?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

TheWeedNumber posted:

You would have had a cool 23.36 mil if you just hosed and got hosed by dudes. There’s plenty of money for intensive therapy and a drug habit there. You’d be aight. You’re tough, right?

You're missing the point. Why would I charge my friends for something I do for fun?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

“Experience may vary”

I’ll just hang out over here in my corner.

To make up for it a bit I do try to mentor people that are currently in on how to land that first IT job especially those doing a one and done.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

TheWeedNumber posted:

I am not sure if you are just making up an odd analogy or what here, or if you have access to a job that pays that much, or whatever. Being a Navy nuke definitely sucked and was a really difficult time for me, but it did set me up for a lot of success in life now. I did 10 years, but most of the folks I work with did 6 and they make the same amount or more than I do now. 6 years is a long time, but for some folks the payoff was definitely worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am not sure if you are just making up an odd analogy or what here, or if you have access to a job that pays that much, or whatever. Being a Navy nuke definitely sucked and was a really difficult time for me, but it did set me up for a lot of success in life now. I did 10 years, but most of the folks I work with did 6 and they make the same amount or more than I do now. 6 years is a long time, but for some folks the payoff was definitely worth it.

A lot of people just love to hate.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheWeedNumber posted:

Also I’m not sure who you are yellin at here because there are exactly 0 people (most likely) on this site who would even go fresh into the navy. The average age is well over 30+ at this point.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got out well before I hit 30, glad I did too.

FTN.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I didn't know the dick sucking factory built an rear end loving annex. Time to update my LinkedIn profile.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
They offer salad tossing OTJ apprenticeships as well

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I didn't know the dick sucking factory built an rear end loving annex. Time to update my LinkedIn profile.

Horizontal integration

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Probably ran out of dicks and are waiting for a new shipment to come in.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Were they known to be the worst CEO before they did a controlled dive into terrain?

Yep, two different Letters of Instruction, one for smacking a pier with the boat* and one for covering up a bed-bug infestation that made national news.

*in a twist of fate, this ended up with EB accidentally destroying the spare 21 class sonar dome, and getting a head start tooling up to make a new one, which should be a big help in repairing the 22.

RE: jobs, a lot of the mythical "6 figgie" jobs you can walk right into as a nuke kinda suck, I haven't heard anything more positive than "it pays well" and "it's better than the Navy!" From guys that go into civilian nuke jobs or data center operations, I would 100% suggest any nuke getting out puts that GI bill to use on a college degree if able.

I didn't do that, but I lucked out big time, I absolutely love the job I got right after I got out, it's in a completely different field, it pays great, I love my coworkers and the guys who work for me, day-to-day I get to put my skills to use teaching people how to bolt together state-of-the-art technology, instead of desperately trying to maintain a floating pile of rust in serviceable condition, with grossly inadequate support. I usually work <50 hours a week and get almost every (3 day!) weekend off, and if I work more, I'm well compensated for my time. I took a decade of experience trying desperately to keep my guys from getting hosed every single day and applied that to being a manager, and it's made me extremely popular with the dudes that work for me (per anonymous employee satisfaction survey). When I travel, I have friends in almost every state in the country who I can grab drinks with, catch up, and get shown around. Life's great, and I owe a lot of that to being in the Navy and being a Nuke.

Would I do it again?

gently caress no! If Joe Biden himself offered me a $1M/yr salary to do one more year on a submarine, I'd tell him to shove it up his rear end. But would I appreciate how good my life is as much as I do now if I had never joined? Probably not.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I just got past 6 figures myself but I had to be 6 years clear of the Navy to do it. Did the navy give me a boost? Probably, my rear end would still be working in retail in bumfuck nowhere if I didn't.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Yep, two different Letters of Instruction, one for smacking a pier with the boat* and one for covering up a bed-bug infestation that made national news.

*in a twist of fate, this ended up with EB accidentally destroying the spare 21 class sonar dome, and getting a head start tooling up to make a new one, which should be a big help in repairing the 22.

RE: jobs, a lot of the mythical "6 figgie" jobs you can walk right into as a nuke kinda suck, I haven't heard anything more positive than "it pays well" and "it's better than the Navy!" From guys that go into civilian nuke jobs or data center operations, I would 100% suggest any nuke getting out puts that GI bill to use on a college degree if able.

I didn't do that, but I lucked out big time, I absolutely love the job I got right after I got out, it's in a completely different field, it pays great, I love my coworkers and the guys who work for me, day-to-day I get to put my skills to use teaching people how to bolt together state-of-the-art technology, instead of desperately trying to maintain a floating pile of rust in serviceable condition, with grossly inadequate support. I usually work <50 hours a week and get almost every (3 day!) weekend off, and if I work more, I'm well compensated for my time. I took a decade of experience trying desperately to keep my guys from getting hosed every single day and applied that to being a manager, and it's made me extremely popular with the dudes that work for me (per anonymous employee satisfaction survey). When I travel, I have friends in almost every state in the country who I can grab drinks with, catch up, and get shown around. Life's great, and I owe a lot of that to being in the Navy and being a Nuke.

Would I do it again?

gently caress no! If Joe Biden himself offered me a $1M/yr salary to do one more year on a submarine, I'd tell him to shove it up his rear end. But would I appreciate how good my life is as much as I do now if I had never joined? Probably not.

Data centers are a pretty good gig. All the nukes I work with really like it, and it is a great job. Of course there are better or worse organizations to hire on with, but it is no where comparable to the stress and bullshit of civilian nuclear.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My first job post retirement and grad school was at an equine assisted therapy facility. Every morning started off with a hug from the owner. I told her I didn't know how to act in an actual nurturing environment that cared about the person I was.

Edit: it was not a six figure job. It was a great job though

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Datapoint: I absolutely leveraged being a nuke into a couple of gigs, both lab tech work that weren't nuclear-power related.

I did not and have not felt grateful to the Nav for this, but it did work out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I actually got a couple of good things from TAP class. One of them was that I could tell prospective employers that while I might not be fully qualified for the position, my years in the military show that I can be trained to do anything and that I will at the very least be at work on time. I thought that was some bullshit until I got to a couple of jobs and was like, well yeah at least I'm here on time.

I had zero experience with horses before I got hired to be a counselor at the farm that did equine (non-riding) therapy. But I had amazing people that taught me everything I needed to know and before I knew it I was pretty good with them.

One day at morning muster for Deck Department on LST-1197 the Ship's Bos'm told me and another undes SN to "get your poo poo out of my berthing, you work for Guns now." I didn't stick around for clarification. I met with the Chief and the two GMG1s and told them I had never shot an actual weapon before. The looks on their faces was great, so I told them that the good news was, they didn't have to teach me to unlearn any bad habbits and would do whatever I was told. I eventually qualled ship's armorer and duty GM as an E3. When my orders for STS A school came in, I got offered a CAP to GMG3 but I told them I really wanted to be an STS.

The moral of these dumb rear end stories is that your ability to navigate the military, no matter how long you served or what you did, gave you tools that you might not have realized.