Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Asterite34 posted:

As hilarious as I find the image of Tingle doing the equivalent of eating pennies all day, it's actually way more hosed up than that

It turns out "being Tingle" is a horrible curse inflicted on people by a Mammon-esque demon of greed named Uncle Rupee who enslaves poor dupes into empowering him by giving him Rupees in exchange for one day granting them entry into the paradise of "Rupeeland" (actually a horrifying Hell)
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Asterite34 posted:

As hilarious as I find the image of Tingle doing the equivalent of eating pennies all day, it's actually way more hosed up than that

It turns out "being Tingle" is a horrible curse inflicted on people by a Mammon-esque demon of greed named Uncle Rupee who enslaves poor dupes into empowering him by giving him Rupees in exchange for one day granting them entry into the paradise of "Rupeeland" (actually a horrifying Hell)

gently caress I kinda want to play this game now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Manoueverable posted:

From what I've read, there's a great touch for the main quest at Hyrule Castle that got lost in localization:

Apparently in Japanese Link uses the Adventure Log as a diary (iirc this was the case in BotW as well) and his entry for "Find Princess Zelda" indicates he wants to see her smile again. The fake Zelda gives him a mocking smirk before she reveals her true nature.

Oh man that's actually really neat :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Having just completed the Crisis at Hyrule Castle and Find the 5th Sage quests and seeing what comes next after that, may I just say that having Koroks venture into the Depths is extremely anxiety inducing and I don't want them in there please get out little guys :ohdear:

Edit: ahh gently caress and now I got into the Hidden Forest and it's even more hosed up :gonk:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

This lore is more deeply explored in... ugh... Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland

I thought this was a low effort Chuck Tingle joke but wtf all of this poo poo about Tingle is real :catstare: What the hell, Japan.

PYF Chuck Tingle Zelda book title (or maybe it’s best if we don’t)

pounded in the depths by Zelda’s dragon at Master Kohga’s glory hole

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 15, 2023

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I bet this guy doesn't even know about Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.

quote:

Similar to Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, the game starts with an ordinary, 35-year-old man. While he watches a sales program on television, the man learns of a book called "Ripened Valiant Heroes Balloon Trip of Love". It is a story about a hero that leaves his parents to save a princess. The book, which normally costs 4800 Rupees, is being offered for only 2 Rupees. He orders the book, but he gets sucked into the world of a picture book when he opens it and transforms into Tingle. He learns that the only way to get out of the book is to dance with the princess of this world, which is the main goal of the game.

Tingle gets to know three new helpful friends in the world inspired by characters from The Wizard of Oz: Kakashi the scarecrow, Buriki the tin woman, and Lion the lion. The cheerful Kakashi is small and therefore he is able to get into small spaces, while Buriki is very intelligent and the cowardly Lion is notable for his strength. Tingle has to wisely use the abilities of his friends in order to solve the puzzles.

A central gameplay element is the romantic communication with female characters. To complete the game, Tingle has to have some form of relationship with each of the five available girls. To raise the girl's affections, he must enter the "Love Push" mode, and attempt to raise their "love meters". He does this by giving them gifts, where each gift has a different effect on each girl. Most gifts are purchased from Loveya for a certain amount Rupees, but there are some items which may be found laying around in various places.

Kooloo Limpah!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not only is that game weird, but if you do all the stuff in the game, you get the bad ending. if you don't do everything, you get the good ending.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

loquacius posted:

gently caress I kinda want to play this game now

It's a really fun game, for all the poo poo it and Tingle get.

The only problem is that in order to make it fun you have to evade the central mechanism of "you have to pay for everything and you have to guess how much no no clues whatsoever gently caress you that's why" or you will die more often than... me fighting lynels.

Find a price list online and it's got great design, great level design, fun characters and plenty of stupid jokes. It's baffling that they gated that behind the above incredibly stupid gameplay decision.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
finally got all the shrines :toot:

my opinion of the final reward is the hair should be like 300% fluffier, I mean seriously, look at the tapestry version. Where is the floof, nintendo??

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

I bet this guy doesn't even know about Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.

Kooloo Limpah!

...I could have happily gone the rest of my life without knowing there was a Tingle dating sim :gonk:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m trying to figure out why I can’t get dragon claws. I know how to pick up the shards sitting at the base of their back spikes, I can smack the horn on their head for a horn drop, but howwwwwww do I get claws? Can I only get a claw OR a horn? I hit the horn and the rest of the spikes dimmed, now my arrows shoot through their feet. I’m confused and annoyed by this.

I just want to get my fierce deity gear to level 2 and hopefully never upgrade armor again.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m trying to figure out why I can’t get dragon claws. I know how to pick up the shards sitting at the base of their back spikes, I can smack the horn on their head for a horn drop, but howwwwwww do I get claws? Can I only get a claw OR a horn? I hit the horn and the rest of the spikes dimmed, now my arrows shoot through their feet. I’m confused and annoyed by this.

I just want to get my fierce deity gear to level 2 and hopefully never upgrade armor again.

Correct, only get a claw OR a horn OR a scale.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Wildtortilla posted:

One non-shard drop per dragon per 10 real world minutes.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
If you got time to kill, you can park Link on the dragon and wait 10 minutes to get another piece (and repeat that for as many pieces as you need). Just keep in mind elemental dragons need protection to do this safely (fireproof gear, Rito gear and Shock protection)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you got time to kill, you can park Link on the dragon and wait 10 minutes to get another piece (and repeat that for as many pieces as you need). Just keep in mind elemental dragons need protection to do this safely (fireproof gear, Rito gear and Shock protection)

Their flight path is not conducive to you standing still on their back for ten minutes at a time

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Their flight path is not conducive to you standing still on their back for ten minutes at a time

I haven't tested it, but couldn't you just climb up on a spike and stay there while afk?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mymla posted:

I haven't tested it, but couldn't you just climb up on a spike and stay there while afk?

as far as i could tell when i last played, yeah this will keep you on the dagron indefinitely

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, you have to shoot their feet. Their claws apparently do not have a hit box.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
The "straight up" and "straight down" portions might be a problem if you just stand there. I've never grinded the dragons though since it's not an optimal way to get resources. You can literally just run around and do anything else while you wait for them to recharge. Or, if you're doing all of them at once I'm sure it will take at least 10 minutes to merely get to each of the dragons and grab the 4 fragments. So there'd effectively be zero cooldown.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: ahh gently caress and now I got into the Hidden Forest and it's even more hosed up :gonk:

Lol yeah, this and the Goron Quest were some pretty “whaaaaaaaaat the gently caress is going on???” moments for me

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Lol yeah, this and the Goron Quest were some pretty “whaaaaaaaaat the gently caress is going on???” moments for me

I'm still amazed they went with the plot point of "Ganondorf takes a page from Reagan's playbook and floods Goron City with crack to destroy the Goron community." I guess he figured there was nothing he could do to Death Mountain to make it any more physically inhospitable than it already is, so he just had to attack the populace directly

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

crack rocks

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

The "straight up" and "straight down" portions might be a problem if you just stand there.

No, you just need to stand behind the neck ridge when they start heading down and stand on the nose when they head up. Riding a dragon through the depths is soothing (and handy for spotting lightroots and whatnot).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How often do they go down there? I would've guessed it was much less frequent given the size of the world, but I guess I have no real idea.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I found that for horns, scales and teeth you didn't need to leave the dragon but it was real tricky to get the claw and not have to remount the dragon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

How often do they go down there? I would've guessed it was much less frequent given the size of the world, but I guess I have no real idea.

The dragons follow a set cycle, but I don't know how long that cycle is.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

They loop, so pretty much the same amount of time above and below I'd guess. They don't have timetables to come in and out of the specific chasms on their route though, unfortunately. I was hoping to be able to pick up eg the scheduled Dinraal 5.30am at Akkala chasm but alas nope.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished all the shrines. That's.... quite the reward.... :allears:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Asterite34 posted:

...I could have happily gone the rest of my life without knowing there was a Tingle dating sim :gonk:

It's more of an adventure game than a dating sim, that's just one of the components.

The D-Pad (https://www.youtube.com/@the_dpad) has let's plays of the tingle games if you're interested. Along with, uh, every other zelda game. And a lot of other games.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

MokBa fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 15, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I had to dodge a bunch of lightning balls to glide onto the electric dragon, but walking around on its back I seemed to be pretty safe. Does the dragon target you if you stick around too long?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Space Fish posted:

I had to dodge a bunch of lightning balls to glide onto the electric dragon, but walking around on its back I seemed to be pretty safe. Does the dragon target you if you stick around too long?

Not really. It's pretty safe right behind each of their heads, as long as you're wearing temperature specific gear. You can stand through the vertical sections or just find a place to cling on indefinitely. It's just boring.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Golux posted:

It's more of an adventure game than a dating sim, that's just one of the components.

The D-Pad (https://www.youtube.com/@the_dpad) has let's plays of the tingle games if you're interested. Along with, uh, every other zelda game. And a lot of other games.

There’s also a great playthrough on the Vinesauce Fullsauce channel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Fish posted:

They're random and sometimes can hit you there. Helmet or rubber suit will counter that

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

They loop, so pretty much the same amount of time above and below I'd guess. They don't have timetables to come in and out of the specific chasms on their route though, unfortunately. I was hoping to be able to pick up eg the scheduled Dinraal 5.30am at Akkala chasm but alas nope.

This is how it worked in BotW, but for TotK they changed the dragons to not be linked to time of day progression anymore. Now when you pass time at an inn or campfire the dragons stay where they happened to be in their current loop. Dinraal, Farosh, and Naydra are on ~30 minute routes, the Light Dragon takes about 2 hours.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you're quick you can shoot the fang or claw, grab it, then use the updrafts to hop back on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have two shrines yet and even with maps I can't find them. Are temples shrines?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HootTheOwl posted:

I have two shrines yet and even with maps I can't find them. Are temples shrines?

No. Have you got all the lightroots? Any of your existing shrines got an orange centre?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there are a go-to guide for materials all the one page?

I want to get a crystal off a frost talus, but I need level 2 snow gear to negate his frost effect, which means hunting red chuchus and scouring for a plant you can't buy that grows in a desert full of hostile bug people.

It's galling that after two sages, a hundred shrines, every lightroot, and nearly every side adventure, I still find myself short of even basic materials needed to upgrade a hat a whopping two points. The item economy is hosed, even for casual players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there are a go-to guide for materials all the one page?

I want to get a crystal off a frost talus, but I need level 2 snow gear to negate his frost effect, which means hunting red chuchus and scouring for a plant you can't buy that grows in a desert full of hostile bug people.

It's galling that after two sages, a hundred shrines, every lightroot, and nearly every side adventure, I still find myself short of even basic materials needed to upgrade a hat a whopping two points. The item economy is hosed, even for casual players.

Wait; what? Why do you need to negate the effect? Make a potion, or throw a fire fruit at him to thaw him? Or a red jelly. Or a fire Keese wing?

I don’t disagree the item economy is too broad, but you may be making this harder than you need to.