Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

It's bank term bullshit, right? Paging nerds to explain this to me stat.

yep. iirc the property value is partly based on the nominal rent, so if they reduce the rent in order to actually rent it out, the property becomes less valuable as collateral/goes underwater/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Hmmmmmmmm, something seems off.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah it's like something is fundamentally wrong with rent seeking

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GalenMetzger1/status/1680120688793866244?t=8nLfHxGtEwH2-CgQ_xHC5g&s=19

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zodium posted:

yep. iirc the property value is partly based on the nominal rent, so if they reduce the rent in order to actually rent it out, the property becomes less valuable as collateral/goes underwater/etc.

Which in turn impacts the variable interest rate they pay, which is the important step because that’s where it really starts to incentivize 80% occupancy at 2.5k/mo over 95% occupancy at 2.3k/mo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's weird realizing that this sort of thing would send me on a rant if you made the mistake of saying it to me in person. But I'm a huge nerd and that's par for the course.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's weird realizing that this sort of thing would send me on a rant if you made the mistake of saying it to me in person. But I'm a huge nerd and that's par for the course.

Yeah WWI was inevitable, the particular flashpoint we got is interesting for the drama and because it gives it a tidy narrative, but if Gav hadn’t domed Franz it would have been something else. The clash of empires was inevitable

Same with WWII

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

On the other hand, the amount of insane coincidences involved in the archduke shooting (archduke's driver getting lost after canceling security details for hospital trip, gavrilo deciding to detour for snacks way off the escape route, the driver making a five point turn before this exact cafe, etc etc) does strongly imply that fate/god/materialism god really really wanted this specific event and was willing to thumb the scale super hard

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah WWI was inevitable, the particular flashpoint we got is interesting for the drama and because it gives it a tidy narrative, but if Gav hadn’t domed Franz it would have been something else. The clash of empires was inevitable

Same with WWII

it's a really interesting history thing because nothing in history is inevitable but it was extremely likely. War didn't break out over Bosnia in 1909 or Morocco in 1911 but it easily could have, and then we'd just think of that as the inevitable spark for WWI instead. Conversely, if Franz Ferdinand hadn't been assassinated or if that crisis had been resolved diplomatically, there probably would have been another crisis a few years later and a few years after that until war did start. But then there are also events that seem inevitable but each time there's a potential spark they manage to back down, like the series of superpower confrontations during the Cold War, so you can imagine a hypothetical history where they manage to keep resolving crises diplomatically until something changes to make the extremely likely war less likely

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

On the other hand, the amount of insane coincidences involved in the archduke shooting (archduke's driver getting lost after canceling security details for hospital trip, gavrilo deciding to detour for snacks way off the escape route, the driver making a five point turn before this exact cafe, etc etc) does strongly imply that fate/god/materialism god really really wanted this specific event and was willing to thumb the scale super hard

The main upshot of the assassination was that it removed the most moderate member of the government and supercharged the reactionary forces. And it's hard to really convey how god drat stupid and arrogant the people running the Austrian government were. Just historic dolts. Not only did they need Germany to bail them out in Serbia but they managed only a bloody stalemate against the Italians when the Italian Army was being led by another historic dolt Luigi Cardona. Cardona was a man so ferociously bloody-minded that he actually decimated, literally decimated, a unit after they failed to carry out one of his idiotic assaults during the Battles of Isonzo.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Historical materialism requires believing that systems matter more than individuals, and if history has proven one thing it's that we'll invent increasingly complex reasons why actually individual actors DO matter and in fact matter more than systems

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

vyelkin posted:

it's a really interesting history thing because nothing in history is inevitable but it was extremely likely. War didn't break out over Bosnia in 1909 or Morocco in 1911 but it easily could have, and then we'd just think of that as the inevitable spark for WWI instead. Conversely, if Franz Ferdinand hadn't been assassinated or if that crisis had been resolved diplomatically, there probably would have been another crisis a few years later and a few years after that until war did start. But then there are also events that seem inevitable but each time there's a potential spark they manage to back down, like the series of superpower confrontations during the Cold War, so you can imagine a hypothetical history where they manage to keep resolving crises diplomatically until something changes to make the extremely likely war less likely

Yeah that’s a good point and inevitable was too strong a word by a little, although not much imo

The main point though is that the great man theory is bunk because great men are as much slaves to their times and places and circumstances as anyone else. They’re interesting to focus on for the narrative but they’re as driven by the great tides of history as anyone else

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah that’s a good point and inevitable was too strong a word by a little, although not much imo

The main point though is that the great man theory is bunk because great men are as much slaves to their times and places and circumstances as anyone else. They’re interesting to focus on for the narrative but they’re as driven by the great tides of history as anyone else

yep, absolutely. Great man history is fun but it doesn't have much analytical value

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Great man history but only ranked by coal shovelled and millet reaped

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FFT posted:

They keep the rental rates higher that way. Yeah, they could rent the empties out at lower rates, but overall they'd make less profit because it's basically a cartel system and having higher average rent benefits them.

Yeah it's just basic business sense to price your goods to get maximum profit, which doesn't have to be the price that sells out your entire inventory.

If you own 10 units and can rent them all out for $1000 each, or you can raise the price to $2000 each and still rent 9 out while the 10th guy who can't afford it ends up homeless on the street, you make more money doing the second thing even though you're taking a loss on the empty unit the other 9 more than make up for it.

Same reason grocery stores destroy unsold food rather than cutting the price as much as it takes to sell everything. They'd rather sell 90% of their apples at a dollar each than sell 100% of their apples at 10 cents each.

It's funny how businesspeople pretend not to understand really fundamental business principles.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

projecthalaxy posted:

quote:

The archduke's chamberlain, Baron Rumerskirch, proposed that the couple remain at the Town Hall until troops could be brought into the city to line the streets. Governor-General Oskar Potiorek vetoed this suggestion[82] on the grounds that soldiers coming straight from maneuvers would not have the dress uniforms appropriate for such duties. "Do you think that Sarajevo is full of assassins?" he concluded.[82]
What are you gonna do, shoot Franz Ferdinand?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

projecthalaxy posted:

But the story of the assassin coincidentally seeing him is a myth. The assassination was well-planned. Gavrilo Princip was waiting outside that deli because the conspirators had calculated several of the most likely escape routes, and knew that the Archduke's car would have to turn sharply on that street if that was the route he took. The story that he went to the deli for a sandwich came from a 2001 comedic Brazilian novel, then it was reported as fact by a documentary and entered pop history.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The materialism angels really knew what they were about that day.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
great man history except it means you assume that the tallest dude involved was the most important in any particular historic event

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cerebral Bore posted:

great man history except it means you assume that the tallest dude involved was the most important in any particular historic event
except for Napoleon's deliberate selection of guards, are you even wrong

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Chamale posted:

But the story of the assassin coincidentally seeing him is a myth. The assassination was well-planned. Gavrilo Princip was waiting outside that deli because the conspirators had calculated several of the most likely escape routes, and knew that the Archduke's car would have to turn sharply on that street if that was the route he took. The story that he went to the deli for a sandwich came from a 2001 comedic Brazilian novel, then it was reported as fact by a documentary and entered pop history.

hm. nope.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Luc Longley was the most important man on the 96 bulls roster prove me wrong

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

quote:

Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Luc Longley was the most important man on the 96 bulls roster prove me wrong

nominative determinism strikes again

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lol the "Do you think that Sarajevo is full of assassins?" line came after someone bombed the Archduke's motorcade

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vyelkin posted:

What, aside from the threat of nuclear war, would be able to forestall the war indefinitely? And would nukes have been invented without a war convincing scientists to go through with inventing a doomsday weapon? I kinda have a hard time imagining no WW1 - but I suppose it might get delayed a generation, ending with nukes a reality and an alternate Cold War setting in rather than setting up WW2.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Great Man theory but only for McFarlane missing his flight

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What, aside from the threat of nuclear war, would be able to forestall the war indefinitely? And would nukes have been invented without a war convincing scientists to go through with inventing a doomsday weapon? I kinda have a hard time imagining no WW1 - but I suppose it might get delayed a generation, ending with nukes a reality and an alternate Cold War setting in rather than setting up WW2.

I would imagine something like the same thing that ended the Cold War, a national collapse in one of the leading rivals. Like idk, if Austria-Hungary somehow managed to collapse into its constituent parts because of an internal revolution or a failed reform program or something, that changes the material balance of powers enough that a war like WWI would look very different if it happened at all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

God chose that moment for WW1 to start because it was when His chosen, the H1N1 strain of influenza virus, was prepared to embrace the moment

The notion that mankind could delay or otherwise foil this plan is the height of vanity

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

projecthalaxy posted:

IMO that's the work of a lazy writer who has a conclusion they want to get to but can't figure out how to get there organically. two stars

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VitalSigns posted:

lol the "Do you think that Sarajevo is full of assassins?" line came after someone bombed the Archduke's motorcade
yeah it was literally "what are the odds someone throws another bomb" (okay it was a gun the second time but work with me)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Before World War II, the Great Powers were standing right up next to their chalk lines, leaning over the boundary, daring each other to hang just one hair over the chalk.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
little did they know hitler had dandruff and was very sensitive about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yeah it was literally "what are the odds someone throws another bomb" (okay it was a gun the second time but work with me)

"what are you gonna do, assassinate me?"

- quote from man assassinated

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I would imagine something like the same thing that ended the Cold War, a national collapse in one of the leading rivals. Like idk, if Austria-Hungary somehow managed to collapse into its constituent parts because of an internal revolution or a failed reform program or something, that changes the material balance of powers enough that a war like WWI would look very different if it happened at all.
WW1 here just means the first industrialized pan-European war, not the exact setup of WW1. Austria-Hungary collapsing doesn't really "solve" anything, it just makes it a lot more likely Italy will be on (a now engorged) Germany's side when things pop off, resulting in a WW1.5 kinda setup.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"well, you can't say sarajevo doesnt love you mr archduke"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/wh0remaxxer/status/1680295786318553088

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You could just pursue your racist dating preferences without saying anything. Nobody is going to vet you, and just publicly declaring you'll only date white people makes you look like a loving idiot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cops are a race and the military a religion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

:thunk: Given that violent crime is statistically more likely to happen when both victim and perpetrator share the same ethnicity, we can conclude that mixed couples are therefore the safest.