Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Look at those fans reaching out longingly to touch SANADA. Understandable.

I'm reaching out at my TV but he's not touching me someone please advise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

watching the matches i missed. kidd vs owens started out far better than the ussual bc vs bc laydown tease shtick. not sold on finlay as leader but the tag team's cool

edit: boo at ending tho

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 15, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

pretty disappointed with the quality for an opening show. umino/narita was pretty good, wasn't into the Equilibrium story, yota should never lose. Thanks.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
uhhhh so gabe kidd rules now

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

fez_machine posted:

finally we're in the ring and Chase can bring this match down

lmao INSTANTLY

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is my first G1. I was a little underwhelmed despite thinking the matches ranged from "fine" to "Taichi v Ospreay." I don't know what it is, if it's the transition from usual NJPW lineups where I get to see a lot of silly as balls tag matches to a card of singles matches. Whether it was people simply finding their feet in a new to them (for this year) event. Or whether it's simply because the narrative of the tournament's fights hasn't been established.

Still pretty happy with it as a few hours of Saturday viewing, and I wasn't as down on Kenta's match as some people seem to be, but that could be because I think he's the handsomest man in an all of Japan.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

guys we are less than 24 hours from Shingo vs Eddie.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Just finished watching and holy poo poo still can't get over that my boy Taichi won!!! Also that Ren Narita/Shota Umino draw was my match of the night.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

yea ok posted:

pretty disappointed with the quality for an opening show. umino/narita was pretty good, wasn't into the Equilibrium story, yota should never lose. Thanks.

I think the idea that the 3 Musketeers all draw with each other but all lose to Kaito has some legs.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Agree that Taichi vs. Ospreay shoulda mained and that Umino vs. Narita was match of the night. I didn't make a bracket cause every time I tried to pick for A Block I had Kiyomiya, SANADA, and Tsuji all tied for first place.

Does Taichi pinning Ospreay mean the former can challenge for the US title?

Shingo and Eddie is gonna be a great match. Night 2 will be great I think. Cobb, ZSJ, Ishii, Takagi, Eddie... All capable of really nice stuff.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Narita vs Umino loving rocked!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It's been so long! I missed you NJPW!

TAICHI!!!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

fun first night!

Taichi!!!!

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
It was a decent enough first night. Mixed feelings on Ospreay's "hosed equilibrium" selling. On the one hand I think it's creative and a good way to put something you might see in legit combat sports into wrestling. On the other hand it don't make much sense because a burst eardrum doesn't recover in the space of two minutes, and he was doing quite coordinated poo poo towards the end there. Still a good match though

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Fun show! Looking forward to many more years of Shota vs. Ren and possibly Yota vs. Kaito.

I wonder if the time limit will come into play as a strategy in some matches. ELP might not think he can beat Okada, but maybe he thinks he can last 20 minutes if he's careful and get a point out of it.

Shingo/Eddie, Tana/ZSJ, and Naito/Cobb should be great on night 2, and hopefully Ishii brings the best out of Finlay.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

People need to adopt the Yujiro strategy, I can't fight at your level but I can sure drag you down to mine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mrenda posted:

This is my first G1. I was a little underwhelmed despite thinking the matches ranged from "fine" to "Taichi v Ospreay." I don't know what it is, if it's the transition from usual NJPW lineups where I get to see a lot of silly as balls tag matches to a card of singles matches. Whether it was people simply finding their feet in a new to them (for this year) event. Or whether it's simply because the narrative of the tournament's fights hasn't been established.

Still pretty happy with it as a few hours of Saturday viewing, and I wasn't as down on Kenta's match as some people seem to be, but that could be because I think he's the handsomest man in an all of Japan.

Welcome to the G1!

This was underwhelming as far as first nights usually go, which isn't an indictment of the show which I still thought was very, very good but just how hot some prior tournament starts have been. The great thing about G1 is that it keeps building and the pressure really gets on for the wrestlers as their wins and losses have enormous impacts on where they're going to end in the final rankings, whether they'll win or face the humiliation of a last place ranking, or those who can salvage something with a win over a champion that earns them a future title shot even if they don't win the tournament etc.

SG Bamboo posted:

People need to adopt the Yujiro strategy, I can't fight at your level but I can sure drag you down to mine

No no, that's how we get House of Torture! :gonk:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I could see a story of ZSJ closing out his matches sub-15 because he's used to the pace from being TV champion, and then maybe Naito's the one to push him to the final 5.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Looking forward to cheering on Finlay (:geno:)/Yano (:geno:)/Mad Mikey/Shane/Shingo/ZSJ/Tama/Naito (:geno:) this afternoon.

Also looking forward to if Mikey gets his singles theme or if he and Shane are stuck with the TMDK music

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mrenda posted:

You'd have loved the golden age 2 block G1s from 2013 to 2019. Worth it to check out at least one of those when you have an incredible amount of time on your hands.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 16, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Click through for today's #SamsaStats

https://twitter.com/TheChrisSamsa/status/1680422031043575808

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I could see a story of ZSJ closing out his matches sub-15 because he's used to the pace from being TV champion, and then maybe Naito's the one to push him to the final 5.

Would be hilarious of each of ZSJ's losses in the tournament were after the 15 minute mark, meaning he could argue they would have lost if the TV title was on the line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Show is starting with TOUGH AND HARD BITE U

bartok
May 10, 2006

This is like when Stevie Ray was the leader of the NWO Black and White

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
matrix goth rave lookin rear end mf

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I picked David Finlay to win this. I hope I'm wrong and this match ruins my predictions for the entire night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good lord, Ishii :stare:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
bonk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JESUS

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Good match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boo! Boo my prediction was accurate! Boo to me!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
From FTR/BCG in Calgary to Omega/Vikingo in Tijuana to the G1 in Japan.

What a special night for wrestling. :)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Although maybe Ishii shouldn't use his head as a cannonball so much.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
Im disappointed that I tipped that correctly

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

1glitch0 posted:

From FTR/BCG in Calgary to Omega/Vikingo in Tijuana to the G1 in Japan.

What a special night for wrestling. :)

that AAA card was a special disaster even by the standards of AAA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris Brookes absolutely seething right now.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
gently caress u finlay you geek

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
how are there two different cards within hours of each other with mascots walking the entrance ramp

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
... why does Toru Yano's theme go so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:lol: Charlton saying Kevin was googling "Bears in my Area in Tokyo"