Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
ANIME IS REAL DAVID IS REAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Can't just stand there and be like, lol I'm tall, my friend.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hokuseiho really looked like a bumbling idiot there

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Shodai

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

gently caress it, I believe

I'd like to trade Meisei for Nishikigi if available.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I will always keep the faith

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i really want literally some guy gonoyama to win personally and not just for fantasy reasons

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
OK SHODAI, I KNOW YOU ARE SHODAI, BUT THIS MAN IS INJURED. HE'S LIKE HOMER SIMPSON'S HOBO OPPONENTS. YOU JUST NEED TO NUDGE HIM. SHODAI! SHODAIIIIIIII!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

can't believe he didn't somehow gently caress up the teru fight

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On a nice lower card note, it's cool to see ol' salaryman Takarfuji doing well and clearly doing more aggressive sumo. Not just doing that defensive, 0-lateral-movement sumo that has failed him a lot in previous bashos.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

does anyone have any theories of what the gently caress happened to mitakeumi?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beeswax posted:

I will always keep the faith

I was going to say.. Any sumo newcomers who find themselves excited about Takayasu in a position to make a yusho run, I have some... mental health advice for you...

Hokuseiho knows that you're allowed to use both hands,, right?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 14, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

does anyone have any theories of what the gently caress happened to mitakeumi?

Previously (what led to his ozeki demotion)? Long COVID was suspected.

Right now? Well, his dad did pass away last week.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kuros posted:

:negative: everything looked so good on paper.

I'm pretty sure everybody has had this exact same reaction to a team they drafted. The wiles of sumo!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anakha posted:

Previously (what led to his ozeki demotion)? Long COVID was suspected.

Right now? Well, his dad did pass away last week.

that's.... well i wish i never asked. sorry mitak.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

that's.... well i wish i never asked. sorry mitak.
That sucks. If I knew that before the tourney, I would have thought the only possible results for him would have been a 15-0 triumphant win one for pops tourney or 0-15 dude is a mess and should probably stay out to not get hurt if he's not thinking straight basho.

Dude was so consistently solid for so long I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around how he's fallen so fast. For like a 6 year period, dude was almost a lock for 8-9 at S/K. Just looked up his stats and after a rough 6-9 debut at Komusubi, he went on a 5+ year run ending with his Ozeki promotion where he only had back to back MK once, his worst result was a singular 6-9 and was never lower than M3.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Tommy Mawashi yusho?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Tommy Mawashi yusho?

Tommy Bahama is already on the big side, I want to see a Tommy Bahama branded mawashi.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

If Nishigiki gets this yusho, my sumo ego is going to be the size of several large planets.

He gives me goeido vibes and that's why I latched on to him. Dude owns

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I love Ura

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Incredible effort and stick-to-it-iveness today

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hakuoho removed the shoulder tape to unleash his full power on Gonoyama.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I love when Hokuseiho appears to forget he has two arms

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hokuseiho might have hit the plateau of Being Big because his tachiai is ugly as sin and his technique isn't there either. He's the only rikishi who looks to be straight up terrified to be in the ring.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Lid posted:

Hokuseiho might have hit the plateau of Being Big because his tachiai is ugly as sin and his technique isn't there either. He's the only rikishi who looks to be straight up terrified to be in the ring.

He does have the longest way down when going bowling for shimpan.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/tochinoshin/status/1679992503838326785?s=19

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

he should have retired sooner for many reasons.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I love it

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

pseudodragon posted:

That sucks. If I knew that before the tourney, I would have thought the only possible results for him would have been a 15-0 triumphant win one for pops tourney or 0-15 dude is a mess and should probably stay out to not get hurt if he's not thinking straight basho.

Dude was so consistently solid for so long I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around how he's fallen so fast. For like a 6 year period, dude was almost a lock for 8-9 at S/K. Just looked up his stats and after a rough 6-9 debut at Komusubi, he went on a 5+ year run ending with his Ozeki promotion where he only had back to back MK once, his worst result was a singular 6-9 and was never lower than M3.

Mitakeumi is my favourite active guy (along with Hokutofuji) and it was so rough watching him get Ozeki only to lose it basically immediately. For like 6 years he was more of an Ozeki than any of the guys who actually were Ozekis; he had an equal or winning records against all of them except the Yokos and a better winrate in Sanyaku than any of them except maybe prime Takayasu. And then he's just fallen off a cliff. Like he's had 15 makekoshi in his 50 basho career and 6 of them were in a row last year.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Really happy that my value pick of Endo at M12 is paying off.

Not happy that I almost picked Nishikigi on accident but remembered the time that happened and he went MK so I was certain to change for Nishikifuji as intended. Should have let the accident happen dammit.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

pseudodragon posted:

Gonoyama needs to be tearing through the lower ranks if he wants to be something. Dude's 25, if he can't win now, hes never going to. His peer group is Kotonowaka and Hoshoryu. And he's even behind Hiradoumi, Oho and Hokuseiho who are all 2 years younger.
i get what you mean, but at the same time he entered the sumo world much, much later than the average, and his first bout at the bottom of Sandanme was only two years ago, so i don't know if it's fair to say he's 'behind' guys who had a one-to-five year headstart.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Really happy that my value pick of Endo at M12 is paying off.

Not happy that I almost picked Nishikigi on accident but remembered the time that happened and he went MK so I was certain to change for Nishikifuji as intended. Should have let the accident happen dammit.

endo used to be a lock for 10 wins at anything at or below m7 in my memory. at some point that changed but i'm happy to see him to well at any rank.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I went with Hakuoho/Gonoyama/Shonannoumi for my M11+ picks just because I felt like all the other established names down there were a coin toss on injuries. Healthy first-timers seemed like a better bet. Glad to see Endo actually putting up numbers, though. It's always sad to watch people fall down the ranks.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

If Kirishima had to lose to someone, I am glad that it was Mitakeumi.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Thoughts so far on various rikishi this tournament:

Hokuseiho's inexperience is being exposed heavily now that he's fighting people who can overcome his "be big" strategy. I'm sure he will have a lot of lessons to be learned after the tournament back at the stable.

Hoshoryu looks to be nearly a lock for Ozeki promotion, for sure if he finishes with 12 wins or better.

It will be sad to see Aoiyama out of the Makuuchi division. On the flip side, it's great to see Tamawashi still holding his own at his age.

What the gently caress is Midorifuji doing? You are the smallest man there by both height and weight, stop getting into pushing battles with people who have 20-70 kgs on you.

Finally a couple of non-rikishi things, my husband watches with me mostly for the gyoji's outfits, he loves them. The one with the pink outfit is his favorite this tournament. I like the guy in purple more.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Kuros posted:

:negative: everything looked so good on paper.

:hfive:

The second week is where champions are made. Not in either of our teams, but like, generally.

Great Basho so far though, even with the loss of some of the top guys how can you not love this kind of run from Nishikigi?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kuros posted:

Finally a couple of non-rikishi things, my husband watches with me mostly for the gyoji's outfits, he loves them. The one with the pink outfit is his favorite this tournament. I like the guy in purple more.

hope he likes these ones

https://www.pocketmonsters.net/news/5540

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Have they ever called for a rematch due to gyoji interference? I had to wonder after the Shodai/Tobizaru match.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Can the gyoji call torinaoshi instead of making a decisive call? I'm guessing not since I've never seen it happen and it can only be declared as a result of a mono-ii.

Seems unfair to them and to the declared losing riskishi that it isn't an option to do so in an actual dead-heat scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hoshoryu looking nasty this basho, you love to see it. Also, I've liked Nishikigi since he snagged a kinboshi off of Kakuryu back in January 2019. Apparently he's blind as a bat without his glasses, so he tries to stay real close to his opponent in the ring. Also strong as hell in his upper body.

Robviously posted:

gently caress it, I believe

I'd like to trade Meisei for Nishikigi if available.

Trade registered for Day 7. According to tradition, you ensured he got his first loss of the basho.

Day 7 standings

Makuuchi
code:
23.5	NuclearPotato
23.5	Pakled
22.5	Brut
22.5	Vargatron
21.5	Akiosan
21.5	Charles Gnarwin
21.5	Eli949
21.5	Mode 7
20.5	Banana Canada