Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Plot twist: they keep the podcast during the strike but it's a 40m A1 Greens commercial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd find it pretty hilarious if they kept doing the podcast but talked about only non-Sunny things. Like pivot to talking about all sorts of other comedic movies and shows that they never worked on.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Hour long podcast that’s a review of that horse animation.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I thought it was an explicit rule as someone already mentioned. Should I stop listening to all podcasts that have writers on them? Because that's most of them and none of them have stopped.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ariza posted:

I thought it was an explicit rule as someone already mentioned. Should I stop listening to all podcasts that have writers on them? Because that's most of them and none of them have stopped.

We could just... listen to any non-american pod? The IWW isn't striking far as I know

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ariza posted:

It's not a strike against all writing and acting. They can still do independent stuff. WGA and SAG have forms that can be filled out to allow people to participate in independent works. The strike is against the big suits, not all entertainment. So we're probably going to see some big stars in indie films in a year or so. So they can still do podcasts and whatnot. The issue with this one is that it also serves as a way to promote their current show, which is not allowed during the strike.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, if Sunny was actually done since a few years and this was a post mortem, it would probably be okay.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 15, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Faucet Drinker posted:

I wonder where the line in the sand is when you're both actor and writer on your show. For example I doubt the Smartless podcast is going to be affected as the three of them are actors, and in the same sense so are the guys on the IASIP podcast, they just also are writers.

The line is going to be Charlie and Glenn not doing the podcast and Rob and Meg doing it.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Why is that? They're all writers

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ariza posted:

Mick Garris’ podcast has been going pretty in-depth about the writers strike and interviewed a few writers on the picket line. Have you listened to those?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jerusalem posted:

That final line :discourse:

Chad Coleman is a treat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"...you don't know if I'm at sea!?" keeps flying into my head and cracking me up

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ariza posted:

Are they promoting things they're working on like the Sunny podcast? Because that's the lynch pin here.

If they had a podcast just about telling stories or whatever, they'd be in the clear. But the official podcast of their TV show isn't something they should be doing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think the podcast is official in the sense that it's not done by FX as a promotional extension of the show, it's just those guys doing an independent podcast about the show that they created. I'm not sure the "no promotion" thing really means "pretend you never worked on this stuff and don't talk about it in public" as opposed to "don't fulfill your contractual promotional obligations or actively promote current struck work" i.e. promotional appearances on podcasts and talk shows (and promoting the current season would surely fall under the category). But as the writers and creators of the show, I don't know that forcing them to estrange themselves from their entire body of work is in the spirit of the strike, but hey I could be wrong.

Volte fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 17, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Again, that might be true by the letter of the thing, but not the spirit. You don't weasel out of a strike because you technically can.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Podcasts are deliberately called out on their FAQ with specific wording, the subtleties of which are probably going over my head since I'm not in the industry. It's not like this was AI generated; people working in this industry decided to say you can do it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't see it as necessarily being against the spirit. It's a work stoppage, not a code of silence. There is a specific list of things they're not allowed to do. Doing things that aren't on that list isn't "weaseling out of the strike", it's making a living (and keeping the crew of the show in work as well).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's a struck show. So, yeah. They shouldn't do it even if there's some loophole that could get them out of it.

All they'd have to do is start a side project podcast for the duration where they do what they generally do on the show anyway: talk about what's going on in their lives and shoot the poo poo.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

oh jay posted:

Podcasts are deliberately called out on their FAQ with specific wording, the subtleties of which are probably going over my head since I'm not in the industry. It's not like this was AI generated; people working in this industry decided to say you can do it.
This looks like it's saying that you can't guest on any podcast to promote struck work, and you can't guest or host a podcast promoting struck work on a podcast produced by a struck company (I guess stuff like the Good Place podcast which was an NBC production), but is that the exception that proves the rule that you can host a podcast promoting struck work as long as it's not produced by a struck company? The way hosting is specifically called out with "produced by struck companies" almost makes it seems like they're carving out an exception for independently produced rewatch podcasts like this one, but it's hard to tell for sure by one FAQ blurb. I assume the guys aren't just winging it and are hashing it out with their union reps or whatever. Whatever ends up happening, I don't think they are subverting the strike.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

It's a struck show. So, yeah. They shouldn't do it even if there's some loophole that could get them out of it.

All they'd have to do is start a side project podcast for the duration where they do what they generally do on the show anyway: talk about what's going on in their lives and shoot the poo poo.

I dislike the word "loophole" in this case. And in most cases honestly. They listed a handful of situations that are not allowed. They can't list the infinite other situations where things are allowed. That's not a loophole. That's them saying, all other situations are allowed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fine. I withdraw my use of that word.

But it's a podcast that promotes the show. Just call it something else until the strike ends and don't talk about the show. Problem solved.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

LividLiquid posted:

But it's a podcast that promotes the show. Just call it something else until the strike ends and don't talk about the show. Problem solved.

It is a podcast that promotes the show. But (as far as I know) it's not produced by a struct company. From that snippet, it would seem like it's totally fine for them to keep on doing what they are doing.

But I'm sure whatever they choose to do, they will have already know if it's okay with the union.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
The Gang Debates What 'Struck Work' Means

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Why would they go through the effort of making new Youtube, Spotify, Apple, etc accounts for a "completely different" podcast to satisfy your specific moral guidelines when SAG-AFTRA has already said that it's all good?

The minimum amount of flair is the minimum amount of flair. No need to posture by doing more.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It is a podcast that promotes the show. But (as far as I know) it's not produced by a struct company. From that snippet, it would seem like it's totally fine for them to keep on doing what they are doing.

But I'm sure whatever they choose to do, they will have already know if it's okay with the union.
Again, I am saying that even if they CAN do it, they shouldn't.

Why are people so attached to the name of the podcast that this is even an argument? We'd still get the show. There would be no reason for them to stop if they just changed the name until the end of the strike.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Maybe they should rename it to the Animal Shithouse Podcast for awhile and only talk about stuff like Rob leading his children into baseball bat battles outside the hamburger store

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The argument just doesn't make any sense. If they can do it, there's no reason to change the name.

And if they can't do it, but they changed the name so they could, they'd be scabs.

And I am 100% confident they will only continue doing the podcast if they can, so there's no reason to change the name to something else.

Although if they can do it, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with a new studio for it. Not sure where they are currently filming the podcast, but they mentioned they were on Apple's studio lot in a podcast at a previous location when they were working on Mythic Quest.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

No, they should create an entirely new podcast series on Spotify with only 2 episodes, insuring that nobody will listen to them unless they have a master's degree in modern American film history.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oh jay posted:

No, they should create an entirely new podcast series on Spotify with only 2 episodes, insuring that nobody will listen to them unless they have a master's degree in modern American film history.
I said change the name. They wouldn't have to have a new entry and these episodes would go in the backlog of Sunny podcast.

All I want is for them to get rid of so much as smell like they're promoting the show until the strike is over. I'm not President of Hollywood or whatever. I don't have the power to make poo poo happen. It's just what I think.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

oh jay posted:

interesting. the FAQ doesn’t say ANYTHING about blackface

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

To paraphrase Conan "It's not a visual medium! It won't work!"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

The first few episodes are audio only because the entire cast is in blackface the whole time. Yes even Megan :ohdear:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
what are the rules

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
does Rob being diagnosed with donkey brains change anything?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Wouldn’t a new episode have been posted by now?

I’m still maintaining what I said initially.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Takes No Damage posted:

The first few episodes are audio only because the entire cast is in blackface the whole time. Yes even Megan :ohdear:

This is what is sounds like... when LividLiquid cries

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Blessedly they just posted on Instagram that the podcast is on hold for now so we can stop this.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Yup, now back to blackface talk!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ada shatan posted:

Yup, now back to blackface talk!

Are minstrel shows affected by the strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are minstrel shows affected by the strike?

lmao