Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
this is the most weirdly heartwarming discussion in usce I've seen in a while, good work everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, other people have kind of shown some light on it for me and made some good posts about it. I appreciate people engaging me in good faith because I'm really asking honest questions that have crossed my mind and not looking to be contrarian or get probed for anything. But I still can't help but think that since, OK, religion is a "protected class", right? So...again...say some right wing Christian assholes saw my work on some other church related children's books (which I have done) and want me to illustrate a "Gary Thinks He's Gay" or "Sally Thinks She's Steven" book and I turn down the work.

Can they argue I am discriminating against Christians?

You aren't turning down the work because it's christian, you are turning it down because of specific content. If the theoretical web designer or the baker had refused to provide services for gay weddings on a specific reason that was unrelated to the couple being the same sex, that would be something to talk about. Instead they staged a hissy fit over interacting with gay people.

It's like how your boss in Florida can fire you for any reason except THESE 10. Your existing freelance standards are in compliance, the assholes in the related Supreme Court cases weren't ( until the court boldly stood up for unimaginative and naked bigotry.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

this is the most weirdly heartwarming discussion in usce I've seen in a while, good work everyone

The Kids :corsair: Are All RIght

:respek:

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 15, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember about a week ago when a judge issued an order banning the government from working with social media to catch problematic content, and we had a big argument about whether or not doing so counted as censorship? It's been suspended pending appeal. Thousands of government workers are free to tell Facebook they Don't Want To See This.

quote:

In its three-sentence order, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit said the preliminary injunction issued this month by a federal judge in Louisiana would be put aside “until further orders of the court.” The appeals court also called for expedited oral arguments in the case.

In the lawsuit, Missouri, Louisiana and five individuals said that President Biden’s campaign, his administration and outside groups pressured social media platforms like Facebook and YouTube to take down content that it objected to. That content included conservative claims about the coronavirus pandemic and the 2020 presidential election, and a story about Hunter Biden, the president’s son.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Marianne Williamson's third campaign manager has quit and 6 more campaign staffers quit following that.

Her national field director posted a long complaint on Facebook shortly after he was fired because he was pressuring her to secure ballot access instead of holding media events. He alleges that she wanted to focus on promoting her upcoming book and social media instead of running a campaign. He also claims that she said she didn't care about ballot access because it was "mythical stuff."

Another staffer recorded a Zoom call she had and leaked it.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1679563920858652678

The grift is to raise money and have the campaign buy her books in bulk. It’s amazing she’s falling at that.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
"In Iowa, Pence Is Put on the Spot Over Jan. 6"

quote:

It was midway through a three-day swing of Iowa for Mike Pence when Luann Bertrand confronted him at a Pizza Ranch.

Ms. Bertrand, a retired store manager whose family also farms corn and raises cattle outside Sioux City, had a question about Jan. 6, 2021, the date that looms under the Pence campaign like a land mine.

In Iowa, the state whose caucuses next year are make-or-break for Mr. Pence, Ms. Bertrand accused the former vice president of putting President Biden in the White House. Seated at a table of G.O.P. voters in the restaurant, Ms. Bertrand, dressed in gray, shook a finger at Mr. Pence as she told him he should have rejected the electoral votes of certain states on Jan. 6.

The leopards are so hangry

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just can't help but laugh at the idea that Pence could have been hurt or even killed on Jan 6th by those rioters and he's having to pretend like everything was OK because he can't piss off the base

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

:mods:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Everyone loves Pizza Ranch!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Ranch

quote:

Pizza Ranch is a Christian-based company.[15][6] The Pizza Ranch vision is "To glorify God by positively impacting the world we live in."

quote:

Pizza Ranch was founded by Adrie Groeneweg[6] and Lawrence Vander Esch. Vander Esch however left the company in 2001 after being arrested and sent to prison for sexual abuse involving obtaining semen samples of his teen employees.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 15, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Every time

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

:dogstare:

Unreal

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It really always is projection with Republicans.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

It really always is projection with Republicans.

"We're the good guys so just imagine what those freaks are doing" has been a powerful force through history.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

What's a Christian-based company?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mawarannahr posted:

Apparently a company that loves to abuse children.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mawarannahr posted:

See also:

Hobby Lobby, guilty of looting ancient artifacts from Iraq, and went to SCOTUS to argue against policies requiring them to provide contraception and birth control on their health care plan
Chick-Fil-A, which for a long time held anti-LGBTQ+ beliefs (they have changed policies and no longer speak publicly about it)
Forever 21, which is as anti-labor as it gets (and that's saying a lot for fashion companies)
Tyson Foods, put profit ahead of employee safety during COVID-19. They were the worst among the meat packing plants, by far, in terms of number of cases. Also harmful to farmers and consumers with predatory practices.

Just a few examples off the top of my head (I had to look up the Forever 21 issue, to be fair)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I mean, at least Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby are vocal about being "Christian". Terrible though they may be, they are at least "providing a public witness". Forever 21, Pizza Ranch, and the rest are terrible while not even putting in the effort to get a bible verse printed on their bags/cups.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Gyges posted:

I mean, at least Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby are vocal about being "Christian". Terrible though they may be, they are at least "providing a public witness". Forever 21, Pizza Ranch, and the rest are terrible while not even putting in the effort to get a bible verse printed on their bags/cups.

Forever 21 puts John 3:16 on the bottom of their bags, or at least they used to. Can't say for Pizza Ranch. In-n-Out puts John 3:16 on the bottom of their cups as well.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

See also:

Hobby Lobby, guilty of looting ancient artifacts from Iraq, and went to SCOTUS to argue against policies requiring them to provide contraception and birth control on their health care plan
Chick-Fil-A, which for a long time held anti-LGBTQ+ beliefs (they have changed policies and no longer speak publicly about it)
Forever 21, which is as anti-labor as it gets (and that's saying a lot for fashion companies)
Tyson Foods, put profit ahead of employee safety during COVID-19. They were the worst among the meat packing plants, by far, in terms of number of cases. Also harmful to farmers and consumers with predatory practices.

Just a few examples off the top of my head (I had to look up the Forever 21 issue, to be fair)

In-N-Out Burger is a company owned by a very Christian family, and shows it by printing bible verses on packaging and founding charities that help abused children and drug addicts. As near as I know the charities are pretty legit, and I haven't heard of any overt anti-LGBTQA+ stuff for employees. Guess how much vocal love they get from the religious right.

Though they did do some anti-vaccine/anti-mask stuff more recently, so maybe that'll change.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Killer robot posted:

In-N-Out Burger is a company owned by a very Christian family, and shows it by printing bible verses on packaging and founding charities that help abused children and drug addicts. As near as I know the charities are pretty legit, and I haven't heard of any overt anti-LGBTQA+ stuff for employees. Guess how much vocal love they get from the religious right.

Though they did do some anti-vaccine/anti-mask stuff more recently, so maybe that'll change.

I knew they were religious because of the cup thing, but I'm not familiar with anything wildly negative about them. The ones I listed are just the ones I know that are both openly Christian and have had some horrific practices.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just can't help but laugh at the idea that Pence could have been hurt or even killed on Jan 6th by those rioters and he's having to pretend like everything was OK because he can't piss off the base

At some point I expect Pence to apologize for not being hurt or killed on Jan 6th.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shooting Blanks posted:

See also:

Chik-Fil-A continues to bankroll anti-LGBTQ+ initiatives, they just aren't as vocal about it these days and pretend to have turned a new leaf. Tyson, if I remember right, had management laying bets on how many/who among their workers would die from Covid.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Tyson, if I remember right, had management laying bets on how many/who among their workers would die from Covid.

Yep.

"More than 1,000 employees at the plant in Waterloo have been infected by the virus, and at least six have died. The virus spread across the community: Black Hawk County has seen some 12,000 cases and 193 deaths. Many of the plant's 2,800 employees are immigrants and refugees.

According to the lawsuit filed by the family of Isidro Fernandez, who died in April, Tyson had employees move between a different Iowa plant where an outbreak was occurring and the Waterloo plant, and did not adequately test or quarantine them before they entered the Waterloo facility.

The lawsuit also alleges that supervisors outwardly denied there were cases of the virus at the Waterloo plant but began avoiding the plant floor because they were afraid of contracting the virus. The supervisors also reportedly told workers they had "a responsibility to keep working in order to ensure Americans don't go hungry." "

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1680212561554292738

quote:

Kennedy floated the idea during a question-and-answer portion of raucous booze and fart-filled dinner at Tony’s Di Napoli on East 63d Street.

“COVID-19. There is an argument that it is ethnically targeted. COVID-19 attacks certain races disproportionately,” Kennedy said. “COVID-19 is targeted to attack Caucasians and black people. The people who are most immune are Ashkenazi Jews and Chinese.”

Wellll I would imagine that's it for RFK, that's getting too toxic for any ratfucker left of Nick Fuentes to astroturf

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C. Everett Koop posted:

At some point I expect Pence to apologize for not being hurt or killed on Jan 6th.

If it weren't for the fact that Pence definitely hews closer to the idea of an old-school republican, I'd say the smart money would be to try to spin his "Not going along with the half-assed insurrection that totally would have worked guys, seriously, democracy was on the verge of ending 5-ever" inactivity as "No, really, I was trying, but there were woke deep state antifa operatives who were stopping me from doing that thing I was totally trying to do for Trump."

But, again, I don't see Pence as having the mindset necessary to sell a bit like that.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress. Anyone who fluffed this piece of poo poo in the media should be loving ashamed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

What the gently caress. Anyone who fluffed this piece of poo poo in the media should be loving ashamed.

*shrug* He has money backing him as an attack on the democrats. It'll keep happening for a good while yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bird food bathtub posted:

*shrug* He has money backing him as an attack on the democrats. It'll keep happening for a good while yet.

Sure, but how effective an attack is he going to be once he's the racist conspiracy fart guy? Money can recognize when it's being wasted

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Most of the time when I see clips of him doing interviews it’s on right wing outlets

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

My conspiracy theory is that all conspiracy theory communities are linked together by antisemite commentary and eventual contamination and conversion to "the jews did it" so everyone who goes conspiracy community turns into a nazi crank. Bet you it even happened with morgellons

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Most of the time when I see clips of him doing interviews it’s on right wing outlets

poo poo, that article about the "Jews and Chirnese immune to COVID" comes from the New York Post!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1680244861369470978

Hmmm let's go to the tape!

https://twitter.com/TriuneTimes/status/1680195778306793472

Call on the field stands.

I'll also point out this also happened at the Polemic Fart Association gathering.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TGLT posted:

Yep.

"More than 1,000 employees at the plant in Waterloo have been infected by the virus, and at least six have died. The virus spread across the community: Black Hawk County has seen some 12,000 cases and 193 deaths. Many of the plant's 2,800 employees are immigrants and refugees.

According to the lawsuit filed by the family of Isidro Fernandez, who died in April, Tyson had employees move between a different Iowa plant where an outbreak was occurring and the Waterloo plant, and did not adequately test or quarantine them before they entered the Waterloo facility.

The lawsuit also alleges that supervisors outwardly denied there were cases of the virus at the Waterloo plant but began avoiding the plant floor because they were afraid of contracting the virus. The supervisors also reportedly told workers they had "a responsibility to keep working in order to ensure Americans don't go hungry." "

The meatpacking industry across the entire state of Iowa is corrupt to the bone.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

haveblue posted:

Sure, but how effective an attack is he going to be once he's the racist conspiracy fart guy? Money can recognize when it's being wasted

Another racist conspiracy fart guy was president from 2017-2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Another racist conspiracy fart guy was president from 2017-2021

And then he lost to the guy Kennedy is being deployed to interfere with

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They have done the polling math, and pretty much all of Kennedy's support comes from Republicans who are never going to vote for him in any circumstance. It is not as big a media-created mirage as DeSantis, but it's up there.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 15, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Chik-Fil-A continues to bankroll anti-LGBTQ+ initiatives, they just aren't as vocal about it these days and pretend to have turned a new leaf. Tyson, if I remember right, had management laying bets on how many/who among their workers would die from Covid.

In terms of most recent atrocities, Tyson is way up there. Have they even been investigated or taken to court over it?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Name Change posted:

They have done the polling math, and pretty much all of Kennedy's support comes from Republicans who are never going to vote for him in any circumstance. It is not as big a media-created mirage as DeSantis, but it's up there.

I notice this too. Kennedy gets amplified quite a bit on am talk radio and I'm pretty sure it's not because Republicans like his policies or platform. I assume the idea is to weaken Biden with a legit primary challenge but I'm not sure who they're targeting since most Democrats don't listen to that poo poo. I honestly wouldn't mind primarying Biden tbh but, man, the Democratic bench looks super loving thin and if Kennedy is all we've got then...well..it's frustrating.

Is Joe Biden (and DJT) the best we can offer people in the face of an opposition party that's openly running on a theocratic fascism platform? I'll admit that Biden's tracked a little more to the left than I thought he would and done some decent things that surprised me but it sure would be nice to have a candidate that excited and inspired people with valid reasons for feeling that way. Al Gore was labeled as boring in 2000 but someone like him right now would be a refreshing change of pace. Hell, I'd take John Kerry.

The thing with Biden is no one is really fired up about him at all. No one really champions him or feels passionate about him. We just kind of tolerate him. He's way too god damned old for the demands of the job (he was in 2020) and the only reason he can likely win is because Trump and the modern GOP are still (for the moment) seen as insane and as far shittier absolute monsters. , although not quite by the margin a sane country would. That said, another 2016 where Trump loses the popular vote but ekes out an EC win, as things stand now, would not surprise me in the least. And it sucks that any celebrating I might do in 16 months if I'm wrong will be because gently caress fascists like Donald Trump and his cult, not from any real sense of achievement, genuine hope for good things or some kind of belief that Joe Biden will turn us around.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shooting Blanks posted:

In terms of most recent atrocities, Tyson is way up there. Have they even been investigated or taken to court over it?

It's a gigantic megacorp, what does your heart tell you?

Less sarcastically, they've been sued a bunch but unsurprisingly not a lot has come of it. I did see a headline that their CFO got arrested last year from getting blackout drunk, breaking into someone's apartment and passing out in their bed, but that's unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BiggerBoat posted:

I notice this too. Kennedy gets amplified quite a bit on am talk radio and I'm pretty sure it's not because Republicans like his policies or platform. I assume the idea is to weaken Biden with a legit primary challenge but I'm not sure who they're targeting since most Democrats don't listen to that poo poo. I honestly wouldn't mind primarying Biden tbh but, man, the Democratic bench looks super loving thin and if Kennedy is all we've got then...well..it's frustrating.

Is Joe Biden (and DJT) the best we can offer people in the face of an opposition party that's openly running on a theocratic fascism platform? I'll admit that Biden's tracked a little more to the left than I thought he would and done some decent things that surprised me but it sure would be nice to have a candidate that excited and inspired people with valid reasons for feeling that way. Al Gore was labeled as boring in 2000 but someone like him right now would be a refreshing change of pace. Hell, I'd take John Kerry.

The thing with Biden is no one is really fired up about him at all. No one really champions him or feels passionate about him. We just kind of tolerate him. He's way too god damned old for the demands of the job (he was in 2020) and the only reason he can likely win is because Trump and the modern GOP are still (for the moment) seen as insane and as far shittier absolute monsters. , although not quite by the margin a sane country would. That said, another 2016 where Trump loses the popular vote but ekes out an EC win, as things stand now, would not surprise me in the least. And it sucks that any celebrating I might do in 16 months if I'm wrong will be because gently caress fascists like Donald Trump and his cult, not from any real sense of achievement, genuine hope for good things or some kind of belief that Joe Biden will turn us around.

It's because anyone who would even lean Democrat is either too smart to not want the job or has been in the game so long, it's their only way to climb the ladder. I wouldn't be surprised if half of The Squad and their immediate circle aren't even in federal government in the next 4 years just from how garbage the whole prospect is.