Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jensen & Rubens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If it was someone cooler than Max doing it, I’d say that’s a really nice way to connect with racing fans.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
all of y’all are cowards who are too afraid to say it

bring back the f duct

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kubica and Heidfeld

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MustardFacial posted:

You are so far off the mark on the point I was making I'm starting to wonder if you're being obtuse on purpose or if you genuinely don't know how to read or comprehend language. Your "top-rope dunk" or more of an inept airball, thrown by a toddler.
Oh I absolutely understand the point your side is trying to make it's just so loving stupid it required no rebuttal beyond lmao no
Drive around at the back of the grid for less money, with no clear route for progression, no chance at any accolades in the sport, for a team owned by a god-drat VC firm.
Just galaxy brain choices.

The reason you're dunking on yourself is the insistence there's no value in being paid a whole lot more money to race at the front and pick up sporting accolades.

To then in your very next post opine on Bottas' success ... running around as a #2 with a pretty pay packet and picking up sporting accolades.

You know that cliche video edit where someone is saying "the world is flat there's just no way there's a bunch of satellites up there?" and the camera just slowly zooms in on the GPS navigation they have up?
Well we're really zooming in on your own posts explaining exactly why he should be doing the thing you say he shouldn't be doing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There aren't really sides in the thread are there?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilmucche posted:

nah just a shitload of straw binmen

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Khablam posted:

Oh I absolutely understand the point your side is trying to make it's just so loving stupid it required no rebuttal beyond lmao no
Drive around at the back of the grid for less money, with no clear route for progression, no chance at any accolades in the sport, for a team owned by a god-drat VC firm.
Just galaxy brain choices.

Lots of people leave or decline jobs with incredibly high pay that involve a huge amount of stress and require you to deal with assholes you hate, that is actually a cool and good thing to do. There’s more to the equation than just “money + accolades = happiness” and it’s pretty strange that you refuse to recognize that.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Seems like being the #2 Mercedes driver against Lewis Hamilton is stressful as hell. Rosberg pushed himself so hard to win that he retired afterward. Bottas also pushed himself very hard to keep pace with Lewis. I remember reading some of his interviews and such about developing an eating disorder because he was trying to lose weight to be more competitive, and other stuff about going to therapy for the anxiety and stress. Curious how Russell feels about it.

Nothing because Russel is a Tory and Tories don’t have feelings

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Personal Lucubrant posted:

yeah I really miss the gimmick poster dropping by every few weeks to say tl;dw grazie ferrari

EssereFerrari

Grazie Ragazzi

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

This is very funny and I'm enjoying all the meltdowns saying he should be banned from F1 because of it.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Max 'gamer brain' Verstappen

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Coca Koala posted:

Lots of people leave or decline jobs with incredibly high pay that involve a huge amount of stress and require you to deal with assholes you hate, that is actually a cool and good thing to do. There’s more to the equation than just “money + accolades = happiness” and it’s pretty strange that you refuse to recognize that.

Do you race cause you want a chance at winning or do you just want to chill out and get 8th place at best.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
If you're big valt at the moment, or Aston Martin Vettel then...

Really, big valt and Vettel seemed like they became so much more chill when they moved to lovely teams

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you no longer go for a gap in a front team which exists you are no longer a racing driver

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Favorite teammate pairings? Button and Lewis was fun, so was the McHonda era Alonso and Button.

Vettel and Ricciardo in 2014 was a very interesting pair and would probably be more chill now in 2023 than it was nine years ago.

Khablam posted:

If you no longer go for a gap in a front team which exists you are no longer a racing driver

I mean there's what, three teams super competitive in F1 at any given time? So six seats at most in a world where you're trying to eventually make a living and support yourself? That's what I gather from a lot of the interviews I've heard, is once even getting to F1 stops being a chance for younger drivers they then realize "I have this skill but need to pay the bills" and go elsewhere. Whether that currently applies to 34-year-old Danny Ricciardo right now is up to you.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Dictator. posted:

Do you race cause you want a chance at winning or do you just want to chill out and get 8th place at best.

It varies with drivers and what point ther career's at. Raikkonen was all about winning until 2008, after that he made very clear that he was just happy to show up for as long as he'd get paid to

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Berger/Alesi

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Khablam posted:

https://www.racefans.net/2015/11/20/if-you-no-longer-go-for-a-gap-which-exists-you-are-no-longer-a-racing-driver/

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Rhopunzel posted:

It varies with drivers and what point ther career's at. Raikkonen was all about winning until 2008, after that he made very clear that he was just happy to show up for as long as he'd get paid to

True, but most of the “chill” drivers (Vettel after Ferrari, Bottas at Alfa etc.) have at some point won a couple of races. Albon’s hasn’t had a podium yet.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

old: “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”

gold: "OK, you try to work cleanly and do the job properly and you get hosed by stupid people."

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

what if the gap does not really exists and is just a mirage…

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Dictator. posted:

Hmm, I could have zero chance of winning and hate my life every second of the day while being paid incredible amounts of money, or I could have zero chance of winning while working with friendly people who like me while being paid incredible amounts of money.

Hang on, let me put together a list of pros and cons for this decision, it's really a nailbiter. Do you have a coin I can flip or something, I just don't know what to do.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The power of friendship drives me directly into the wall.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why are people assuming Albon was being offered a Red Bull seat rather than one in the AT shitbox?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

Why are people assuming Albon was being offered a Red Bull seat rather than one in the AT shitbox?

Because it's easier for khablam to yell at everybody if you consider albon turned down Perez's seat.

Albon turning down nycks seat is a total non-story because lmfao if you want that seat above any other in F1 right now

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://i.imgur.com/PqlnQid.mp4

oof bet this was expensive

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dictator. posted:

is an alpha tauri really going to give the driver a chance at winning?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Definitely a classic of the genre, and in two different teams from 1995 to 1996 too. Amazing.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Lawson won another super formula race. He’s 3/6 this year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah that AT seat is basically locked in for him in 2024.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

the milk machine posted:

is an alpha tauri really going to give the driver a chance at winning?

Not AT no, I thought the discussion was about replacing Checo

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Was someone saying they don’t understand why people don’t like George Russell?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Kirios posted:

Yeah that AT seat is basically locked in for him in 2024.

The poor guy.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Is it just me or does it seem like FOS had way more crashes/incidents this year than in past years?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ilmucche posted:

It's a crab bucket of bannable offence words and I love it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

smackfu posted:

Was someone saying they don’t understand why people don’t like George Russell?

Oh cool, it's that guy that drained a bunch of steelworkers' pensions.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GramCracker posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like FOS had way more crashes/incidents this year than in past years?

Weather has been monsoon like all weekend and the track isn't a professional one with proper high tech drying asphalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Former F2/F3 driver Christian Lundgaard just won his first IndyCar race at the Toronto street circuit (which, like almost all the IndyCar street circuits, looks awful). Big John did not finish but I didn't see what happened.