Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Actually no I think the best Steal command was one of the Xenosaga games, where if you did a regular steal it was a coin flip of common or rare steal, and if you did a steal combo you just got the rare drop guaranteed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

going through xenoblade's battle dialogue and heart to heart transcripts, i never realized how dirty the game does reyn. please stop bullying my tank

He loves Sharla so theres something wrong with him and he deserves it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I like Final Fantasy X's steal command being able to one hit kill machina cause it removed a part they needed to function. Rikku just loving ripping carburettors out mid battle.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Stealing in Disgaea rules because you're grabbing the stuff they're using.

Enemy is holding an axe? Steal it off them. Now they're unarmed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah that's how steal worked in FFT so that's not surprising

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Junpei posted:

what was your first JRPG crush?

in the interest of fairness, for me it was Rise from P4.

Momo from Breath of Fire 3. Fueled my latent Furry, great design and a huge nerd girl.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Steal the horse weiner.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I like Final Fantasy X's steal command being able to one hit kill machina cause it removed a part they needed to function. Rikku just loving ripping carburettors out mid battle.

I really liked that too. FFX just has such a well designed system in general, and I like that steal fits perfectly into that

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like stealing is implemented very well in Crystal Project and both Octopath games. It's no coincidence that those games are all very open about your chance of success. Kudos to Crystal Project in particular for having a NPC that will sell you stuff you missed from boss steals.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
stealing in phantom brave was neat because you could yoink an enemy's weapon and then either keep it or use it as a medium to summon a unit. it was difficult, but you could even do it to the penultimate boss' giant anime sword.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's basically just The Way to grind up units in phantom brave even. it's so efficient if you can manage to succeed that all other forms of grinding stop mattering in the face of just going into a procgen dungeon and picking up a level 104929 bush

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oxxidation posted:

got riki back, all is right with the world

i can't blame people for being put off by his introduction but it's still great how you have to go cadge his equipment from the vendors when he "joins" you. beanie baby dirtbag

He’s no Piccolo, but Riki is unironically one of the best anime dads.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Riki rules, he heals, he tanks, he rapidly melts enemy health bars with DOT, heropon very cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Riki Sneaky

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Riki also has the best new swimsuit costume btw.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Heropon very cool!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Riki rules and that's yet another reason Tora sucks so much

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I swear there is something about the starts of Trails games that really make it hard to get into. This happened to me in CS1 and 2 as well and now Zero. Once I get "into" it I basically binge the games until I'm done but for some reason the first handful of hours in these games are just so drat slow...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tora was borderline, tatsu was unforgivable

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Srice posted:

I feel like stealing is implemented very well in Crystal Project and both Octopath games. It's no coincidence that those games are all very open about your chance of success. Kudos to Crystal Project in particular for having a NPC that will sell you stuff you missed from boss steals.

I really want Crystal Project on console because it is extremely my thing. Hard time believing that’ll happen though.

What kinda silly poo poo can you get up to in Octopath II with stealing? In battle, specifically? Stealing from NPCs is awesome, but I’ve been conditioned to think of battle stealing as bad in most games save the rare secret item here or there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Someday I will go back and finish Xenoblade 1, it's only been.............probably close to a decade since I put regular time into it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

tora was borderline, tatsu was unforgivable

Where do 3's Nopon fall?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where do 3's Nopon fall?

haven’t gotten that far but I’ve heard only good things, and that monolith carried over one of their best ideas from XB2, giving one of them a rumbling baritone voice like nibbler from futurama

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Einander posted:

I don't know that Stealing has ever been good in any game.

People have already brought up Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass but I am also going to do that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

claw game handjob posted:

I was just presuming that was the case prior to the Paladin upgrade because I chocoboed my way to the island with all the silver gear, especially since Cecil hits for so, so much less now.

But also even with like, 1/5th my damage output I think I've only wiped when loving around in areas I obviously wasn't supposed to be in.

Also most of why I want the steal to be more consistent or usable is this hack severely limits new gear, and the vast majority of things would at least allow me to equip people with something other than "Mage Hat, Wizard Robe, Silver Ring". I think I can definitely get behind "tactics games have the best steal functionality" though.

the key here is once you get to the moon, everything's a super boss that you will need to grind for, find specific equipment for, and have the right party composition and strategy for

my complaint is that I wish they had any interest in tuning anything up until the end of the game at all so it's not a siesta on your way there

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

that's basically just The Way to grind up units in phantom brave even. it's so efficient if you can manage to succeed that all other forms of grinding stop mattering in the face of just going into a procgen dungeon and picking up a level 104929 bush
good ol Faliure Dungeons. I recall using that trick to make a sword which was so good it just broke the AI, they'd do nothing but try and steal it from me. Or if they succeeded, each other.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

I really want Crystal Project on console because it is extremely my thing. Hard time believing that’ll happen though.

What kinda silly poo poo can you get up to in Octopath II with stealing? In battle, specifically? Stealing from NPCs is awesome, but I’ve been conditioned to think of battle stealing as bad in most games save the rare secret item here or there.

Battle stealing in Octopath sucks sadly. I don't remember ever getting anything better than concoction ingredients.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nothing too wild with Octopath stealing though it helps save money on consumables and materials if you do it often. What really helps is that you can spend BP to make the steal be guaranteed to work.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I liked in Bravely Default the first crystal boss was a split fire/ice one and you could steal an attack item from both that you could use on the other for massive damage

That was fun

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where do 3's Nopon fall?

Riku's probably the overall best Nopon in the series. Manana's a good counterweight to his personality.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Terper posted:

I liked in Bravely Default the first crystal boss was a split fire/ice one and you could steal an attack item from both that you could use on the other for massive damage

That was fun

Yes! That’s the good poo poo!

I really wish the other Bravely games would get ported to Switch. My eyes are too poor to play handheld, and BD2 really looked like it sucked rear end.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bravely Default 2 wasn't bad, but it hurts for such a mid-tier game to be a sequel to Bravely Second.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Crystal Project is a drat fine game on steam deck.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Best stealing mechanic in a JRPG is the 3DS version of Elminage Gothic, where you can steal and equip weapons from enemies that are technically body parts. I have fond memories of stealing the teeth out of a vampire’s mouth, then equipping them and running around the dungeon biting enemies and level draining them.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 15, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
alcamoth: just as bad as i remembered

the eryth sea is no picnic either. no wonder i remember so little of it, the way it's broken up and navigated is so bland

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
bravely default 2 committed the worst crime of the entire series, which is the story being extremely boring

also the jobs sucked but whatever i really wanted another job-based jrpg at the time

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I did like the one joke where a town gets emptied but a shop keeper makes it because he was in the bathroom. But yeah the jobs were super boring and the boss move counters thing also made them boring to engage with

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally at a point in Bravely Default 1 where I feel strong relative to random encounters, only took [checks clock] 35 hours?

Also I just spent half of my gold because I finally found a merchant with level 4 magic, who also happened to have a bunch of equipment upgrades :feelsgood:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
going to finish ff16 tomorrow morning. dont think it's one of my favorite ff games, i do want something more like 9 or shadowbringers/endwalker in terms of setting and tone for the next one, but it was a fun enough time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Momo from Breath of Fire 3. Fueled my latent Furry, great design and a huge nerd girl.

Rei From BoF 3. That guy could -get it-.