Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tayter Swift posted:

Payout per play is nowhere near 12 cents.

This inspired me to look at my own fallow artist profile on DistroKid, the service which sends my music to the various streaming services and collects royalties. Payout varies over services of course but I'm paid on average 0.8 cents per play. Spotify in particular pays half what Apple Music does.

Thanks for sharing. If you take out what appears to be music purchases (the Amazon downloads) the average drops to about 0.00654 per stream, meaning that between all the services you'd need an average of 102 plays to make the same amount you would make from a single purchase. That's absolutely wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jesus III posted:

Most artists are less valuable to Spotify than Spotify is to those artists. Most songs aren't worth even a penny to listen to. I bet most of you have "stolen" songs, so the value really is zero to a lot of people.

CDs cost more per song because you "own" them. It's also a concrete cultural stake in an artist. You are saying these songs are worth more than nothing to me.

So, if you want to support artists, buy CDs.

I don’t even have a CD player any,ore, but I support indie artists buying their albums in bandcamp

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

BiggerBoat posted:

Since we've been talking about empty retail or office spaces, I keep thinking about all the empty malls I see and wondering what's going to happen there. I'd imagine they'd make decent homeless shelters at a minimum. Most of them have food courts that could be used and I would think that people who are really down on their luck or with no shelter at all would adjust OK to sleeping on beds in what used to be a Spencer's or EB Games. They have adequate electric, restrooms and sanitation facilities. You just need to add bedding and (probably the biggest challenge) shower and bathing areas so I don't know what you do there.

It couldn't be any worse than a real homeless shelter. Plus you have a kind of enclosed neighborhood. It beats tent cities. We could put a medical facility in there.

I suppose the property itself is too valuable to the owners to make that viable though so then we're back to subsidizing. However entire malls just sitting there empty can't be generating much profit either.

I know this will probably never happen but all these places are just sitting there empty and, at a minimum, they have roofs.

Probably more likely that (mega)churches will start buying them up and making little self contained cults out of them where the old movie theater is now where they preach and they have prayer circles at the old fountain.

Honestly thats... not the most terrible idea in the world, the stores already have water hookups for most of them so adding a shower/tub/washer and dryer set ups are not the worst jobs, frankly they have enough exits for in case of a fire that you wouldn't have much of an issue with that either. Figuring out what to do with the back of store areas and the anchor locations would be harder. With my work doing inventory, in some of those older malls, there is enough hidden back space to hid a small army in that in a lot of cases is just.... empty these days. You could convert the anchors into like community spaces with some effort.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I've seen people float the idea of rehabbing abandoned malls into living centers and on paper it seems feasible if you can get the building inspectors to make a lot of exemptions, malls aren't designed to be living spaces, after all.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, some people pirated. But plenty of people actually went and bought stuff. While the record industry complained loudly about piracy, they were still raking in plenty of dough from CDs. In 2000, the golden age of Napster, the record industry sold 942 million CDs in the US, for a total revenue of $13.2 billion in 2000 dollars (or $22.5 billion in 2022 dollars).

While that declined pretty fast during the 00s, that was shortly followed by the appearance of online music stores like iTunes, a market segment that rapidly grew to eclipse CDs. By 2008, the record industry was selling more ringtones than it was CDs, although it wasn't until 2010 that downloadable music overtook CDs in terms of revenue.

Based on the numbers posted by Tayter Swift, someone listening to your song 100 times would get you a whopping 30 cents. To make 12 bucks off Spotify listens, you would need the song to be streamed 4000 times.

The fair price of a song is one that can produce a decent income for the artist. Some listeners may not value the song highly enough to pay that price, but that doesn't mean the song isn't worth that price - it just means it's not worth that price to those particular individuals. Even if literally no one wants to pay that price, it doesn't mean that price is unfair, it just means people don't want it at the price it's worth.

Not that it really matters, because streaming industry pricing has nothing to do with either song value, fair pricing, or what listeners might be willing to pay per song. It's just undercutting the entire rest of the industry with incredibly cheap prices, amassing a massive listener base who can't resist those unbeatably good deals, and then using that massive audience as a negotiating tool to force penny-shaving prices on artists.

While I believe that artists should be paid fairly, I have to disagree with you that just because someone creates something that it inherently means it’s “worth” something, which is what it sounds like you are arguing for.

E: I mean sure if universal basic income was a thing and/or money didn’t exist in this world then yeah, ok. Soandso can “make a living” drawing stick figures on used toilet paper, I don’t care. But UBI isn’t here and money exists so…?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 15, 2023

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Main Paineframe posted:

Based on the numbers posted by Tayter Swift, someone listening to your song 100 times would get you a whopping 30 cents. To make 12 bucks off Spotify listens, you would need the song to be streamed 4000 times.

The fair price of a song is one that can produce a decent income for the artist. Some listeners may not value the song highly enough to pay that price, but that doesn't mean the song isn't worth that price - it just means it's not worth that price to those particular individuals. Even if literally no one wants to pay that price, it doesn't mean that price is unfair, it just means people don't want it at the price it's worth.

Not that it really matters, because streaming industry pricing has nothing to do with either song value, fair pricing, or what listeners might be willing to pay per song. It's just undercutting the entire rest of the industry with incredibly cheap prices, amassing a massive listener base who can't resist those unbeatably good deals, and then using that massive audience as a negotiating tool to force penny-shaving prices on artists

Unless you were in a huge band, you would be getting pennies on the dollar for a CD sale. The average band would not get more than a dollar per CD sold. Most significantly less. The real money was always in concerts and merch.

Also, due to the lack of an upfront cost, way more people listen to songs on streaming than would buy an album. If my friend said “hey check out this band” I certainly wouldn’t have bought their CD, but I might listen to a few of their songs on Spotify.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on the value of music. Just because some random band can churn out some songs and upload them doesn’t mean they are entitled to a certain amount of compensation. If the songs suck why should someone be paid for something that is essentially worthless? That doesn’t make any sense.

Seph fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 15, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

starkebn posted:

Jesus gently caress there have been a lot of words about something simple.

If you allow unrestricted amounts of profit to be extracted by the owner class the working class gets screwed.

Force owners to compensate workers and regulate the allowed amount of greed

Yeah, I'd say it's less a matter of "everybody should be given money no matter how crappy their music is" and more "if someone is making profit off your music, you should be entitled to a fair cut."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Seph posted:

Unless you were in a huge band, you would be getting pennies on the dollar for a CD sale. The average band would not get more than a dollar per CD sold. Most significantly less. The real money was always in concerts and merch.

Also, due to the lack of an upfront cost, way more people listen to songs on streaming than would buy an album. If my friend said “hey check out this band” I certainly wouldn’t have bought their CD, but I might listen to a few of their songs on Spotify.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on the value of music. Just because some random band can churn out some songs and upload them doesn’t mean they are entitled to a certain amount of compensation. If the songs suck why should someone be paid for something that is essentially worthless? That doesn’t make any sense.

I think my biggest point of disagreement is probably the sucking part, because it's so objective. Music is so amazingly diverse and capable to catering to so many divergent tastes that it seems there should be something to serve as a floor somewhere between "sucks" and "popular enough to not have to worry about paying bills."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Open mic night subsidies?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I'd say it's less a matter of "everybody should be given money no matter how crappy their music is" and more "if someone is making profit off your music, you should be entitled to a fair cut."

What is missing from this conversation is that the music companies (or at least their owners) are making just as much money as ever, and the lump sum that must be shared and fought over between all artists is not proportional to the profits the company is making.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Open mic night subsidies?

Governments funding the arts is one of those things where conservatives won the culture war. They see no value in art other than what value can be extracted from it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Professor Beetus posted:

Governments funding the arts is one of those things where conservatives won the culture war. They see no value in art other than what value can be extracted from it.

Yeah, to be clear I am in favor of this. Community theater, open mic nights, those are the bedrocks of a thriving local culture.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Spazzle posted:

Come on, thus is total nonsense. This means anyone putting out any song is entitled to a pile of money. If nobody wants to listen to a song, the musician isn't suddenly entitled to anything.

Where did I say anything about entitlement? I'm not saying that you should be forced at gunpoint to buy things at specific prices. If you personally wouldn't pay more than 0.3 cents for a song, that's fine, you're free to not buy it - but don't turn that around and start claiming the song (the product of all the labor that went into it) is only "worth" 0.3 cents. It's only worth 0.3 cents to you, but that doesn't mean it's somehow bad or evil for the artist to list it at thirty cents. I'm not a hardcore devotee of the labor theory of value, but Seph's original claim of "the value of a song is determined by the people listening to it" is a fair bit more ridiculous than that. Especially when prices aren't being set by either artists or consumers - they're being set by megacorps and media cartels engaged in a desperate race-to-the-bottom in an attempt to capture subscribers with bargain-basement prices in hopes that they'll be able to take a dominant position in the streaming industry.

Seph posted:

A dollar per CD sold is a couple of orders of magnitude higher than what streaming services are paying out now, though.

They're both poo poo compared to Bandcamp letting artists set their own prices and only taking a 15% platform cut, though. The good future would have been embracing digital delivery as a way to cut the titanic middlemen out of the industry altogether, putting artists in charge and letting them directly or almost-directly sell to consumers and get most or all of the money themselves. But it's effectively been supplanted by streaming services charging massively unprofitable prices in hopes of driving competitors out of the market through pure price competition.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Spazzle posted:

Why should people who get trivial amounts of play get paid? There is always a frontier of musicians who will get low amounts of money regardless of the payout per song.

It kinda seems like you're saying "gently caress struggling artists."

Why should already-successful musicians hoover up all the money? Is getting 10,000 streams of a song in a month "trivial" just because Taylor Swift got a million streams?

It seems like kind of a disconnect between your statement and leftist values. :shrug:

Edit:

Clarste posted:

What is missing from this conversation is that the music companies (or at least their owners) are making just as much money as ever, and the lump sum that must be shared and fought over between all artists is not proportional to the profits the company is making.

This too, I just figured this was pretty much understood by all involved.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 15, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Spotify's licensing structure is essentially:
- Throw all the subscription money in a pot
- Spotify takes a percentage off the top for themselves
- The remainder is paid out according to what percentage of the total listening hours you were that month. If 1% of the total hours was people listening to you, you get 1% of the money

That doesn't seem like an unfair way to divy out the money for an all-you-can-listen subscription. Even if Spotify's cut was 0%, it still wouldn't qualitatively change anything for a small artist. The overwhelming majority of what people listen to is top 40, so top 40 gets the overwhelming majority of the money.

Spotify is also just very cheap compared to the CD era. A 1995 CD was about $17, which is about $30 or three months of spotify in 2023 dollars. Most people who were regularly buying music were buying more than four albums a year

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Agents are GO! posted:

It kinda seems like you're saying "gently caress struggling artists."

Why should already-successful musicians hoover up all the money? Is getting 10,000 streams of a song in a month "trivial" just because Taylor Swift got a million streams?

It seems like kind of a disconnect between your statement and leftist values. :shrug:

Edit:

This too, I just figured this was pretty much understood by all involved.

The problem is that you're now trying to apply an objective benefit (resources) against a subjective good (art). What if an artist is struggling because they suck, and who makes that determination? Why shouldn't the rewards go to the person that brings the most pleasure to the masses? An UBI is a partial solution but it leaves a lot of gaps.

Somewhat related, although sidestepping the entire marketing/industry/etc element, but a modern "struggling artist" in Boise* with access to Spotify has vastly more chances of success (and resources) than the old model where the odds of anyone outside of Boise hearing that music was literally 0% because The Wherehouse definitely wasn't going to stock it and it's pretty unlikely that Tower Records would even get to it, whereas now for zero(?) cost BoiseBongo can have their music hosted, available, and pushed to an audience that never heard of them.

*for all I know BoiseBop is the new grunge

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean the bottom line is that if artists can't be compensated fairly for their work, we'll have less artists.
This is unironically the likeliest outcome because the current various streaming issues seem to revolve at least partly around there being simply too much content and that newer content is far too expensive for the return. There've been discussions in TVIV about it but the amount of high quality content is insane, and that's assuming everyone finally stops watching Married at First Sight/the 90 Day Fiancé Universe of shows. Like, think about a 25-year old getting a Max subscription (i.e. HBO, Adult Swim, TCM) - they could reasonably watch incredible content for years before looking anywhere else, let alone whatever's on Youtube.

Like, I want to say about a year ago the young people were really into Columbo - I mean Columbo is fine, but that means they aren't watching new stuff, which means that new stuff isn't getting views. And then they probably started watching Muder, She Wrote! What's next, Matlock???

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

People used to go all the way out to the store to spend ~$12 on CDs with ten or so songs on them. That's ten times the rate you're saying people won't pay for infinity songs on-demand in their own home.

Yeah, people won't pay $12 for ten songs when alternatives exist that charge $10/mo for infinity songs, but the latter only exists because they're able to treat artists like poo poo.

The traditional revenue models for TV are fading away because companies released alternatives that were better and cheaper in basically every way. And part of the reason those alternatives were so much better and so much cheaper is because companies weren't fairly paying the actors for those alternatives.

It's the same as the rest of the disruption economy - unscrupulous companies built up an industry that relied on lovely business tactics to offer better conditions to customers (at the expense of workers), and then when people start demanding the workers be treated better, that new industry claims that it's simply impossible to treat workers fairly under their business model. Which is probably true, because "we don't have to treat the workers fairly" was a key part of how they built that business model in the first place, and that's exactly why I'm so resistant to your framing here. The traditional revenue models died because the industry killed them and replaced them with revenue models that suited their needs, while misleading the unions into thinking those new models weren't ever going to be important enough to matter.

It's not really any different from Uber and the rest of the gig economy building up an entire industry on the back of "treating workers like cheap disposable pawns", and then complaining that it's simply impossible to treat workers right in their industry - they're probably right about that, but that doesn't absolve them of their moral responsibility to treat workers fairly.

While it'd cause a fair bit of pain (which these companies are counting on), seeing the entire parasite economy bubble burst would be welcome (stuff like Uber and AirBnB can gently caress right off and burn, especially AirBnB) .

Streaming services can work but they need to change and properly compensate the actual workers instead of funneling every last penny to shareholders who add nothing of value to the company. I hope the writers and actors striking together bring the entertainment industry to its knees because it's long overdue. If UPS and the UAW strike and put the screws to their respective parasites as well then even better.

Professor Beetus posted:

Lmao what the gently caress am I going to play a CD on in 2023?

iirc the current gen of game consoles don't even recognize the format. Which are the only things I have in my house with disc drives

You can get a USB CD/DVD drive for :20bux: or less. Buy one, plug it into your PC. Done. CD drives are not some mystical relic of a long forgotten age.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Really, the problem is basically all the media conglomerates clinging tooth and nail to formats that they consider convenient for them and them exclusively, and cutting literally everyone else out of the deal. There was a fun article a while back about how it seems they seem to have open contempt both for artists and for consumers, and would cut both out of the deal and make content by robots for robots if they could. It's middlemen strangling the industry to death because they want all the money and they want double all the money tomorrow.

Also still funny that video games figured this out, even if dragged kicking and screaming and trying to push things as hard as they can get away with. Steam for TV would make billions, they don't want to do it. gently caress, they already did it with iTunes.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I've seen people float the idea of rehabbing abandoned malls into living centers and on paper it seems feasible if you can get the building inspectors to make a lot of exemptions, malls aren't designed to be living spaces, after all.

Yeah, repurposing malls is something that at least should be a strictly temporary solution. They are not designed to be anything other than malls.

It's not going to be cheap, but it's simply that when things like malls and office space become no longer viable or useful for any purpose, then they need to be made into or replaced with something that is. The wants of the owners have nothing to do with it. That's the free market, baby.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

You can get a USB CD/DVD drive for :20bux: or less. Buy one, plug it into your PC. Done. CD drives are not some mystical relic of a long forgotten age.

You can still buy USB floppy drives too and that format is absolutely a relic. If anything, requiring a USB adapter is one of the biggest signs that it's no longer relevant; it's not built into most products anymore, most tower designs don't even come with 5.25" bays, and new CD, DVD and BD players are bargain bin trash.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 15, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I haven't owned anything that could play a CD in a decade. If you think the world is going to go back to Dvd and CDs you are delusional.

It's streaming or systems like bandcamp/iTunes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Foxfire_ posted:

Spotify's licensing structure is essentially:
- Throw all the subscription money in a pot
- Spotify takes a percentage off the top for themselves
- The remainder is paid out according to what percentage of the total listening hours you were that month. If 1% of the total hours was people listening to you, you get 1% of the money

That doesn't seem like an unfair way to divy out the money for an all-you-can-listen subscription.
I think the issue people have here is that Spotify doesn't take a percentage off the top. They arbitrarily decide each month what artists will get, and then leave them to fight over it. And when prompted to justify their decision or provide any data their answer is "gently caress you."

If it was as simple as "The artist cut is 9X.XX%" way fewer people would be mad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
The whole point is that media companies are using streaming as an excuse to take all the money but pittances and kicking and screaming at the idea of having to pay people regardless of how easy it would actually be and how they'd still make plenty of money, and unconvincingly pleading ignorance to things that are incredibly easy to track and would in fact be required for their advertising deals. It's definitely at the point of 'It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong'.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think the issue people have here is that Spotify doesn't take a percentage off the top. They arbitrarily decide each month what artists will get, and then leave them to fight over it. And when prompted to justify their decision or provide any data their answer is "gently caress you."

If it was as simple as "The artist cut is 9X.XX%" way fewer people would be mad.
It’s not some big secret; roughly two thirds of it goes to the music rightsholders. They obviously can’t say how much of it goes to the artist since that depends on the artist’s deal with their record company.

The tech companies deserve heckling but come on, this took me like 10 seconds to google.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole point is that media companies are using streaming as an excuse to take all the money but pittances and kicking and screaming at the idea of having to pay people regardless of how easy it would actually be and how they'd still make plenty of money, and unconvincingly pleading ignorance to things that are incredibly easy to track and would in fact be required for their advertising deals. It's definitely at the point of 'It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong'.

The argument about music is largely settled, but it's ongoing in film/tv.

There is a very good, and very real argument that the studios have failed to adequately adapt to the new reality of streaming - especially during COVID. There is an even better argument that their shift to this new model shouldn't punish the creative people that are the business. Disney will survive with a 30% reduction in executives. It won't survive with a 100% reduction in writers and actors.

Some rear end in a top hat coming out and saying that the current endgame is to wait until October, when they expect the writers to be kicked out of their apartments and homes does the studios no good. It galvanizes the workers, and it galvanizes a public who is currently very sympathetic to labor against them. When Bob Iger comes out and says this:

quote:

Iger gave his interview at Sun Valley just hours before Drescher officially called for a SAG-AFTRA strike, with picketing beginning July 14.

“It’s very disturbing to me,” Iger said when asked about the labor strikes. “We’ve talked about disruptive forces on this business and all the challenges we’re facing, the recovery from COVID which is ongoing, it’s not completely back. This is the worst time in the world to add to that disruption.”

Iger continued, “I understand any labor organization’s desire to work on behalf of its members to get the most compensation and be compensated fairly based on the value that they deliver. We managed, as an industry, to negotiate a very good deal with the directors guild that reflects the value that the directors contribute to this great business. We wanted to do the same thing with the writers, and we’d like to do the same thing with the actors. There’s a level of expectation that they have, that is just not realistic. And they are adding to the set of the challenges that this business is already facing that is, quite frankly, very disruptive.”

Motherfucker, you're at what's called "summer camp for billionaires." You just laid off 7k people from Disney. Nobody has any sympathy for you, and you just proved that you have no loyalty to employees. Why should the writers and actors take anything than the absolute best deal they can squeeze - even if it means shutting down your film division for the next year?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are the people saying to “just buy a cd drive and plug it into your pc” for real here?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Why the hell are people directly comparing the cost of playing a song once to the cost of buying a CD and playing the songs on it as many times as you want, anyway? If I’m listening to songs from an artist a hundred times per year, that’s going to give them pretty comparable amounts of money to their cut from a CD even at Spotify’s rates, and almost no-one puts out more than one CD per year.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shooting Blanks posted:

The argument about music is largely settled, but it's ongoing in film/tv.

There is a very good, and very real argument that the studios have failed to adequately adapt to the new reality of streaming - especially during COVID. There is an even better argument that their shift to this new model shouldn't punish the creative people that are the business. Disney will survive with a 30% reduction in executives. It won't survive with a 100% reduction in writers and actors.

Some rear end in a top hat coming out and saying that the current endgame is to wait until October, when they expect the writers to be kicked out of their apartments and homes does the studios no good. It galvanizes the workers, and it galvanizes a public who is currently very sympathetic to labor against them. When Bob Iger comes out and says this:

Motherfucker, you're at what's called "summer camp for billionaires." You just laid off 7k people from Disney. Nobody has any sympathy for you, and you just proved that you have no loyalty to employees. Why should the writers and actors take anything than the absolute best deal they can squeeze - even if it means shutting down your film division for the next year?

But ron desantis told me bob iger and Disney are too woke

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

pumpinglemma posted:

Why the hell are people directly comparing the cost of playing a song once to the cost of buying a CD and playing the songs on it as many times as you want, anyway? If I’m listening to songs from an artist a hundred times per year, that’s going to give them pretty comparable amounts of money to their cut from a CD even at Spotify’s rates, and almost no-one puts out more than one CD per year.

Yes, exactly, this is what I’ve been saying. If the artist’s cut from a CD is $1 (it’s usually less) and the album has 10 songs on it (it’s usually more) you would only need to listen to that CD about 10 times for its entire existence for the artist to have a similar per-listen equivalent payout to Spotify. If you listen to the CD more than ~10 times, suddenly it is worse compared to the per-stream model. I have no idea where the notion is coming from that artists were getting orders of magnitudes more money from CDs.

The other factor here is that streaming brings in new revenue for artists that wouldn’t exist otherwise. I would never purchase an album from a one hit wonder band, but I might listen to their one song on Spotify a bunch. Nor would I buy an album for a band where I only liked a few songs - I had to be super into the band to purchase their albums. In those situations the streaming model is bringing in new revenue that otherwise wouldn’t exist.

Seph fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 15, 2023

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Seph posted:

The other factor here is that streaming brings in new revenue for artists that wouldn’t exist otherwise. I would never purchase an album from a one hit wonder band, but I might listen to their one song on Spotify a bunch. Nor would I buy an album for a band where I only liked a few songs - I had to be super into the band to purchase their albums. In those situations the streaming model is bringing in new revenue that otherwise wouldn’t exist.

People never bring radio into this discussion. Radio (usually) didn't pay anything out, but just getting played could give you a decent boost in popularity to help with album and ticket sales. Without radio, can we even have one hit wonders like that anymore? That popularity boost seems to be much harder to obtain with streaming than it was with radio.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

duz posted:

People never bring radio into this discussion. Radio (usually) didn't pay anything out, but just getting played could give you a decent boost in popularity to help with album and ticket sales. Without radio, can we even have one hit wonders like that anymore? That popularity boost seems to be much harder to obtain with streaming than it was with radio.

Radio stations do have to report to the copyright collective what their profits are, how many listeners they have and how many hours they play protected materials per month. Additionally they have to report monthly their entire playlist so the copyright collective can then distribute the money to the right people.

In addition anyone who plays radio or streamed music or a record publicly, whether in a taxi or supermarket or pizza place, needs to purchase a permit from the organisation.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Seph posted:

Yes, exactly, this is what I’ve been saying. If the artist’s cut from a CD is $1 (it’s usually less) and the album has 10 songs on it (it’s usually more) you would only need to listen to that CD about 10 times for its entire existence for the artist to have a similar per-listen equivalent payout to Spotify. If you listen to the CD more than ~10 times, suddenly it is worse compared to the per-stream model. I have no idea where the notion is coming from that artists were getting orders of magnitudes more money from CDs.

Part of this is true, but per the actual spreadsheet numbers posted by an artist your numbers are way off. 10 songs x 10 listens at .003 dollars/song play is thirty cents from Spotify. Whole lot of CDs out there that have been listened to less than the full 33.3ish times that would match the actual number of Spotify plays (333-334) that get it up to the $1 level in your example.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, I thought the vast majority of artists’ income came from concerts and merch rather than direct music sales anyway, both pre- and post-Spotify?

Yes. This is why Leonard Cohen was essentially touring nonstop for the last several years of his life. His business manager embezzled his entire life savings, forcing him to sell his house, move in with his son, and just tour the globe relentlessly.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I don't understand the people who seem to be arguing that bringing back physical media would be good for artists, don't you realize this puts even more power in the hands of the record labels?

Right now if an artist can afford to have a decent recording of their work made they can put it on streaming/itunes/bandcamp for zero cost. In a physical media world you need to have enough cash to record the album, get a bunch of CDs burned, then have those distributed to shops or housed somewhere to be sent out by mail. Artists can now bypass the gatekeepers in a way that was impossible before unless you already had a bunch of money.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Irony.or.Death posted:

Part of this is true, but per the actual spreadsheet numbers posted by an artist your numbers are way off. 10 songs x 10 listens at .003 dollars/song play is thirty cents from Spotify. Whole lot of CDs out there that have been listened to less than the full 33.3ish times that would match the actual number of Spotify plays (333-334) that get it up to the $1 level in your example.

Right, and if you want to nit-pick the numbers, most albums have more than 10 songs and most artists got less than $1 per CD (except for the very biggest acts). The typical take for a smaller artist is around 10% of the wholesale price, which is far lower than the retail you would pay for a CD. I'd wager most smaller artists were getting $0.50-0.80 per CD sold. So maybe it's closer to 15-20 listens rather than 10 to break even. But that doesn't really change the point that each CD only provides a single, fixed payment to the artist while streaming keeps paying as long as the song is being listened to. And again, this whole break even exercise is assuming that every person who listens to a song on Spotify would have bought the album. In reality, Spotify is generating new revenue that would not exist if streaming were not an option.

The streaming model benefits artists who have songs that get listened to a lot on repeat or get put on a bunch of playlists, but aren't necessarily big enough to move albums on their name alone. The old model favored well-known artists with lots of institutional backing, which allowed them to move a bunch of albums based on hype and name recognition, even if the songs weren't that great and only got listened to a few times. You can argue that streaming companies are keeping too much of the pie to themselves (I'd agree!) but I don't really buy that the new streaming model is inherently less fair than the old way, which gave a ton of power and money to the record labels rather than the artists.

Seph fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 15, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

thekeeshman posted:

In a physical media world you need to have enough cash to record the album, get a bunch of CDs burned, then have those distributed to shops or housed somewhere to be sent out by mail.
There's services that automate that (and small-scale vinyl cutting) and hook up to the Bandcamp merch feature. You can get tons of indie stuff on physical right now, fuckin cassettes are back, although more as a collector's item. At least vinyl's been selling more than CDs since 2020.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seph posted:

Right, and if you want to nit-pick the numbers, most albums have more than 10 songs and most artists got less than $1 per CD (except for the very biggest acts). The typical take for a smaller artist is around 10% of the wholesale price, which is far lower than the retail you would pay for a CD. I'd wager most smaller artists were getting $0.50-0.80 per CD sold. So maybe it's closer to 15-20 listens rather than 10 to break even. But that doesn't really change the point that each CD only provides a single, fixed payment to the artist while streaming keeps paying as long as the song is being listened to. And again, this whole break even exercise is assuming that every person who listens to a song on Spotify would have bought the album. In reality, Spotify is generating new revenue that would not exist if streaming were not an option.

The streaming model benefits artists who have songs that get listened to a lot on repeat or get put on a bunch of playlists, but aren't necessarily big enough to move albums on their name alone. The old model favored well-known artists with lots of institutional backing, which allowed them to move a bunch of albums based on hype and name recognition, even if the songs weren't that great and only got listened to a few times. You can argue that streaming companies are keeping too much of the pie to themselves (I'd agree!) but I don't really buy that the new streaming model is inherently less fair than the old way, which gave a ton of power and money to the record labels rather than the artists.

Instead of theorycrafting about potential situations that could possibly lead to larger payouts, we could just talk to actual artists and see whether streaming services are actually bringing in higher payouts. And we don't have to look very hard - we've had an artist post in this very thread about how they've made far more from direct Bandcamp sales of their song than they have from all streaming services combined. And they're not the only one, either - there's no shortage of articles chronicling artists' complaints about how little they earn from streaming (and particularly Spotify) compared to other revenue channels, even if they have high play counts. The theoretical user who puts your song on loop and streams it several hundred times on Spotify just doesn't seem to actually exist, at least not in quantities remotely comparable to how many people were buying physical CDs or digital downloads of the music.

The streaming model also favors well-known artists with lots of institutional backing, because Spotify pays the major labels license fees to even get access to their music. While the specifics of their current contracts aren't fully known, their contract with Sony Music was leaked in 2015, which revealed that Spotify paid $42 million in cash and $9 million in free advertising to even get access to Sony's catalog, on top of the normal payouts they did based on how much songs were streamed. which is why the big players in the music industry tolerate the low payouts to begin with. It's also known that major labels negotiate exclusivity windows with Spotify, in which new songs are restricted or unavailable for a certain period after release (so that streams don't cannibalize actual sales of the song).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I hope Freezepop appreciates the four dollars they've gotten from me essentially having doppelganger on repeat all summer

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

duz posted:

Tiktok seems to be the new way music blows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mega Comrade posted:

Tiktok seems to be the new way music blows up.

TikTok payola is as bad as radio ever was. I don't believe that they have any rules about paying to play music, so that's what people do. It's a small part of this NPR story about the music business: https://www.npr.org/2023/03/17/1164300124/inflation-song-records-music-business-profit