Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Not for kids, though.

Oh yeah RASL is definitely not for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I felt RASL suffered from the same problem in Bone mentioned above but to a far worse degree, and I remember finishing it and thinking it was pretty boring. It might have partly been that the tone and, maybe "plot flippancy"(?), works in a more children-friendly book like Bone but if you're going for something more adult then my expectations are higher.

It didn't help that by the time I got to it the Tesla/Edison stuff was ridiculously overplayed.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks for the recommends I found out I got the job I really wanted today and took a celebratory trip to the comic store which had Half Century War, so I grabbed that, two Corto Maltese I already have cus they were cover price and they’re worth at least 5-10x that, and a copy of Enki Bilal’s monster which just looked neat even though Titan’s big hardback printings leave something to be desired. Gonna preorder the poo poo out of the new Nemesis reprint when I get paid too, excited for those to finally be available again maybe they’ll even reprint ABC warriors

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I'm only about 120 pages into Bone and holy gently caress this rules so hard. Really wasn't expecting a lot of what's gone down and I can't wait for this to keep ramping up. Just need to find more time to read before bed.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I dunno if this is the right thread for this but I didn't see a "what comic am I thinking of?" thread so I thought I'd ask. I'm trying to remember the title of a comic, it's about some medieval MMO where the protagonist realizes she's part of a video game...or something. I don't remember anything about it or even if it was good, but occasionally it pops into my head and I just need this itch scratched at this point.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread for this but I didn't see a "what comic am I thinking of?" thread so I thought I'd ask. I'm trying to remember the title of a comic, it's about some medieval MMO where the protagonist realizes she's part of a video game...or something. I don't remember anything about it or even if it was good, but occasionally it pops into my head and I just need this itch scratched at this point.

The long-lost Nonplayer?

https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/nonplayer

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Oh that is it! Aaaand it died after two issues!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Godzilla: Half Century War was super good. The basic conceit of being a schmuck in a tank who was there for some of the notable events of the early movies combined with Stockoe’s gorgeous art and interpretation of the franchise made it a real pleasure all the way through. My only complaint is I wish they had given him more pages, he was obviously constrained by space and could have told a much longer story filling in some of all the gaps while retaining the time jump structure. That being said what was there was excellent and Stockoe’s tremendous economy of language and space enables him to plausibly cram fifty years into a fairly small space.

Anyway if nothing else it’s a nice little catalogue of old school Toho kaiju and fun to see where he employs different interpretations of kaiju: he depicts Mechagodzilla as a terrestrial superweapon (I think the original was an evil robot from space) which I’d only seen in the weird anime otherwise, but the protagonist witnesses the original oxygen destroyer scene from the first movie .

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Frog Act posted:

Anyway if nothing else it’s a nice little catalogue of old school Toho kaiju and fun to see where he employs different interpretations of kaiju: he depicts Mechagodzilla as a terrestrial superweapon (I think the original was an evil robot from space) which I’d only seen in the weird anime otherwise, but the protagonist witnesses the original oxygen destroyer scene from the first movie .

That's the way it's been in the movies as well. At first Mechagodzilla is a monster from space, but then the government/earth defense apparatus makes their own Mechagodzilla.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just realized, this would probably be the first San Diego Comic Con that resembled what it was like before Iron Man, since actor's can't do panels without violating the strike, so they probably added a bunch of panels that were about actual comics and not movies based on comics. How many people would go to an Aquaman 2 panel where the only people involved in the movie are maybe the director (DGA are cowards for caving to the AMTPT) and then various producers that no one would recognize the name of?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jeff Smith announced a collection of the pre-comic book Bone comic strips.

https://twitter.com/jeffsmithsbone/status/1681305288421539844

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The press release on his site talks about how they almost didn't put these strips to print. It's worth the quick read.

https://www.boneville.com/2023/07/18/jeff-smith-returns-to-his-roots-with-a-new-collection-of-his-thorn-college-strips/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Jeff Smith announced a collection of the pre-comic book Bone comic strips.

https://twitter.com/jeffsmithsbone/status/1681305288421539844

I feel like this is completely inessential and I'm going to buy it anyway.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I feel like this lede is pretty buried too

quote:

and the forthcoming BONE: More Tall Tales

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hope this is the best thread to ask but I recently got into comics and got a short storage box to put stuff in. The issue is I don’t really have a lot of comics so they just sort of flop backwards into the box instead of staying neatly upright. For partially filled boxes what do people use to keep them upright so they don’t lay on top of each other?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Buy more comics

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hope this is the best thread to ask but I recently got into comics and got a short storage box to put stuff in. The issue is I don’t really have a lot of comics so they just sort of flop backwards into the box instead of staying neatly upright. For partially filled boxes what do people use to keep them upright so they don’t lay on top of each other?

I just let them lay on top of each other. They won't explode or anything.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Board and bag your comics, homie

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

Board and bag your comics, homie

Yeah nah.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I do, but I stuff 4-6 issues per bag. It's solely to make flipping through a box easier, but turned out to be useful when I randomly got water in my apartment (some random pipe leak) and soaked through my long box!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 19, 2023

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You can put a small box (or a larger box) behind the comics to take up space inside the longbox and cut down on the flopping. I have been saving G.I. Joe and Transformer action figure boxes, and they fit perfectly.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'll use boxes if they're like 50% or less full, otherwise if they're getting closer I bought a bunch of cheap towels on Amazon and mold them to fit in the box.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Medullah posted:

I'll use boxes if they're like 50% or less full, otherwise if they're getting closer I bought a bunch of cheap towels on Amazon and mold them to fit in the box.

When moving, I split my books into multiple boxes half filled with blankets and towels. Half the weight!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I solved my storage problem 10 years or so back by getting rid of all my phsyical media and switiching to digital. I kept the hardbacks I had though.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Medullah posted:

Looking at this I realized maybe it’s weird I have my dividers with labels before the comic series they represent instead of after

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Looking at this I realized maybe it’s weird I have my dividers with labels before the comic series they represent instead of after

That's how I had them before I redid then with better dividers. Behind just made more sense to me, I've seen both in the wild

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Save those bags of air you get from shipments.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I had to put my collection in storage while we move, and I used a rolled mousepad to fill in the gap. Like others above said, I recommend bagging and boarding but there's no real wrong way as long as it's dry and not being crushed. I have several long boxes of comics that are just in the boxes with no bags and boards and they're fine, but they also are books I want, but wouldn't lose sleep over them being damaged.

I've seen some really cool file drawer style storage setups too. When I get settled, I'd like to make a 3x3 rolling box type cabinet with either baskets or rolling drawers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah there's a lot of fancy cabinets people have made and I've been tempted to hire a woodworker to build one for me but ultimately I have other expenses that take priority

Example.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I built this during covid lock downs. One of my first woodworking builds. I'd like to get back into the hobby and make a nicer one!

It's not even at my house at the moment. :( Left it at my mom's when I moved.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’d love to get some fancy rear end cabinets for my comics down the line. I did end up finding these, however, which is exactly what I was picturing in my mind when I was looking for something

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’d love to get some fancy rear end cabinets for my comics down the line. I did end up finding these, however, which is exactly what I was picturing in my mind when I was looking for something

Oh poo poo that's really cool.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i went digital and then leave my trades and hardcovers laying stacked on any open surface

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
An entirely predictable upside to the writers and actors strikes.

https://twitter.com/TheCartelDel/status/1682952323436511233?t=aADxBiTdARMl2ONj7rrqzg&s=19

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Old comic ads were filled with trash, but I'll be damned if they didn't look neat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the scams moved into between tweets rather than between comic pages

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/GodswillUgwaJr/status/1683553221565112320
lol
This is horror master Junji Ito

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is his box, it was made for him.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Vincent posted:

Old comic ads were filled with trash, but I'll be damned if they didn't look neat.

Reminds me of those Boy Scout magazines I always saw in the library and how bad I wanted that “build your own hover craft” kit that was always advertised in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I wanted some X-Ray glasses so drat bad. Even then I knew GRIT was a scam though.