Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Kalyna is a loving superstar (for that money)

Yeah, starting out with an actual rifle is a huge plus for her.

Also, for anybody else starting out with JA3 just now: Do not skimp on agility for your custom character. I mistakenly thought it was only for mobility, but it also determines the number of your AP which is good for everything. On my first attempt I had only 6 AP total and couldn't even use my weapon fully, much less move and shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dragon Quest Treasures is now on Steam. i gave it a 7/10 last year, it ended up near the bottom of my top 50, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's just a bit unspectacular and looks like a budget game

You play as one of two kids who have been isekaied to floating islands full of treasure, and you recruit monsters to help you find them. There's no turn-based combat and you don't even hack and slash in this. Instead you have a support slingshot while your monsters fight ahead of you, which can do minor damage to enemies or can buff/debuff and heal depending on what you're shooting out of them.

You basically set out on an expedition to one of the islands, dig treasure up as you hot-or-cold to them, do a couple of side quests, then head back. The treasures are all references to past Dragon Quest games both mainline, spinoff, and even merch.

the game was made for the Switch and it shows, this is a budget-rear end looking game that would make Pokemon Arceus look AAA if it wasn't for the now stable resolution and framerate that a PC port can provide. ultimately though, the screenshots practically look like Yuzu screenshots of the game so, they didn't really enhance the game for this port.

it's sort of a almost-baked idea that I think will be much better in a sequel, much like DQ Builders was. the fact that it's gotten a Steam release seems positive in that direction. for this first one, I'd wait for a sale.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 15, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
those screenshots look fine i dont get the complaint

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Black Griffon posted:

lol oops

besides that though?

It owns

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hell yeah, I'm watching the intro rn.
Edit: makes my computer sound like a jet engine though, god drat

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 15, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Diephoon posted:

I tried one of the betas and I did not like Exoprimal. I thought it was going to be "Earth Defense Force but with dinosaurs and a higher budget because Capcom."

Instead what you get is "You have a mission to shoot dinosaurs and you're racing another team for some reason, oh and now you're directly fighting the other team instead of the dinosaur threat because ??? :confused:"

I bitched about this heavily during the post beta survey. They added a "PVE" mode in response to beta feedback, but based on the reviews it's just switching out the final mission segment with a PVE encounter instead of directly fighting the other team. You're still racing another team during the initial mission phases and the enemy can control a dinosaur and fight you during the match, which is still PVP.

I understand the game isn't what I want it to be, but I also have a hard time getting over thinking that if they just made EDF but with dinosaurs they would have a cool and fun game.

This sounds like Destiny's Gambit mode tbh

Two teams race to kill a boss first by murdering trash mobs and minibosses, score points, score enough and a player goes to the other team to attack them directly. During the boss phase both teams can routinely invade the other.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

At least in Gambit you have some reasonable expectations about what you're getting into, and it can be pretty fun if the teams are balanced. Exoprimal just sounds like a whole mess.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

RBA Starblade posted:

This sounds like Destiny's Gambit mode tbh

Two teams race to kill a boss first by murdering trash mobs and minibosses, score points, score enough and a player goes to the other team to attack them directly. During the boss phase both teams can routinely invade the other.

Hilariously enough I just saw this comparison on another board where a guy went "yeah I was in the beta, realized halfway in it was Bad Gambit, and went to go play Gambit and had a better time"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

a damning comparison considering gambit is absolute rear end, although the part of the exoprimal's matches where both teams actually exist in the same world and can kill each other freely would fix gambit's biggest problems (if that was the whole game).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The 7th Guest posted:

Dragon Quest Treasures is now on Steam. i gave it a 7/10 last year, it ended up near the bottom of my top 50, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It's just a bit unspectacular and looks like a budget game

You play as one of two kids who have been isekaied to floating islands full of treasure, and you recruit monsters to help you find them. There's no turn-based combat and you don't even hack and slash in this. Instead you have a support slingshot while your monsters fight ahead of you, which can do minor damage to enemies or can buff/debuff and heal depending on what you're shooting out of them.

You basically set out on an expedition to one of the islands, dig treasure up as you hot-or-cold to them, do a couple of side quests, then head back. The treasures are all references to past Dragon Quest games both mainline, spinoff, and even merch.

the game was made for the Switch and it shows, this is a budget-rear end looking game that would make Pokemon Arceus look AAA if it wasn't for the now stable resolution and framerate that a PC port can provide. ultimately though, the screenshots practically look like Yuzu screenshots of the game so, they didn't really enhance the game for this port.

it's sort of a almost-baked idea that I think will be much better in a sequel, much like DQ Builders was. the fact that it's gotten a Steam release seems positive in that direction. for this first one, I'd wait for a sale.

It should be illegal to talk about this game and not mention the voice lines, which are constant and repetitive to the extreme. Every monster has like two voice lines which they will repeat every 5 seconds. It drove me utterly insane.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I have DQ treasures on the Switch and I found it to be a very charming game. Great music, the fights were fun and there are tons of DQ monsters to recruit. The entire game has the same DQ charm that all the others do too.

I love how the king slimes blorb around, how gigantic the golems are and that you can ride the sabercats. Every monster type has a special move too. And all the monster names are puns. Amazing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks for the write up on DQ Treasures; I’d never heard of it. I’ll wishlist it for now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

At least in Gambit you have some reasonable expectations about what you're getting into, and it can be pretty fun if the teams are balanced. Exoprimal just sounds like a whole mess.

Also, Gambit fits a lot better into its surrounding narrative and setting. Destiny is already filled with dumbass immortals doing dumb poo poo for fun and profit, so squaring off against one another for loot and experience fits into that fairly easily.

Exoprimal, however? I came here to protect humanity from hordes of invading dinosaurs. Instead I'm stuck running lovely artificial wargames in some extradimensional arena suspended in time so that some AI can gather ~*~combat data~*~. That would maybe be acceptable as a secondary optional game mode to mix things up, but it really doesn't work when it's literally the only thing you can do. It also obliterates any stakes in a match's outcome. Losing because you failed to hold back the dinosaurs and now they're rampaging through the city destroying poo poo would mean something. Losing because the other team was like 5 seconds faster but the AI still got its combat data so it's all good just feels absolutely limp and meaningless.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why doesn't BattleBit's server browser filter out full servers :(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, goon-made Shadows of Forbidden Gods is out of early access today. How did it turn out?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ZearothK posted:

So, goon-made Shadows of Forbidden Gods is out of early access today. How did it turn out?

It's fantastic. If you watch a bit of gameplay and think 'hey that seems like my sort of thing' then get it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

It's a very interesting sandbox kind of game with a very unique premise.
There's still quite a lot of jank, even though the UI has been improved immensely, and it's not the most tightly designed game, but overall I'd say that if you're interested in the premise of playing a reverse 4X to excuse some dry-ness, then it's definitely worth picking up.

Steam reviews seem to agree.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kazil posted:

Do you think there will be an apology tweet?

apology song played on the hunting horn

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Why doesn't BattleBit's server browser filter out full servers :(

I'd just be happy to filter by region. Being able to stop it from searching the JP/EU/US servers would make things much more convenient.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Perestroika posted:

Also, Gambit fits a lot better into its surrounding narrative and setting. Destiny is already filled with dumbass immortals doing dumb poo poo for fun and profit, so squaring off against one another for loot and experience fits into that fairly easily.

Exoprimal, however? I came here to protect humanity from hordes of invading dinosaurs. Instead I'm stuck running lovely artificial wargames in some extradimensional arena suspended in time so that some AI can gather ~*~combat data~*~. That would maybe be acceptable as a secondary optional game mode to mix things up, but it really doesn't work when it's literally the only thing you can do. It also obliterates any stakes in a match's outcome. Losing because you failed to hold back the dinosaurs and now they're rampaging through the city destroying poo poo would mean something. Losing because the other team was like 5 seconds faster but the AI still got its combat data so it's all good just feels absolutely limp and meaningless.

you might be the first person in recorded history to give a poo poo about the ~story implications~ of winning a match in a pvp shooter
also this comparison doesn't even make sense because the pvp in destiny (particularly crucible) is also canonically a just-for-fun pastime with no consequences for losing.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 15, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why does Tracer Overwatch have to shoot all her friends though

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hwurmp posted:

why does Tracer Overwatch have to shoot all her friends though

friends are just enemies trying to get close to you

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RandomBlue posted:

friends are just enemies trying to get close to you

or are enemies friends who have the sense to keep distance from you?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
When do they become lovers?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MajorBonnet posted:

When do they become lovers?

When I finish my fanfic.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I saw some JA3 posts in here, did that game turn out decent? Maybe even good??

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

I think it might be good! I haven't played too much, but the humor isn't as bad as I feared and the gameplay is fun and satisfying. I quite like the mercs because they're all such loving dweebs. Got one barefoot is legal doctor, a shooter who's always very sleepy and asks every NPC for snacks and the worlds dumbest woman who also kills good.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

It's still early to tell in terms of replayability, but I can safely say it's the best JA game since 2. Might be as good as 2 if it keeps up the quality.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you might be the first person in recorded history to give a poo poo about the ~story implications~ of winning a match in a pvp shooter

As someone who chronically skips all cutscenes ever, I get what you're saying but the point is it's a stupid contrivance for a multiplayer game, and the game would be better off without it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I''ve been playing Diablo IV and have come to the realization that it's just not gory enough. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of flayed corpses and blood rivers, which is all well and good, but when you're actually carving through enemies they usually just flop on the ground, sometimes accompanied by a small blood decal. I'm rolling as a Sorceress so maybe having all my damage be elemental exacerbates the issue but still, I want to gib people, dammit!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mordja posted:

I''ve been playing Diablo IV and have come to the realization that it's just not gory enough. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of flayed corpses and blood rivers, which is all well and good, but when you're actually carving through enemies they usually just flop on the ground, sometimes accompanied by a small blood decal. I'm rolling as a Sorceress so maybe having all my damage be elemental exacerbates the issue but still, I want to gib people, dammit!

Try a barb. I am constantly decapitaing goatmen and cutting demons in half with double swing.

KindRain
Mar 30, 2011
I can't redeem this without owning the game.

A9VWA-3HIAD-GC67A

It's a beta cosmetic? charm for Exoprimal, steam only.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordja posted:

The worst is the one Necromancer ability that just creates an impenetrable cloud of black fog. Have they fixed that in the last few weeks? At launch, literally every single world event your screen was just pitch black and you couldn't see poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

The worst is the one Necromancer ability that just creates an impenetrable cloud of black fog. Have they fixed that in the last few weeks? At launch, literally every single world event your screen was just pitch black and you couldn't see poo poo.

They did.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

also this comparison doesn't even make sense because the pvp in destiny (particularly crucible) is also canonically a just-for-fun pastime with no consequences for losing.
Wasn't "I signed up to fight dinosaurs, wtf are we doing loving around with the other team" the consensus on this game?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There is a difference between wanting a coop PvE horde game but instead getting a competitive PvPvE with a race component and caring about the in-story implications of who wins a match. When I play Hunt and lose I'm not like drat my hunter won't ever see his family again, I instead go "what a lucky rear end headshot, RIP my (stolen) $500 triple-barrel rifle"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

speaking of Hunt: Showdown, is it as hideously difficult & probably-not-very-fun to play solo* as it looks? seems fun in theory but no one in my circle's shown interest

* or to try to matchmake for as a newbie, what with gear being on the line :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 16, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

speaking of Hunt: Showdown, is it as hideously difficult & probably-not-very-fun to play solo* as it looks? seems fun in theory but no one in my circle's shown interest

* or to try to matchmake for as a newbie :v:

There's a solos-only mode called soul survivor so you don't have to match against larger team sizes and it also doesn't require you to pay for your own gear, but it does not have skill based matchmaking (and I don't think it's a great experience in general).

the game does artificially feed you lower-skill players when you're playing solo against teams, but I still really wouldn't suggest trying to learn the game solo. It's a tough game to start and you will learn an order of magnitude faster when you have a trio to hang with, see what they do, and learn from. When you get headshot out of nowhere you can get revived by your team and keep going instead of instantly losing the match.

I absolutely don't suggest playing with matchmade teams because the game does not have built-in team-exclusive chat for some insane reason, so you can only broadcast voice/text chat in an area around you which enemy players can see and your own teammates can't if they're too far away, and this is a game that benefits from a lot of micro-communication. Good news: there are trios playing most days in the goon discord and most of us have no problem rolling with new players, so you don't have to play with pubs or solo.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Legion TD2 is having a free weekend next week (20th-23rd)

I've posted about it in this thread before because it's IMO one of the best designed competitive strategy games of all time. It's one of the only competitive strategy games I have ever played that is actually about each player's moment-to-moment decision making and their ability to make the best choices possible based on limited information and their predictions. This is in contrast to most big strategy games relying very heavily on things like understanding metas and build orders, accomplishing things by certain timestamps, and overall 'perfecting' the right style of play and doing it better than your opponents.

It has a steep learning curve because it's all about going with your gut and you need to understand all the moving pieces so that your gut thinks about them the right way but it's extremely satisfying to get good at and is the only pvp game that has ever held my attention for 500+ hours. It's really, really good if you get into it, but definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Anyway some recent patches have made it easier to get into as a beginner than ever before (still expect to have no idea what you're doing at first though) and a 3-day free weekend is probably enough time to figure it out well enough to know if you want to buy it, so if you're interested check it out next weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If you ever played the WC3 custom map it's basically that but refined 100x in terms of just about everything. Very fun game with a good passionate team behind it.