Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I was going to say something about the Vandal being great for shaping around tight courses and woods, being an understable mid/putter and all…but that’s the Bounty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Muir posted:

There’s a Trilogy challenge and an MVP circuit challenge near me in August and I’d love to do one or both, schedule permitting.

I’m def trying to play a circuit challenge.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone know anything about the PDGA election? I'm trying to figure out how to vote to support making disc golf inclusive to all people but my googling just leads to these horrible congregations of terfs. I finally emailed Neptune discs to see who they're supporting but I haven't heard back yet.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Don’t vote for Nate Heinhold

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

As a casual rear end without a number, the courses are out there and all I need is one disc to have fun. The PDGA under the WFDF has no say in my game. I hope y'all figure out the competitive side of things but it's always just me verse the course.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dead Nerve posted:

As a casual rear end without a number, the courses are out there and all I need is one disc to have fun. The PDGA under the WFDF has no say in my game. I hope y'all figure out the competitive side of things but it's always just me verse the course.

I strongly agree with this mindset and I don't actually personally care for tournaments, I like smoking weed and throwing frisbees as well as I can for its own reward. But I hate terfs even more than that, so if I can vote in the pdga election I'm going to do it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

I strongly agree with this mindset and I don't actually personally care for tournaments, I like smoking weed and throwing frisbees as well as I can for its own reward. But I hate terfs even more than that, so if I can vote in the pdga election I'm going to do it.

I don't have a PDGA membership, but it is good to prevent the evangelicals from taking over.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Not to mention all the self dealing he doesn’t recuse himself from.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Salt Fish posted:

Hell yeah. Please let us know what you hear from Neptune.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dead Nerve posted:

Friend it certainly does, as the PDGA has a notable influence on how courses are run and managed across the country. The culture of the PDGA matters even if you're a drink beer and throw disc guy like me.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Friend it certainly does, as the PDGA has a notable influence on how courses are run and managed across the country. The culture of the PDGA matters even if you're a drink beer and throw disc guy like me.

biggest gatekeeper of the sport eh

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What, if anything, would you change about the PDGA Policy on Eligibility for Gender-Based Divisions?

Geoff Hungerford #688
Adam Wright #6387
Tim Petrea #34756
Nate Heinold #49340
Luke Turnbull #63994
James Koizumi #126027

GH: I feel the PDGA should sanction and recognize disc golf competitions where tournament directors have the freedom to choose a female eligibility policy that is appropriate for the community they serve. This would be an extension of the PDGA policy currently offered to the DGPT, they can choose between an exclusive or an inclusive eligibility policy, provided it is not prohibited by local laws.

AW: I believe there is an unfair advantage that transgender women have over cis women in female protected divisions. I believe there needs to be a level playing field and I don't think that exists in the sport right now.

That being said, I do have a female transgender member of my family and if she wants to compete in sports one day, I would like her to have that opportunity in a way that is comfortable for her. I do not know what those options are or what they should be but it is something that needs to be look into to be as welcoming as we can be as a community.

TP: I would like to address some of the inconsistencies in the policy. If a player is not allowed to play on the Pro Tour , then they should not be allowed to play in the A, B , or C tiers. I would like to become more informed on why we cant enforce this.

NH: I strongly support and helped author the current policy. In general, I do not believe that transgender women should be competiting in female divisions. At the same time, the PDGA sanctions events all over the world and we need to be mindful of the laws across our footprint. It is important to see how things play out with other sports organizations, legal proceedings, etc, before taking additional steps.

LT: I and the rest of the PDGA membership base were not privy to the discussions held by the PDGA Board of Directors in November 2022. My greatest concern with the current policy is the lack of transparency - a significant decision boiled down to a footnote in minutes, summarising a seven hour discussion into a few sentences. From my perspective - it's a more complex and nuanced discussion than some are making it out to be. The PDGA needs to ensure they maintain fairness within the policy whilst still being an inclusive sport. I believe that this will be a topic of discussion for the PDGA (and all sports) for many years to come and discussions need to be had and decisions made without malice, with fairness, inclusion and integrity for all involved.

James Koizumi's answer was too deranged to even try to parse so its omitted here. Its not lost on me that these are all dudes.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
How much of their decision is based on the IOC rules for getting new sports into the olympics?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hdip posted:

How much of their decision is based on the IOC rules for getting new sports into the olympics?

None. They mention the IOC guidance and then follow none of it, as the trial judge for Natalie Ryan's federal court case re: OTB Open helpfully laid out: https://ecf.caed.uscourts.gov/doc1/033113736137

quote:

To determine whether this injunction is in the public interest, the Court looks at guidance from leaders in the athletic world. The International Olympic Committee (“IOC”) is among those leaders. As the parties have all noted, the IOC promulgated a framework related to the inclusion of individuals in sports based on gender. (ECF No. 25-3). This framework states “[e]veryone, regardless of their gender identity, expression and/or sex variation should be able to participate in sport safely and without prejudice.” (Id. at 2.) The IOC counsels for inclusion and the prevention of discrimination. The PDGA asserts the rules were created in response to the IOC framework and represented during the hearing that the PDGA policy is in line with this framework. However, when the policy is compared to the IOC framework, there appear to be significant discrepancies. The IOC framework mandates “[t]he physical, psychological and mental well-being of athletes should be prioritized when establishing eligibility criteria.” (Id. at 3.) However, the PDGA medical subcommittee report explicitly states, “it does not include sociological, psychological, or cultural issues surrounding transgender participation in competitive athletics.” (ECF No. 22-1 at 1.)

The IOC framework also counsels “[n]o athlete should be precluded from competing or excluded from competition on the exclusive ground of an unverified, alleged or perceived unfair competitive advantage due to their sex variations, physical appearance and/or transgender status.” (ECF No. 25-3 at 4.) It goes on to say “[u]ntil evidence (per principle 6) determines otherwise, athletes should not be deemed to have an unfair or disproportionate competitive advantage due to their sex variations, physical appearance and/or transgender status.” (Id.) Based on this Court’s review of the PDGA’s medical subcommittee report, neither of these principles were honored. There is currently insufficient evidence in the record to support a finding that Plaintiff has an unfair or disproportionate competitive advantage. The assumption that she will have an unfair competitive advantage seems to be based on the “unverified” and “perceived” notion that because Plaintiff is transgender and went to male puberty, she will be better. These discrepancies between the IOC framework and the PDGA policy counsel in favor of granting the TRO.

Additionally, the trend in women’s sporting events appears to be more inclusive than the policy in the instant case. As discussed at the hearing the NCAA, NWSL, and WNBA all have policies in place governing gender qualifications and none of them require transition prior to male puberty as the PDGA policy section C.3 does. Taken together, the IOC’s guidance and the trend in professional sports organizations not to require transition prior to puberty are persuasive and sufficient to demonstrate an injunction here is in the public’s interest.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The "you cannot play if you transitioned after puberty" rule is far beyond the current Olympic rules, which require 4 years post transition and 1 year of <10nmol per liter for testosterone. These are already burdensome enough, and trans competitors are rare enough, that the first openly trans competitor didn't compete until 2021 (winning no medals) ten years after the rule update.

The rule is also, in my opinion, designed to interact with laws being passed that you cannot transition before puberty or which ban puberty blockers, and as well to specifically remove Natalie after she broke into the top 20 FPO players (currenty #12).
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/104425

For reference her rating is 962 as a touring professional who practices daily, which would make her the 3741st best player if she were in MPO.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/discgolfprotour/status/1677457912917008386?s=46

https://twitter.com/discgolfprotour/status/1677808262249431041?s=46

Gannon Buhr took a Simon line so strong that they installed a mando

Bootloafus
Apr 5, 2009

giblet gravy

I don't know why that Mando wasn't in place already. I'm almost certain it has been in before after Emac took that route in a tournament.

Bad Rock really needs to be bumped to elite series. I really want to see the full field on this track.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I moved and all my discs are in a container getting shipped here. I just played a random draw doubles with a borrowed avair and made cash. Some dude at the start called me a newbie when he saw I had 1 disc so it was super sick to get 2nd place.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I moved and all my discs are in a container getting shipped here. I just played a random draw doubles with a borrowed avair and made cash. Some dude at the start called me a newbie when he saw I had 1 disc so it was super sick to get 2nd place.

Lol, that's great. If anything, the person showing up to a competition with nothing but a putter is probably someone you should be wary of.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Lmao hell yeah

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Even funnier that it was a borrowed disc. Some people worry too much about what other people are doing.

I really wish I hadn't ignored all the people saying just "throw putters (and mids)" when you are getting started. I've been playing not quite a year and a half now, and I never cleaned up my release. As my general form got better and I added more power, I eventually got to the point where everything short of a 10 speed would just wobble and burn. Never put two and two together somehow. Don't skip steps, folks!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Lol yeah. It keeps happening for me. Every time I hit a better piece of my form and i get more power, I have to disc down to figure out what to do with it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Putters and mids ftw

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
When you start out you should just throw whatever you enjoy, for whatever reason that may be! It's only when you decide to get serious about learning proper form that you should disc down to putters and, in my opinion, understable mids.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/discgolfprotour/status/1679905279876694016?s=46

They picked the nuclear option. This loving sucks!!! Instead of letting one trans woman compete, they’re denying ALL women the chance to compete. What a bunch of loving dunces.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Guess I won't be renewing my PDGA after this year, gently caress that

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have never in my life been happier that its now impossible to read twitter comments.

I'm still a pdga member. I was going to cancel last year when they announced that the Olympic standards weren't stringent enough, but Natalie herself said to keep the membership and use it to vote, be seen playing, and represent. So I took my 10 year badge off my bag and replaced it with a little keychain pride flag. Doesn't do poo poo, but if you see me on the course at least you know I want to see all kinds of people out there playing.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 14, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/discgolfprotour/status/1679905279876694016?s=46

They picked the nuclear option. This loving sucks!!! Instead of letting one trans woman compete, they’re denying ALL women the chance to compete. What a bunch of loving dunces.

Did they cancel events in affirming states? I can’t decipher the PR speak.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I have never in my life been happier that its now impossible to read twitter comments.

I'm still a pdga member. I was going to cancel last year when they announced that the Olympic standards weren't stringent enough, but Natalie herself said to keep the membership and use it to vote, be seen playing, and represent. So I took my 10 year badge off my bag and replaced it with a little keychain pride flag. Doesn't do poo poo, but if you see me on the course at least you know I want to see all kinds of people out there playing.

Good point. I gotta sew my LGBTQIA+ flag on my bag, this'll be a good impetus!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Did they cancel events in affirming states? I can’t decipher the PR speak.

Yeah basically. The argument is that they don't want to fight any more lawsuits, to which the obvious answer is "then let her play".

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

NFX posted:

Yeah basically. The argument is that they don't want to fight any more lawsuits, to which the obvious answer is "then let her play".

I think the DGPT went this route so FPO players opposing this don't end up boycotting. Not sure how many would actually do it but there were plenty standing for "fairness" at the Preserve press conference.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I know Catrina Allen has come out in support of dgpt. Paige and Ella are publicly supportive of Natalie. I’m hoping Missy, Ohn, and Jen Allen are cool since they’re ridiculously nice and happy in person

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Catrina Allen is probably the most vocal anti-trans FPO player, but she definitely isn't alone. There were a lot of big names on that declaration some months ago, including Kristin Tattar and Jennifer Allen.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
I went ahead and transcribed Kristin Tattar's response on the topic from 3 weeks ago on Foundation since I was looking for it without needing to listen to Brodie. Maybe other people are looking for that too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUnV97c1jEk&t=2813s

Brodie: [meandering and wordy request for statement, mentioning Kristin signing that declaration]

KT: I mean yeah first of all I think the reason why a lot of players have not been coming out with their ideologies... doesn't matter what side you're on, it hasn't been, I don't feel like it has been safe. I think last year we were threatened to be disqualified if we don't agree with ideology...

Brodie: Okay, who is that who who

KT: I think there was this like statement that if you... I can't remember

Brodie: Through the disc golf pro tour like someone like establishment came out and said something along the lines of...

KT: Disc Golf Pro Tour. So it didn't really feel maybe I misinterpreted I don't know but I feel like um you could only stand on one side of the matter. Well first of all I think I accept everybody as they come, doesn't matter what is your, like, sexuality, preferneces, how do you want to dress up, what relations you have, what skin color you have. I think like I judge a person by their character, not their ideologies. That being said, I think in sports, um, to me it's obvious why there are two divisions. To me it's obvious, I don't know. For some people I think... it's not obvious? I don't know. But I don't know if you guys can tell me one discipline where women have a better world record than the men.

Brodie: blah blah blah Gymnastics, but maybe not

KT: Yeah I don't know

Uli: Running? Long distance running?

KT: Well I agree that you compare mens and women's top athletes, women hit the ceiling earlier, I mean we are designed differently I feel like. Women are designed to do their thing and men designed to do other things, and I mean, I think women should be in their own category and I think biological women should have their own category and yeah that's my opinion and I respect that people have other opinions. And this is just in sports. And in life as I said like it doesn't matter who you are, I want everybody to succeed and most of all I want everybody to be happy. But to be happy I feel like you have to look inward. You can't put that weigh on someone else's shoulders. So I cannot expect you guys to make me happy, I need to make myself happy, and when I make myself happy, happiness comes all around. But if I always like look outwards and rely on other people to do stuff for me and put my happiness dependent on that it's already set up for failure. Mostly it's just heartbreaking to me because I see that FPO devision is like divided in that sense and I want us all to be one happy community so we can be comfortable on the course.

She goes on to talk about finding common ground and being honest with each other to be happy and play disc golf in fair conditions and respect each other. Then there's some more stuff you can go ahead and listen if you want to.

Worth mentioning that I think she said something on Instagram afterward that she struggled to express herself in a second language, but I don't remember exactly.

E: typos

Gaston Bachelard fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 16, 2023

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I don’t understand what she’s trying to get across or much about this topic at all. For clarity: In states where gender affirming care exists, dgpa is cancelling all those FPO events and using the excuse that too much money being spent on lawsuits defending a group of cis gendered women’s idea of fairness?

Is this not the biggest cutting off of one’s nose to spite one’s face move, like drat, for what? What a gross organization. I can’t see myself supporting this sport at the pro level.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last fall, Natalie Ryan, a trans woman, won the DGLO tournament's FPO division, an elite series tournament. Her ranking otherwise puts her in the top 20 or so.

Over the winter, the DGPT announced rules effectively banning women who have transitioned post puberty from competing in the FPO. Before that I believe they followed the more lenient Olympic guidelines from 2015. Those are based on max levels of testosterone (for trans athletes only), time since transition, etc.
The new rules only apply to the DGPT. A-series tournaments still follow the previous rules, but obviously have less prestige and smaller prizes.

Natalie Ryan said she would sue to be allowed to compete in the DGPT, and she did. I don't think any of that has been settled yet, but there have been temporary rulings. In California, for the OTB Open she got a temporary ruling allowing her to compete, then PDGA appealed and won the appeal, so she only got to play one round. In Minnesota she also sued, and competed in the Preserve tournament at the end of June, placing 14th.

Simultaneously to this, in this spring after the new rules came out, several prominent (cis) players have protested trans inclusion in the sport saying it's unfair blah blah.

Now the DGPT has cancelled FPO tournaments in several states where she'd be likely to win a lawsuit. I believe most/all of those tournaments have been moved to the A series.

Mcqueen posted:

What a gross organization. I can’t see myself supporting this sport at the pro level.

Yeah.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Extremely sad to me that professionalization almost always comes part and parcel with this poo poo. Disc golf has always been open being open to everyone and very accessible and it sucks that the culture war is bleeding into the sport like this.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Another layer of irony here with the DGPT plan to replace many FPO events with A tier events is that their own rules allow Natalie Ryan to play in A tiers.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Question: So if they keep the prize money the same, but rate it as an A tier. What would that effectively change? Would player's still show up? What are the points of the silver and elite series for? (I only passively follow disc golf, but I find the tour fascinating as it is very similar to the problems seen in the surfing tour World Surf League, which I do follow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I believe the tier affects both points and the amount of cash in the prize pool, payouts also determined by added cash and amount of players. A and below will also split prizes with the Am pool.

With that you'll rarely get touring pros at them unless it's an off week and they are in the area hosting the tournament.