Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there are a go-to guide for materials all the one page?

I want to get a crystal off a frost talus, but I need level 2 snow gear to negate his frost effect, which means hunting red chuchus and scouring for a plant you can't buy that grows in a desert full of hostile bug people.

It's galling that after two sages, a hundred shrines, every lightroot, and nearly every side adventure, I still find myself short of even basic materials needed to upgrade a hat a whopping two points. The item economy is hosed, even for casual players.

Google the parts you need. A lot of times the shop sells them somewhere or an area has lots to farm. To upgrade the cold gear, a lot of the materials are around Death Mountain.

Games like totk have massive item libraries and there's no shame in looking them up for farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

To defeat the Frost Talus, shoot at it until it dies

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Taluses with butt crystals parallel to the ground can gently caress off

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Runcible Cat posted:

No. Have you got all the lightroots? Any of your existing shrines got an orange centre?

I have all the lightroots, I'm pretty sure there's no orange shrines. I know I have no active shrine quests

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Poque posted:

The Taluses with butt crystals parallel to the ground can gently caress off

Ascend and smash. Works every time
E: once I learned your could ascend through a talus and not have to climb them they started being a lot less scary

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 15, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HootTheOwl posted:

I have all the lightroots, I'm pretty sure there's no orange shrines. I know I have no active shrine quests

32 shrines in the sky?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

HootTheOwl posted:

And you have all .....32..... in the sky?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yup.
Like I said, I even had a map out and couldn't find them! I'm sure they're there is just there's a ton of them to compare to

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

HootTheOwl posted:

that's what she said!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HootTheOwl posted:

Yup.
Like I said, I even had a map out and couldn't find them! I'm sure they're there is just there's a ton of them to compare to

Long shot, but one of the last ones I found was one that I'd marked with a star based on the lightroot position, but forgot to go back and find later. I skipped over it at first when I was flipping between the maps, because there was a corresponding icon there and my brain decided it was a match.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Still making my way through this. Bounced out of this thread early on because I kept seeing minor spoilers. I'm pretty sure some people were trolling with posts about fake items/abilities. I spent almost 100 hours wondering when I was going to be able to dig and get some glove or something that the constructs had a funny reaction to. Hats off guys lol

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The ambition of this game finally overworks the hardware when you unlock the last sage's ability and the framerate dies.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I'm trying to get all the shrines done and these "bring the crystal" ones are getting bloody tedious.

Edit: there is no way I will be doing all the Addisons.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Or the koroks, or the monster medals.

I was able to knock out every side adventure in the space of a day.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Played this for about 150 hours without thinking to just shield surf over gloom

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They really don't push shield surfing in this game. I think maybe one shrine quest asks for it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

No Wave posted:

They really don't push shield surfing in this game. I think maybe one shrine quest asks for it?

There's also a sidequest involving a missing surfing master, unless that eventually wraps into the shrine quest and I just skipped it. But yeah, that's all I can think of.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Gambrinus posted:

I'm trying to get all the shrines done and these "bring the crystal" ones are getting bloody tedious.

Edit: there is no way I will be doing all the Addisons.

Not sure if it still works, but attach wood to an arrow and fire it towards the crystal location. Get there fast, attach the crystal to the wood using superhand, then use recall to bring the crystal back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HootTheOwl posted:

E: once I learned your could ascend through a talus and not have to climb them they started being a lot less scary

What the fuc-

Luff posted:

Played this for about 150 hours without thinking to just shield surf over gloom

WHAT THE gently caress!?!?!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

130 hours, finally got around to beating Ganondorf. Overall a very good experience, but I think it'll be a while until I'm ready to revisit. The critical path content is a bit better than BOTW, but the nonlinear nature still hurts it since they can't incorporate the same story and gameplay progression that they'd have in a linear game. And the open world is great again, but I feel that the addition of lightroots hurts the exploration aspect since it makes it so easy to figure out where shrines are. Couple that with the sheer overwhelming amount of content, much of which is fairly irrelevant, and after a certain point I just ended up beelining for the most significant/visible content (shrines, floating islands with obvious rewards, etc) and not paying much attention to the stuff in the middle. There's probably a bunch of caves I've missed with really cool and unique stuff. But since most of the caves just have a few like-likes, horriblins, and keese, I'm not going to bother digging around too much. Maybe when they drop DLC.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Just beat it, what a great last thirty minutes. Feels good man.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

165 hours in and still have lots to do. 45 shrines, another temple, and the gerudo region quests.

After I beat the game, i’ll still play it when im bored on a long rear end flight. Get korok seeds, and explore areas of the map I havent been to.

Need to learn better ways to beat the king dragons. I’m using up so many items to take em down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think King Gleeok was the last new enemy I finally saw, with about that much time in the game. Just randomly found a new sky island I hadn't been on, and there he was. I decided to just dive off back down to the ground, and almost froze to death on the way because I forgot I was wearing summer clothes :v:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought the only one was in the Gleeok Den in the depths which I planned on avoiding until I got stronger. When I got a monster control quest about "something dropping rocks from the sky in northwest Hyrule" I flew over to the most northwesterly arena-looking island thinking I'd just be fighting a Flux Construct. Needless to say I was incredibly unprepared, but I spent all that time going over there so I stuck it out. Used up a bunch of powerful monster parts I was saving but I figured this was as good a time as any to go all out.

In the end I don't think it was even the correct monster for the quest.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
For Taluses (Talus'? Tali?), I just run away so it throws one of it's rock arms, then rewind it for a free stun.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I like to throw splash fruit at the igneous ones, the sizzling as it cools down is so satisfying.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
It is just me or is the Talus arm throw a lot more accurate in this game? I swear I kept getting duffed while running laterally thinking I used to dodge it easily that way in BotW.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
I just spent multiple hours upgrading a set of rubber armor so I could fight the Thunder Gleeok so I could get the Awakening Trousers, which it turns out are just a pair of white pants

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Long shot, but one of the last ones I found was one that I'd marked with a star based on the lightroot position, but forgot to go back and find later. I skipped over it at first when I was flipping between the maps, because there was a corresponding icon there and my brain decided it was a match.

This happened to me too. It was right out in the open and everything, up on the cliffs above the seven heroines.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

I just spent multiple hours upgrading a set of rubber armor so I could fight the Thunder Gleeok so I could get the Awakening Trousers, which it turns out are just a[nother] pair of white pants

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mustached Demon posted:

Google the parts you need. A lot of times the shop sells them somewhere or an area has lots to farm. To upgrade the cold gear, a lot of the materials are around Death Mountain.

Games like totk have massive item libraries and there's no shame in looking them up for farming.

Except for lizalfos tails which don't drop for poo poo and I need like 30 of each element. After 110 hours I have like 11 total, including all elements. gently caress that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

loquacius posted:

I just spent multiple hours upgrading a set of rubber armor so I could fight the Thunder Gleeok so I could get the Awakening Trousers, which it turns out are just a pair of white pants

Yeah, that's the Link's Awakening pants. There's a full set for a bunch of old zelda games.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mymla posted:

I haven't tested it, but couldn't you just climb up on a spike and stay there while afk?
Yep, this is 100% the case and works on every dragon. If you hang onto one of the back spikes you can stay there forever, doesn't matter if the dragon's ascending from or diving into the depths. Just climb on and go AFK for ten minutes rather than sitting there babysitting it.

Related fact, don't try to save and reload on a dragon. They don't count as actual solid ground so you just respawn at where you last touched down. Whoops.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

loquacius posted:

Er - I hate to add to your pain but do you know the lightning helmet exists in this game?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
FFS I'm one lightroot short of finishing the depths. Gone through the map twice and no idea where it is.

Edit: found the bastard thing just south of Death Mountain

Gambrinus fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 16, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, that's the Link's Awakening pants. There's a full set for a bunch of old zelda games.

Yeah, they were the only classic set I had a quest breadcrumb for but I think having gotten them I'm just gonna look up where the NES and OoT sets are and leave the rest of them

Runcible Cat posted:

Er - I hate to add to your pain but do you know the lightning helmet exists in this game?

No lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Also, just catapulted Link from the earth up to the sky down to the depths and had him land facefirst because I couldn't see where the ground was

Sorry buddy :shobon:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's fine, he's impact proof

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm really glad I just happened to explore that area because I remembered what it was from botw because that helmet has made it so easy to cheese s bunch of stuff. That end the helmet that makes me unfreezeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Start looking for yiga lairs, it's a fun questline!