Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Praying and pleading that this is you being facetious, but holy smokes if it’s not and you actually give a poo poo about that.

Pretty sure it was an old joke from back when the 4S looked the exact same as the 4, and someone legit complained about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone try the creepy personal voice on 17 beta yet? I painstakingly read all 150 phrases yesterday over 20-25 mins but it just tells me I need my phone locked and charging before it’ll process it, which it has been multiple times.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 15, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The real flex is going caseless, since it suggests you don’t care much if your $1000 phone shatters.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Oled screen life has improved year over year, to the point you need to run them for around 4000 hours on a static image to get noticeable image retention, and that's without using measures to prevent it.

And if you run dark mode religiously, most of the pixels won't be on in the first place, lasting even longer. This also extends battery life. You can get 25-50% longer battery life versus an led of the same size.

Someone on YouTube tested the burn in on an oled switch by displaying a screenshot at 100% full brightness 24/7. It took thousands of hours of doing that to get even the faintest amount of detectable burn in

Modern oleds are fine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone try the creepy personal voice on 17 beta yet? I painstakingly read all 150 phrases yesterday over 20-25 mins but it just tells me I need my phone locked and charging before it’ll process it, which it has been multiple times.

Not attempting to poo-poo the idea, and this may speak to me being able bodied, but I really don’t get what this is useful for. It’s in accessibility settings, so obviously it’s supposed to be helpful, but I don’t really get what problem it solves?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Not attempting to poo-poo the idea, and this may speak to me being able bodied, but I really don’t get what this is useful for. It’s in accessibility settings, so obviously it’s supposed to be helpful, but I don’t really get what problem it solves?

It’s for folks who know they are going to be losing their voice at some point. It’s a means to be able to ask for stuff when that happens but still using “your” voice even if it sounds super robotic still.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

It’s for folks who know they are going to be losing their voice at some point. It’s a means to be able to ask for stuff when that happens but still using “your” voice even if it sounds super robotic still.

That makes perfect sense! Obviously was lost on me since that's not something I'd even considered happening. Glad there are folks in tech who do think about this kinda stuff instead of just regular tech bros trying to one-up each other.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feel like the accessibility team at Apple is digging pretty deep to find new stuff to build.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

smackfu posted:

Feel like the accessibility team at Apple is digging pretty deep to find new stuff to build.

It’s easy to say that if you aren’t benefitting from the feature

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Automated voice responses to spam in my voice harassing them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

(iOS 17) I definitely need to call my phone from someone else’s to mess with the new options, as I’ve had calls while asleep and in the cinema this week followed up by people asking me what it was doing afterwards. Haven’t gotten to see the live voicemail either yet as all the spammers have been quiet this week.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

smackfu posted:

The real flex is going caseless, since it suggests you don’t care much if your $1000 phone shatters.

Actually I had always used the Apple leather case but when my current one started falling apart early this year I just stripped the phone naked and it definitely does feel nicer to hold and use in the hand. I’ve had an iPhone since the launch of the 6S plus and I’ve never dropped or had any damage to my phone. Going naked does have a trade off though because the phone is slightly worse when using it flat on a desk since there is nothing smoothing out the camera bump.

As an aside; does anyone think the quality of the Apple leather cases has declined over the years? I’m really disappointed at how ragged the one I got for my 12 pro became after a couple of years, by comparison the saddle brown leather on my 6S plus looked lovely.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Skill issue I have never dropped a phone

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yea, the newer leather cases are not worth it. The last ones I remember being good were on the 11 pros.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Someone on YouTube tested the burn in on an oled switch by displaying a screenshot at 100% full brightness 24/7. It took thousands of hours of doing that to get even the faintest amount of detectable burn in

Modern oleds are fine.

That's the test I'm referring to. He had to run it for 3600/3800 hours or something

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

TACD posted:

If I see somebody with an iPhone pro but a non-Ultra Apple Watch I know for sure they’re just a poser.

14 Pro checking in (Android my entire life) jankily running a Galaxy Watch3

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I saw a video of MKBHD talking about it and he said he had to wait until the next day to be able to use it. So he charged it and overnight it processed it, so you might have to give it a while on the charger if you've only just messed with it today

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Branch Nvidian posted:

It’s so you can hear what it would sound like if you could say tongue twisters perfectly

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mechanical Fiend posted:

It’s so you can hear what it would sound like if you could say tongue twisters perfectly

How much wood would Tim Cook chuck if Tim Cook could chuck wood

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Infernot posted:

I saw a video of MKBHD talking about it and he said he had to wait until the next day to be able to use it. So he charged it and overnight it processed it, so you might have to give it a while on the charger if you've only just messed with it today

It’s been a couple days now. Sometimes I’ll check and it’ll say 85%, then later it’ll say 84% then it’ll just say charge/lock it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

As an aside; does anyone think the quality of the Apple leather cases has declined over the years? I’m really disappointed at how ragged the one I got for my 12 pro became after a couple of years, by comparison the saddle brown leather on my 6S plus looked lovely.
If they have, they've just gone from a step above total garbage to total garbage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

If they have, they've just gone from a step above total garbage to total garbage.

Yeah, i don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't flaking off pleather and adding to the micro plastic in this world

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I continue to stand by Bullstrap for my leather cases. Yeah they’re expensive, but they have a lifetime warranty that includes cosmetic damage replacement. They patina amazingly too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bullstrap cases are probably the top now for the leather/magsafe combo. The Apple ones got worse once the MagSafe came in imo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You aren't imagining things, the official leather ones have gone way down in quality in recent years. It's embarrassing for Apple and a literal walking symbol of how Tim's spreadsheet costcutting mindset has started to whittle away the company's approach to quality.

My leather one deteriorated after 1.5 years and I ordered a Nomad case a few days ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I continue to stand by Bullstrap for my leather cases. Yeah they’re expensive, but they have a lifetime warranty that includes cosmetic damage replacement. They patina amazingly too.

How quick do these come out after launch?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

About a month or so. They usually put up preorders when Apple announces the new iPhones.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You aren't imagining things, the official leather ones have gone way down in quality in recent years. It's embarrassing for Apple and a literal walking symbol of how Tim's spreadsheet costcutting mindset has started to whittle away the company's approach to quality.

My leather one deteriorated after 1.5 years and I ordered a Nomad case a few days ago.

It really should not cost so much to buy a plastic case that was gently waved in front of a cow. I tend to buy them when the next phone is out and the previous gen cases go on sale for $20, and that’s about the right price.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

It really should not cost so much to buy a plastic case that was gently waved in front of a cow. I tend to buy them when the next phone is out and the previous gen cases go on sale for $20, and that’s about the right price.

See what I want is not so much a plastic case that a cow may have brushed past at one point but an actual leather case, made with like actual high end calf leather or kangaroo leather or something, like an expensive pair of gloves or a handbag or dress shoes. Something that’s actually been tanned and dyed properly, not given a coating that starts to peel after 6 months. I’d happily pay a couple hundred dollars for such a thing.

I’d even consider stepping up to one of those wrap around ones that have a couple card slots in them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

See what I want is not so much a plastic case that a cow may have brushed past at one point but an actual leather case, made with like actual high end calf leather or kangaroo leather or something, like an expensive pair of gloves or a handbag or dress shoes. Something that’s actually been tanned and dyed properly, not given a coating that starts to peel after 6 months. I’d happily pay a couple hundred dollars for such a thing.

I’d even consider stepping up to one of those wrap around ones that have a couple card slots in them.

If you can pay that much for one, you may as well search for leatherworkers locally or online, and commission a custom design.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 16, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

If you can pay that much for one, you may as well search for leatherworkers locally or online, and commission a custom design.

I’ve been thinking about it. These things seem to be harder to get hold of in Australia than they are elsewhere. There’s a great little shop in regional New South Wales that I bought my wallet from, they do bags and belts and wallets and things all locally hand made from local leather but they don’t do phone cases for some reason which is so odd to me, you’d think it’d be a no brainer product category.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve been thinking about it. These things seem to be harder to get hold of in Australia than they are elsewhere. There’s a great little shop in regional New South Wales that I bought my wallet from, they do bags and belts and wallets and things all locally hand made from local leather but they don’t do phone cases for some reason which is so odd to me, you’d think it’d be a no brainer product category.

Hmm, probably because it would be hard without a case to act as the structural support for the leather. You may have to buy a low profile case and see if they can glue leather to it, or whatever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Hmm, probably because it would be hard without a case to act as the structural support for the leather. You may have to buy a low profile case and see if they can glue leather to it, or whatever.

I mean I expect that a case would have some kind of rigid structure made of plastic or whatever under the leather but I would have thought getting those in the right shape to then make a high end leather case would be the easy part for any business that already made leather goods and wanted to expand into cases. I mean belts and wallets and bags and stuff have a bunch of non leather components already that someone else has to make and then gets integrated into the finished product like buckles and zippers and stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean I expect that a case would have some kind of rigid structure made of plastic or whatever under the leather but I would have thought getting those in the right shape to then make a high end leather case would be the easy part for any business that already made leather goods and wanted to expand into cases. I mean belts and wallets and bags and stuff have a bunch of non leather components already that someone else has to make and then gets integrated into the finished product like buckles and zippers and stuff.

Phone cases are made to the specific model though, to account for charge ports, camera holes, microphones, etc.; there's no "universal phone template". So a given case/phone design will eventually go out of production after a couple years at most, even with Apple.

If a designer is not already known for the work, it may not be worth the expense to post a minimum order to alibaba or wherever for dozens toa couple hundred blanks just for one specific phone model, never mind the top five or ten, just for that year alone.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 16, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Way to go Apple, the new update breaks swipe-right-from-the-left-edge-to-go-back-a-screen in the Library view of the TV app

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
iPhone two year AppleCare+ is ending soon. Has anyone else opted over to month-to-month AC+ to keep the coverage? I figure if I keep this phone for at least a few more years I’ll use it for battery replacement and can worry less if I drop it and it needs replaced. My phone is my daily user and central tool for a lot of tasks, so having the next day shipment of a replacement option is also nice.

Thoughts?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Infernot posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/bDtuVp1ywTo?feature=share

It’s… okay? Sounds like him but through some overly aggressive compression.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Data Graham posted:

Way to go Apple, the new update breaks swipe-right-from-the-left-edge-to-go-back-a-screen in the Library view of the TV app
Christ!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My dad lost the ability to talk about 15 years ago, and it’s super sad not to be able to hear his voice. My wife also passed away and despite having hundreds of photos of us, I realized I only had a couple of videos where you can hear her talk. I’ll probably go through setting this up as a future measure more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saddleback Leather makes iPhone cases of actual leather but they're literally just hard leather molded into a phone shape. No MagSafe so it's a pass from me.