Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Leave posted:

If there's no calories in diet soda, how is it still bad for you?
I'm pretty sure the acidity is bad for your teeth (and acid reflux, if that's a thing for you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
America also uses a lot of sweeteners and artificial colorants that are illegal in most other places.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

America also uses a lot of sweeteners and artificial colorants that are illegal in most other places.

As I understand it, the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) is actually quite stringent. There are things that America allows but that most European countries don't allow, but the reverse is also true, and overall the amount of detail work and care put into regulating what people eat is similar.

In other words, if America isn't a bastion of perfect food (and it isn't), then neither are the vast majority of other countries.

I'm not even remotely an expert on the topic, though, so I don't have examples or statistics available.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What’s the story with those old cancer findings about aspartame? Bunk or what?

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
Aspartame is famously one of the most studied food additives ever, and it is basically harmless.

I do believe that artificial sweeteners gently caress up your caloric intake by making you not react to flavors normally, but as far as giving you cancer or making you sick they're all extremely safe, or at least the ones in mass use are. I think aspartame isn't super common anymore because it tastes gross, they have better ones nowadays.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When I buy a cured sausage at the supermarket why is it tied up in a tiny rope?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Miles Blundell posted:

Aspartame is famously one of the most studied food additives ever, and it is basically harmless.

I do believe that artificial sweeteners gently caress up your caloric intake by making you not react to flavors normally, but as far as giving you cancer or making you sick they're all extremely safe, or at least the ones in mass use are. I think aspartame isn't super common anymore because it tastes gross, they have better ones nowadays.

Yeah but does that mean that it’s actually harmless or just that the associated studies have not been conclusive?

Like, COVID has got to be one of the most studied diseases but people are still huffing it back and forth forever because our Capital-captured governments have decided that it’s time for many of us to die or something.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Well, you don't want it escaping. Sausages are wily things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

YggiDee posted:

hey, don't yuck its yum

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are some studies that suggest that consuming 0-calorie sweeteners can actually increase appetite and give your body more of a craving for sugary foods, causing weight gain in the long term compared to just drinking unsweetened drinks like water or coffee/tea. (But at least it's less weight gain than sugary soft drinks.)

However, the harvard school of public health says the reasearch is inconclusive

It’s this. People who drink diet sodas will tend to have worse health than people who drink unsweetened drinks because they are less likely to crave sugar as much.

When you’re used to sweet foods, including artificially sweetened foods, you crave sweetness. When you haven’t had any for a while you lose the craving and they can even taste kind of grossly sweet at first. Artificial sweeteners keep you used to the sweetness so you end up eating more sugar than if you didn’t have sweetened drinks. But it’s still better than sugar soda.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

So I don't sound like a silly person in yelling at clouds here is an article discussing a study from 2014 that suggets artifical sweetener are not inert to human biome and causing glycemic reaction, bringing many assumptions about them under scrutiny until more research has been done.

Some opinions by a few involved:

Dr. Goran suggests avoiding all sweeteners “until we have stronger evidence that they are safe.”

Prof. Spector echoed similar thoughts:

“The study results imply that the response is variable between individuals, but that all of the sweeteners seem to have some sort of impact so, none of them seem better than others and I would personally avoid them.”

So this begins to suggest the sense of safety we previously had may need to have a pin put in it. Then there is this study published in 2021 that is concluding sweeteners have interactions with several bacteria, and has an interaction leading to an increase of E. coli and E. faecalis which can have potential for septicaemia, however this is not something that the paper concludes on as it states no studies have pursued that connection. Below is one if several interesting findings that even my layman brain learned from.

Bacteria such as E. faecalis have been shown to translocate across the intestinal wall, disseminate into the blood stream, and cause septicaemia along with congregation in the mesenteric lymph nodes, ... spleen [57,58,59]. In our present study, we demonstrate that saccharin, sucralose, and aspartame increased the ability of model gut bacteria to adhere to and invade intestinal epithelial cells, with the exception of saccharin which has no significant effect on E. coli invasion. Furthermore, we and others have previously demonstrated the negative effect of artificial sweeteners, saccharin, sucralose, and aspartame, on intestinal epithelial cell apoptosis and permeability [22,60], thus further increasing the opportunity for bacteria to traverse the gut epithelium and cause septicaemia. However, to date, no studies have been performed to study the link between consumption of artificial sweeteners correlates with incidence of septicaemia.

Mostly the findings are really just suggesting there are interactions with our gut biome we didn't know about when we hand-waved them away as entirely safe and inert to our bodies, there is another part of that second link that finds certain bacteria which respond to sweet taste are being activated via the AS or something which seems like another avenue to be researched.

The point being with all of that on top of something that is already dehydrating, acidic, high in sodium, and already an unhealthy choice it is good to be wary of consuming artifical sweeteners to simply avoid sugars. One of the doctors pointed out while they would avoid them, sugar is also know for diabetes and a slew of other diseases so 🤷

A hero arises in the distance though

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica

tuyop posted:

Yeah but does that mean that it’s actually harmless or just that the associated studies have not been conclusive?

Like, COVID has got to be one of the most studied diseases but people are still huffing it back and forth forever because our Capital-captured governments have decided that it’s time for many of us to die or something.

I mean if you want to avoid artificial sweeteners because you think they give you cancer rather than avoiding them because they might mess up your gut biome and definitely are bad for your caloric intake on a larger scale I guess the end result is the same. It's best to avoid them either way, there's just really not a lot of evidence on the cancer thing.

You'll see plenty of people who've been chugging two liters of diet coke a day for the last thirty years and while they're all morbidly obese they're certainly not dropping dead from anything other than that in large numbers.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Who is this?

This picture used to pop up here and there and I feel like it's an in joke I missed the boat on.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Miles Blundell posted:

You'll see plenty of people who've been chugging two liters of diet coke a day for the last thirty years and while they're all morbidly obese they're certainly not dropping dead from anything other than that in large numbers.

I want to clarify I'm not particularly suggesting cancer connection with my above posts, my concern from recent studies is the potential of collapsing your gut biome can deregulate mental health. Fighting obesity would be hard enough without being horribly depressed because you were under the impression you were being proactive using sweeteners.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

wash bucket posted:

Who is this?

This picture used to pop up here and there and I feel like it's an in joke I missed the boat on.

Turn your monitor on

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Faucet Drinker posted:

I want to clarify I'm not particularly suggesting cancer connection with my above posts, my concern from recent studies is the potential of collapsing your gut biome can deregulate mental health. Fighting obesity would be hard enough without being horribly depressed because you were under the impression you were being proactive using sweeteners.

there is absolutely not enough research to even come close to any of the conclusions you're making in your posts. aspartame will not give you depression by "collapsing your gut biome"

e: are you talking about the WHO classifying aspartame as "possibly carcinogenic"? it's in a lower category than red meat. the smartphone you're reading this on is in the same risk category. so are pickles.

Miles Blundell posted:

diet soda drinkers skew obese because amazingly, people use it to diet.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 16, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Turn your monitor on

I shant.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

dr pepper zero sugar tastes better than a healthy gut microbiome feels, that's all there is to it.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

there is absolutely not enough research to even come close to any of the conclusions you're making in your posts. aspartame will not give you depression by "collapsing your gut biome"

e: are you talking about the WHO classifying aspartame as "possibly carcinogenic"? it's in a lower category than red meat. the smartphone you're reading this on is in the same risk category. so are pickles.

diet soda drinkers skew obese because amazingly, people use it to diet.

What conclusions? Someone asked if diet-cola is safe, I'm just providing some recent information that seems relevant. Even the research is vague and suggesting there's more here than meets the eye but not concluding much if anything, yet this isn't an isolated focus there have been several dynamic discoveries regarding the gut. I'm not saying it'll give you cancer or make you depressed, I'm saying it is being linked to effects on the gut biome at a time we are discovering the importance the gut biome has on mental health as well as physical health. I don't give a crap what you do with that information, but I thought it was interesting so now you have it too.

I enjoy diet drinks here and there, coke zero is actually a great mix for sweet liquors like rum and some whiskey. To be honest though cause it usually just sucks and once you recognize the taste (of sweetener) its like cilantro it can't not be present in the palate.

Faucet Drinker fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 16, 2023

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Re: palate, why is that word used to describe taste when it doesn't do any tasting? Might as well say "that taste doesn't suit my gums"

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tad Naff posted:

Re: palate, why is that word used to describe taste when it doesn't do any tasting? Might as well say "that taste doesn't suit my gums"
I think of palate as usually referring to the the whole experience - taste/smell/flavour/mouthfeel, so that doesn't seem like a crazy place to locate it, central to the nose and tongue.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Don't kinkshame

Basically, it's hung to cure, and it's easier to hang it in a bit of string. It's also easier to just cut the string rather than actually removing it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Faucet Drinker posted:

I enjoy diet drinks here and there, coke zero is actually a great mix for sweet liquors like rum and some whiskey. To be honest though cause it usually just sucks and once you recognize the taste (of sweetener) its like cilantro it can't not be present in the palate.

Word. Here in UK our nanny state put a sugar tax on sweet drinks, which was intended to discourage their consumption. The vast majority of drinks manufacturers switched to using a large proportion of artificial sweeteners (stevia?) for their products, so that their delicious sales numbers would be preserved. Almost every big name fizzy drink (soda) sold here now has been reformulated in this way, with Original Coca Cola being one of a tiny set of exceptions (but obviously they have Coke Zero and Diet Coke as well as heaps of other variations. There is now often very few cans of Original Coke available compared to shitloads of Zero and Diet.)

Anyway, it sucks, because almost all of the reformulated drinks taste terrible now. Overall it's probably only a minor win for my health as I used to drink a can of one of these maybe once a month and now it's an almost never thing.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
There's nothing conclusive so far, in large part because the microbiome is an incredibly complex and dynamic group. That being said, it's probably safe to say artificial sugars are not the best thing for a healthy and diverse microbiome, and diet soda is not a healthy thing to drink. On the other hand, regular soda/sugary drinks are super bad for you, and people drink those all the time and are fine, so a bit of moderation and you should be fine.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DildenAnders posted:

There's nothing conclusive so far, in large part because the microbiome is an incredibly complex and dynamic group. That being said, it's probably safe to say artificial sugars are not the best thing for a healthy and diverse microbiome, and diet soda is not a healthy thing to drink. On the other hand, regular soda/sugary drinks are super bad for you, and people drink those all the time and are fine, so a bit of moderation and you should be fine.

There is no evidence that diet soda disrupts your gut microbiome, and even if there was, we don't understand enough about the gut to say if it would be a benefit or a detriment.

e: vv it's been answered, they won't.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 16, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

none of this discourse is answering op's actual question about whether ants will go after it. i dont think they asked whether its healthy or not.

in my experience, op, ants will go after anything sticky and sweet whether the sweetener in it is real or artificial. but i'm not an expert. i'd still keep on rinsing tho.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

That one is an easy Google away, the top several answers are they aren't attracted. Also any evidence in findings re: gut biome is tied to Artifical Sweetener, not diet soda. As stated above no conclusive evidence except that it isn't having zero effect on it (as previously thought) and needs to be researched further. I only shared this as I find it to be interesting discovery.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

wash bucket posted:

Who is this?

Not 100 percent sure of the origin, but I think it gained traction when someone posted it a lot in one of the old webcomic threads and it became a thread meme/in-joke called grossface. People would post comics with the face edited in as a joke, and I also remember one poster used to spam it as many times as the character limit would allow for some reason.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I know that that's a picture of a goon but I don't remember any details beyond that.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Two iOS questions:

For some reason my stupid phone autocorrects “I’m” to “I’d”. I have reset the dictionary and autocomplete lists to no avail. Is there something else I can try to fix this?

Secondly, is there any way for me to type “Ĭ” ( “i” with a breve) on the iPhone without installing another keyboard/language? Long-pressing i doesn’t have it among the options available

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Squibsy posted:

artificial sweeteners (stevia?)

Aside: that one's actually a plant! :eng101:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia_rebaudiana

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, you don't want it escaping. Sausages are wily things.

The sausage is a cunning bird
with feathers long and wavey

It swims about the frying pan
and makes it's nest in gravy

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FreshFeesh posted:

Two iOS questions:

For some reason my stupid phone autocorrects “I’m” to “I’d”. I have reset the dictionary and autocomplete lists to no avail. Is there something else I can try to fix this?
New version of iOS in public beta is supposed to have better autocorrect, finally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
took a picture of the little plastic figurines and such that are so unbelievably brittle that they literally feel like they will break in my hand just from a light breeze. one of them was already slightly broken when I found them. It is really hard to convey just how fragile they feel without holding them yourself. Showed them to my uncle, who used to be an antiques dealer, and he said they were "Celluloid" figures, an extremely old plastic-like polymer, the stuff used in film reels before switching to something that didn't arbitrarily burst into flame

also, found this inside an old tin toy delivery truck from my stepdad's childhood. yes, it's a pez dispenser. yes, you use it exactly how you think you would to get the pez out.

it was part of a line of "Pez Shooters" that included a variety of different colored ones, this was the only one that looked like a real gun. the other primary one was red and cream colored, so was very clearly a toy, and can be sold on ebay. this one cannot, so I might auction it off on here.

what subforum would be best for a thread where I post stuff I found at my stepdad's house? GBS? Ask/Tell? I'd just do the PMF thing like with my UPS thread, but I want to be able to ask questions from folks on the fly for identifying stuff or have people chime in with info about the random old poo poo from his place that I post.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

YggiDee posted:

It's used in the manufacturing process.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

I'm interested in making a New Jersey thread because I have a lot to say about the state, and it's a place shown in media a lot, for better and for worse, so I'd love to answer questions and show off cool and weird things here. Would that appeal to anyone, and should that go into here or PYF? I'm still relatively new here and figuring out the place!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

two fish posted:

I'm interested in making a New Jersey thread because I have a lot to say about the state, and it's a place shown in media a lot, for better and for worse, so I'd love to answer questions and show off cool and weird things here. Would that appeal to anyone, and should that go into here or PYF? I'm still relatively new here and figuring out the place!

Try "LAN: Your City Sucks", the home of city, state and regional discussions. e: Even national, for places that aren't fortunate enough to be America. :911:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

(No idea if there's already a NJ thread or if it would fall under a NYC thread or if that very idea is offensive. I'm just a midwesterner who's only vaguely aware of what the hell is going on back east.)

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 18, 2023

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

The New Jersey thread seems dead, unfortunately!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Are bath mats an unsolved problem?

I just got a fancy new one from Frontgate - the Wirecutter recommendation! - that is essentially just a small nice towel that goes on the floor. It is washable, which is important to me, but it actually is somehow more slippery than a regular towel, which is a major slip hazard.

I've tried the bath mats that have a grippy backing but they inevitably get super gross and smelly and are very hard to wash and dry thoroughly.

The Frontgate one I got recommended buying a rug gripper to go under it but I'm pretty sure that will also get disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

two fish posted:

The New Jersey thread seems dead, unfortunately!

:justpost: