Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

One day at morning muster for Deck Department on LST-1197 the Ship's Bos'm told me and another under SN to "get your poo poo out of my berthing, you work for Guns now." I didn't stick around for clarification. I met with the Chief and the two GMG1s and told them I had never shot an actual weapon before. The looks on their faces was great, so I told them that the good news was, they didn't have to teach me to unlearn any bad habbits and would do whatever I was told. I eventually qualled ship's armorer and duty GM as an E3. When my orders for STS A school came in, I got offered a CAP to GMG3 but I told them I really wanted to be an STS.

This reminded me that when I went through Boot Camp they tried to get me to shoot with an A-frame (or w/e it was called) and I barely qualified on the pistol. This was despite the fact my father was a state trooper and I had shot Weaver style my whole life. Faster forward to post-AD time and in the reserve, when I got mobilized the Puerto Rican Army NG troops didn't give a poo poo how you shot as long as you weren't and I shot expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

This reminded me that when I went through Boot Camp they tried to get me to shoot with an A-frame (or w/e it was called) and I barely qualified on the pistol. This was despite the fact my father was a state trooper and I had shot Weaver style my whole life. Faster forward to post-AD time and in the reserve, when I got mobilized the Puerto Rican Army NG troops didn't give a poo poo how you shot as long as you weren't and I shot expert.

The Navy doesn't care how you shoot after boot camp, either. In boot camp they make you shoot isosceles because it's way harder for recruits to turn and shoot a line coach.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We shot a hosed up laser tag rifle and only once lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got tackled on the line at boot camp because I swept the mag release on accident and auto inserted a new mag instead of bumbling around or trying to pick up my mag.
After angry shouting and the bear hug I talked it out with the range master (8 years carrying a Sig at work) and he let me shoot again. We ended up chatting about service pistols for a bit.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We didn't shoot anything in boot camp in 91.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

We didn't shoot anything in boot camp in 91.

When I went through in 97 we just shot the laser tag because something about them redoing the range.

It was kinda bullshit because you only got one chance for a medal and they just handed you this toy and said have at it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Same but we still marched with the M16 and had to disassemble and clean it.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Don't mention disassembling guns. You know who will get summoned.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elviscat posted:

Yep, two different Letters of Instruction, one for smacking a pier with the boat* and one for covering up a bed-bug infestation that made national news.

*in a twist of fate, this ended up with EB accidentally destroying the spare 21 class sonar dome, and getting a head start tooling up to make a new one, which should be a big help in repairing the 22.

RE: jobs, a lot of the mythical "6 figgie" jobs you can walk right into as a nuke kinda suck, I haven't heard anything more positive than "it pays well" and "it's better than the Navy!" From guys that go into civilian nuke jobs or data center operations, I would 100% suggest any nuke getting out puts that GI bill to use on a college degree if able.

I didn't do that, but I lucked out big time, I absolutely love the job I got right after I got out, it's in a completely different field. I usually work <50 hours a week and get almost every (3 day!) weekend off, and if I work more, I'm well compensated for my time. I took a decade of experience trying desperately to keep my guys from getting hosed every single day and applied that to being a manager, and it's made me extremely popular with the dudes that work for me (per anonymous employee satisfaction survey). When I travel, I have friends in almost every state in the country who I can grab drinks with, catch up, and get shown around. Life's great

That is lovely to hear. Congratulations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
we shot a really lame 1911 chambered in .22, 4 rounds iirc in that really odd firing stance in 1994 boot

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proust Malone posted:

Same but we still marched with the M16 and had to disassemble and clean it.

We didn’t even get that!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I shot the M9, I kept having issues with it misfiring, found out my thumb was pushing the magazine release when I was pulling the trigger, like, the third time I qualified.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That is lovely to hear. Congratulations.

Thanks!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ded posted:

we shot a really lame 1911 chambered in .22, 4 rounds iirc in that really odd firing stance in 1994 boot

Ditto, '86.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

In 2014 we did real 9mm beretta and shotgun simulation air gun thingy.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Crab Dad posted:

In 2014 we did real 9mm beretta and shotgun simulation air gun thingy.

Same. I shot Expert my first time holding a real gun. Time Crisis transfers!

I'm garbage with rifle though.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
We go M9, M14, and M500. It took me a minute to realize I couldn't see my shots cause I was getting old and needed glasses.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

lightpole posted:

We go M9, M14, and M500. It took me a minute to realize I couldn't see my shots cause I was getting old and needed glasses.

You shouldn't be focusing on the target, anyway. Particularly with a pistol using iron sights. I have an astigmatism and can't see anything clearly past the 10 yard mark, but I don't wear glasses at all when I shoot because all you need are the sights and a vague outline of the target downrange.

Also, I didn't think we had anyone who went to basic before 1995. loving lol.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

AlternateNu posted:

You shouldn't be focusing on the target, anyway. Particularly with a pistol using iron sights. I have an astigmatism and can't see anything clearly past the 10 yard mark, but I don't wear glasses at all when I shoot because all you need are the sights and a vague outline of the target downrange.

Yeah thats how I qualified, didn't really need to see anything but I had no idea where my shots went.

This is MSC qualification so entirely different, I don't think its changed for decades.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

AlternateNu posted:

You can gently caress right off my lawn, boot

:)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have a few minutes to spare so here's my man overboard story:

As I established, my office was in Officer's country on the O-2 level (I think). The main thing here is that it was on the same level as the boat deck. The Deck Department Head's office was on the same level, back aft. He had to walk through the passageway my office was in to get to the rest of O Country. Therefore it was super easy for him one night to knock on my door on his way to the bridge and say, "Flyinglemur, you're the man overboard tonight." I didn't have a lot of repoire built with this particular guy so I told him "Sir....I'm not a very good swimmer and would prefer not to be." He then told me that all I had to do when MO was called away was to go to the XO's office and wait for my name to be called on the 1MC. I'd seen how the bridge team handled these things and was grateful that it was just simulated.

MO gets called away so I head up the one level to the XO office. I'm there with two junior sailors, whose names get called right away. So there I sit. Time passes.

Still sitting.

1MC: "All departments remuster and report muster status to the bridge."

Still nothing. I'd say 10 minutes have elapsed at this point.

1MC: "This is the Executive Officer. ADMIN DEPARTMENT REDO YOUR MUSTER AND REPORT THE STATUS TO THE BRIDGE. NOW."

"Oh poo poo," I think to myself, "someone that isn't me is in trouble about this". A moment later they call my name, to report to my muster station. I head down the 4 levels or so to where the admin office is. There are maybe 40-50 people in our department and they are all staring death at me, from E6 all the way down to E-I owe you 1. In the back of the admin space is PN1 Chucklefuck. He is the department LPO even though I have much more time in rank and service. This is fine with me, I didn't need to pad my stats for Chief since I knew I wasn't going to make it.

"Petty Officer Lemur," he says in his best LPO voice, "DIVO and DEPT Head want to see you in the office NOW." I shrugged and said ok and went into the office. There was the dept head that I knew didn't like me along with the warrant officer who also didn't like me. The two of them got along very well and I have a feeling that it was because they had a lot in common that they didn't have in common with the rest of the wardroom. So neither of them was a fan of old Flyinglemur. Dept head is staring at me with his nostrils flaring and the divo barked "WHERE WERE YOU? DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS WHEN MAN OVERBOARD IS CALLED AWAY?"

I said, "yes sir. I was the man overboard."

Crickets.

"Tell PN1 Chucklefuck to come in here." I said ok and left the office. Everyone was still staring at me and I said, "Hey Chuck they want to see you." About that time the drill was secured and I went back up to my office to finish my game of Need 4 Speed paperwork. One of my buddies that worked in the Admin office said it got very loud in the back office.

Later on, PN1 apologized to me and sheepishly said, "I honestly thought I counted you here." I told him it was ok, I wasn't mad about it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

We float-tested a chart-sized Vidmar cabinet off the boat once and it made such a huge splash the captain came running out to the bridgewing and sees us all standing at tha rail looking guilty as gently caress and he's like "Was that a person!?" "No" "Why do you all look guilty?" and my BM1 at the time went "Sir do you really want an answer to that question, liability wise?" the CO said "Good point" and went inside.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I miss throwing metal over the side and watching the splash. Best thing ever.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I chucked so many file cabinets into the ocean it was amazing. Chuck some heavy steel poo poo in the bottom so they sink quick and away they gooo

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

We float-tested a chart-sized Vidmar cabinet off the boat once and it made such a huge splash the captain came running out to the bridgewing and sees us all standing at tha rail looking guilty as gently caress and he's like "Was that a person!?" "No" "Why do you all look guilty?" and my BM1 at the time went "Sir do you really want an answer to that question, liability wise?" the CO said "Good point" and went inside.

Lol perfect for the mantra of never ask questions you don't know the answer to or don't want to know the answer to

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

Lol perfect for the mantra of never ask questions you don't know the answer to or don't want to know the answer to

This also works the opposite way when you get an order to illegally dump waste oil or similar poo poo overboard from the skipper. "I'll get right on that, as soon as I get a signed order".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We one unloaded steel products in the southern US and because of a paperwork gently caress up customs wouldn’t let us land the dunnage. So we had a deck load of wood - four by fours, two by fours, wedges, you name it.

This was back when you were still allowed to dispose of some trash overboard, so as soon as we cleared the Caribbean special area, out it went. By hand. For six solid hours.

We basically laid an 80 miles boardwalk in the Atlantic that you could have loving walked on.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Have I told the one about where my Navy GWOT Jack came from?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elendil004 posted:

Have I told the one about where my Navy GWOT Jack came from?

I would love to hear about it

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

As I typed this out, it's not a very long story but still.

We were moored up alongside The Sullivans in Mayport, for a few weeks for a bunch of inspections. My workspace was up between the stacks on my cutter, and it lined up pretty much a half deck up above the focsle on The Sullivans. One night, right before colors, I was standing out there with some folks and I was like "I want a Naval Jack" cause they look cool, you know, the snake and stuff. So someone was like, well, there's one right there. So I hopped over, ran up, slid it down the jackstaff, pocketed it, and jumped back aboard right before their watchstander walked up and looked confused as there was nothing to take down. He kinda stood there for 5 minutes and went inside and I have my rightfully taken prize.

I can't really display it anymore because chuds, which is a shame because just like the german flag my grandfather brought back from the war, it'll attract the wrong kind of people.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I still can't believe how long Eng Dept on my first boat got away with wearing fake DTOM patches that said "no step on snek" instead. Must've been a whole 6 months.

In Flyinglemur's story, that's a pretty gentle way to learn not to gently caress up muster reports. One of my Chiefs while I was at NPTU as a SPU reported all present and accounted for while they were trying to figure out who (CW: Suicide) had set themselves on fire in their garage it was one of our students, and that chief delayed identifying the body for awhile, ended up fired as LCC and bumped to a billet normally held by a first class.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Two memorable man overboards:

1. Went on for 45 minutes calling for the strike group CMC who was sleeping peacefully in his rack with noise canceling headphones.

2. Spent 20 minutes calling for half a dozen guys from the HSC squadron, who were a mix of rates and ranks that sounded a lot like the man-up crew for launching the alert SAR helo during a man overboard. Which is exactly what they were.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
When I was in Repair Dept before I was DAPA, we had two MOs called at 2 AM or so on back to back nights. The first one was someone float testing some furniture without letting the lookout know and the second one was some jackass that threw a dye marker overboard in the middle of the night.

During the second night's muster I said to my skimmer buddies, "you can say a lot of things about sub duty, but no one mysteriously goes overboard at 2 in the loving morning."

A few of the female sailors in our division came to muster in their onesie pajamas and I thought that was pretty cool. Fake edit: not in a creepy way, I just wasn't expecting it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Elendil004 posted:

As I typed this out, it's not a very long story but still.

We were moored up alongside The Sullivans in Mayport, for a few weeks for a bunch of inspections. My workspace was up between the stacks on my cutter, and it lined up pretty much a half deck up above the focsle on The Sullivans. One night, right before colors, I was standing out there with some folks and I was like "I want a Naval Jack" cause they look cool, you know, the snake and stuff. So someone was like, well, there's one right there. So I hopped over, ran up, slid it down the jackstaff, pocketed it, and jumped back aboard right before their watchstander walked up and looked confused as there was nothing to take down. He kinda stood there for 5 minutes and went inside and I have my rightfully taken prize.

I can't really display it anymore because chuds, which is a shame because just like the german flag my grandfather brought back from the war, it'll attract the wrong kind of people.

If it makes you feel better, chuds fly the yellow Gadsden Flag. I think hanging up a naval jack is ok.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Flyinglemur posted:

During the second night's muster I said to my skimmer buddies, "you can say a lot of things about sub duty, but no one mysteriously goes overboard at 2 in the loving morning."

Fun fact, falling off the side of the sail is considered a "man overboard" for incident reporting purposes on subs even if you're in a harness and never touch the water.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nick Soapdish posted:

never ask questions you don't want to know the answer to

Words of wisdom.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Cerekk posted:

Fun fact, falling off the side of the sail is considered a "man overboard" for incident reporting purposes on subs even if you're in a harness and never touch the water.

I may have mentioned something about "at 500 feet" or something among that livesnow that you mention this. I'm old as balls and manage to gently caress up my own sea stories.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The only actual man overboard I ever saw was a 300lb radioman who I helped fish out of the Thames on Christmas Day, gently caress that looked cold.

He had about 10 too many beers at the Minx (ex Gold Club) the night before, hit the end of the brow and kept walking.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
We had a man overboard on my sub. We were practicing unassisted landings in Pearl and one of the linesmen snapped. Pulled the inflate on his vest, then just ran and jumped into the water. Apparently he back-stroked half way to the pier, then gave two middle fingers to the sail, where the captain was, and screamed, "gently caress you guys I tap!" Made it to the pier and climbed up the ladder. We went back out to sea, and he went to mast with the Commodore. They sent him back to our boat to finish out his restriction when we pulled in a couple weeks later. This was towards the end of a one year period where we had between 20-25 people tap out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Had a bosn jump off the main deck of a car carrier when he lost it. Not pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My old man was chief mate when the skipper decided to go swimming in the middle of a transit. They never found him, and his family (mostly the widow) thought my old man was involved somehow :psyduck: