Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

is that just a random chance when something drops or do you ahve to add something to an existing weapon?

you have to pay money for them in some way, either by unlocking crates or doing MVM, you're not gonna just get one

there's weapons that come as strange, and there's also strangeifiers that you can add to existing weapons(including stuff that is like, vintage or whatever if you want to keep that quality and get stat tracking) but you always need to pay money for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Thumbtacks posted:

is that just a random chance when something drops or do you ahve to add something to an existing weapon?

There's different types. Some of them drop from the microtransaction crates. You can also get a stat clock from somewhere and apply it to some warpaint (read: skins) weapons. In either case they don't drop naturally. I am personally not any good at playing the weird little economy so I usually just trade metal for stranges.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also not every weapon or weapon reskin has a Strange variant(for example none of the weapons introduced during Jungle Inferno have Strange variants) and some are more valuable than others(for example a Strange stock Rocket Launcher is pretty cheap due to how common they are, but a Strange The Original is going to be on the pricey side due to being relatively rare and also being highly desired)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's no longer an unconditional stunlock in the same direction every time. You have to aim it. Aim straight down to blast people up into the air... for some reason.

As a person whose most developed strange weapon is the backburner, I treat the airblast cost as a reminder to not try to pick straight-up 1v1s. If you're using your airblast defensively, you already hosed up and need to disengage.

I'm also a big backburner guy and you're using the airblast either to close space or to cover an escape, or to get a sick fuckin reflect kill (this always takes precedent over everything else). I loathe pyros that use the basic flamethrower or the degreaser and do nothing but spam airblast, totally wasting your class's potential

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I see. I'll figure it out eventually, I suppose. Honestly still trying to remember how to play and what classes I enjoy, but I'm getting back into it a bit.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
there's definitely some weird ways to interact with turrets and some equipment that seems interesting, will need to mess with it more. i know in overwatch you can kinda play an offensive torb style, not sure how well offense engineer works but i imagine if you're good enough at it you can be a real pest

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you're playing kinda normalentire style on offense the biggest things to do are getting a tele up and putting a dispenser somewhere your team can regroup for a push. The sentry is really just there too protect those buildings.

The other form of "offensive engineer" is to be aggressive with sentry placement. It's exciting but not always effective, and you have to approach it knowing your sentry will not last long. Gunslinger is an easy way to do that, it doesn't do crazy damage but against a single enemy it can often catch them off-guard enough that they need to decide whether to go after the sentry or you, and whichever one they choose they will also likely die.

If you're feeling really spicy you can do this with a level 2 regular sentry, it's tough, does a ton of damage (especially against single targets) and deploys much faster than a level 3.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Thumbtacks posted:

there's definitely some weird ways to interact with turrets and some equipment that seems interesting, will need to mess with it more. i know in overwatch you can kinda play an offensive torb style, not sure how well offense engineer works but i imagine if you're good enough at it you can be a real pest

It works pretty well. Engineer's my #2 class (pyro #1.) Lately I have been using rescue ranger, pistol, and Jag on offense. I mostly stick to level 1s and maybe 2s if I can find the metal. Level 3 takes too long to redeploy. Keep moving the sentry up and around, heal it from range, and add damage with the pistol.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Thumbtacks posted:

If you want a really good breakdown on how to play 'offensive defensive' proactive Engineer (usually called 'Battle Engi'), Uncle Dane did a pretty thorough video essay about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c977-5lBJu4

It'd be exaggerating to say that UD single-handedly kept the playerbase alive with his community servers at the height of the bot crisis, but he played a significant part.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 16, 2023

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
wow i forgot about uncle dane, this is perfect. will watch this now and see how it goes. actively resisting the urge to buy a bunch of cosmetics

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Well I'm playing this again. Are most people on uncletopia these days?

Someone get Hadlock to remake the LCs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bfgoons.com TF2goons.com is available

I am broke at the moment but if we can raise $99 (that would pay for ~3 months of server time) I'll put together an Atlantis + Lemuria private server thing sunday night and manually whitelist the first 100 people

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I think I played Engineer more than anything else, just for the sheer utility of getting people to the front line faster and securing the area you take.

So the patch added a handful of new maps? I see people talk about TF2 again for whatever reason, did it do anything more? I'm happy to see some life breathed into this again.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The Goon Fortress 2 Discord is fairly quiet, but open to anyone wanting to arrange some TF2 events!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Thumbtacks posted:

wow i forgot about uncle dane, this is perfect. will watch this now and see how it goes. actively resisting the urge to buy a bunch of cosmetics

As posted upthread, $2.50 in refined metal gets you dozens of hats on scrap.tf. Go wild.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Aeble posted:

So the patch added a handful of new maps? I see people talk about TF2 again for whatever reason, did it do anything more? I'm happy to see some life breathed into this again.
A solid handful of new maps, more new cosmetics (surprise, Valve did the thing that makes Valve money!), and Versus Saxton Hale is now an officially-supported game mode.

Edit: That last one probably needs "supported" in heavy air quotes, all four of the VSH maps are horrendously buggy.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 16, 2023

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i feel like i *should* play engineer because it's fun, but

the flames

the flames call to me

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
why is it that when you complete an objective for a star sometimes you just don't get it even when it says +1 star? very annoying

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

Hadlock posted:

bfgoons.com TF2goons.com is available

I am broke at the moment but if we can raise $99 (that would pay for ~3 months of server time) I'll put together an Atlantis + Lemuria private server thing sunday night and manually whitelist the first 100 people

legendary Known Hat Scammer hadlock at it again...

serveme.tf has servers you can temporarily rent for a few hours at a time for free and even schedule blocks of time you want specific servers

So if you wanted to do a few trial runs of a LLJKg0on tf2 communityserver that might be good FREE start for planned events that you could get going ASAP

I also have a lifetime na.serveme.tf premium account and would be happy to lend you an extended Premium Server Rental with rcon, custom map uploads, etc just yell at me on steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/Warpy/

Thumbtacks posted:

why is it that when you complete an objective for a star sometimes you just don't get it even when it says +1 star? very annoying

you have to finish the round before it's actually completed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha hell yes, Star_ is streaming the game right now. According to steam charts a quarter of a million people played this week. TF2 lives again!

Dieting Hippo posted:

The Goon Fortress 2 Discord is fairly quiet, but open to anyone wanting to arrange some TF2 events!

Definitely joining this to squad up.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 17, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i play on the uncletopia east coast servers most nights still

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Haha hell yes, Star_ is streaming the game right now. According to steam charts a quarter of a million people played this week. TF2 lives again!

Hit it’s all time peak this last week, apparently.

The only downside to the servers is that I can’t work on contracts on them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

the funny thing is that the update didn't even really do anything, a bunch of people were just waiting for an excuse to start playing again

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
am I understanding weapons correctly? you can't get strange weapons without a box, so the best option is probably to get it off the marketplace, and they can come with any random stat tracker so i need to confirm and see which stat i want tracked on the gun i'm buying, and also the level/rarity is random and irrelevant unless i want to spend money for status, and also they can come with skins and unusual effects? how many of those can i actually control?

like say i wanted a degreaser that can track number of enemies killed or set on fire or something, and i want it with a fun effect and a specific skin. do i need to look for that exact combination, or buy like a degreaser that tracks kills + a skin + a way to add the unusual effect?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every strange tracks kills (except for mediguns that count ubers instead), if you want to track other stats then you need a stat clock to attach to it.

approximately nobody is selling stranges with pre-attached clocks so don't really bother looking, just get the stat clock you want separately

if you want a weapon skin on your kill-counting weapon then instead of a "vanilla" strange weapon, you need to look for strange war paint to create that weapon (or for someone selling that particular strange skin directly). you can't take a vanilla strange weapon and add a skin, nor can you take a skinned weapon and make it strange.

if you want to add killstreak counting with other visual effects then you need to get a specialized (coloured sheen when you have a killstreak) or professional (same coloured sheen, plus an effect for your character's eyes) killstreak kit for that weapon

i think that's it, but i could easily have gotten something wrong because it's not particularly simple.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 17, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
oh yeah and if you want any sort of fun novelties like shooting out pumpkins instead of rockets during halloween ... you can't, they removed the ability to do that. you'd have to trade for one of the limited supply of existing items that have that effect.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I see. I think I saw someone yesterday with a flamethrower with a skin, kill tracker, and it looked like it was snowing? I assume that was approximately $800

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I do wonder why they haven't reintroduced the Halloween item spells in some manner or another, should be easy enough to do even with how few people work on the game these days

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warpy posted:

legendary Known Hat Scammer hadlock at it again...

:monocle: I take offense at this sir, please retract any such statements

I'd rather just run an aws instance than deal with three layers of tech support, as a goon I rarely shower leave the house so can resolve issues directly as they come up :colbert:

Once everything is setup in AWS with a VIP (so the server ranking info stays the same)I can just mothball the server/config and restart it again (Christmas holidays, covid2, etc) without much effort. I can see a scenario where the server(s) are online for 2-3 weeks per quarter, with some set in stone Highlander matches everyone can count on. There's enough technical knowledge here we don't need to outsource to xyz hosting company

If you ever played stabbytown on cs:source, that was my server. Not going to talk about battlefield here

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Geight posted:

CP_Steel was updated pretty substantially, it's going to be interesting to see how it plays now

15 years of new weapons and meta have an affect on old garbage. It needed a spring clean.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

oh yeah and if you want any sort of fun novelties like shooting out pumpkins instead of rockets during halloween ... you can't, they removed the ability to do that. you'd have to trade for one of the limited supply of existing items that have that effect.

that part in particular sucks because i'm pretty sure i had a green fire flamethrower and traded it for something inconsequential back when there were a thousand of them, god knows what that would be worth now

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

drrockso20 posted:

I do wonder why they haven't reintroduced the Halloween item spells in some manner or another, should be easy enough to do even with how few people work on the game these days

They seem to consider the in game economy at least partially with decisions like that and if they ever brought back the old spells it would wreck absolute chaos (amusing chaos, but still).

I did hear somewhere that spells were very taxing on the game's stability so it probably wasn't the best idea in the first place and explains why they dropped them after only 2 years.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 18, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Fishbus posted:

15 years of new weapons and meta have an affect on old garbage. It needed a spring clean.

The changes look good! I'm interested to see if highlander leagues start using this new version or if they stick with what they know.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Geight posted:

The changes look good! I'm interested to see if highlander leagues start using this new version or if they stick with what they know.

I went in with the thought that they will not, despite fixing most of their gripes. Because they have this odd quirk where if it isn't exactly what they play now, then they won't care. Fixes were both for pubs and comp, since putting some effort into alleviating spawn camping will do a lot of good things to casual players. I didn't do 100% of what they asked because a lot of the 'fixes' were really just making Solider/Demos better and disguising it under 'bugs'.

It'll be good if they did, but it's such an ingrained pattern I will not be sad nor surprised if they don't.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 19, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
If nothing else, that one-way door you put on red spawn at A is going to ensure your entry to the gates of Heaven, no matter what the comp players decide.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

can I still stand on the barrel and put a pistol bullet into it and then somehow phase into it

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

resistentialism posted:

can I still stand on the barrel and put a pistol bullet into it and then somehow phase into it

Yes, and now you can do it with 2 barrels

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Geight posted:

If nothing else, that one-way door you put on red spawn at A is going to ensure your entry to the gates of Heaven, no matter what the comp players decide.

For sure, it was needed.

What is comp gonna do about it? Not defend A? lol

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fishbus posted:

I went in with the thought that they will not, despite fixing most of their gripes. Because they have this odd quirk where if it isn't exactly what they play now, then they won't care. Fixes were both for pubs and comp, since putting some effort into alleviating spawn camping will do a lot of good things to casual players. I didn't do 100% of what they asked because a lot of the 'fixes' were really just making Solider/Demos better and disguising it under 'bugs'.

It'll be good if they did, but it's such an ingrained pattern I will not be sad nor surprised if they don't.

new_cp_steel_pro_v2_final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

new_cp_steel_pro_v2_final

.ppt