Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kenning posted:

Trade registered for Day 7. According to tradition, you ensured he got his first loss of the basho.

My brand of sumo is nothing if not consistently disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I think this is my best first week thus far. Looking forward to tanking in week 2!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The flex by Hoshoryu after that was sick. Let 'em know!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

net work error posted:

The flex by Hoshoryu after that was sick. Let 'em know!

i used to think it was unusual that rikishi were expected to behave a certain way in victory and defeat. It's so weird to see a guy win a tough match and not even a fist bump for some fans as he strolls back to the locker room. I didn't dislike it though. And truly it makes when rikishi briefly act like humans all the more impactful. obvious examples are the hakuho roar and tokoshoryu winning the cup, clearly makes one last valiant attempt not to cry, and then just does. no shade from anyone. it's cool.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Marching Powder posted:

i used to think it was unusual that rikishi were expected to behave a certain way in victory and defeat. It's so weird to see a guy win a tough match and not even a fist bump for some fans as he strolls back to the locker room. I didn't dislike it though. And truly it makes when rikishi briefly act like humans all the more impactful. obvious examples are the hakuho roar and tokoshoryu winning the cup, clearly makes one last valiant attempt not to cry, and then just does. no shade from anyone. it's cool.

Agreed. As much as I chafe at all the doddering old men whinging about the dignity of sumo, I think the sport would suffer from a complete loss of these cultural pressures. Like you say, it's rad as hell when somebody does actually show humanity specifically because you're not supposed to. So even if it seems ridiculous for them to chide Hakuho for roaring it's also kind of a necessary performative to make sure we aren't getting endzone dances after every victory.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lucasar posted:

Agreed. As much as I chafe at all the doddering old men whinging about the dignity of sumo, I think the sport would suffer from a complete loss of these cultural pressures. Like you say, it's rad as hell when somebody does actually show humanity specifically because you're not supposed to. So even if it seems ridiculous for them to chide Hakuho for roaring it's also kind of a necessary performative to make sure we aren't getting endzone dances after every victory.

naturally i agree with everything here but if i can make a weird compliment i really like how concise this post is. way better at explaining why breaking protocol is frowned upon, why it rules when rikisihi do breach protocol, and why it also rules that while they criticise it, they ultimate allow it. so we can see more - but only when appropriate.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

watching this basho it is becoming apparent to me that Onosho has a tell where he crosses his hands and then touches them down a second later with very consistent timing

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.nikkansports.com/m/battle/sumo/news/202307160000191_m.html

Asanoyama kyujo, left bicep injury.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Not sure if this is eligible given we're edging into day 8 but I'd like to trade Asanoyama for Tobizaru

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Given that Asanoyama is kyujo, and that I think (?) we still have a little bit of time left to trade:

I would like to trade Asanoyama for Ura if this is still possible. If, being this close to the edge, I need to stick to my selections, then Hiradoumi shall be my hero.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I will not trade away Asanoyama and instead hope he heals swiftly and completely and if it takes until the next basho for that to happen so be it.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

I'd like to trade Asanoyama for Tobizaru.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Following along, I would please like to trade Asanoyama for Ura, who was next on my draft list.

If not I will gently carry my bad boy stallion onwards.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I'll trade Asanoyama for Nishikigi, Tobizaru, or Meisei, in that order of preference.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'll trade Asanoyama for either of my other two picks, Nishikigi or Ura.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Would like to trade Asanoyama for Nishikigi, Tobizaru, or Ura.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Goddammit, I'm gonna take Nishikigi. I was hoping to see Asanoyama in san'yaku next basho.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'd like to trade for Nishikigi too please, if possible.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Man my entire lineup just ate poo poo two days in a row.

My ozeki run. :(

Trading Asanoyama from Nishkigi or Ura please.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Requesting to trade Asanoyama for Nishikigi/Tobizaru/Meisei in order of preference/availability.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 8:

Midorifuji vs Kirishima, what an odyssey. I figured zabuton-flinging was reserved for kinboshi. When looking it up on wikipedia I found that "In sumo, members of the audience throw zabuton toward the ring after a yokozuna is defeated by a lower-ranked wrestler, as a way of heckling the defeated wrestler". I always figured it was just a celebratory move, not a heckling one. The more you know.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if it's possible to trade i will trade asanoyama for nishikigi, tobizaru, or ura in that order

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
I'll trade Asanoyama for my next two in order from my draft if possible:
Nishikigi
Ura

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
In recognition of Nishikigi's excellent Basho I dug up this old newsletter from when he got married 5 or so years ago. It gives some insight into his personality and is pretty funny. Credit, as always, to Kintamayama for his coverage and translations.

Kintamayama's newsletter from October 2018 posted:

Nishikigi is marrying a woman seven years his elder and quite tall- 1.70 meters. They registered on September 25th. They have been going out for six and a half years. She came to a heya party and caught his eye. They dated, visiting amusement parks and the aquarium thingy. "I would like us to gambarize together from here on. I will aim for Yokozuna, just like every other rikishi.." he said. He proposed to her this year on Valentine's Day. He held the press conference alone and did not bring a picture of her. "She is adamant to be left out of the limelight.." he explainerd. After being badgered by the press for a photo, he decided to consult with her. After 30 minutes of emails, she still did not allow it. She calls him "Mr. Bear" and "Grandpa" and cooks well. "Everything she makes is tasty. I decided to marry her since she has been very supportive and since I met her I have reached sekitorihood. I was able to gambarize with her around," he added. He is in a position to face the Yokozunae this coming basho. "I'm aiming for a kinboshi. I'd like to surprise the joi rikishi with my efforts and show them that I have become stronger.." he added more. When he proposed, he gave her a necklace instead of a ring. "I didn't know her ring size.. It wasn't a terribly expensive one" he muttered, but did buy her a ring in the end. She is not pregnant. "We are not planning on kids at the moment but I'd like to have them eventually. When that happens I'd like him to play baseball. Sumo is a scary sport with major injuries," he added even further.

This was one of the strangest rikishi marriage press conference ever..

With a portrait of Momoko-san:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I would like to trade Asanoyama for Tobizaru or Nishkigi, please.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 16, 2023

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Lucasar posted:

Like you say, it's rad as hell when somebody does actually show humanity specifically because you're not supposed to.

Just getting caught up and Hoshoryu's celebratory trap flex after throwing Asanoyama to the ground was a great moment - a win that's a big step in getting his rope, plus beating a former Ozeki in that fashion was hype as gently caress and I'm glad to see it come out a bit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit late thanks to being in work and the U.K. but can I trade Asanoyama for Ura?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Midorifuji vs Kirishima was a heck of a bout

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Medenmath posted:

Midorifuji vs Kirishima was a heck of a bout

It was memorable for sure...
I've never seen a gyoji get that flustered. As good as the actual bout was I'll forever remember it as the time a yobidashi had to enter the dohyo to help an old man tie a belt.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Fearless posted:

I will not trade away Asanoyama and instead hope he heals swiftly and completely and if it takes until the next basho for that to happen so be it.

Your hinkaku has been noted and is appreciated.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Not sure if this is eligible given we're edging into day 8 but I'd like to trade Asanoyama for Tobizaru

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I would like to trade Asanoyama for Ura if this is still possible. If, being this close to the edge, I need to stick to my selections, then Hiradoumi shall be my hero.

Akiosan posted:

I'd like to trade Asanoyama for Tobizaru.

NTRabbit posted:

Following along, I would please like to trade Asanoyama for Ura, who was next on my draft list.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I'll trade Asanoyama for Nishikigi, Tobizaru, or Meisei, in that order of preference.

Teddybear posted:

I'll trade Asanoyama for either of my other two picks, Nishikigi or Ura.

Khizan posted:

Would like to trade Asanoyama for Nishikigi, Tobizaru, or Ura.

Kenning posted:

Goddammit, I'm gonna take Nishikigi. I was hoping to see Asanoyama in san'yaku next basho.

Average Lettuce posted:

I'd like to trade for Nishikigi too please, if possible.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Trading Asanoyama from Nishkigi or Ura please.

anakha posted:

Requesting to trade Asanoyama for Nishikigi/Tobizaru/Meisei in order of preference/availability.

All of these trades were entered before the start of Day 8, so were registered for Day 8. Per the Extremely fine-grained kyujo auto-trading rules, everyone else holding Asanoyama get their replacements traded down their initial draft wire, which will be registered from Day 9. That means the following people get the following replacements:

bessantj - Ura
Dead Goon - Meisei
Eli949 - Nishikigi
Iron Chef Nex - Nishikigi
Nativity In Black - Shodai
Netsky - Tobizaru
Octatonic - Ura
Samuel L. Hacksaw - Ura
Thauros - Ura

Whew. After all of that admin, I'm still on the Nishikigi yusho train.

QuasiQuack posted:

It was memorable for sure...
I've never seen a gyoji get that flustered. As good as the actual bout was I'll forever remember it as the time a yobidashi had to enter the dohyo to help an old man tie a belt.

At this rate we're never gonna have a new Kimura Shonosuke, since apparently once you reach Shikimori Inosuke you just start floundering around. We haven't had a Kimura Shonosuke since 2015!

Day 8 standings

Makuuchi
code:
25.5	Brut
24.5	Fluffdaddy
24.5	NuclearPotato
24.5	Pakled
23.5	Charles Gnarwin
23.5	Eli949
23.5	Mode 7
23.5	Vargatron
23	Khizan
23	Teddybear
22.5	GoatSeeGuy
22.5	Iron Chef Nex
22.5	MyChemicalImbalance
22.5	Thauros
22	Akiosan
22	Kenning
21.5	Banana Canada
21.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
21.5	Kuros
21.5	Marching Powder
21.5	whats for dinner
21	Ice Phisherman
21	Saturnine Aberrance
21	Tiny Bug Child
20.5	bessantj
20.5	Netsky
20.5	pseudodragon
20.5	Tochiazuma
20	anakha
19.5	Helianthus Annuus
19.5	Lid
19	Robviously
18.5	bartolimu
17.5	Communist Thoughts
15.5	LlamaTrauma
Juryo
code:
28.5	FART BOSS
28.5	rare Magic card l00k
24.5	Crusty Nutsack
24	Average Lettuce
23.5	Bentai
23.5	Chinook
23.5	Xerzes
23	NTRabbit
22.5	Fearless
22.5	Nativity In Black
22.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
22.5	Single Tight Female
22	Ben Nerevarine
21.5	Dead Goon
21.5	Eldoop
20.5	Boogalo
20.5	Takuan
19.5	Gaghskull
19.5	Log082
19.5	Octatonic
19.5	oldskool
19.5	PJ
19.5	QuasiQuack
19.5	ratmosphere
18.5	ImplicitAssembler
17.5	Medenmath
Incredible battle going on down in juryo, where shin-sekitori FART BOSS and veteran rare Magic card l00k are battling it out with two very similar teams. Both have Daieisho and Nishikigi for S/K and M1-5, but chose different veterans for M6-10 (Tamawashi and Takayasu, respectively), and different rookies for M11+ (Shonannoumi and Hakuoho). Very exciting!

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Well dang I never expected to be doing this well eight days into my first basho. Whether or not I remain at the top, I'll forever be a Nishikigi fan. Gotta stock up on sweet potato shochu...

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hey Kenning, which guy did I get as a replacement? I wasn't listed. Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh sorry, you got Nishikigi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Same here, Kenning - who did I get for Day 8?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I looked up and your trade requests were both quoted in my post! Everyone who posted before the start of Day 8 got their requested rikishi for day 8, while anyone else got the next pick on their draft for day 9. I only listed the latter category as a list, the former had their posts quoted. You got Nishikigi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Got it - I assumed you were gonna explicitly include all the requestors in your goon-rikishi list. Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Beexoffel posted:

I'm late again - I should keep up better with the thread.
If there is still room on the scores list, I would like to enter the following rikishi to be my champions:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Good thing ive only watched (and forgotten) day 1 so far and know no results!

Looking back, I realize I forgot to add you two to the list. Beexoffel is in from Day 3, Jobbo_Fett is in from Day 4.

Beexoffel

Y/O: Kirishima
S/K: Abi
M1-5: Onosho
M6-10: Kinbozan
M11+: Kotoeko

Jobbo_Fett

Y/O: Kirishima
S/K: Kotonowaka
M1-5: Tobizaru
M6-10: Takayasu
M11+: Kotoeko

I'm still fully in on Nishikigi yusho, although Hoshoryu is in full Hot Guy Sumo mode and I'm loving it.

Day 9 standings

Makuuchi
code:
30.5	Brut
28.5	Fluffdaddy
27.5	GoatSeeGuy
27.5	Mode 7
27.5	NuclearPotato
27.5	Pakled
27.5	Vargatron
27	Eli949
27	Khizan
27	Teddybear
26.5	Charles Gnarwin
26.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
26.5	MyChemicalImbalance
26	Iron Chef Nex
25.5	Banana Canada
25.5	Marching Powder
25	anakha
25	Kenning
24.5	Kuros
24.5	whats for dinner
24	Akiosan
24	Ice Phisherman
24	Thauros
24	Tiny Bug Child
23.5	Helianthus Annuus
23.5	Lid
23.5	Tochiazuma
23	Netsky
23	pseudodragon
23	Saturnine Aberrance
22	Robviously
21.5	bartolimu
20.5	Communist Thoughts
19	bessantj
18.5	LlamaTrauma
14	Jobbo_Fett
Juryo
code:
33.5	FART BOSS
32.5	rare Magic card l00k
29.5	Crusty Nutsack
28.5	Chinook
28	Average Lettuce
26.5	Single Tight Female
26.5	Xerzes
26	Nativity In Black
25	Ben Nerevarine
25	NTRabbit
25	Samuel L. Hacksaw
24.5	Boogalo
24.5	Eldoop
24.5	Fearless
23.5	Log082
23.5	PJ
23.5	QuasiQuack
23.5	ratmosphere
23	Dead Goon
22.5	Gaghskull
22.5	oldskool
22	Octatonic
21.5	Takuan
20.5	Bentai
20.5	ImplicitAssembler
18.5	Medenmath
15.5	Beexoffel 

Kenning fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 18, 2023

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Hoshoryu is a beast this basho. right now he's looking like a sure lock for ozeki, right?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

With 6 days left, he needs a minimum of 3 more wins (for an 11-4 record) to seriously be considered, although 4 more would basically make it a sure thing. He's pretty much a perfect ozeki candidate right now though. He's been in the san'yaku since March of 2022, and hasn't had a losing record since November of 2021. He's winning his bouts, and he's winning them with confidence and panache. I think it would take an injury for him to not get the promotion this basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Can you check my score I don't think I lost 5 points today lol. I think I have 24.5