Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

since we're on the topic of poopy asses, you know what else is also poo poo? america.

that's right, haven't done a shrinkflation post in awhile so here's #4 to go with the previous 3
Shrinkflation #1
Shrinkflation #2
Shrinkflation #3

uncle bens the race traitor

$5.99 taco bell burrito

slim fasting down in size

false advertising through shrinkflation ftw

can you spot the difference between these 2

pringles shrink has been done to death but hell, why not. even generics arent safe

tropicana now down to 1.25 from 1.75

slurpak

Aldi fish pies

fast foo sauces also shrinking big time

made bad

since people are eating less, they need a smaller toothbrush right?

doll house rear end cleaning suppies

back2school stationary also getting smaller

3-pack > 4-pack

think this might be a repeat but lol

oreo bites bites

after cat/dog food and ameritrash junk food, i think soaps/detergents have to be the most shrinking product

MEGAPACK

coke zero ounces

ice used to be 20 lb bags lol

mars, snickers, oreo bars are now a 5-pack

philly ftw

man seems like it's more work to knock off 5g than it'd be worth

ingredient fillerflation

lol this one is just so random and seems like a completely unnecessary gently caress you

ragflation

not even bars are safe

i feel good about this

making things shiny to distract people from giving them less

i heard about corporations cutting corners for a quick buck before but..... i didn't think it was literal

relax, the sticks are merely getting bigger. for your comfort

panera lol. why the gently caress does anyone go there

dominos cheese bread lol. i love before/after photos

micky-dees large fries

not even the goon-favorite meme costco is safe

it makes me mad, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Lmao at the taco bell burrito. Cheese quesidillas are $6+ there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Xaris posted:

But those were a vital unit of measurement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zonR6nYMWg

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1680387186779213826

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Simply open the Bidetiaro and set a packet of your favorite precut, freeze-dried fruit onto the pegs of the flexible, no-pinch pressure roller lining.

Then latch Bidetiaro closed and ensure the locking mechanism is secure.

Bidetiaro will turn on automatically. Following a brief processing period where the QR code from the packet is read and the presence of a genuine Bidetiaro packet has been validated and our servers reply with confirmation that the contents haven't expired, the 40,000lbs of pressure within the patented flexible membrane will press the contents of the packet and create a pure slurry of unadulterated fruit juice that will be ejected through the cleaning hose and empty onto your rear end in a top hat with the unmistakable bouquet of your favorite smoothie.

This is all done without heat! it's 100% cold pressed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the inflation posts are really good, ty xaris

cereal seems to be the biggest offender to me??? i bought some cereal for the first time in like 3 years and the 6 dollar boxes were like half the loving size. insane. family size was like smaller than regular size somehow???

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

the inflation posts are really good, ty xaris

cereal seems to be the biggest offender to me??? i bought some cereal for the first time in like 3 years and the 6 dollar boxes were like half the loving size. insane. family size was like smaller than regular size somehow???
cereal is quite bad yeah though i think big brand junk like oreos or pringles seems to be the worst from what I've seen.

but cereal is definitely up there. it's loving crazy expensive and like tiny bags. even ones like kashi are $6+. there's a few cereal ones that also show even the budget brands arent exempt. 40 oz down to 32 oz and $6

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Jul 16, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Xaris posted:

cereal is quite bad yeah though i think big brand junk like oreos or pringles seems to be the worst from what I've seen.

but cereal is definitely up there. it's loving crazy expensive and like tiny bags. even ones like kashi are $6+

it seems like the cheap poo poo ppl get addicted to but is insanely cheap to manufacture is what is most affected. like, they know that people will always run through 2-3 boxes of oreos depending on the family. whale economics for food.

youre not gonna say no to kids getting cereal. its easy and fast and they love that poo poo. same with pop tarts.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

since we're on the topic of poopy asses, you know what else is also poo poo? america.

that's right, haven't done a shrinkflation post in awhile so here's #4 to go with the previous 3
Shrinkflation #1
Shrinkflation #2
Shrinkflation #3

uncle bens the race traitor

$5.99 taco bell burrito

slim fasting down in size

false advertising through shrinkflation ftw

can you spot the difference between these 2

pringles shrink has been done to death but hell, why not. even generics arent safe

tropicana now down to 1.25 from 1.75

slurpak

Aldi fish pies

made bad

since people are eating less, they need a smaller toothbrush right?

doll house rear end cleaning suppies

back2school stationary also getting smaller

3-pack > 4-pack

think this might be a repeat but lol

oreo bites bites

after cat/dog food and ameritrash junk food, i think soaps/detergents have to be the most shrinking product

MEGAPACK

coke zero ounces

ice used to be 20 lb bags lol

mars, snickers, oreo bars are now a 5-pack

philly ftw

man seems like it's more work to knock off 5g than it'd be worth

ingredient fillerflation

lol this one is just so random and seems like a completely unnecessary gently caress you

ragflation

not even bars are safe

i feel good about this

making things shiny to distract people from giving them less

i heard about corporations cutting corners for a quick buck before but..... i didn't think it was literal

relax, the sticks are merely getting bigger. for your comfort

panera lol. why the gently caress does anyone go there

dominos cheese bread lol. i love before/after photos

micky-dees large fries

not even the goon-favorite meme costco is safe

well we had one good post today so we're still hitting our quota

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
this was probably just bad QA (funny how that keeps happening??) so I didn't post it, but lol 4oz of broken junk

this one was also funny, the thinnest box i've ever seen. what the f uck is 9.6 oz, and also still $6

anyone else remember those cereal commercials from the 90s about how the budget bag cereal was just as good as box cereal? like some guy slinking into the cereal aisle being ashamed of buying it.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:25 on Jul 16, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the fact that palm oil is in EVERYTHING is so loving infuriating

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

the fact that palm oil is in EVERYTHING is so loving infuriating

whats wrong with palm oil and how is it better/worse than corn syrup being in everything? i don't really follow the food oil debates

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I believe (without citing and sources) that palm oil production is uniquely destructive to the biosphere, but you're fine to eat it.

I used to really like crispx before I realized it was bad for me as an aged person. rip to a real one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

palindrome posted:

I used to really like crispx before I realized it was bad for me as an aged person. rip to a real one
crispix was my favorite cereal as a kid but yeah it's literally just as unhealthy as any other frosted sugar slop. plus now it's stupidly expensive

grape nuts are probably my favorite as an aging millennial but also too $$$ these days unless you snag the big box on sale -- which is increasingly less often. so i just stick with making plain gruel (oatmeal) in the morning which is still very cheap. not that gruel is really healthy since it's just carbs n phosphates, but, well, at least it's cheap and i can microwave it at work in 30 seconds

e: oh i did find another example of cereal shrinkflation. these were confirmed to be the same sku lol. 34% drop in volume, same box, same price

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:33 on Jul 16, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

palindrome posted:

I believe (without citing and sources) that palm oil production is uniquely destructive to the biosphere, but you're fine to eat it.

I used to really like crispx before I realized it was bad for me as an aged person. rip to a real one.

yeah and its not very good for you on top of tasting like nothing. other fats are more flavorful and less horrible for your body. but because palm oil is uniquely shelf stable and solid at room temp, its really good for padding chocolate and other processed foods with.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xaris posted:

whats wrong with palm oil and how is it better/worse than corn syrup being in everything? i don't really follow the food oil debates

how much do you like orangutans existing?

it’s a cut down the Indonesian rainforest thing for palm plantations thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Palm oil basically fuels The Jakarta Method

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Xaris posted:

3-pack > 4-pack

Lmao this is EGREGIOUS

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

in theory an activist investor might just gut management or strip out people working bullshit jobs (like me) without loving with labour as much to make a company profitable and then hold onto it like icahn did to ACF but these days it's all leveraged buyouts, stripping the company assets, then pulling the ripcord to get out

can someone pls define what the gently caress an activist investor is what some examples

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i avoid the whole breakfast debate by simply not having breakfast, essentially doing intermittent fasting / calorie reduction until lunch

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Truniht posted:

can someone pls define what the gently caress an activist investor is what some examples

step 1) acquire enough shares to possibly start loving up proxy votes
step 2) demand seats on the board, or you'll gently caress up proxy voting.
step 3) start media campaign in business rags to say why board is loving up, hope to drive down stock price some
step 4) get seats on the board
step 5) they start yelling "cost reduction", "load up on debt" or whatever makes them some money
step ) g6et paid

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
The residents of a small country town were intrigued by the number of dead crows on the sides of the highway coming into and going out of town.
So they took some of the carcasses to the vet in the nearest big town for investigation. He duly reported back that they had all suffered severe physical trauma caused by a large blunt object. He also reported that most had small flakes of paint amongst the feathers, and supplied a snaplock bag of samples.
The townsfolk then sent these off to a paint lab for analysis.
In due course they received a report that the paint flakes were of a type and colour only used on prime movers.
So why then hadn't the sentry crows sounded the alarm ?
Intrigued, the townsfolk called in the services of an animal whisperer and a linguist.
After in-depth research, they reported back that crows couldn't say "truck-truck-truck"; they could only say "car-car-car".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Every time I go to Target I end up needing to correct a price error. I only went in for a Red Bull and the cooler still had the old 2.50 price but it rang up as 3.

Now I’m wondering what errors I’m missing when I have many items in the cart and can’t remember the price on every one.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Grape nuts were another all time favorite cereal. The box says very few grams of sugar, but guess what your body's metabolism complicates things and it may not, in fact be part of this balanced breakfast. Which in the 80's-90's was a big glass of orange juice, milk, buttered toast, and some carby cereal.

Kind of sounds unhinged to rant about cereal but I basically considered it a meal replacement. Whoops, high cholesterol now. Owned by marketing lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it owns that Cereal is basically an invention by Famine from Good Omens. just completely worthless slop with no redeeming qualities. the perfect americana food.

kelloggs was an insane psychopath and his mission was to stop boys from masturbating. he basically got his wish by making everyone so obese and hormonally hosed up that he succeeded in killing american libdos by making them too fat

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
jokes on me i dont even eat breakfast

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

skooma512 posted:

Every time I go to Target I end up needing to correct a price error. I only went in for a Red Bull and the cooler still had the old 2.50 price but it rang up as 3.

I wonder how often this is deliberate. Easy to make a price label mistake and correct at the till and then update the sticker, but it must be awfully tempting to not correct the sticker, knowing a lot of customers won't notice and it'll just go through at the higher price.

Are there are regulations in America that can reprimand stores for doing this? (e.g happens too often, or secret shoppers from regulators report issues and check back later to see if they've been corrected, etc)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Microplastics posted:

Are there are regulations in America

lol

lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Microplastics posted:

I wonder how often this is deliberate. Easy to make a price label mistake and correct at the till and then update the sticker, but it must be awfully tempting to not correct the sticker, knowing a lot of customers won't notice and it'll just go through at the higher price.

Are there are regulations in America that can reprimand stores for doing this? (e.g happens too often, or secret shoppers from regulators report issues and check back later to see if they've been corrected, etc)
eh. most retail workers are people making like $7.5/hr for a loathsome job that they absolutely hate whose role is to be berated by the masses. they aren't paid enough to give a poo poo and keep up with prices that change every other week anyways. plus most stores are understaffed too

in this case, it's not so much deliberate as generally approved and understood incompetence/laziness. there's probably some shady convenience store/711s/bodega owners that probably do something intentionally but not the big boxes

same thing for "QA Issues" that plague all big corps and mega food corps since the pandemic. although it's funny how conveniently the 'QA problems' always result in worse/less product for consumers lol

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:47 on Jul 16, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

weird how singapore tightly controls the list prices of cooked food and that still doesn't stop the small-time vendors to easily become millionaires on a USD basis

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
im only eating rice and beans now

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Microplastics posted:

It's probably not deliberate policy on behalf of the store (at least not for the big chains), but it's a result of ticket changing being a job with zero accountability and stores running on skeleton crews.

For example: my store updates their tickets twice a day, to 'bring prices in line with the competition' (which is DEFINITELY to bring customers the best low prices and DEFINITELY NOT a form of price fixing).

Most batches will be ~100 tickets, but it's not unusual for there to be 500+ tickets in a batch.

We do not get any extra man power to change price tickets - we have workers from one department do the tickets every day, and they do the tickets on top of all their other work - stocking, filling, and helping customers. And when I say 'workers' I mean there is a single worker assigned to that department in the morning who has the morning tickets to do, and a single person is working the night shift and doing the afternoon tickets.

And when I say 'workers from one department', what I mean is workers from one specific department put out the tickets for the whole store every day. But of course, they don't know where most things outside their department are, physically, in the store. So they just have to walk around and hope they can find where things are (or are meant to be, since the actual item might not be in stock at the time, so they might be unknowingly looking for an empty spot on the shelf). My store stocks ~18,500 unique SKUs, and many of those have multiple locations in the store, so whoever has to swap tickets is basically tracking down 100 needles in a haystack.

On top of all this, the company has been heavily pushing hiring under-16s because they are cheap, and giving them a maximum of two shifts a week. Which means not only do they not really know where things outside their department are, they also don't know where things inside their department are, and they don't really care because they know any mess they make is going to be someone else's problem and definitely won't be remembered by their next shift. And who cares if they get fired, they're already working two other jobs anyway.

And because it's different people doing the job every shift, and problems are not caught for days after the ticket batch dropped, it's impossible to pinpoint a specific person to blame for any specific error. Managers are reduced to saying "seriously guys, we need to do this right" and hoping that has some effect.

And then, compounding all this, there's the fact there is ZERO oversight or accountability. The line managers are on skeleton crew hours themselves now, which means they definitely do not have time to check that tickets are actually being updated, even if there was an easy way to do that (which there isn't) and the store manager is having to plug gaps in the line manager coverage, so he is absolutely not checking something as low level as 'are the workers actually doing the work?'.

If you're a lazy worker, you can 100% just throw a batch of tickets in the trash, confident that even if it causes a problem, the problem will never be tracked specifically back to you.

If this all sounds insanely inefficient and bad to you: welcome to retail! Everything is insanely inefficient and bad here!

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i would literally rather die than debase myself into a USA retail job

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Raine posted:

i would literally rather die than debase myself into a USA retail job

I'm not in the US, but I don't consider my job to be a debasement. I've turned down multiple offers of management or office jobs within the company.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

HazCat posted:

I'm not in the US, but I don't consider my job to be a debasement. I've turned down multiple offers of management or office jobs within the company.

well there you go. US consumers are uniquely the worst in the world and working to serve them is true debasement. euro retail consumers are vastly nicer/well-behaved.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Microplastics posted:

Sometimes weights and measures can fine a store. Has to be reported though.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Centrist Committee posted:

it makes me mad, op

It’s all processed garbage that you’re better off not eating

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

You're not wrong and this was once commonly known. The erosion of the family unit means things like basic food preparation or budgeting haven't been passed down leading to easily exploitation of the younger ones.

Best solution is to rebuild the family unit in the cultural ethos however that runs counter to certain other things more dominant currently.

The social history of food is interesting because when there are exceptions - most Romans in an urban area did not cook at home - they went to thermopolia. Similarly, in Victorian Britain, the working class baked, but also reheated or cooked their food at bakeries late at night (commercial bakeries had to keep the ovens from cooling down anyway, so by custom allowed it).

The thing is, those are social ways of eating in the community, they’re not market relationships.

Oops capitalism is a solvent,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

do people spend a lot on groceries - i get the impression that the reason why corpos were able to increase their margins is that people spend a small proportion of their budget on food so it's easy to jack it up. looking at my monthly expenses, we spend less than 5% of monthly income on groceries and food (eating out included)