Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Macichne Leainig posted:

In comparison to the Playstation controller sure, but they're both pretty loving fragile and finicky especially for the Elite Gamer or w/e editions you can buy.

Which is why Valve needs to fill the void with Steam Controller 2

I've had my dualsense for about 1½ years now and its still in perfect condition, ive dropped it once or twice but it's still fine with no stick drift. This is despite travelling with it loose in my giant backpack and having to pack it next to the chargers and all that jazz.

What on earth are you all doing to the things?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I tried installing the GOG version that has the patch already installed but I couldn’t get it working on Lutris. I need to try it again

I got it working following these instructions. Try setting the proton to 3.16-9, maybe that’ll help.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sgbyou posted:

This is a known issue with all docks, it's apparently fixed in steamos 3.5.
When is this poo poo coming out? It's supposed to fix everything and yet it was announced like six months ago.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

alexandriao posted:

I've had my dualsense for about 1½ years now and its still in perfect condition, ive dropped it once or twice but it's still fine with no stick drift. This is despite travelling with it loose in my giant backpack and having to pack it next to the chargers and all that jazz.

i think it's just luck. they're all pretty durable, except for joy-cons, but sometimes you get a bad one. my xbone controller started drifting after like six months but my og ps4's dualshock still works perfectly

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

No, but for fuckin' real, Valve, make a goddamned Steam Controller 2 (call it a Steam Deck Controller :shrug:) and I'd buy one. It'd be super nice to have all of the functionality of the Steam deck controls (sans touchscreen) in a controller that syncs better with the deck than any other controller on the planet.

It's money on the table, Gabe! :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 16, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, but for fuckin' real, Valve, make a goddamned Steam Controller 2 (call it a Steam Deck Controller :shrug:) and I'd buy one. It'd be super nice to have all of the functionality of the Steam deck controls (sans touchscreen) in a touchscreen that syncs better with the deck than any other controller on the planet.

It's money on the table, Gabe! :argh:

This is probably what's keeping me the most from buying a dock: no controller except the Steam Controller has the same functionality, but the SC (1) to my knowledge doesn't sync particularly smoothly with the Deck and (2) isn't loving comfortable

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steam Controller works great with the deck fwiw, you just have to install the bluetooth firmware on it if you haven't.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

homeless snail posted:

Steam Controller works great with the deck fwiw, you just have to install the bluetooth firmware on it if you haven't.

simply frictionless ux

(ill give it a go sometime)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ZIGfried posted:

Late to the party here but Brotato is my jam so I feel compelled to comment.

First off, decide how you're going to do damage. Stick or slingshot are always great choices. Engineering with wrenches and screwdrivers don't need investment in stats like attack speed or damage% and thus are very noob friendly. Unless your character demands it, don't mix damage types. Go all in with one of melee, ranged, elemental, or engineering. Play into your character. If they do 100% damage with unarmed weapons, then don't use non unarmed weapons.

The first five waves you're guaranteed to have at least one weapon in the store at all times so reroll early and often to fill out your arsenal. I usually like to make sure I have all 6 weapon slots filled by the start of wave 6 (with the same weapon in most cases.) For waves 1-5 I like to spend my level ups on harvesting and/or luck; 5 harvesting after wave 1 translates to over 250 currency by the end of the game. Luck will affect the rarity of every level up and store roll, and will increase chances crates will drop from trees. For both harvesting and luck, the earlier you get it the more value you get out of it.

For waves 6-10 I like to build up my damage as much as possible. Prioritize weapons and your primary damage stat. In this phase straight ranged/melee/elemental is better than damage%. You can merge two weapons of the same rank to upgrade to the next level. I prefer to level all my rank 1s to 2s before merging 2s to 3s in most cases. You should be around 30-40 Max hp by wave 10. Good damage is key to snowballing as more kills=more money=more items=more kills.

Waves 11-15 I like to focus on survivability. Here's where you start seeking out the dodge/armor/healing stats. Life steal is better on fast weapons like the SMG but I usually end with a hodge podge of life steal, regeneration, and the items that heal when you pick up materials or when you crit. 10 armor and 40 dodge is usually good enough, but the more the better (dodge does cap at 60) this phase is usually where my runs end if they're going to end.

Waves 16-20 are basically just filling in the gaps. Finish upgrading weapons if you can. Crit and damage% can be pretty valuable here (assuming you aren't going engineering.) Continue to stack survivability and damage stats as they come up. I usually end a run at 80-100 max HP.

Attack speed can be a big damage boost if you're running slow weapons, it pairs great with the slingshots. Range, despite the warning that it will slow your melee attacks, is key for melee builds. At 80-100 range all 6 of your weapons can attack on one side of your body, which is critical for maximizing DPS and killing enemies before they can damage you. Oddly enough I fade range for ranged builds. The base range for these weapons is pretty high and often the weapon synergy bonuses will increase range. Speed is a useful stat too to an extent. 10-20 should be all you need to dodge most attacks.

Obviously these are rough guidelines. If a +3 armor level up appears on wave 7 you bet your rear end I'm grabbing it. Damage% can be very good in the early game for high base damage weapons (like 6 sticks.) One last thing, most of the "economic" items are very good. Things like the recycler (items sell for more) or the sack ($15 for each crate you pick up) will easily pay for themselves and then some.

Is it ok to quote this? I bounced off Brotato hard but wanted to like it

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Cryoutilities seems to give me a more consistent frame rate.I guess that’s what happens when you use a 16 gigabyte swap file and increase your vram to 4 GB

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah straight up when I’m playing on my PC I’d drop any other controller in favour of something with all the functions of the Deck minus the touchscreen. Valve (or whoever can make it) please take my money!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yeah straight up when I’m playing on my PC I’d drop any other controller in favour of something with all the functions of the Deck minus the touchscreen. Valve (or whoever can make it) please take my money!

I wonder if you could just buy parts for the deck, then hook them up to a uno/esp23blahblah/bluetooth module, and 3d print a case for it all

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Obviously for releasing them you want to like idk use ABS molding or whatever but I wonder how feasible it is to make The Ur-Controller with just like stock parts from other controllers

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We need to start a Kickstarter to make our own, it's clearly the only way.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Found secret dialog in Hi-Fi Rush if you go back to the hideout mid-chapter (quit to title and then load save) during chapters where the party is absolutely not supposed to be at the hideout and now it's even more game of the year-ier than it already was. Perfect video game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there any Docks that do 2.5GB Ethernet? Can the Deck even really keep up with anything above a gigabit on a USB-C dock that supports it?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

alexandriao posted:

I think it's really just QC, I have two dualsenses and one has problems and the other does not.

Coincidentally it's the one that came with the console that is the problematic one. But that's fine because I bought a purple one to match my purple PS5

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Raylax posted:

Found secret dialog in Hi-Fi Rush if you go back to the hideout mid-chapter (quit to title and then load save) during chapters where the party is absolutely not supposed to be at the hideout and now it's even more game of the year-ier than it already was. Perfect video game.

Is that the bit where everyone tells Chai how awesome he is and he keeps responding like "yup, sounds about right" :)

It's a good deck game, my timing accuracy takes a tumble when I don't play it with headphones though

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My Deck downloads about 2.5x faster on WiFi than my Xbox Series X, the world's most powerful console

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

I got it working following these instructions. Try setting the proton to 3.16-9, maybe that’ll help.

Nice one!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Beastie posted:

My Deck downloads about 2.5x faster on WiFi than my Xbox Series X, the world's most powerful console

it’s outrageously fast and idk why. i wish my laptop could do this

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Does anyone recommend a certain community controller profile for the original Resident Evil 4?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mescal posted:

Does anyone recommend a certain community controller profile for the original Resident Evil 4?

The PC version has controller support built in and it works perfectly. You could bind L2 to Gyro as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

it’s outrageously fast and idk why. i wish my laptop could do this

Gabe is singlehandedly making up for every other handhelds dog slow wifi

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think I'm missing something in Dredge.

I know that an actual dredge exists for your boat, but I have no idea how to get it, and I have the shipyard, but none of the crafting materials, and I've been exploring quite a bit of the map.

I feel like I just breezed past something important without knowing it. Please understand that I literally fall asleep every time I play Dredge because I only play it laying in bed at like 1AM, so this is entirely my fault.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Squiggle posted:

This guy! I miss them, but bought an extra one before they ran out.

I really do hope the SC2 comes along and, yeah, hopefully has a right-hand stick on it.

Nice, never got my hands on it, but I do look forward to the SC2. I think it’s inevitable and the only reason it’s still not a thing is because of the patent trolls. And I also think I read that valve is currently trying to fight them?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Beastie posted:

It beats my switch and PS4 that are hard wired. Idgi

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

quiggy posted:

This is probably what's keeping me the most from buying a dock: no controller except the Steam Controller has the same functionality, but the SC (1) to my knowledge doesn't sync particularly smoothly with the Deck and (2) isn't loving comfortable

The PS4 and PS5 controllers both have all the functionality. Using the trackpad for anything is awkward though.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I know that an actual dredge exists for your boat, but I have no idea how to get it, and I have the shipyard, but none of the crafting materials, and I've been exploring quite a bit of the map.

I feel like I just breezed past something important without knowing it. Please understand that I literally fall asleep every time I play Dredge because I only play it laying in bed at like 1AM, so this is entirely my fault.

How is it? The concept looks really interesting to me but at same time very repetitive.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Honestly the main reason I want the SC2 is because of the stick layout. I’ve wanted a controller with the sticks at the top and back buttons for so long, and I’m not surprised valve was the company that created one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kefa posted:

How is it? The concept looks really interesting to me but at same time very repetitive.

So far so good, there is a lot of catching fish, exploring the seas and bringing them back to sell, so if you like delivery games (I have the specific brain problems that make delivery games extremely fun), its probably up your alley

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So far so good, there is a lot of catching fish, exploring the seas and bringing them back to sell, so if you like delivery games (I have the specific brain problems that make delivery games extremely fun), its probably up your alley

I’ll give it a try, sounds comfy on the deck. I think I like delivering things if the controls are fun.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Party Boat posted:

Is that the bit where everyone tells Chai how awesome he is and he keeps responding like "yup, sounds about right" :)

It's a good deck game, my timing accuracy takes a tumble when I don't play it with headphones though

Nah, that part's on the main storyline where the chapter ends with Chai getting KO'd and captured by Korsica, but the game structure still needs a between-level hideout break so it puts it in as a dream sequence, you can't miss that one.
This is very missable and only occurs if you quit the game partway through certain chapters and then load your save, which puts you in the hideout (the sofa will send you back to the checkpoint in the stage you were in), which is in certain chapters a massive continuity hole and the characters all have dialog to acknowledge that this makes no sense and they shouldn't be here right now. It's very funny

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You need to go the the island with the mysterious stranger and start the quest line to collect the artifacts, he’ll provide you with the dredge equipment. The island is one of the four close islands in the first area, I think to the east of the starting port?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone else ruin into an issue where their left and right triggers are swapped? I can't explain why. But when using the deck to play PC games over moonlight, the triggers are backwards for some reason when set to left/right mouse button. I've checked the Controller settings multiple times, and they're set correctly, but In game they both do the opposite mouse button. It's easy to work around and I have to go into the game settings and change the mouse bindings so left mouse aims, right mouse shoots, etc., But it gets annoying across multiple games and I'm not sure if it's an issue on the deck artist or the game or even moonlight side..

edit: I'm dumb, there's literally a "swap mouse buttons" box in the Moonlight menu which I somehow kept missing while troubleshooting. Why would this when exist?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 17, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

If that helps you be aware that quicksaving can cause the game to crash. Seems to happen after 3-5 saves for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Suburban Dad posted:

It beats my switch and PS4 that are hard wired. Idgi

It's probably the CDN that MS/Sony/Nintendo use that are capped to a certain limit or some poo poo. I know the PS3 had issues with really slow downloads because Sony sucks.

Yuzu is seeing major performance issues, up to 17% more FPS in TOTK now. Pretty loving dope, these people are wizards.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So, my friend got his Steam Deck the other day. He set it up and got it updated to the current firmware. Binding of Isaac wouldn't boot up for whatever reason. I had him try different Proton versions and even had him change to Experimental firmware. It wouldn't be fixed. I booted it up just fine on my Steam Deck on the latest Proton version. The only difference between his version of BOI and mine is that I have the repentance DLC and he doesn't, and I don't think that would fundamentally change anything. Any ideas?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

change the command to

PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

and then check the Home folder in desktop mode for a log file

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

If that helps you be aware that quicksaving can cause the game to crash. Seems to happen after 3-5 saves for me.

:negative: the ghost of Troika lives on

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I feel like I am spending a lot of time cross-referencing game deals on third party sites with the Steam store to check for Deck compatibility status.

Are there any third-party deal-tracking sites that provide a one-stop shop for Steam review %, historical price, and Steam Deck compatibility ratings?

I am currently using a combination of IsThereAnyDeal, SteamDB, and the Steam store, and wondering if there is a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Parker Lewis posted:

I feel like I am spending a lot of time cross-referencing game deals on third party sites with the Steam store to check for Deck compatibility status.

Are there any third-party deal-tracking sites that provide a one-stop shop for Steam review %, historical price, and Steam Deck compatibility ratings?

I am currently using a combination of IsThereAnyDeal, SteamDB, and the Steam store, and wondering if there is a better way.

I don't know if there are any websites that do everything you want, but you could probably get away with just checking IsThereAnyDeal and ProtonDB. Steam's verification doesn't really mean much.