Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there any mechanical reason to go for more side quests once renown is covered other than new character leveling? As far as I can tell there’s no downside to ignoring them.

not really no. the rewards, outside of usually very safe xp besides mahjood being annoying, are i think exclusively the materials caches. the first time you complete the various side quest chains you unlock some titles. i don’t know if anything that gets like gated behind having not done a sidequest like say not being able to use s waypoint if you haven’t finished a stronghold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there any mechanical reason to go for more side quests once renown is covered other than new character leveling? As far as I can tell there’s no downside to ignoring them.

You no longer have to see the ! markers on your map.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Those three plus a bar of nature skills (and poison creeper) shits all over with landslide.

yeah i might switch back to creeper in that setup but tbh I dunno if it's even necessary

trampleslide just covers most of the screen in double-hit landslides and i put the aspect on my 2H weapon so they get bonus damage too. it just deletes entire packs, it's fun

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Swilo posted:

You no longer have to listen to NPCs grumbling that their eyes can only see so much.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

yeah i might switch back to creeper in that setup but tbh I dunno if it's even necessary

trampleslide just covers most of the screen in double-hit landslides and i put the aspect on my 2H weapon so they get bonus damage too. it just deletes entire packs, it's fun

There's a board dedicated to poisoned enemies with nodes that boost DR and damage vs poisoned enemies. Creeper activates that. There's also a board that makes you poison stuff iirc.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

There's a board dedicated to poisoned enemies with nodes that boost DR and damage vs poisoned enemies. Creeper activates that. There's also a board that makes you poison stuff iirc.

oh sweet, good to know. I'm still on my first paragon board so haven't got to some of those synergies yet. that makes sense.

this feels like my first "real" build that actually works nicely. probably gonna roll druid in season 1 too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

oh sweet, good to know. I'm still on my first paragon board so haven't got to some of those synergies yet. that makes sense.

this feels like my first "real" build that actually works nicely. probably gonna roll druid in season 1 too.

Yeah you can ride it to 100 easy.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Season 1 stuff and links:

-For renown - Wait till > 70 and then drop back to WT1. You can now sprint through the dungeons ignoring the mobs and focus on the objectives. If you're in a group, the completion and codex unlock is shared w/ everyone else no matter where they are. So everyone splits up and does their own dungeon; drastically cutting down on the time. There should be plenty of discord groups titled "WT1 renown split farm" or the like.

Here's ~22 side quests.

"Map of All Side Quests That Lead To Dungeons for Optimal Renown on 1ºSeason"
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo4/comments/14ymfd1/map_of_all_side_quests_that_lead_to_dungeons_for/

-You may be able to create a new seasonal character and claim all the gold, delete it, and then recreate for 65k total. Do this for about 10 minutes for a million gold approx. Should be enough for a little headstart so you can salvage all w/o worry about missing out on a good vendor item or w/e.
4 minute vid from Royalkubs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFoUF2mtgQ

-Stronghold resetting with the "ring the bell / bonus xp from completion" is doable in groups and insane xp. 2 speedruners Jymnasium and
Vitruth
found the bug/exploit and have reported it, but it may not be fixed by season launch.
7.5 min vid from Raxxanterax explaining it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5htXfP_wvzw

-Diablo 4 - Stat/Damage optimization spreadsheet + Damage equation followup 7min vid. How to use spreadsheet starts @ 2
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J3nf6kZ4OFLhorbT1UsMSsWFXwc8CFMcR8Bu1sJBrmc/edit#gid=0

-Xarrio has an ongoing series about DR and everything related. Including when and why DR%/+Armor/+Life is better. Effective HP Calc spreadsheet in Part 5 vid.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

yeah it's really fun. idk how trampleslide works mechanically but the tooltip says it spawns 6 landslides which is kinda misleading, in a good way? it fills the whole screen with landslides lol, just deletes groups of mobs. the trample itself does good damage too, feels good to just charge into elites, shove them into a wall then the ground opens up and eats everything. I think I killed the boss with like 2-3 trampleslides targeted underneath it. very fun and pretty effective.

you're also resetting the cooldown on earthen bulwark too so you're pretty tanky and can just throw that up all the time.

i have a couple nightmare sigils i think ill try this out tonight.

edit: right now I have this set up with storm strike, landslide, trample, earthen bulwark, hurricane, and cataclysm. i might try petrify instead, cataclysm is alright but idk that it's doing much for me rn

Yeah, Petrify is a lot better than Cataclysm also I would recommend to add the Poison Creeper and the poison passives instead of Hurricane. To me felt a lot better than the added dps or lucky hits from Hurricane.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Zeg posted:

:same: except tempest roar

Same except level 100 and also never saw Teremity, though that one is less exciting.

And I don’t think I’ll ever hit 100 again unless they do something about item power.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
temerity sucks because conceited doesnt work right

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Pellisworth posted:

yeah it's really fun. idk how trampleslide works mechanically but the tooltip says it spawns 6 landslides which is kinda misleading, in a good way? it fills the whole screen with landslides lol, just deletes groups of mobs. the trample itself does good damage too, feels good to just charge into elites, shove them into a wall then the ground opens up and eats everything. I think I killed the boss with like 2-3 trampleslides targeted underneath it. very fun and pretty effective.

you're also resetting the cooldown on earthen bulwark too so you're pretty tanky and can just throw that up all the time.

i have a couple nightmare sigils i think ill try this out tonight.

edit: right now I have this set up with storm strike, landslide, trample, earthen bulwark, hurricane, and cataclysm. i might try petrify instead, cataclysm is alright but idk that it's doing much for me rn

My build was all earth skills except hurricane and trample after I got the aspect, petrify is really good. procs cataclysm 1/3 of the time anyways. Hurricane was just to apply vuln mostly, but it's decent dps regardless.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 15, 2023

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

bio347 posted:

I find there to be a really weird disconnect with gear versus level. Like, ancestral gear is the exact same whether you're level 68 or level 98.

I understand that, logically, level 70 or so is probably equivalent to, eg, a max-level D3 character, and so it makes sense that the gear doesn't get better as you level up... but also, decades of RPGs have ingrained the idea that higher character level = stronger gear dropping. It's not necessarily wrong, but it also feels uncomfy. It just kinda feels like they should have made character level and paragon level different tracks or something.

there wasnt really a difference between like level 70 and 100 in d2 either. at least levels offer a lot of power in this game

Gejimayu posted:

My whirlwind bleed build was feeling weak at 55 so I respecced to robs latest ww build but its clearly for a higher level than im at. Biggest issue is fury gen. Anybody recommend one that can clear the capstone at around 60? I don't want to redo all my aspects and still not have a strong build.

just spend a little more time with lunging, or whatever you use for a builder?

try to reroll fury cost reduction on your boots or resource gen on your rings. and umbral works just as well as the fury/sec so try to gamble either one of those

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

there wasnt really a difference between like level 70 and 100 in d2 either. at least levels offer a lot of power in this game

just spend a little more time with lunging, or whatever you use for a builder?

try to reroll fury cost reduction on your boots or resource gen on your rings. and umbral works just as well as the fury/sec so try to gamble either one of those

Seconding fury cost reduction, but resource gen on rings only rolls on ancestral level gear IIRC. The biggest boons to fury gen gear wise would be the shout cd and shout fury/sec aspects; otherwise you can play around with fury on weapon swap passives and fury/sec while berserking.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

odinson posted:

Season 1 stuff and links:

-Diablo 4 - Stat/Damage optimization spreadsheet + Damage equation followup 7min vid. How to use spreadsheet starts @ 2
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J3nf6kZ4OFLhorbT1UsMSsWFXwc8CFMcR8Bu1sJBrmc/edit#gid=0

-Xarrio has an ongoing series about DR and everything related. Including when and why DR%/+Armor/+Life is better. Effective HP Calc spreadsheet in Part 5 vid.

Oh hey look, spreadsheets that tell you when main stat is better than vuln, waoow

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What bucket is a multiplicitive increase like the additional effect of say the unleash glyph? Is that just straight on top of the three buckets or what

And do all the "damage reduction" paragon nodes get summed prior to calculation or is it a bunch of little 4 percent boosts (ie. Damage reduction from elites from a number of different nodes)

flashman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 16, 2023

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

flashman posted:

What bucket is a multiplicitive increase like the additional effect of say the unleash glyph? Is that just straight on top of the three buckets or what

And do all the "damage reduction" paragon nodes get summed prior to calculation or is it a bunch of little 4 percent boosts (ie. Damage reduction from elites from a number of different nodes)

The DR I don't know off the top of my head but the final link in the post I quoted covers it. Most multiplicative increases on the paragon board or aspects are their own novel buckets, usually conditionally applied. Honestly the buckets thing seems confusing to me and I think it's blizzard's fault for not having more consistent vocabulary defining the way things work.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Do Necromancer minions inherit some default percentage of thorns (like 30%)? There's gear affixes that are worded like "Your minions inherit x% of your thorns", which makes it seem like they don't. Otherwise, I would expect the affix to be worded like "Your minions inherit an additional x% of your thorns".

Also, I want to complain about the minion AI. For whatever reason, the warriors and the golem love switching targets to "new" things. Things like minions that suddenly spawn in, recently resurrected minions, walls. I've had my entire melee force break a complete surround on the butcher to go attack a lone skeleton archer that had wandered down a hallway into the fight. The butcher died in the end but I was completely awestruck as to why such a behavior would ever be beneficial.

Finally, I want to give a special shout-out to the most polite golem ever. I see you, patiently waiting for the enemies to get out of your way so that you can slam down where I asked you to. I see you, when I unfortunately target a slam too central on a totem or something and then you endlessly run circles around it. I see you, when you get permanently stuck on some level geometry and have no teleport-to-necromancer leashing behavior so I have to teleport out of the dungeon and port back again.

Otherwise, I've been enjoying playing as a minion Necro. It's certainly an improvement over D3.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brutakas posted:

Do Necromancer minions inherit some default percentage of thorns (like 30%)? There's gear affixes that are worded like "Your minions inherit x% of your thorns", which makes it seem like they don't. Otherwise, I would expect the affix to be worded like "Your minions inherit an additional x% of your thorns".

Also, I want to complain about the minion AI. For whatever reason, the warriors and the golem love switching targets to "new" things. Things like minions that suddenly spawn in, recently resurrected minions, walls. I've had my entire melee force break a complete surround on the butcher to go attack a lone skeleton archer that had wandered down a hallway into the fight. The butcher died in the end but I was completely awestruck as to why such a behavior would ever be beneficial.

Finally, I want to give a special shout-out to the most polite golem ever. I see you, patiently waiting for the enemies to get out of your way so that you can slam down where I asked you to. I see you, when I unfortunately target a slam too central on a totem or something and then you endlessly run circles around it. I see you, when you get permanently stuck on some level geometry and have no teleport-to-necromancer leashing behavior so I have to teleport out of the dungeon and port back again.

Otherwise, I've been enjoying playing as a minion Necro. It's certainly an improvement over D3.

I dunno but if you want to watch a 30 min video about minions this dude did a lot of testing.

https://youtu.be/Ch49im9cvFU

He has time stamps with power point slides if you don’t want to hear him drone on for 30 min.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Brutakas posted:

One of the Book of the Dead upgrades is phrased along the lines of, "Increase the amount of Thorns that your warriors inherit from 30% to 50%", suggesting that they otherwise inherit the same baseline amount as they do when it comes to most other stats. I have not actually tested this or anything, of course. :shrug:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

pork never goes bad posted:

The DR I don't know off the top of my head but the final link in the post I quoted covers it. Most multiplicative increases on the paragon board or aspects are their own novel buckets, usually conditionally applied. Honestly the buckets thing seems confusing to me and I think it's blizzard's fault for not having more consistent vocabulary defining the way things work.

Thanks man appreciate it I will check it out when I can watch a YouTube.

Novel bucket seems like it would be... Quite nice? Not as valuable as an exploit or destruction wrt damage out put as the primary effect is quite weak but really trying to explore all the options for mana regen and the lovely lucky hit chance of orb

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Necromancer minion stat inheritance is the wild west. Last I checked they still weren't entirely sure on a lot of things.

One thing that I found very funny was that minions only inherit 30% of the "minion attack speed" affix that you can get on gear(I think?) and paragon. They DO however inherit 100% of the SPECIFIC minion attack speed affixes. Really feels like one of those bugs that should have been easy to catch, and maybe they did and it's just low on the priority list.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flashman posted:

Each source of damage reduction is multiplicative. If they were additive it would be pretty easy to hit 100% DR

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So stacking one type of damage reduction gets you the most benefit?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
uber lillith is p. hard. not sure why but sometimes it zooms out a little bit before the first adds , then zooms out a bit more. sometimes it doesn’t zoom out at all until the adds then zooms out a lot. makes it really hard to tell where the waves are and what pattern

i’ve got nearly perfectly rolled gear, minus a bit of DR on my skillet that i’d prefer to be move speed. 2 of my glyphs are 15 instead of 21, but i don’t see a lot of ways for me to get more power at this point otherwise.

i’d really like to beat it before the patch drops and changes stuff but i dunno if i’ve got enough time

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Tarnop posted:

Each source of damage reduction is multiplicative. If they were additive it would be pretty easy to hit 100% DR

So each 4 percent node is separate? I see

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flashman posted:

So each 4 percent node is separate? I see

Yup. You'll still be taking 4% less damage than you were each time you click one, so it doesn't feel as weird as the diminishing returns on all the +conditional damage gear

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The only exception is armour, since its not small buckets of damage mitigation, but one big bucket thats relatively easy to cap.
Seriously, if you're not armour capped for whatever level of content your doing, you should get right onto that. Its even the main reason Sorc paragon boards are so goddamn awful, they're mostly resist based and not armour like the other classes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Decided to roll S1 as a rogue, after experiencing NM50 as a sorc and noping out of that hot mess.

Playing with Wudijo's Flurry+Rapid Fire build ATM and it's pretty fun. Bit less tricky than twisting blades on a controller, although it is frustrating when you're all set up to delete something with RF and the drat game just decides you didn't want it to autotarget the only drat thing left in the room, standing right in front of you :negative:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Don Dongington posted:

Decided to roll S1 as a rogue, after experiencing NM50 as a sorc and noping out of that hot mess.

Playing with Wudijo's Flurry+Rapid Fire build ATM and it's pretty fun. Bit less tricky than twisting blades on a controller, although it is frustrating when you're all set up to delete something with RF and the drat game just decides you didn't want it to autotarget the only drat thing left in the room, standing right in front of you :negative:

I have this issue with penetrating shot from time to time, and sometimes it seems like it automatically shoots twice with one button press. Can't tell if that's just lag or it's the way it works on console.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Rogue seems like it's quite fun, yeah. Lots of mobility, seems overall pretty good at all stages of the game and you can pick between melee and ranged :shobon:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Rogue is probably the only class that won't get buffed by the next patch because outside of being 1 shot by high level monsters, most builds are somehow mostly viable, different, and fun

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah after suffering through Sorc I'm ready for Barb or Rogue next season. Honestly I'll probably wait until the actual patch notes/changes to decide, I just hope they are significant.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sorc could be improved greatly overnight if they just took out all the pointless maluses on their gear. No other class has them to the same extent and they turn some interesting item effects into total crap.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Just 100%ed all the regions, the most annoying part being the invisible side quests. But, it's fine, I guess. It wasn't too hard with this guide on the blizzard forums.

I'm level 82 and wondering if I should bother pushing to 100 before the season starts, maybe. Who knows, I don't.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

S1 is in 4 days. I'm at least in "I'm not touching D4 until S1" mode. But to be fair I have been for like 3 weeks.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

pork never goes bad posted:

Isn't infinimist good too? That looks fun. I think I'll start bone necro and transition to that, pending patch notes, then do something with whatever the new poo poo enables, then back to PoE.

Late to the convo on this, but I've been running infinimist since lvl40 ish and while it doesn't throw up 25 million damage per tick, it's definitely the easiest to play, and you don't die ever. Granted, I don't have Black River, which would probably help the damage a lot, and I've only just now touched the 3rd Paragon board, but it let me get to wt4 before I hit 60. :shrug:

It's very fun and very chill. I usually walk in to a huge pile of mobs, hit 3 buttons, run in circles and everything dies. Occasionally throwing in a manual corpse explosion. At lvl 70, and t40nmd, I have to pay more attention by tossing around more corpse tendrils and Decrepify, and make sure my abilities are off cool down before a huge elite mob alpha, but it's still pretty chill.

Build it, play with it, see how it fits. I'm probably eventually going to switch over to a blood surge build because I like making the whole screen explode at once, but this build has been fantastic fun so far

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

Rogue is probably the only class that won't get buffed by the next patch because outside of being 1 shot by high level monsters, most builds are somehow mostly viable, different, and fun

Being 1 shot constantly is pretty annoying though! Also having your only way to get unstoppable also be your movement ability so you can't actually move with it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

bamhand posted:

Being 1 shot constantly is pretty annoying though! Also having your only way to get unstoppable also be your movement ability so you can't actually move with it.

Concealment and shadow clone also grant unstoppable.

3/5 classes are basically one shotted after a certain dungeon level so I'm not sure that's something unique to rogue.

E: I forgot some necromancers don't fold like paper but being one shot killed seems more like a game design issue than a class issue is my point

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ah I didn't know clone did since I run death trap. Concealment seems fairly useless though and has a longer cd than shadowstep.