Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Party In My Diapee posted:

Even though i've tried RimWorld many times and know how the early game works, i still feel like i quickly end up in constant disaster response. In my opinion everything takes too long so i can barely get food butchered/gathered and cooked in time, nothing ever can get cleaned, and right around the corner is a wounded or angry colonist, or some fire or disease. At the same time i need to chop wood or to build or to craft. I might just have too few pawns i guess, but i wish everything wasn't a race against time before a real problem like a big raid has even begun. I haven't know about the bedrest thing before though, that might solve a lot if they stop laying in bed all day.

Slavery and mechanitors are the in-game mechanics that help alleviate a lot of this pressure, having 1 pawn/mechanoid that's just wandering around cleaning or hauling for you is kind of game-changing and it's not obvious from the jump that that'd be the case. But yeah, ultimately it's easy to have too many things to do and not enough hands, as is often the case in life

To that end, work prioritization is a critical skill to master. In an early colony I'm making tweaks all the time trying to get specific things done. The default priorities are 3 so I like to assign 2 for "this pawn should most often be doing this thing" and then that leaves 1 for "drop what you're doing and take care of this now". A pawn that's good at Construction, Mining, and Plants I might assign 4 to Grow and Plant Cut most of the time but then 1 to both of those when it's time to harvest the crops, then depending on what I need at that time (mined materials or built stuff) I may assign Construction or Mining to 1 at any given time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Bloodly posted:

Random whining/depression.(Because sometimes everyone needs to vent).

Recently bought Rimworld. Everyone's starving, no time for anything. Look up footage. Everyone else: Here's how I blew through the tech tree with one person naked and alone and instantly have everything I need on 500%....

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and no clue how to learn.

Stop watching Adam Vs Everything and the other 500% Threat people. Well, do, they're very entertaining a lot of the time, but the way they play the game is totally not how almost anyone else does. I swear they're either robots or insane.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah a lot of youtube content is basically carefully executed technically-legit exploitive gameplay and is not about how normal people should play the game at all. Rarr is fine because he embraces not being optimal all the time and allows things to fail, most of the others are into the flawless procedural style and that's not helpful for new players at all.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

As far as youtube content is concerned I used to watch Rhadamant, he's a chill dude with a dog. When he's doing something not-obvious he's very good about explaining what he's doing and why, like he's how I learned that 3-wall insulation isn't any better than 2-wall. He's often doing weird mod challenges but his mod list is very lite, like he'll install some specific small set of thematic mods for a series and I don't think he does anything beyond that, like he's not even using Allow Tool

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also don't worry about sucking, I rarely get a game that lasts very long for one reason or another. It's not always because of me wanting to add more mods!

(Just most of the time.)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
i cheat constantly with the console because im trying to do a thing here, and im not above just deleting a guy out of existence to make it work

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

And in Rimworld it's important to learn to embrace failure. It's fun to let the settlement's story play out no matter what happens.

I've had many situations where things were finally nice and stable with a thriving little town, only to have some raid go horribly wrong and all but two of my people die. And one of remaining two dies soon after due to the mental breakdowns from that raid.

This kind of setbacks are part of the game and can be hilarious if you push on and not reload.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

i cheat constantly with the console because im trying to do a thing here, and im not above just deleting a guy out of existence to make it work

Absolutely fine to do this!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mr. Samuel Streamer is the only YouTube RimWorld player that keeps it real, mostly because he plays with 300+ mods and they always end up breaking his playthrough 20 episodes in.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

I cheat with the console to clear up some modded stuff because sometimes someone will throw a flaming dagger that fails to connect and doesn't despawn so it sits there and generates 50 smoke particles a frame until I use console commands to delete it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Geomancing posted:

Stop watching Adam Vs Everything and the other 500% Threat people. Well, do, they're very entertaining a lot of the time, but the way they play the game is totally not how almost anyone else does. I swear they're either robots or insane.
I will say, having watched a lot of his content as white noise to fall asleep to, he does explain the very basic mechanics quite well, and quite often. It's not what he does, but he does regularly give out solid advice for new players in the middle of his 500% no pause runs.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I got extremely lucky that an exotic goods trader showed up just in time to sell me 1 glitterworld med. Without that infection would have been absolutely fatal. It was a lucky roll they pulled thru even with that.

If i had any foresight i also would have bought enough gold and plasteel to make a multi-analyzer, but gently caress it this is way getting ahead of things. Now i have way too much food and not nearly enough research. Better that than dead.

How do pets work? If i have a heard of iguanas is it a good idea to make some be pets?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Party In My Diapee posted:

Even though i've tried RimWorld many times and know how the early game works, i still feel like i quickly end up in constant disaster response. In my opinion everything takes too long so i can barely get food butchered/gathered and cooked in time, nothing ever can get cleaned, and right around the corner is a wounded or angry colonist, or some fire or disease. At the same time i need to chop wood or to build or to craft. I might just have too few pawns i guess, but i wish everything wasn't a race against time before a real problem like a big raid has even begun. I haven't know about the bedrest thing before though, that might solve a lot if they stop laying in bed all day.

Others have given you good mechanical advice that I don't need to repeat, so I'll offer you some vibe-based advice instead: Honestly, this isn't actually as big of a problem as it seems.

Rimworld is pretty much designed for you to always feel like there's more poo poo to be done than you can do quickly and more issues that need to be addressed than you can address in the immediate term, especially early on in a colony's life where you have to build all of your infrastructure up from nothing while having few pawns so everyone is having to wear multiple hats. You're not necessarily failing or falling behind in this kind of scenario; as long as you're managing to provide the most basic bare bones sustenance to keep your pawns alive and you have a basic roofed structure for people to sleep in, it's okay for stuff to take some time to get around to if a wrench gets tossed into your plans because someone bit someone's leg off because they were forced to eat without a table or because three out of four pawns caught gut worms.

Even raids you don't think you can beat aren't necessarily the end of the world - worst case, you can up sticks and just leave the map. Mechanoid cluster with 3 automortars suddenly drops on your map and your most advanced weapon is a rusty SMG you picked up from a dead guy? If poo poo sucks, hit the bricks!

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
In terms of mechanics, pets are a mixed bag. Having a colonist bond with an animal gives them a mood boost, but by the same token losing that pet gives a mood debuff. Usually it's kind of a tradeoff, but if you can keep your pets safe through judicious use of zoning, it can work out to be a good deal for keeping your animal handler's mood up. Usually it's just them, since you only get the chance to bond when training or healing, so your doctor might pick up a pet too.

In terms of things like iguanas, I would avoid it, because they tend to be extremely fragile and targeted by predators for hunting. Personally I'd never go anything smaller than a cougar or a dog for hauling.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also note that every sort of raid except mechanoids and insects will give up and wander off once they kidnapped enough people, done enough damage, or stolen enough stuff. This might still be devestating but as long as a few colonists run away keep from being downed you can probably recover. Mechanoids won't stop until everything is destroyed and everyone is dead so if you're outmatched the only real option is to flee the map ASAP. Bugs are equally bloodthirsty but aren't quite as instantly aggressive about it, as long as you don't get too close to the nest you can sneak a fairly well-loaded caravan away without any casualties. Obviously it's much easier to just win but this is Rimworld. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have a specific thing about the game you don't like, just mod it out or change the difficulty/scenario.

If you want a more peaceful game for example you could turn down resource collection rates, make raids much easier, and add something like self preservation to make enemies run away more. Maybe disable mechanoid raids.

If starting is a problem you can just make yourself start with more food. It's supposed to be fun so if something would make it more fun, just add it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

How do pets work? If i have a heard of iguanas is it a good idea to make some be pets?

Animals can form bonds of affection when a handler is tending their injuries or when the animal is first tamed. You can designate that pawn as the animal's master for a small mood bonus. That's just about the full extent of what you can do

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You need colonists with Animals skill, although the amount of skill needed varies with each kind of animal - the long-domesticated animals like dogs and donkeys need zero skill for handling. Most animals will require a Pen, a fully-enclosed area that can be surrounded by walls (natural or constructed) and/or fences, and containing a Pen Marker. Build these first, before you tame any animals. You probably also want to build some kind of covered shelter for them, with sleeping spots or animal beds. You can use the 'animal flap' door type to enclose this and keep temperature regulated; animals can pass this but not regular doors or gates so they will go in and out as they like. They will create filth wherever they wander, especially in enclosures, so you can build straw floors that basically soak up the pee and poo and require a lot less cleaning labor. You can also set up a shelf or two with some animal food (you can make Kibble at the butcher table, or feed grazers vegetable stuff or haygrass). Might want to have a shelf with a stack of herbal medicine in there too to treat wounded or sick animals.

Animal handling is done in two forms, Taming and Training. Training is working with a tamed animal and maintaining its basic Tamed state, as well as training it in more advanced tasks (like guarding the handler, attacking enemies, fetching wounded or hauling). Taming is the process of converting a wild animal to a tame one. Each animal type has a Wildness stat that makes it harder to both Tame and Train them, the higher it is. This is offset by handler skill. Iguanas are not domesticated at all so they require more handler skill and labor, but you can tame them and have a herd of lizards if you want, and they will even lay eggs that you can use for food! Not all animals can be trained for advanced tasks so no war-iguanas for you, sorry.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Animals#Animal_husbandry

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OwlFancier posted:

If you have a specific thing about the game you don't like, just mod it out or change the difficulty/scenario.

If you want a more peaceful game for example you could turn down resource collection rates, make raids much easier, and add something like self preservation to make enemies run away more. Maybe disable mechanoid raids.

If starting is a problem you can just make yourself start with more food. It's supposed to be fun so if something would make it more fun, just add it.
Yeah, the game actually lets you change the setup a lot, even in vanilla. Want to start with the Crashlanded scenario but get more than 3 starting colonists? You can just change that. Want to start with a specific animal? You can do that. You can set it to be the values of a given difficulty but tweak one thing to be easier/harder as you see fit. You can start with specific items/buildings(although be aware that starting with, say, a generator results in an unmovable building wherever your pawns spawn at the start).

Even keeping mods relatively minimal("minimal" being relative, since a lot of people have dozens and dozens of mods), it's easy to mod away annoyances. I felt like pawns are way too messy by default, so I grabbed a few mods and now there's a much more reasonable level of filth spawning instead. (without it being zero, because I don't object to it as a mechanic, just that default pawns are apparently all Pigpen)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What's a good setup for keeping chickens? I have a fenced pen with a heated building but the building isn't part of the pen and I don't know how to fix that so my chickens lay eggs outside and it's a race against time to carry them indoors before they freeze.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Tarnop posted:

What's a good setup for keeping chickens? I have a fenced pen with a heated building but the building isn't part of the pen and I don't know how to fix that so my chickens lay eggs outside and it's a race against time to carry them indoors before they freeze.

Is the door on the building facing the pen an animal flap? Have you put an egg box inside the heated building?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah put an animal flap on the heated building and then put an egg box inside it. game tape solved. until you run into how annoying it is to manage the explosion of chicks, the distinction between fertilized and unfertilized eggs, and the blossom of work involved in auto-slaughtering dozens upon dozens of animals to keep the ranching operation stable.

chickens are good, don't get me wrong, but honestly i just keep horses at this point.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I like chickens and cows because you can just kill all the males once you reach the level you want to bother with. Sure, if you want to scale it you need to keep a male around to breed more eventually, but this is my answer to that: don't. Get as many as you want to support and then be done with it.

Once you have it set up it's an easy and passive way to turn grass and hay into animal protein without worrying about slaughtering or breeding anything. Just let the eggs and milk flow.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Once I have enough birds I just eat all but one male and then put the last one in cryptosleep just in case I need it later.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i prefer horses because i want to use them anyway for traveling, they are extremely nutrition efficient for generating meat, they also generate plainleather, and the auto-slaughter is on the lighter side of demands and also trains Animals.

they also sell great to exotic goods traders. more than once i've decided i didn't want to pay for a bunch of neurotrainers, so i just let them have all the foals instead.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
camels are like horses but you also get milk

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The milk is nice but the tradeoff is that camels are slower, carry less, and eat more than horses. Still pretty good though!

What you really want are elephants, they're like horses if horses could be trained to haul poo poo around on the map and stomp your enemies into red paste. The upkeep on them is really high but it's hilarious when your lone trader gets ambushed and sics 4 elephants on some poor dude with a rusty knife, or like an infestation happens and when the bugs come up the nearest hallway is filled shoulder-to-shoulder with elephants

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rhinos and polar bears are pretty fun animals too I just wish they could be used as pack animals.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this is THE MOD for pretty much any aspect of "gosh I wish specific animal X was tweaked in specific way Y"

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2587157544

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I fed a dead raider to the iguana farm, they ate him completely in <2 days

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Complications posted:

Is the door on the building facing the pen an animal flap? Have you put an egg box inside the heated building?

The existence of animal flap is what I was missing, thanks

This sounds great and probably better than my current solution which I think I read on the wiki: shove them in a cave and Molotov it when it's full

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Usually I dig them graves or throw em in the bog, but this time it's extreme desert and I guess I'm lucky to have the 5 iguanas. Had to zone them so the only food they could get to was that one guy tho, they'll eat potatoes no problem

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Tarnop posted:

This sounds great and probably better than my current solution which I think I read on the wiki: shove them in a cave and Molotov it when it's full

The wiki also makes a good point that pigs are the most efficient way to convert long pork into pork.

I play with the Revia race mod who can sacrifice/consume bodies to gain power. It takes a lot of bodies but it's definitely worth it at full strength.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm playing vanilla right now since it's still my first colony, somehow. If the game continues to hold my interest then I'll try a tribal run with some QOL mods, then buy Biotech and do a couple of games of that, then go full mod conflict nightmare mode

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tarnop posted:

full mod conflict nightmare mode

That's just rimworld

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i occasionally get a popup about a prisoner that died in an escape attempt being eaten by my wargs and it always gives me a brief start

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Flesh Forge posted:

this is THE MOD for pretty much any aspect of "gosh I wish specific animal X was tweaked in specific way Y"

Cool I can make capybaras viable pet animals now

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a great mod, only changes exactly what you want in exactly the way you want it changed

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Flesh Forge posted:

Read this post, checked out the mod, went "holy poo poo this is exactly what I needed!", went to subscribe, turns out I'm already subscribed to it. Welp.

Also add me to the list of people who'll just go to dev mode and erase things from existence if something breaks or feels particularly unfair or I just don't like it for some reason. It's thematically appropriate too; an archotech did it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think in all the hundreds of hours i've played rimworld i've only erased something once, but it was a big once

i had a mechanoid raid that was literally nothing but centipedes, like DOZENS of centipedes, coming from 3 directions, and they were all attacking immediately. i checked the raid stats and realized that the budgeted wealth for that raid was almost 1.2MM, while my colony wealth was about 400k.

i resolved that it was a bug and just deleted the centipedes.

at some point i will either get a mod or do some of my own modding to try to make mechanoids more interesting, and among that effort will be "making centipedes have somewhat less than a jillion HP"