Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

This is why I wish parking was way more of a focal issue. You get that massively different type of city development based entirely on your parking policy. When its assumed 99% of people will be driving to the theatre, you get these huge big-box like complexes out in the burbs where land is cheap for the huge parking swamps that surround them. When you know most people will be arriving via foot, bike, transit, you generally see big multi-screen theatre in the city core because they need to be in close proximity to as many customers as possible since they aren't relying on cars.

Well, good news since it sounds like parking is way more of a focal issue, given there's a whole system there now and no pocket cars. When you turn on the everyone must have a parking space thing in TM:PE it changes a whole lot of your design. Though the City Planner Plays analysis video pointed out a bunch of buildings clearly have entrances for underground parking built in, which sucks since I want to try making a city with literally no parking available.

E: Thinking so much about C:S lately now has me mad that Building Styles was never fixed and Prop Anarchy wasn't either, at least last I played. Props vanished every time I loaded in. Without those two I don't even want to play. Plopping every single building doesn't sound like much fun.

E2: Hey props work now. I'm mad about how the city I was working on looks though so I'm going to start new.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You can build proper suburbs but the cims that live there spend all of their disposable income on therapy or go insane

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tarnop posted:

You can build proper suburbs but the cims that live there spend all of their disposable income on therapy or go insane

They need PvP in this, let me setup my inner city workers to all do remote work therapy draining funds from another players suburb.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not much in the new dev insight video, but someone noticed a nice detail about scale:

This apartment building is listed as containing 60 households. So, much better in terms of numbers than SC1.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 13, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SC1 plays much better, I think, with realistically scaled occupancy, it really makes mass transit a lot more valuable because you can fit a shitload of people into a square kilometer if you build high density.

Hopefully the same will be true for SC2 if they're doing better scale. And that's also your incentive to not rely on cars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also explicit that at release there are the two city styles, so there will be more. I feel pretty confident that will be open for modders. I hope that you can organize it yourself--what I'm not confident about is 200 different people making Japanese buildings all putting them into the same style category instead of making their own styles and you have to use MINE because they're MY buildings and it's my copyright argh!!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Somebody was wondering about dezoning: It is confirmed that changing zoning or Dezoning will despawn wrong kind of buildings.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

right click dezoning is another wishlist item checked off for me

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well CS2 is certainly shaping up to be a day 1 purchase it seems.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I hadn't noticed before but it seems styles are attached to the zoning type. Like, you'd have a zone named "north american high density residential". I wonder if modders could leverage that to make custom zoning types. Probably not new mixed zoning types, but for example "No Parking Commercial" or "Height restricted" or whatever.
Which reminds me height restriction should be a thing since airports enforce it, I wonder if it can be applied manually.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 14, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A zone being medium density instead of high density is kinda just height restricted high density.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

All plopping isn't so bad I guess. Takes longer but I have become enlightened and questioned why I am in such a hurry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kyte posted:

I hadn't noticed before but it seems styles are attached to the zoning type. Like, you'd have a zone named "north american high density residential".

If you look on the left you can see the toggle that switches the zone tool between the the two themes. It's not clear if they've set it up so that a zone on the ground has separate attributes of 'zone type' and 'theme', or if they've just implemented them as totally separate zone types with UI candy covering that up. Either way would be a perfectly valid way to program it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MikeJF posted:

A zone being medium density instead of high density is kinda just height restricted high density.
I would assume/hope that there'll be a "no skyscrapers" ordinance that you can toggle per neighborhood, and that medium can get tall too. Although I dunno what a low density skyscraper would look like. Mega-mansions?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's that dude in India with a personal skyscraper house.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Medium density seems to top out at around 10 floors. I think that anything that you could call a tower is high density.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BOB is a neat mod.

My orange orchards have become bananas.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

MikeJF posted:

If you look on the left you can see the toggle that switches the zone tool between the the two themes. It's not clear if they've set it up so that a zone on the ground has separate attributes of 'zone type' and 'theme', or if they've just implemented them as totally separate zone types with UI candy covering that up. Either way would be a perfectly valid way to program it.

Yeah I know of the theme switch. But the fact the zones have "North American" in the name and description, but the low-rent apartments don't, makes it look like they're actual different zone types, not just a flag in the zone's data.
(plus it'd be easier to organize in terms of UI and data if they're separate types and the theme switch is a filter in disguise)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eO3Bp5MnJQ

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 17, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hi, hopefully, a goon expert city planner can help me figure out a mechanic here for me. In this screenshot, it shows that there is a fuckton of eligible University students. But my University only ever maxes out at 800-1000 students. It has been at this level ever since I hit around 30k population. I am now close to 40k and the bar is now in the red yet the University is obviously not full. Is it a range issue? I have a subway stop right next to the University. If it is a range issue, its wierd then how the capacity is so high since it seems unlikely you can ever cram enough people in its range (road accessibility highlight) for its capacity to matter.

Have Parks, Green City, After Dark, Parks and Plaza DLC if it matters. Thanks!

edit: Also the wiki says the blue bar in RICO is actually a desire for leisure. I made a big stretch of "leisure" commercial buildings and the demand is still the same. Should I zone more? Or will parks (ploppable and customizable like zoos and city parks) satisfy this demand too? Googling also didn't help much with this one.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 16, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How's your elementary and high school situation? The university bar shows everyone potentially able to go there, but if they haven't gone through the other schools they'll never actually attend.

If those are fine then I dunno. I think people will come from anywhere. The range that buildings show with the road highlight is the range where it provides land value/happiness benefits, buildings don't have a service range like SC4. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The blue RICO bar is definitely commercial, not just specifically leisure. Although it's worth keeping in mind that the RICO bar is slow to update, and changes take a little time to propagate out.

As for the university problem, it's reading to me like the bar is saying "hey in theory the city doesn't have the capacity to educate every university-eligible student," - which is true! You have theoretically 6,000 eligible cims, and only capacity for 4,500. But as you're seeing, it's not really an issue because enrollment is much, much lower. As for why enrollment is so low, according to a reddit post:

exculcator on Reddit posted:

Be aware that when the game reports the number of people eligible to go to university, it is lying.

What it actually reports is the number of people of have received a high school education "well educated", but not a university one ("highly educated").

However, of those "eligible" people, only ones in the young adults age category can actually attend university in-game and thus be actually eligible as university students. None of the (usually many more) well-educated adults or seniors in your city are actually eligible, even though the game tells you they are.

You need to dive into the demographics to see how many well educated young adults you have to see how many students you can actually reasonably expect to attract (and mostly likely you won't get all of them even, depending on what your policies are).

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

DoubleNegative posted:

The blue RICO bar is definitely commercial, not just specifically leisure. Although it's worth keeping in mind that the RICO bar is slow to update, and changes take a little time to propagate out.

As for the university problem, it's reading to me like the bar is saying "hey in theory the city doesn't have the capacity to educate every university-eligible student," - which is true! You have theoretically 6,000 eligible cims, and only capacity for 4,500. But as you're seeing, it's not really an issue because enrollment is much, much lower. As for why enrollment is so low, according to a reddit post:

Grand Fromage posted:

How's your elementary and high school situation? The university bar shows everyone potentially able to go there, but if they haven't gone through the other schools they'll never actually attend.

If those are fine then I dunno. I think people will come from anywhere. The range that buildings show with the road highlight is the range where it provides land value/happiness benefits, buildings don't have a service range like SC4. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Thanks for the insights. My Elementary and High School coverage is very good, well within capacity on both and almost all neighborhoods are within range of one or both. I'll stop worrying about the bar in the red then. The OCD in me was getting annoyed by it. Sometimes I find myself building extra stuff just because I can't stand seeing some Office building sitting at level 2.999999999999~ so I just plaster the area till its all maxed out.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
City services:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/development-diary-5-city-services.1593161/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV69lbK43OQ

New: Communications, AKA internet towers.
New: Welfare office.
New: power transformer stations, appear to be required to convert high-voltage power from plants into low-voltage power that buildings can use.
The shot of the geothermal plant has a bunch of pipes all over the place, unclear if they're manually built or part of the plop.
Custom landfill borders, like the new farms.
Upgrading service buildings increases their coverage range.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 17, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

quote:

Prisons function also as production facilities, producing resources used by manufacturing companies in the city.

:911:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Love how the welfare office is the most depressing brutalist brick monstrosity in the entire game. I wonder it's only like that for the US theme.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 17, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ah, good, so building upgrades can be 'adds something onto the existing building without changing the footprint' or 'you have to plop an extension' depending on what's appropriate.

For certain services you can set fees for usage so you can be an american medical dystopia or scandinavian commie healthcare state.

Oh, fantastic, the external connections will provide services like healthcare and deathcare and police and fire will come in by the highway too, just very slowly. That'll help the initial phases of the city. But if they go to college elsewhere they might just never come back. Also, good universities in your city can attract students that'll stay after they become top-level educated.

You draw district borders with lines instead of painting blobs.

There's an autobahn 'no-limits' city ordinance for highways if you want.

Available district policies:

Available city policies:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 17, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Groundwater now has specific deposits that are vulnerable to ground pollution and trees will actually grow bigger over time, love both of those.

E: Some services actually charge pops fees, so you can decrease water fees to increase pop happiness but increase water usage, or vice versa. You can set roadside parking/transit fees, too, to push one or the other.

E2: Only 5 city policies and 7 district policies, which seems like a downgrade but they're all impactful at least

E3: this diary was so massive that I'm wondering what's even left to cover in next week's electricity and water one. I guess they'll finally say if water physics are still a thing or not

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 17, 2023

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well for one they didn't mention the electric substations we've been seeing in the footage so there's that at the least.
Also probably some more detail into groundwater and how it's affected by the city.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Pigbuster posted:

I guess they'll finally say if water physics are still a thing or not

I swear if I can't make a green power cascade by stacking dams descending down from a mountain topped by a lake of poo, this game's forever dead to me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

pointlessone posted:

I swear if I can't make a green power cascade by stacking dams descending down from a mountain topped by a lake of poo, this game's forever dead to me.

There should be an energy cost for pumping poo poo uphill.
No perpetual motion machines in my city builder :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Person on the bench at the start of the video doesn't know that I just moved a bridge and there's a tidal wave of poopwater heading their way.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

'New: power transformer stations, appear to be required to convert high-voltage power from plants into low-voltage power that buildings can use.'

I'd actually really like it if utilities and they're placement actually mattered.

Game is looking good, if all this can be delivered on

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Weirdly few policies. I forget what came with the vanilla game though. I wonder if those will be accessible to modders this time.

I like removing the direct effects of service buildings, you are encouraged to build so many of those in CS. Fewer with more effect is good.

E: Also a fan of that giant statue of Lenin pondering his orb.

E2: I hate that their instagram Q&A wastes so many posts answering questions that were in the loving video. "Will service buildings be upgradeable??" Just ignore that question! Answer a different one! :argh:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 17, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

I like removing the direct effects of service buildings, you are encouraged to build so many of those in CS. Fewer with more effect is good.

It also sounds like it does more than just reduce how many services you want to place.

quote:

Furthermore0, not all citizens have the same needs. Senior citizens have more free time and value places where they can spend that free time. Families with children on the other hand value areas with schools. Working-age citizens seek residence in areas that have quick connections to workplaces. And companies value services that increase their Efficiency and profit margin. Citizens’ needs can be inspected from their household’s Selected Info Panel (SIP) by hovering over the family’s Happiness icon. Similarly, companies' needs can be inspected in their SIP, hovering over their Efficiency value.

Each age group and household sizes having different preferences encourages actually paying at least some attention to the design of your city and where buildings go beyond green lines on the road and that's really good. You want to do things like pair up low rent apartments with universities and colleges because the university's students typically don't have children and aren't super rich, while building an elementary school next to the university won't really make anyone living in the low rent housing happy because families don't live in those types of apartments.

CS2 might actually be an interesting game

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

These people. Literally every question was in today's video. Don't answer these. Or if you're not going to provide new information, don't have the loving Q&A to begin with.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Does anyone here frequent non-video game city planning/general city stuff content? Maybe it’s a weird question but, despite living in the outskirts of a decently sized city for almost half my life now I’ve never really thought about it came to be/where it’s going etc. a whole lot, and getting hyped for CS2 has me interested in the concept more broadly.

YouTubers, blogs, podcasts, whatever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anno posted:

Does anyone here frequent non-video game city planning/general city stuff content? Maybe it’s a weird question but, despite living in the outskirts of a decently sized city for almost half my life now I’ve never really thought about it came to be/where it’s going etc. a whole lot, and getting hyped for CS2 has me interested in the concept more broadly.

Here's a fun video on parking law
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUNXFHpUhu8

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Looks like electricity is a lot more complex now. Batteries are obvious, but I'm interested in the bottlenecks. I'm guessing you can't just run a single power line from your plant to your city.
I imagine high voltage lines can carry much more electricity than low voltage but can't be directly connected to buildings, which is where transformers come in. Batteries probably kick in when your power plant's efficiency drops (no wind, no water, no fuel, etc) and production drops below consumption. Perhaps they will model overproduction as well? That'd be kind of a hassle tbh.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Anno posted:

Read Walkable City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Anno posted:

For a bit of both check out City Planner Plays, the YouTube channel. The guy is an urban planner and plays be CS. He has lots of videos about urban planning and when he's building his cities he talks a lot about the subject. Good voice for it, too.

And read The Economy of Cities by Jacobs.