Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Data Graham posted:

No rules international street fighting

Maybe they can lose all their money like Ken from SF6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
A lot of the ultra wealthy have pledged to donate 99% of their wealth eventually (Zuckerberg, Gates, Buffett - not Musk).

This gets reported as a noble endeavour but never asks the obvious question: why not donate it, or say, 95% of it, now? They pay lip service to knowing that hoarding it all is in fact bad, but seem to think it’s just to hoard it for a while.

If it’s about the power conferred by that wealth, we can take Zuck as an example: his wealth is tied up in his ownership of Facebook, I’m sure some corporate law pro can design an instrument that allows him to own/control Facebook, essentially retaining his influence and power, while giving the economic benefits of that control directly to a charity.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Donating 99% of your wealth sounds pretty good until you hear that it goes into a charity that is owned and operated by the obscenely rich individual. Then you realize it's just more self- dealing.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Amphigory posted:

You're all forgetting extremely rich people already structure their finances to avoid the rules

None of these suggestions will work

Yep, you're the first person to notice and mention this! Good job!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's true, soon you will get 2x the $0 you already make

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kazil posted:

I'm no math wizard, but 2 times zero is..... (does calculations on big whiteboard).... zero.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Donating 99% of your wealth sounds pretty good until you hear that it goes into a charity that is owned and operated by the obscenely rich individual. Then you realize it's just more self- dealing.

Yeah, which is why breathless reporting when these things are announced is so loving annoying. That type of “donation” should not be allowed to be described as charitable or philanthropic. At the least there should be another word which makes evident the nature of the donation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Halisnacks posted:

Yeah, which is why breathless reporting when these things are announced is so loving annoying. That type of “donation” should not be allowed to be described as charitable or philanthropic. At the least there should be another word which makes evident the nature of the donation.

There is

Tax fraud

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

steinrokkan posted:

There is

Tax fraud

Technically not. They should fix that.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

redshirt posted:

I'm no math wizard, but 2 times zero is..... (does calculations on big whiteboard).... zero.

But what if you divide by zero?!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Mr Beast ftw

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Technically not. They should fix that.

I think a global way forward on taxing the wealthy is on the list for just after figuring out the climate emergency.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Honestly, is there a reason charities are tax exempt in the first place? I haven't even thought about it before, but if a charity takes in 1mil of cash and goods then distributes 800k of stuff, isn't only the 200k overhead/salary taxable? I get that there are also things like research institutes and private libraries, but.... so what? Not in the sense that they're not worthwhile, but what actual harm or difference would it do?

Grants and whatnot still exist for public good and local governments could still choose to just directly fund things. Genuine question, I feel like I have a blind blind spot

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Honestly, is there a reason charities are tax exempt in the first place? I haven't even thought about it before, but if a charity takes in 1mil of cash and goods then distributes 800k of stuff, isn't only the 200k overhead/salary taxable? I get that there are also things like research institutes and private libraries, but.... so what? Grants and whatnot still exist for public good and local governments could still choose to just directly fund things

A charity by definition is not making profits, it is generating surpluses (or losses) that it carries forward to the following year. The funders of a charity have no claim on the net assets of the organisation (ie they don’t own it).

Charities’ employees still pay income tax and charities pay payroll taxes on their wages.

Conceptually you could tax the surpluses of a charity but that would make it more expensive to operate charities, probably discourage some donations (“why should X percent of my donation go to the government?”), and probably overall hamper the charitable sector.

I don’t think it’s a problem at all not to tax charities, but we should be stricter on what organisations are deemed charities. Like private schools in the U.K. are deemed charities.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A sharply progressive wealth tax fixes a lot of this. Tax assets over $100m at like 10% a year and a society altering level of wealth becomes more of a temporary condition.

FDR wanted to tax 90 percent above 1 million and he was the moderate social dem. The window for politics has shifted so much.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shageletic posted:

FDR wanted to tax 90 percent above 1 million and he was the moderate social dem. The window for politics has shifted so much.

The 1950's the CHUDS are so desperate to return to had 90% tax rates at the top.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elon Musk is a dumbshit lol.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

redshirt posted:

The 1950's the CHUDS are so desperate to return to had 90% tax rates at the top.

They just mean they want to return to a time before the Civil Rights movement, second-wave feminism, and the gay rights movement.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I used to think that I was vastly underqualified to be a president or CEO.

Now I realize I'm overqualified.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

They just mean they want to return to a time before the Civil Rights movement, second-wave feminism, and the gay rights movement.

That's too sophisticated. They just mean the fictional world of Happy Days.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

redshirt posted:

That's too sophisticated. They just mean the fictional world of Happy Days.

🎶Sunday Monday tax the rich
Tuesday Wednesday kill the rich
Thursday Friday eat the rich
Saturday what a day
making GBS threads out all the rich 🎶

(it's a wip)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"Rules-based international order" is a buzzword (buzzphrase?) that gets thrown around a lot in foreign policy circles. It essentially refers to the US/"Western" idea that all countries should promote a peaceful coexistence by having a shared set of rules, rights, and dispute-resolving mechanisms that everyone agrees upon. This is in contrast to the Russian and Chinese idea that they should be allowed to do whatever the gently caress they want and bully the countries near them because it's "their" region, and other countries should stay the gently caress out and stop telling them what to do.

I am definitely oversimplifying the gently caress out of this, but tl;dr: if you ever see someone use the phrase "rules-based international order", they're referring to the US and/or "the West". It's not necessarily derogatory (I've seen it used positively), but it's definitely being used that way here.

It's the liberal order which based on your political inclinations can point to the immense weath exploitation of third world countries by the West, solidified by orthodox economic institutions like the World Bank and the IMF.

It's the reason why Chinese loans to countries in South America, exploitative or not, has been stated as a threat to the "rules-based international order". Like, who are making these rules, and why

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shageletic posted:

It's the liberal order which based on your political inclinations can point to the immense weath exploitation of third world countries by the West, solidified by orthodox economic institutions like the World Bank and the IMF.

It's the reason why Chinese loans to countries in South America, exploitative or not, has been stated as a threat to the "rules-based international order". Like, who are making these rules, and why

The USA, to enforce our global hegemony.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I remember when the CEO of the huge French multinational I used to work for came to visit our regional office.
There was a little bit of catering in the canteen - just some canapés, and a few bottles of wine.
CEO guy and his fellow execs loving had that wine table surrounded.
I don't think anyone else got a single glass.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

ben shapino posted:

Mr Beast ftw

Tax this sick filth

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"Rules-based international order" is a buzzword (buzzphrase?) that gets thrown around a lot in foreign policy circles. It essentially refers to the US/"Western" idea that all countries should promote a peaceful coexistence by having a shared set of rules, rights, and dispute-resolving mechanisms that everyone agrees upon. This is in contrast to the Russian and Chinese idea that they should be allowed to do whatever the gently caress they want and bully the countries near them because it's "their" region, and other countries should stay the gently caress out and stop telling them what to do.

I am definitely oversimplifying the gently caress out of this, but tl;dr: if you ever see someone use the phrase "rules-based international order", they're referring to the US and/or "the West". It's not necessarily derogatory (I've seen it used positively), but it's definitely being used that way here.

When I call for you to go along with our rules-based international order It is assumed that "rules" in question are to be set mostly by me, not by you.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
A lot if not most wealthy now get around taxes for estates by putting it all into a trust. The trust "owns" everything and the trustees get a stipend that is normally under the taxable amount to "live off of". They want to buy a house or a new car? Well the trust buys it and it is technically owned by the trust. It is actually one of the big reasons why you saw the GOP massively against the Build Back Better Act as it would have made sweeping changes to tax implications for trusts and beneficiaries. The estate tax exemption would have been significantly reduced, for example. In addition, the law would have treated the transfer of property between a grantor and trust as a taxable event.

Trusts are basically used as a shield for the wealthy to protect their money and assets from taxes as well to get around other laws, for example firearms ownership.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ben shapino posted:

Mr Beast ftw

Your avatar looking less ironic by the post

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I have one (1) bluesky invite, who wants it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

El Jeffe posted:

I have one (1) bluesky invite, who wants it

sup

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also musk himself would fail some of the crazier CAPTCHAs.

like the ones where you do simple dice sums.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

didnt the taxman unalive himeself anyway, all this tax talk is moot

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

PM'd

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Djarum posted:

A lot if not most wealthy now get around taxes for estates by putting it all into a trust. The trust "owns" everything and the trustees get a stipend that is normally under the taxable amount to "live off of". They want to buy a house or a new car? Well the trust buys it and it is technically owned by the trust. It is actually one of the big reasons why you saw the GOP massively against the Build Back Better Act as it would have made sweeping changes to tax implications for trusts and beneficiaries. The estate tax exemption would have been significantly reduced, for example. In addition, the law would have treated the transfer of property between a grantor and trust as a taxable event.

Trusts are basically used as a shield for the wealthy to protect their money and assets from taxes as well to get around other laws, for example firearms ownership.

I trust you have references to back this up?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Amphigory posted:

You're all forgetting extremely rich people already structure their finances to avoid the rules

None of these suggestions will work

Actually, if governments weren’t explicitly run to protect capital, they could put in place laws that would prevent people “structuring” their finances.

You know, the rich could be like the rest of us and simply own some things, earn some money, and have a bank account with some of that money in it.

It just requires the political will to do it, which I admit is not easy to find without some sort of massive popular uprising to force change.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Another genius mot from the mememaster

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Just....a honking poster

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

kazil posted:

Another genius mot from the mememaster

Elon say funny number

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
This thread has gone wholly off the rails into bloodlust so stop that please thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

kazil posted:

I am sure advertisers love to hear that Elon thinks bot farming is "trivial" and that he has laid off the anti spam/botting teams