Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

That's a really good idea, thank you. I remembered an ancient Knights of the Dinner Table comic where they recoiled in terror at the discount paint job on a mini done with a Q Tip that created a hairy abomination so I kind of knew that wasn't a good idea but thanks also for not just laughing that I even said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Southern Heel posted:

I added some burnt grass to the bases, I'm not entirely sure if I like it – I wanted to keep the situation low, but I think it has mostly just obscured the texture. Aforementioned hierophant is also there, I did a combination of zenithal and white dry brushing - I'm going to try to do more blending on this: pink to purple, and navy to turquoise. In the end, I just did a Hail Mary with pinning the legs on and it seems to have worked okay.

The ground flock really helps. That's like the perfect level of flocking to be wild grass / small shrubs.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Really enjoying this Inu Kingdoms bust. Lots of open space to play around in, and the eyes are huge so it's surprisingly easy to get a good result.

Also, the lack of gribblies and small size make it a fantastic little project that's relatively fast to finish.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I really appreciate the kind words about my nids, chums! I think I’m going to have Marines as a house army, I may be pre-Viking RT space wolves

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

I added some burnt grass to the bases, I'm not entirely sure if I like it – I wanted to keep the situation low, but I think it has mostly just obscured the texture. Aforementioned hierophant is also there, I did a combination of zenithal and white dry brushing - I'm going to try to do more blending on this: pink to purple, and navy to turquoise. In the end, I just did a Hail Mary with pinning the legs on and it seems to have worked okay.

Can I ask what brand of flocking you used? I'm trying to figure out bases for my 6mm stuff and the scatter I have looks off scale for 28mm nevermind 6.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Hey all, lets cool it on the recasts. I'm an artist, sculptor specifically, recasting done in China and elsewhere, but especially China, is insanely damaging to so many people. I've known too many artists and makers that were ruined because their stuff was getting recast and sold cheaper from China. Artists put in a ton of work in speculating that their initial investment of time and resources will pay off over time, when someone recasts that work they stole all that time and labour the artist put in.

This would probably be easier to sympathize with if GW wasn't going all-in in crediting all work to "the Games Workshop studio". It's not now quite difficult to figure out who sculpted a model you like, who painted it for the box illustration you like, who wrote the game rules you enjoy, who illustrated the game book with those rules, etc. If GW is going to pull that kind of nonsense for fear of a Duncan Rhodes or Andy Chambers, then people are not going to care much about that faceless corporation's welfare.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 16, 2023

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I've got a couple of questions, recently got back into painting after remembering it was my favourite part of playing warhammer as a kid.

Firstly I've got this dragon but it's wings are folded too far in. I've tried putting it in boiling water, moving the wings then setting it in the freezer but it curled back after I took it out. What could I do to spread it's wings a bit?

And then I've got some trolls and an ogre I want to make ice trolls. I've got a nice blue undercoat and I want their skin to look frosty but I'm not sure what's the best way to do that.

Edit: making this post inspired me to final make a good photo box so I could get better pictures

So they're quite blotchy, I like the colour but I want to smooth it out and give it a white frosting without losing too much of the turquoise.

Lord Banana fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 16, 2023

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Lord Banana posted:

And then I've got some trolls and an ogre I want to make ice trolls. I've got a nice blue undercoat and I want their skin to look frosty but I'm not sure what's the best way to do that.

A light white drybrush over your blue skin should give you the frost rime effect.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

This would probably be easier to sympathize with if GW wasn't going all-in in crediting all work to "the Games Workshop studio". It's not quite difficult to figure out who sculpted a model you like, who painted it for the box illustration you like, who wrote the game rules you enjoy, who illustrated the game book with those rules, etc. If GW is going to pull that kind of nonsense for fear of a Duncan Rhodes or Andy Chambers, then people are not going to care much about that faceless corporation's welfare.

I get what you are saying, but that is a legitimate way to operate a company. I don't like it, you don't like it, artists should be credited imo, but at the end of the day it is legit. I cut my teeth in studios that operate that way, I sculpt the piece, the studio name goes on it. It is a system for working with artists that has its origins in the medieval guild system, but informally goes back further. I'm now at the point in my career where I don't work that way anymore, I demand my name goes onto work I make for others. Credit to the company I work for right now, they want my name on those pieces. I think GW would actually benefit from promoting their artists, but that is a risk and maintaining total control of the brand is always going to win out for huge companies. Like I didn't know who John Blanche was until I was an artist myself. They really should have had him out front and central. Gw should give artists full credit, but lets also recognize that GW is a massive manufacturer that hasn't outsourced its operation. They could easily shift development and production into China or elsewhere, so while not great, they are by no means terrible.

Recasters aren't going to put GW under, but feeding the recasting ecosystem is absolutely going to put many smaller producers out of business. Plus, if it does hurt GW, they aren't going to shoulder that cost, they will pass it onto us, and they could develop less products potentially, which hurts artists that depend on them for work. Feeding the recasters will hollow out the hobby over time leaving only the biggest fish alive at the end. If you really must buy recasts, buy them from someone, don't get them from the massive overseas operations (especially china). They prey on all kinds of artists and have ruined people I know's lives. My partner was heavily involved in the Ball Jointed Doll hobby (I also taught people how to convert resin casting to porcelain casting to help combat recasting), the cottage industry of BJD producers is gone due to recasting. Hundreds of small artist run companies went under due to recasting. The hobby is essentially gone because no one but the biggest companies can operate in an environment where everything is recast and sold for a fraction of the cost.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I get what you are saying, but that is a legitimate way to operate a company. I don't like it, you don't like it, artists should be credited imo, but at the end of the day it is legit.

"Legit" in the sense that it is not technically illegal, perhaps. I don't see any reason to pretend that it's okay, especially when it's so obviously a reaction to ex-GW people who went on to do their own work later. They weren't this bad about credits even in the worst of the bad GW days, but now they've gone out of their way to scour writing and sculpting and painting credits even when leaving it alone would just be free.

The rest of this post is just bog-standard corporate apologia. If they're not paying you, why post like that? They have CM and PR people for that kind of thing.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

"Legit" in the sense that it is not technically illegal, perhaps. I don't see any reason to pretend that it's okay, especially when it's so obviously a reaction to ex-GW people who went on to do their own work later. They weren't this bad about credits even in the worst of the bad GW days, but now they've gone out of their way to scour writing and sculpting and painting credits even when leaving it alone would just be free.

The rest of this post is just bog-standard corporate apologia. If they're not paying you, why post like that? They have CM and PR people for that kind of thing.

Because people buying recast stuff feeds a system that hurts me, the small artist maker. It takes money out of MY pocket, and then when I complain people say I'm shilling for GW or other big companies. People use the massive bad company to justify their actions that hurt small artists. Sorry to have to put it so bluntly.

I'm an artist, I have my criticisms of how GW operates, but they aren't out of line with industry standards. When you work for a big company as an artist you are trading recognition for your achievements for a dependable regular paycheque. Artists all go into this willingly, we appreciate that people want to see us being credited, but we also have agency. I read my contracts before I sign them, I know what credit I'm going to get, I am ok with that. Anyone that isn't shoudn't sign.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 16, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

when I complain people say I'm shilling for GW or other big companies.

[...]

When you work for a big company as an artist you are trading recognition for your achievements for a dependable regular paycheque. Artists all go into this willingly, we appreciate that people want to see us being credited, but we also have agency. I read my contracts before I sign them, I know what credit I'm going to get, I am ok with that. Anyone that isn't shoudn't sign.

if you're unhappy with being accused of shilling for big companies, i recommend at least waiting one post before shilling for big companies

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

if you're unhappy with being accused of shilling for big companies, i recommend at least waiting one post before shilling for big companies

His post isn't even remotely doing that and you are being a dick.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

that second paragraph is talking about how companies operate and saying it's just how things are, that having credits being scrubbed for no reason is just all anyone should expect. artists go into this "willingly". that's basic apologia.

gently caress that, tbh. even games workshop wasn't this bad until very recently. artists take the work that is available under the terms that are available until they get a big enough name to demand better terms, and oh look here's GW scrubbing their names to prevent that. that's scummy behavior befitting a faceless corporation people mostly just tolerate.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 16, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Honestly dude? really?

I paint a big painting, I put it into a big art gallery. Someone comes along and takes a picture of that painting. They start selling illegal prints of my painting. You go into the gallery, see my painting, you realize you want it, but either can't afford it, or you can, but it is more than you want to pay for it. You decide to buy an illegal print instead. When called out on it you claim you don't like the business practices of the art gallery I am selling in, as if that justifies buying the illegal print. If everyone does this I go out of business and nothing new gets made.

Your claim that you are concerned about artists is crocodile tears to justify that you don't want to pay the cost of supporting artists. What you are saying is the textbook response, you are mad at me, someone that this exact thing is actively affecting. As an artist this is super frustrating, you are literally saying I'm the rear end in a top hat for asking you not to steal from me or my colleagues.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Honestly dude? really?

I paint a big painting, I put it into a big art gallery. Someone comes along and takes a picture of that painting. They start selling illegal prints of my painting. You go into the gallery, see my painting, you realize you want it, but either can't afford it, or you can, but it is more than you want to pay for it.

the difference here is in this analogy you are being denied the profit from your painting, rather than the corporate middleman who is squeezing both you and the people buying your work dry. GW isn't paying artists residuals or profit share, and they're not raising anyone's wages because a mini or book sells well.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Virtual Russian posted:

Because people buying recast stuff feeds a system that hurts me, the small artist maker. It takes money out of MY pocket

How, exactly? If you're making your own original stuff, you're either making proxies for GW models (which is likely the more profitable route), or you're doing stuff that's completely independent of GW games to begin with (such as stuff for RPGs and skirmish games that are "mini agnostic").

If it's the former (that you're making proxies for GW games), it could be argued that you yourself are hurting GW by providing alternatives to their own models. If it's the latter, your business is likely niche enough that I would think a recaster wouldn't even bother recasting models from it, as there's no profit in it. The recasters make their money off of GW models because they're so insanely expensive, which makes some people seek out cheaper alternatives.

Please note that I'm not arguing in favor of recasting or accusing anyone of being a GW shill, but this sounds very much to me like the claims record labels, book publishers, and movie/game studios made when they argued that a pirated book/album/movie/game was a lost sale for them (which is very much not a given at all), and used that "logic" to eventually get the DMCA successfully pushed through.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Because people buying recast stuff feeds a system that hurts me, the small artist maker. It takes money out of MY pocket, and then when I complain people say I'm shilling for GW or other big companies. People use the massive bad company to justify their actions that hurt small artists. Sorry to have to put it so bluntly.

I'm an artist, I have my criticisms of how GW operates, but they aren't out of line with industry standards. When you work for a big company as an artist you are trading recognition for your achievements for a dependable regular paycheque. Artists all go into this willingly, we appreciate that people want to see us being credited, but we also have agency. I read my contracts before I sign them, I know what credit I'm going to get, I am ok with that. Anyone that isn't shoudn't sign.

For wargaming the only products that get recasted are GW, Infinity and Kingdom Death. I.e. the companies which charge the absolute most for their products. I've seen some Marvel/Batman recasts out there as well but in general there's a very real trend of the only products being recasted are those which have extremely high margins and popularity. I've not seen anyone selling recasted Mantic, Privateer Press or any of the actual garage producers. Anyone recasting the more niche stuff is inevitably selling them at close to retail price.

Now it's very much a different story with garage kits (particularly Japanese ones) and even then those are recast because the run is like 20 kits sold once at some random invite-only con in Japan.

IMO a far more legitimate worry is some schmuck of a 3D artist copying your design and releasing the stls for everyone with a printer to make their own copy. See how fast GW designs get reproduced ahead of release dates. I doubt GW are terribly worried about them given the current state of 3D printing but if I was a garage kit producer I would be much more annoyed.

Edit - to add to the above point, traditional recasting still has material costs - you have to obtain the master, make the moulds etc etc which makes it only worthwhile doing if there's a big enough market for it. Whereas with 3D recasting you would just need time and you could ruin someone's niche product easily by releasing a stl for the hundreds of etsy makers to produce on demand. The outlay is minimal and given the output of the patreon 3D artists I wouldn't be surprised if they could make a passable copy in a fraction of the time required to make a traditionally sculpted mini.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

What Virtual Russian is talking about feels fundamentally the same as why the WGA and SAG-AFTRA are on strike. It's not a perfect analogy but for them, recasting is equivalent to a studio paying an actor $200 to scan their body and use it forever without further remuneration. Also, when an artist, or anyone else for that matter, tells you something is harmful to their field, it's rear end in a top hat behavior to tell them they're wrong or belittle their concerns.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I think it’s slightly bizarre for people to leap in when an artist explains their direct experience with how the recasting industry fucks over artists and go “nuh uh”. Like I’ve said I’ve purchased recasts of out of production kits but I’m not going to spin that as me being some plucky Robin Hood type sticking it to the man, if you buy recasts at least be intellectually honest enough to admit to yourself that you just like cheap poo poo and :shrug: to the rather exploitative industry it comes from.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 16, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Z the IVth posted:

IMO a far more legitimate worry is some schmuck of a 3D artist copying your design and releasing the stls for everyone with a printer to make their own copy. See how fast GW designs get reproduced ahead of release dates. I doubt GW are terribly worried about them given the current state of 3D printing but if I was a garage kit producer I would be much more annoyed.

Edit - to add to the above point, traditional recasting still has material costs - you have to obtain the master, make the moulds etc etc which makes it only worthwhile doing if there's a big enough market for it. Whereas with 3D recasting you would just need time and you could ruin someone's niche product easily by releasing a stl for the hundreds of etsy makers to produce on demand. The outlay is minimal and given the output of the patreon 3D artists I wouldn't be surprised if they could make a passable copy in a fraction of the time required to make a traditionally sculpted mini.

This is a very good point and I can definitely see this having a big impact on smaller makers, much more so than traditional recasting. Without the material costs, all that's really needed is just the time and effort to scan or otherwise recreate the model, and at that point if the person doing the copying is selling the STL files in whatever way, it doesn't matter if they're copies of a GW design or if they're from a smaller maker. It's all pure profit to them.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rantmo posted:

What Virtual Russian is talking about feels fundamentally the same as why the WGA and SAG-AFTRA are on strike.

in this analogy, GW is the AMPTP.

i can't speak to other areas, but recasters don't generally go after small artists' work with miniatures in particular because the economy of scale isn't there. there are a fair amount of grey-market sales of professionally-produced pirate copies of small producers' miniatures from china, but it's largely with miniatures originally produced in china, selling binned writeoffs or simply continuing to run molds illicitly. likewise, you see 3D print piracy of even cult releases using illicit scans or simply selling STL prints without paying the creator, but there's a hard cap on how large such an operation can be, both from demand and the limitations of this kind of manufacturing. both of these have little to do with recasting and buying from recasters doesn't "support" either business model.

this isn't generalizable to every single small-manufacturer semi-pro craft. anything that is more similar to print-on-demand is clonable in a scaling, profitable way, as is anything that can reasonably be marketed as the manufacturer's own design. but miniature recasts are not anything like those, so trotting out the same ol' piracy arguments like there's some big operation undercutting even the bigger enthusiast projects like kromlech is silly.

it's also hilarious to see "think of the artists!" alongside "yeah artists get exploited by large publishers, that's life" side-by-side in the same post. that's just icing on this layer cake of terrible arguments in defense of games workshop.

Mr Teatime posted:

I think it’s slightly bizarre for people to leap in when an artist explains their direct experience with how the recasting industry fucks over artists and go “nuh uh”. Like I’ve said I’ve purchased recasts of out of production kits but I’m not going to spin that as me being some plucky Robin Hood type sticking it to the man, if you buy recasts at least be intellectually honest enough to admit to yourself that you just like cheap poo poo and :shrug: to the rather exploitative industry it comes from.

it's not "plucky Robin Hood sticking it to the man" so much as GW constantly taking steps to remind everyone that they just don't give a poo poo. if they're that focused on squeezing out every dime for the bottom line, then clearly they have that in hand and don't need any help. arguments appealing to downtrodden artists feel especially silly applied to GW in particular.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 16, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cease to Hope posted:

Yeah, I know. The argument isn't that recasting is bad for GW it's that it's bad for artists and, potentially, the consumer in the end. The AMPTP is terrible but they represent the people who get film and TV made, those companies are a necessary evil but they are not obligated to be lovely and exploitative about it. Same goes for GW. Ultimately the problem is capitalism and the late stage capitalist drive for endless growth at the expense of everything else, but we're not going to solve that problem here, sadly.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm not doing minis (mostly, I have done a couple in my time, but they are not even on my CV, just not on "brand" for what it do), I do art sculpture in both resin and porcelain, as well as having done about anything and everything to do with ceramics. Art sculpture is plagued by recasting, to the point that I don't do resin casting anymore for myself. The risk is way too high, I could honestly be looking at putting down up to 10k unfront to get a small series done. I was laid off once because the studio I worked for went under amidst rampant recasting combined with very poor management responses. That was dreadful, my partner and I were living in a tiny village of 500 people where we had moved to for that job. There was zero work for us there after that, in the end it worked out because I got into a retraining program and went back to school to expand my ceramic skills. That was the best thing that could have happened as ceramics has exploded since the pandemic hit. All my income is ceramic based now.

Most recently I've been doing one-off pieces that are a blend of Bernini's treatment of drapery combined with modern sculpture aesthetics. Think large porcelain monoliths of beautiful flowing drapery. Those have been great because I work deep undercuts into them to prevent ease of casting. I also make my own handmade pottery on the side, but that is on the backburner at the moment. I used to do prints, but oh boy is that horrible for stuff being stolen, there are ways to do it well and make money, but I can't be bothered to learn that income stream. I continue to have a couple copies of my breakthrough pieces from earlier in my career recast, that sucks, but I can live with it as that work ultimately did what it needed to do. Those pieces legitimized me and were the backbone of my portfolio for years. I have learned a lot since then, my income is very stable now, but I am still obviously pretty bitter about those early experiences. As with any artist my early years were very lean, any loss of income was deeply felt. I can't get any work from my BJD contacts anymore, neither can my partner, those never paid well, but I loved working with self-employed artists that were passionate about what they were making. My friend that I taught porcelain casting to continues to make BJDs though, so I'm happy for that. It is funny how just shifting to a different casting material can throw off the recasters.

I also just started a regular job where I'm the head designer at a small stoneware firm. I've been loving it there, I have almost no oversight and the owner loves everything I show him. They are great, they want my name on stuff and are excellent for crediting the entire staff, pay and benefits are top of the industry too! They are also practically immune to recasting by the nature of what they do, but even still we are dealing with someone stealing designs, making really laughably bad copies, and then approaching our retailers. I'm not worried there as the copy is so bad as to be funny.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

How, exactly? If you're making your own original stuff, you're either making proxies for GW models (which is likely the more profitable route), or you're doing stuff that's completely independent of GW games to begin with (such as stuff for RPGs and skirmish games that are "mini agnostic").

If it's the former (that you're making proxies for GW games), it could be argued that you yourself are hurting GW by providing alternatives to their own models. If it's the latter, your business is likely niche enough that I would think a recaster wouldn't even bother recasting models from it, as there's no profit in it. The recasters make their money off of GW models because they're so insanely expensive, which makes some people seek out cheaper alternatives.

Please note that I'm not arguing in favor of recasting or accusing anyone of being a GW shill, but this sounds very much to me like the claims record labels, book publishers, and movie/game studios made when they argued that a pirated book/album/movie/game was a lost sale for them (which is very much not a given at all), and used that "logic" to eventually get the DMCA successfully pushed through.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You bring up good points. These are the big debate points around IP rights. From my perspective, I can't easily sort out who was buying a copy of my art because they saw something they liked but would never be able to afford, and somone that just wanted it cheaper but would have paid me full price. I also don't know the numbers, maybe 3 people have bought a copy of my works and I'm blowing this way out of proportion, or maybe 1000s have sold (i doubt it, I'm not that well known). I just don't know. It has been brought to my attention though so I know I've lost some amount. Another big issue is that recasts aren't credited often for sculpture. It will just show up on a cheap art market or design webstore with a bizarre title meant to optimize SEO. People buying it have no idea it was stolen. This is why I stopped getting series cast for my personal work, one-offs are far more expensive so I sell way less, but my current job solves the income gap that created.

I think a fundamental problem artists face in this climate is that when we get hurt by this we really feel it. The main piece of mine that was recast and sold at least a few is priced at $2000, back in those early days I could probably have lived off one sale for 3 months. It sucks bigtime, and there is nothing you can do. However, no one sees it, and we can't shout loud enough, so the only examples people see and hear are like GW or Metallica. If it didn't also effect me I'd be there too saying "gently caress those guys, they make enough money", and yeah, it kinda is true. GW does have very high prices and that drives people to recasters. However, that also doesn't mean GW is some evil slavedriver exploiting artists and throwing them away. GW people seem overall happy with GW, there are lots of valid complaints, but they also seem to do well once they leave. I'm not saying they are great and we should love them, but I'm saying this is just kinda how the industry works. Aspects of it are even advantageous for artists. I still remember loving up a single resin mix when we poured a huge marbled resin slab. Thousands of dollars of resin went into it and one color didn't cure right. We just did it again and I got a warning, if I was doing that on my own I would have shuttered my studio. I have a few more examples like that, stuff you need to gently caress up to learn never to do again, I like learning those things on someone else's dime.

Finally, when I get a paycheque and make pieces I don't get royalties. So yes, when stuff I made but was paid wages for gets recast it doesn't come from my pocket. However, it can result in less contracts, less development, poorer wages. Big companies will always offset losses, cutting labour is the classic go-to, even if it always starts a death spiral. I can't get work from BJD people anymore, I used to be able to get something if I offered a good deal (often when I was a student again and needed quick cash)

The recasters that recast GW stuff recast art as well, as well as BJDs and tons of stuff. No one knows how much money they make, but knowing how popular GW stuff is I'd guess that is a big part of the recasting income stream. THe question is, if they didn't have that massive reliable income, would they be recasting other peoples stuff, or would they just leave the mini market? Can you even seperate the GW recasting from the non-GW?

--

For a little levity, I first got into casting resin as a teenager when I recast my chaos BFG cruisers because I couldn't afford to buy enough for the fleet I was working on. So I get it, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Please find someone outside the network of overseas recasting operations. Or 3D print some of the amazing proxies out there! This hobby gave me a lot, when school killed my love of art, wargaming kept it alive even when I didn't know it was. When I was first looking for real work in the field my hobby experience was a great asset. I could tell people in interviews I had lots of experience and examples of casting small series of sculptures in resin, including making my own moulds, all outside a classroom. Ultimately I don't work with mini companies, but my field is the same but much bigger in scale. Humourously I'd say the customer base is about the same in both. One group (art buyers) generally have a lot more money, but they behave the exact same. I have this same argument but sub minis for art. Plus you get all the same reactions and comments to new work/releases "so and so's new work is so bad it ruins all my current art from them, why would they do this to me?!" Don't tell the art world, but somehow I think the wargaming world is better behaved. At the end of the day we have a fun game and hobby elements that tend to relax us and bind us together. The art buyers can only worry, they get to look at the art, but mostly I think they just worry about having the "right" art, or how much it has increased or decreased in value.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

i can't speak to other areas, but recasters don't generally go after small artists' work with miniatures in particular because the economy of scale isn't there. there are a fair amount of grey-market sales of professionally-produced pirate copies of small producers' miniatures from china, but it's largely with miniatures originally produced in china, selling binned writeoffs or simply continuing to run molds illicitly. likewise, you see 3D print piracy of even cult releases using illicit scans or simply selling STL prints without paying the creator, but there's a hard cap on how large such an operation can be, both from demand and the limitations of this kind of manufacturing. both of these have little to do with recasting and buying from recasters doesn't "support" either business model.

this isn't generalizable to every single small-manufacturer semi-pro craft. anything that is more similar to print-on-demand is clonable in a scaling, profitable way, as is anything that can reasonably be marketed as the manufacturer's own design. but miniature recasts are not anything like those, so trotting out the same ol' piracy arguments like there's some big operation undercutting even the bigger enthusiast projects like kromlech is silly.

it's also hilarious to see "think of the artists!" alongside "yeah artists get exploited by large publishers, that's life" side-by-side in the same post. that's just icing on this layer cake of terrible arguments in defense of games workshop.

it's not "plucky Robin Hood sticking it to the man" so much as GW constantly taking steps to remind everyone that they just don't give a poo poo. if they're that focused on squeezing out every dime for the bottom line, then clearly they have that in hand and don't need any help. arguments appealing to downtrodden artists feel especially silly applied to GW in particular.

I will say, I keep an eye on what is being recast, and small mini producers stuff does show up. Vanguard miniatures experienced a very targeted recasting campaign not long ago. I can still find his stuff up for offer.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ngl if you look around the miniatures industry how many designs can be honestly said to be completely non-derivative? Vast majority of artists and producers crib off existing IPs or GW.

Virtual Russian posted:

I will say, I keep an eye on what is being recast, and small mini producers stuff does show up. Vanguard miniatures experienced a very targeted recasting campaign not long ago. I can still find his stuff up for offer.

Wasn't this an actively malicious attack? Even finding recast titanicus stuff is hard, much less super niche stuff like Vanguard.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 16, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The art world isn't that different honestly. The way we used to conceive of art history is just "and then this person made something so new and revolutionary that the next ten years is nothing but people making derivative works." Make what you know sells.

Z the IVth posted:

Wasn't this an actively malicious attack? Even finding recast titanicus stuff is hard, much less super niche stuff like Vanguard.

I think so, I don't have the full story. I've seen the recasts out there and the folks on the Vanguard discord seem very aware and pissed. I don't know why someone would do it so spitefully, but I imagine there is some money to be made too.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 16, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This is a very good point and I can definitely see this having a big impact on smaller makers, much more so than traditional recasting. Without the material costs, all that's really needed is just the time and effort to scan or otherwise recreate the model, and at that point if the person doing the copying is selling the STL files in whatever way, it doesn't matter if they're copies of a GW design or if they're from a smaller maker. It's all pure profit to them.

Related:

This isn't even OOP, limited run or being sold at insane prices. It's just not released yet and people are printing copies of it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

I suspect your issue might be with capitalism. GW isn't worse than the industry average. I've never worked for them, but from what I can see they are better than average because they have only outsourced the printing of their paper products. Their treatment of the their artists is par or maybe at the absolute worst slightly sub-par. GW in-house artists seem to be able to retire, that alone is more than most. I want artists to always be credited, but I want a lot of things. Singling GW out as some ur-example of poor treatment of artists just doesn't sit well with me. Warlord Games is essentially the same company as far as I can see, but no one gets up into arms about them not crediting their artists. The big companies are beholden to forces beyond our direct control. We can't fix this at the company level, but we could fix it at the legislative level. Change the law to better protect artists and make sure they are credited. Training border agents to watch for goods coming from known IP thieves, get loving AI helping with that. It can steal art, it sure as hell can identify stolen art. There is so much we could do to address how artists are credited and treated by large companies, but buying recasts isn't one of them, sorry.

I have worked in a real "churn and burn" studio once. People would shout at you, you were massively underpaid, the environment was not properly ventilated, hours were long, and deadlines were always unmanagably short because the "artist" said he could do it that fast, despite the "artist" never making any of the art. People would be reduced to tears all the time, it was terrible. GW isn't hiring hundreds of fresh out of school art grads and working them to the bone for a pittance like Jeff Koons or other art factory dickheads. (I did not work for Koons, but have an NDA with who i did, so I use Koons as my example.)

I think my perspective will always be heavily influenced by being [sort of] on the inside of this issue. I feel deeply about these issues, but I see it as an (art) industry wide problem. I see no useful path forward by singling out a single company as the big baddie of IP rights and artist treatment, especially when I look at that company as an artist and think "man I'd love to work there." I suspect these issues are only going to become more prominent in society over the next decade, especially in how it relates to AI. I get why people fixate on GW though. Warhammer is something we enjoy, and when we find out that the people that make the thing we like aren't being treated how we want to be treated we get mad. I'd encourage you to keep going, investigate this more, it will reveal that this is standard practice. I don't mean to demobilize, just to redirect that energy. It is easiest to just get mad at those closest to you on this issue, like me, or GW, but the cause of this is far deeper. Get mad at profit being the bottom line for all decisions in our society. Artists are exploited because we create, in art based companies we are the base on which all else is built. We cannot be compensated 100% for the value we create because that value must be used to support all the other people that take our creations and produce, package, market, and sell them. Our compensation will always be a compromise with others, I will always want more, those in charge will want more, and of course so will everyone in between. What does fair compensation look like? Certainly, I always want my name attached to something I make, that is something GW and others could do that would be great, but also that isn't really that much. I can't eat that. However, it might be useful to me further down the road if I renogotiated my contract, I could leverage how much my personal brand has come to be intwined with that of my employer, losing me might take some of their customer base with me. I could argue for better wages. Big companies really don't want to hand me that power though, no company does, it will hurt the bottom line. So again, back to capitalism.

I'm going to go paint some more tiny Necrons. No more posts from me until I get some pics for the thread, gotta pay the image tax for all my giant blocks of text.

Edit: If someone that has worked in minis has something to chip in feel free, my experience is all in the very adjacent art casting industry.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 16, 2023

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

"HELLO."

"SQUEAK."

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 16, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Can I ask what brand of flocking you used? I'm trying to figure out bases for my 6mm stuff and the scatter I have looks off scale for 28mm nevermind 6.

Woodland Scenics Fine Turf - I used Burnt Grass which is quite desaturated. I'm not sure why, because I'm a Goblin Green person at heart - I think it was to repair some of my RT marines which got re-based in the early 00's?

Hierophant done but for base-edging, I enjoyed the greater scope for painting (as opposed to dolloping on contrast and trying to edge highlight afterwards), but not quite yet in my groove. It's sufficiently gross to meet my needs for now, especially since to field it I'll need to be playing Epic and will almost certainly need at least another 15 bases of gaunts and I'm not ready for that :)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

In the interest of sharing some minis, here are some Phobos I just painted up. Plenty of mistakes, but it’s fun to just slap chop some paint on minis and give things a go.

I definitely need to work on my color theory; these were meant to be imperial fist yellow, but I goofed and did an orange speed paint first and so decided to pivot, but the leather on the pouches doesn’t have a ton of contrast with orange.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I suspect your issue might be with capitalism.

Clawing back credits isn't a problem with capitalism in general. It isn't even a profit-maximizing move, since they've even re-edited old work to remove credits, when just leaving it alone would have been free. It's a bonehead move chasing imagined profits at best, and pure spite at worst. In any event, there is no need to cheerlead every single lovely thing a corporation does because, well, that's capitalism!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Here's my Terminator Captain

The sword could be better since I just gave it a single swipe of magic blue but I think he's pretty good for me.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tiny Necrons!

With these I've got about 1600pts painted, most importantly though I've got my 1k minigeddon list fully painted. I'll post images of the lot another time. I'm very happy with them, I could certainly put more detail into them, but I think they look great, especially considering I'm not putting much time in. A couple hours at the absolute max per formation. The only place I really think shows the speed I'm painting at is the warbarque's portal. It looked terrible just flat green, but beyond sculpting in waves I just had to toss some paint down fast. I didn't do the glow around it as I might re-do that portal, I'm open to suggestions for how to go about that.

Also yes, I missed the glow on the very tips of the warbarques weapons. Fixing that now.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Axetrain posted:

Here's my Terminator Captain

The sword could be better since I just gave it a single swipe of magic blue but I think he's pretty good for me.

It looks good, the sword just seems like it needs highlights. The highlights on the cloak all seem to be exactly where they should be, good job!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

An extremely angry group of Traitor Guard now finished and ready to fight for the 3rd Legion. Or the New California Republic. Extremely tempted to pick up another box to do up as the normal kill team, or to be a good chunk of the way towards a traitor guard counts-as militarum.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

An extremely angry group of Traitor Guard now finished and ready to fight for the 3rd Legion. Or the New California Republic. Extremely tempted to pick up another box to do up as the normal kill team, or to be a good chunk of the way towards a traitor guard counts-as militarum.

Those look rad! I’m about to start on my Blooded team, and it’s fun to see some inspiration in the thread.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Re: Those wings I painted earlier, I'm going to do a series of videos of an edited down "paint along" of this magnus the red model, if you care to follow along here's the first that handles the feathers: https://youtu.be/cpQqrKaWytY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Put some work into the Knight's arm today