Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
anyone want to buy some BLOOD DIAMONDS (real) (not clickbait)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

QuarkJets posted:

Goons were talking about water filters in the Amazon discussion because those are easy to counterfeit and difficult to verify whether they're doing anything. I don't think that's something Box Fan purchasers need to worry about lol

E: those window fans are $100-150 and the flimsy looking "cheaper alternative" is $70, this is exactly the problem that I was talking about. A good quality box fan is $40. A good box fan that fits in a window should not cost several times that.

I have a window fan similar to the budget pick and it was like $30-40 last year, and it looks like that's about the going rate on Amazon. I'd buy one there. It's a fan, not much to go wrong.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-9-in-Twin-Window-Fan-WDF9-2/314584798

Same price at home depot too. Two in stock at my local.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tiny Timbs posted:

Glass does not belong near the shower imo

Even when it’s not exploding it’s still a pain to maintain

Either use a curtain or go full wet

This is a strange opinion to me. Tempered glass is safe and fine. It doesn't get nasty like shower curtains, looks clean, wipes clean, isn't made of plastic, doesn't blow into you with the convection in the shower.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah you can get a 2 fan window unit for like 40 bux. I use it when brewing as an exhaust fan and I. The spring and fall in my bedroom

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Shifty Pony posted:

Blower style fans like this window one and this freestanding unit are the way to go if you want large amounts of airflow and not much noise.

I have that Vornado transom unit and it’s so-so. It really doesn’t move all that much air. I learned a lot about how fans blowing to the outside don’t really cool a person.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hadlock posted:

We had our first 90 degree day about a week ago and the spiders have been going crazy. Some quick research shows that the majority of spider eggs hatch at 90F. Went from zero spiders to all the spiders and everything is covered in spiderwebs suddenly, even had some attempting to build a web between my aquarium and the lights above it. Half convinced one of those super tiny spiders crawled over/between the sensor on the smoke alarm

:spiderguy:
Dude, same. I've lived here for 8 years and there have been plenty of heat waves but I've never seen a wave of spiders like this. I've been finding handfuls of microscopic spiders all over the house seemingly in every room just in the last couple of days.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a recommendation for a battery backup that I can just plug my existing sump pump into?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just got a weather alert, it just says SPIDER WAVE

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

spf3million posted:

Dude, same. I've lived here for 8 years and there have been plenty of heat waves but I've never seen a wave of spiders like this. I've been finding handfuls of microscopic spiders all over the house seemingly in every room just in the last couple of days.

I'm legit trying to figure out if my daughter brought home HFM from daycare or these red bumps on the inside of my elbows and knees are spider bites. I think they're spider bites

The last time I had this many red itchy bumps was late spring in Dallas, and it was a 100 year old house with pretty poor sealing, pretty sure those were spiders

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a battery backup that I can just plug my existing sump pump into?

High current devices and UPSes generally don't play well together. Our Copiers at work are turned off during rain storms that have a chance of causing brown outs because although they have some lightning protection, they draw too much power while printing to not quickly kill a UPS.

You probably wanna pick one designed for a pump system.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Had some bad grey water backup/spillage from laundry machine at the family cabin in the UP, cabin is 10 feet from lake but up on a hill at the end of a peninsula.

Anyone familiar with repairing vs replacing an inoperable septic drain field? 50 year old tank is apparently in good shape but can't drain properly.

I'm familiar with mound systems but my understanding is they're more costly

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 15, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StormDrain posted:

This is a strange opinion to me. Tempered glass is safe and fine. It doesn't get nasty like shower curtains, looks clean, wipes clean, isn't made of plastic, doesn't blow into you with the convection in the shower.

Got a glass shower door salesman here

Probably says you can get hard water stains off with windex and a squeegee

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well you can when you upgrade to Diamon Fusion glass, Diamon-Fusion® is a patented, protective coating that repels water, soap scum and other contaminants from your shower doors and other glass, making it easier to clean. Just as a non-stick cooking pan significantly reduces the time and effort needed to clean, so too will Diamon-Fusion significantly cut the frequency and time needed to clean your glass.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Opinions on trough style vanities?

Here’s what’s we currently have:

We’re looking to redo our bathroom and we can get a vanity at about 54” wide. While they do offer some double sink models, we don’t think they will look right because of the window above our toilet. Like, the mirror can’t extend any further to the right because of the window.

So we’re thinking a trough style sink with two faucets in there.

Something like this :

https://www.thebathoutlet.com/Bathr...ChoC6JsQAvD_BwE

The bad thing about that is there is almost zero counter space…which is something we obviously need. Plus I’m not sold on the floating vanities and don’t think it would work well.

nwin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 15, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
You will never wish you had less counter space, I'd go with two bowls and flat space between

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

The bad thing about that is there is almost zero counter space…which is something we obviously need. Plus I’m not sold on the floating vanities and don’t think it would work well.

As a person with eyes and has seen the photo of your counter, do not get that trough sink. I'd probably get a single sink on a wide vanity if I was you. That trough looks like what you'd find at a nice restaurant.

Some other ideas too, if you get a double sink and find you don't have enough counter space occasionally, you can get a fold up sink drying rack and use it to cover a sink and have a wide flat space.

Also I think the double vanity is overrated, although that might have more to do with my relationship and our working hours. We rarely have to get ready at the same time except on special occasions and even so, I don't do much at the sink. I just need my drawer and a place to spit toothpaste. I shave a couple times a week or up to four times if it's a big week for looking good.

Also I fill the sink to shave so that tough is right out for me. And it's more to wipe down. I'm now anti trough.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Counter space is king.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Was in the bathroom today and noticed part of the ceiling looked a little weird. Poked it and it gave way pretty easily. So I went and grabbed my ladder and cut out the bad section, which revealed... open flexible duct?

Very confused at first, I thought that maybe they moved the vent fan or something and were just really lazy with leaving the old ducting there. Then something clicked and I turned on the fan... to air blowing out of the duct.

Now obviously something made the ceiling unhappy. My guess would be condensation since there doesn't appear to be anything else around that could possibly leak (it's under an open area of the upstairs and doesn't have any pipes running through it). The piece that I cut out was definitely crumbly, but not moist in any way, and I didn't see anything that looked like mold anywhere. It was only crumbly directly under the duct. Importantly, this is a half bath with no shower or bathtub. So the vent is rarely used, and basically only for modesty reasons.

Given that, is there any real issue with basically just sealing it back up? Given its location, properly ducting it to the outside would be a pretty extensive/expensive project - the bathroom is basically in the absolute center of the house, with an open area above it and rooms with higher ceilings on all sides. If it's a problem I'd almost rather just rip the thing out than try to figure out how to send the air outside.

Edit: or comedy option, just put a grate over the hole

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 15, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If you seal that duct back up you are now Gary.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nwin posted:

Here’s what’s we currently have:

We’re looking to redo our bathroom and we can get a vanity at about 54” wide. While they do offer some double sink models, we don’t think they will look right because of the window above our toilet. Like, the mirror can’t extend any further to the right because of the window.

So we’re thinking a trough style sink with two faucets in there.

Something like this :

https://www.thebathoutlet.com/Bathr...ChoC6JsQAvD_BwE

replicates the ballpark experience for sink pissers

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

StormDrain posted:

As a person with eyes and has seen the photo of your counter, do not get that trough sink. I'd probably get a single sink on a wide vanity if I was you. That trough looks like what you'd find at a nice restaurant.

Some other ideas too, if you get a double sink and find you don't have enough counter space occasionally, you can get a fold up sink drying rack and use it to cover a sink and have a wide flat space.

Also I think the double vanity is overrated, although that might have more to do with my relationship and our working hours. We rarely have to get ready at the same time except on special occasions and even so, I don't do much at the sink. I just need my drawer and a place to spit toothpaste. I shave a couple times a week or up to four times if it's a big week for looking good.

Also I fill the sink to shave so that tough is right out for me. And it's more to wipe down. I'm now anti trough.

Yeah you’re all talking me out of the trough. We would like a double vanity because we’re constantly in each others way morning and night. I just don’t know how it would work with the existing mirror or even a new mirror. The double vanity’s we’ve looked at seem like they wouldn’t line up to the mirror location at all.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

nwin posted:

Yeah you’re all talking me out of the trough. We would like a double vanity because we’re constantly in each others way morning and night. I just don’t know how it would work with the existing mirror or even a new mirror. The double vanity’s we’ve looked at seem like they wouldn’t line up to the mirror location at all.
Sorry but it sounds like you need a bigger bathroom.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399&pagenumber=1

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Was in the bathroom today and noticed part of the ceiling looked a little weird. Poked it and it gave way pretty easily. So I went and grabbed my ladder and cut out the bad section, which revealed... open flexible duct?

Very confused at first, I thought that maybe they moved the vent fan or something and were just really lazy with leaving the old ducting there. Then something clicked and I turned on the fan... to air blowing out of the duct.

Now obviously something made the ceiling unhappy. My guess would be condensation since there doesn't appear to be anything else around that could possibly leak (it's under an open area of the upstairs and doesn't have any pipes running through it). The piece that I cut out was definitely crumbly, but not moist in any way, and I didn't see anything that looked like mold anywhere. It was only crumbly directly under the duct. Importantly, this is a half bath with no shower or bathtub. So the vent is rarely used, and basically only for modesty reasons.

Given that, is there any real issue with basically just sealing it back up? Given its location, properly ducting it to the outside would be a pretty extensive/expensive project - the bathroom is basically in the absolute center of the house, with an open area above it and rooms with higher ceilings on all sides. If it's a problem I'd almost rather just rip the thing out than try to figure out how to send the air outside.

Edit: or comedy option, just put a grate over the hole

So your hypothesis is that your fart gas damaged the drywall?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Haven't been here long, so GARY'S fart gas.

Actually, condensation from the temperature difference between the conditioned and non-conditioned spaces.

The part that I cut out was noticeably thinner than the surrounding drywall, so it definitely seemed like a patch already. So either this has been a problem before and someone just patched it up, or they tried to put the fan there originally, realized it wouldn't fit for whatever reason, just put in a patch and moved the fan over a couple feet. Feels like fans are usually right above the toilet? That's where the hole I cut is.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 15, 2023

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
You don’t have enough space for a double sink. You both have too much poo poo out on the counter, though- can you put in a medicine cabinet instead of just a mirror or an over toilet storage shelf? That plus a well lit mirror somewhere else to finish getting ready will probably help your traffic problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nwin posted:

If you're interested in spending even more money, what if you shift everything to the left? Remove the wall outlet, extend the mirror, move the light fixture. Then is there enough space for two sinks?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our guest bathroom in our last house had one of those awful sinks that takes up the entire counter. It was useful for giving our 1 year old a bath (falling hazard! could not convince my wife though) and otherwise loving useless

Strong second recommendation on over toilet shelving:

They are great for all the decorative poo poo/stuff you think you need but never actually use (bay leaf scented hand oil? i don't think the seal has been broken in 7 years, but it's on display in case someone needes it :suicide:) leaving your actual countertop for things you really use

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hutla posted:

You don’t have enough space for a double sink. You both have too much poo poo out on the counter, though- can you put in a medicine cabinet instead of just a mirror or an over toilet storage shelf? That plus a well lit mirror somewhere else to finish getting ready will probably help your traffic problem.

There are also free-standing shelves you can buy that are designed to add counterspace above a faucet, I think these can look pretty nice.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Settling into the new house. Every single door is stupid in a different way. I've partially fixed three of them and I think I'm going to have to fix or replace or maybe just tear out all the others too. Why are they all so wrong and dumb?

Except the bathroom door. That one is just exceptionally weird but in a way that is charming and functional.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 15, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

I think if you had a wider mirror and a wider light you'd alleviate a lot of your issues. Right now it's set up that if you need the mirror you're standing at the sink. You may be able to share the space easier with more mirror and more light. Even another 10" of mirror would help. It doesn't have to be centered. Think about the activities you do to get ready and wind down and how many of them require the sink and mirror together. Shaving? Looks like you use electric. Washing your face may be the only one really. I use the mirror to floss, comb my hair. I use the sink to wet my brush and spit toothpaste.

To be a little more extra, a lot of stuff on your counter can be put away and used out of the drawer as part of your routine and keep the counter clear. In my morning I open a drawer and use items in there and close it when I'm done. It keeps a lot of items like deodorant, toothpaste and razors out of sight with very little extra effort. We leave items out too, just less of them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GlyphGryph posted:

Settle into the new house. Every single door is stupid in a different way. I've partially fixed three of them and I think I'm going to have to fix or replace or maybe just tear out all the others too. Why are they all so wrong and dumb?

Except the bathroom door. That one is just exceptionally weird but in a way that is charming and functional.

I replaced five of the doors in my house and the ones I haven't drive me nuts and they're not really that bad either. A good solid door that shuts easy, latches, and feels good is worth the effort. I didn't replace one to the office as I didn't really care if it was hollow for sound but it is so light and crucially, doesn't fit the frame well, so you have to pull it shut everytime. It's gonna be replaced this year. Same with a bathroom except it actually fits the frame, it's just too light to close without help.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just shave and floss during your drive to work, like a normal person

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

You can get them off with a razor blade. And you won't even need to do that if you put aquapel on it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think I'll just deal with a shower curtain that is not capable of lacerating me thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I totally get that and would probably feel the same way if that just happened to me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

StormDrain posted:

I replaced five of the doors in my house and the ones I haven't drive me nuts

Yeah I think it's definitely my top quality of life fixes right now, they are gonna bother me until I fix them.

One literally removed a chunk of flesh this morning heavy enough you could feel the weight of it holding it (tension on the tensioner was insanely high... Also it didn't have a brake or stop or anything like every other one I've ever seen to hold it open. Easy enough to fix just wish I'd fixed it *prior* to the point where I was injured)

Two other doors just don't remotely align with their holes so don't close, one is mounted so it covers all the light switches for the room and blocks the hallway when opened, another one is an exterior door that has a five inch gap under it, another one has a large hole in it and cardboard nailed to either side to cover the hole (an old doggy door I think), one is mounted on the wrong part of the frame. And that doesn't even get into the cupboard doors, several of which there is no way to actually open that I've been able to determine, they each lock the other into place.

Not a single one in the whole house works properly except the bathroom door (which looks like a normal door but is actually a folding door, I like that one)

Plenty of stuff probably needs the attention more from a practical long term perspective, but I know the doors are absolutely gonna make me miserable until they are fixed, even the minor problem ones.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 16, 2023

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

High current devices and UPSes generally don't play well together. Our Copiers at work are turned off during rain storms that have a chance of causing brown outs because although they have some lightning protection, they draw too much power while printing to not quickly kill a UPS.

You probably wanna pick one designed for a pump system.

Battery backed sump pumps are a thing you can apparently add-on. They use a big deep cycle car battery and are 12v pumps. Plugging your existing pump into a battery doesn't seem like a great idea.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think I'll just deal with a shower curtain that is not capable of lacerating me thanks.

Please use the scientific term, a "bitch rear end shower curtain"

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I have officially graduated from the home buying thread and I am here with my first struggle to share...

I plugged in a Ryobi router in the shed and turned it on and immediately blew the circuit and had no power out there. I come inside, check the breaker box and none of them are tripped, however I also notice that our wifi is down - the router and modem plugged into an outlet in one corner of the living room have no power. Another outlet a few feet down the wall is a GFCI receptacle and has tripped, and when I reset that the router & modem come back on. Still no power to the shed...

So two questions:

1) is it normal for receptacles to be wired in series so that if a GFCI is tripped another one downstream of it is out as well?
2) what the hell do I even check next for restoring power to my shed? There's no breakers in the shed and the power just comes up out of the floor, so I assume it's run underground directly from the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jato posted:

I have officially graduated from the home buying thread and I am here with my first struggle to share...

I plugged in a Ryobi router in the shed and turned it on and immediately blew the circuit and had no power out there. I come inside, check the breaker box and none of them are tripped, however I also notice that our wifi is down - the router and modem plugged into an outlet in one corner of the living room have no power. Another outlet a few feet down the wall is a GFCI receptacle and has tripped, and when I reset that the router & modem come back on. Still no power to the shed...

So two questions:

1) is it normal for receptacles to be wired in series so that if a GFCI is tripped another one downstream of it is out as well?
2) what the hell do I even check next for restoring power to my shed? There's no breakers in the shed and the power just comes up out of the floor, so I assume it's run underground directly from the house

1) Yes, very common. It allows a single GFCI to protect a bunch of outlets, especially useful in a kitchen.

2) If you're sure the router cutting off happened at the same time that gives you a starting point. "Test" the GFCI to trip it and make note of which outlets cut off. Then cut off the power to that entire circuit at the breaker panel and start pulling those receptacles, starting with the one furthest from the GFCI. You're looking for newer different wire exiting the box, that's probably where Gary tapped into the circuit to go to the shed.