Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Raw, fresh sage is not an ingredient to be used lightly. It's basically a rule to never use it uncooked (it won't harm you though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
There's something cool going on over in the Enclosed Pool Area you guys should know about. TheSwizzler is starting up Something Awful Wrestling, in which he creates custom wrestlers in WWE2k23 based on forums posters who sign up and declare a favorite subforum of theirs to represent. Your wrestler is put into AI-controlled wrestling matches streamed on Twitch where you'll fight for titles, forge alliances and rivalries, and talk poo poo about each other in promos posted in the thread. This is an offshoot of the very fun Imp Zone Wrestling Federation which I got to be a part of briefly before it went on hiatus. Currently I'm the only one representing GWS, so if anyone else wants to get in on the action, now's the time!

Check out the thread here. Even if you don't sign up (and why wouldn't you) it'll still be a lot of fun to watch. Consider your avatar when signing up, too, and what advantages it might grant you. Wroughtirony might make a really good wrestler, just sayin'.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
is there a way to make brussel sprouts not taste so bitter?

or is that how its suppose to always taste

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GateOfD posted:

How are you prepping & cooking them?

Older sprouts will be more bitter, trim any loose leaves or try blanching them first. More salt or acid can help balance too.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
They’ve been making genetic improvements via selective breeding to brussels sprouts to make them less bitter, but roasting them is a good way to prepare them. Pretty simple, just halve and roast them them some oil and salt and pepper, or whatever seasoning you think is appropriate. A lot of veggies have a whole different taste after roasting.

Personally I prepare them by taking them off the stalk, halving, soaking in salted water for a while (I tend to buy them from farmers markets and they come with friends!) then boiling to tendercrisp. Butter, lemon, sat and pepper. Everything bagel seasoning worked quite well the time I tried it, though leave out the lemon in that case.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

I have a week to figure out a vegan birria tacos. I'm thinking dried shiitake mushroom based broth but jackfruit is out for the filling, I can't seem find it without prepackaged sauce anywhere in my area. Not sure what else to use.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
King oyster mushrooms.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

enoki mushrooms

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
We are finally getting the hang of the stand mixer pasta extruder, went ahead and made a whole kilo of pasta last night. Bucatini finally held shape right for dinner, but we went ahead and made a bunch of fusilli and rigatoni to put in the dehydrator.

Today the fusilli lacks both spring and tenderness when I boiled it- any tips on storing homemade pasta?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

pandy fackler posted:

I have a week to figure out a vegan birria tacos. I'm thinking dried shiitake mushroom based broth but jackfruit is out for the filling, I can't seem find it without prepackaged sauce anywhere in my area. Not sure what else to use.

Use shredded jackfruit as the base - it will have the best texture for this use. Flavor with all the normal birria flavors, but also add a healthy slug of marmite or something to bump up the umami and "brown" flavors.

mystes
May 31, 2006

pandy fackler posted:

If you can't get canned jackfruit maybe try hearts of palm?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bloody ghost titty posted:

We are finally getting the hang of the stand mixer pasta extruder, went ahead and made a whole kilo of pasta last night. Bucatini finally held shape right for dinner, but we went ahead and made a bunch of fusilli and rigatoni to put in the dehydrator.

Today the fusilli lacks both spring and tenderness when I boiled it- any tips on storing homemade pasta?

The issue is in the drying process - it's an incredibly finicky process. French Guy Alex did a multi part series interviewing and getting coaching from professionals and a month later got something passable but IIRC he still says basically "make and cook fresh pasta right away, buy dried pasta"

https://youtu.be/-qcN4Zp3sVk

He never tried to freeze it, which might work for your usage, but will still end up with fresh style not dried style.

E: something fun from the series: pre industrial, the best regions for dried pasta get hourly changing weather, with conditions changing across sunny / cool shade / dry / humid and the mountain breeze did what $500,000 industrial driers do today

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 17, 2023

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
This is both exactly what I was hoping for and slightly depressing. The goal is just to get to like, the local Italian speciality store’s quality of dried. Maybe I just apprentice there for a few months (being under employed with a breadwinner partner has to have upsides…)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

The issue is in the drying process - it's an incredibly finicky process. French Guy Alex did a multi part series interviewing and getting coaching from professionals and a month later got something passable but IIRC he still says basically "make and cook fresh pasta right away, buy dried pasta"

https://youtu.be/-qcN4Zp3sVk

He never tried to freeze it, which might work for your usage, but will still end up with fresh style not dried style.

E: something fun from the series: pre industrial, the best regions for dried pasta get hourly changing weather, with conditions changing across sunny / cool shade / dry / humid and the mountain breeze did what $500,000 industrial driers do today

bloody ghost titty posted:

This is both exactly what I was hoping for and slightly depressing. The goal is just to get to like, the local Italian speciality store’s quality of dried. Maybe I just apprentice there for a few months (being under employed with a breadwinner partner has to have upsides…)

Phone posting from work, so can’t watch the video to see if Alex addresses it, but in general, rolled doughs with egg/any fats are way harder to dry than pastas made from just semolina and water. If bgt is just doing extruded doughs with flour/water, there is hope.

I worked at a Roman-focused restaurant for a while as the pasta prep chef, and learned a lot from our Italian exec. Dehydrator wrecks the texture, and often warps the shape. All of our extruded shapes went onto a big sheet tray with 1/2in deep semolina, then covered with a heavy cover of more semolina. You shouldn’t be able to see any exposed pasta.

After 24hrs the semolina had sucked out enough moisture that the shapes were set and they could be dumped over a big cooling wrack to separate from the semolina and finish drying over the next 48hrs. The remaining semolina was then dried in a low oven for reuse.

I can post more/answer questions later, but headed to a meeting now.

Edit: this was in VERY dry Colorado. If you live someplace with high humidity, I cannot vouch for results.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 17, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rather than get into details of the exact difficulties, note that Alex gave up. The guy who builds custom machines and flies around to talk to experts tapped out on home made dried pasta.

It's still a very interesting series.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

Phone posting from work, so can’t watch the video to see if Alex addresses it, but in general, rolled doughs with egg/any fats are way harder to dry than pastas made from just semolina and water. If bgt is just doing extruded doughs with flour/water, there is hope.

I worked at a Roman-focused restaurant for a while as the pasta prep chef, and learned a lot from our Italian exec. Dehydrator wrecks the texture, and often warps the shape. All of our extruded shapes went onto a big sheet tray with 1/2in deep semolina, then covered with a heavy cover of more semolina. You shouldn’t be able to see any exposed pasta.

After 24hrs the semolina had sucked out enough moisture that the shapes were set and they could be dumped over a big cooling wrack to separate from the semolina and finish drying over the next 48hrs. The remaining semolina was then dried in a low oven for reuse.

I can post more/answer questions later, but headed to a meeting now.

Edit: this was in VERY dry Colorado. If you live someplace with high humidity, I cannot vouch for results.

This is quite helpful- we are just doing semolina & water for the extruder, egg pasta gets free handed into tagliatelle or lasagna. I’ll share with my partner and see what’s good- if not, we didn’t waste much semolina in making the rigatoni.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

GateOfD posted:

Do you find other brassicas (kale, broccoli, etc.) bitter? I ask because you might be a supertaster. I am one, and I find I can eat most of them if there is something to play off the bitter taste (roasting brussel sprouts with maple syrup, in their case), but some I can't stand at all (broccoli).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'd like help debugging a recipe.

I made this peach-saffron cake from the SF Chronicle and it turned out excellent, although it was a journey to get there. I creamed together butter and sugar and then, as directed, added all other liquid ingredients and mixed. It split. It looked exactly like a curdled hollandaise. I tried hand whipping it. I tried mixer-whipping it. Finally, in desperation, I grated a little butter into a container, added some of the split mixture, and immersion-blended. That did the trick. I immersion-blended all of the split mixture until it was smooth, then added the dry ingredients and the peaches. The results were wonderful.

My theory is that the recipe as shown tries to add too much liquid to the butter, too fast. I think that when I try it next, I'll cream the butter, add one egg, mix, add the other egg, mix, add the yogurt, mix, and add flavorings. I think this will give the butter a chance to emulsify with each new ingredient. Your thoughts?

Entire recipe in spoiler below, in case you can't get past the paywall.

quote:

Peach and Saffron Cake

Serves 8 to 10

Bits of peaches, along with floral notes of saffron and cardamom, adorn this beautiful yet delicate and moist cake. The cake comes together quickly and is best served with the Saffron Whipped Cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Take it to your next summer soiree and watch the cake get fawned over within minutes.

Saffron Milk

¼ cup whole milk

2 pinches (about ½ teaspoon) saffron

Cake

1 cup all-purpose flour

½ cup almond flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon freshly ground cardamom

1 teaspoon table salt

1 stick plus 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar

1½ teaspoons vanilla extract

½ teaspoon almond extract

2 large eggs

⅓ cup Greek yogurt

⅔ cup just ripe yellow peaches (about 2 medium peaches), cut into tiny cubes, plus 1½ yellow peaches, cut into ⅛-slices, and additional slices for serving

1-2 tablespoons turbinado sugar

Saffron Whipped Cream

¾ cup cold heavy cream

3 tablespoons powdered sugar

Saffron Milk (recipe below)

Make the Saffron Milk: Heat the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add the saffron to the milk and let sit. The color of the saffron will slowly stain the milk a pretty yellow-orange hue. Mix to combine. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.

Make the Peach Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, add the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt. Whisk to combine.

Coat an 8-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Lightly spray the paper with cooking spray.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, add the butter and the sugar. Starting slowly and gradually increasing the speed to high, cream the mixture, until the color is a pale yellow and the butter looks fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Using a rubber spatula, clean the sides of the bowl to bring the mixture to the center. Add half of the Saffron Milk (about 2 tablespoons), vanilla extract, almond extract, eggs and yogurt, and mix to combine. The mixture should look homogenous.

Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing after each addition, until just combined. Fold in the peach pieces with a rubber spatula, until well distributed.

Add the batter to the pan. Spread with a small offset spatula to make the top even.

Layer the peach slices in a fish scale pattern, starting at the bottom of the pan, overlapping them slightly as you layer up to the top of the cake. Distribute the turbinado sugar evenly on top of the cake. (Use 1 tablespoon if your peaches are already extremely sweet; use 2 if they are slightly tart.)

Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the cake is light brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let the cake rest for 1 hour.

Place a plate over the cake and invert the pan to release the cake. Remove the parchment paper. Place the serving plate on top of the bottom of the cake, and invert again to reveal the pattern on top of the cake.

Saffron Whipped Cream: In the bowl of a stand mixer, with a whisk attachment, add the heavy cream and powdered sugar, along with the remaining saffron milk. Whisk at high for about 1 minute, until it forms soft peaks. Do not overwhip, or else the whipped cream will not be smooth.

Serve the cake with the Saffron Whipped Cream and additional peach slices on the side.

Note: The cake will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days, but it is best eaten the day of.

e: I used only one pinch of saffron because that poo poo's expensive. It tasted beautifully of saffron, and I don't think more would have been an improvement.

Pictures of the whole cake and of a slice with saffron cream.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 19, 2023

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'd like help debugging a recipe.

Cake looks gorgeous! Saffron and peaches are fantastic together. That said, I think I may know what caused the problem. It sounds like when you added the wet Ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar it didn't emulsify like it should. Any chance you added the eggs to the creamed butter without beating them first? The egg yolks have all the emulsifier inside them, and if you add them unbeaten, it can cause something similar. If that isn't the case, my other thought would be ingredient temperature. Emulsions work best when everything is the same temperature, so cold milk and eggs hitting room temp butter and sugar could cause the same problem. The grated cold butter could have been enough to bring the temps closer together, making emulsion more likely.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A NEW ICSA RISES FROM THE ASHES

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ordered 64 oz mason jars from walmart for cold brew but they sent me 16 oz jars instead (randomly delivered from a store) and now the 6 packs of 64 oz jars are listed as out of stock both online and in stores (since yesterday? why is walmart's website so weird about stuff like that)

I'm kind of annoyed but I guess I need more 16 oz ones too since I use them for sauces and stuff so I guess I'll just complain to this thread rather than sending them back and order 2 individual 64 oz ones or something and have to wait a few more days to make cold brew

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 20, 2023

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Goddamned store is charging $1.60/lb for courgette which. Wtf y’all. That is offensive. Good luck icsa-ers!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Oooh, just had a friend tell me that they had a bounty of zucchini, looks like I'm taking some off his hands.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mystes posted:

I ordered 64 oz mason jars from walmart for cold brew but they sent me 16 oz jars instead (randomly delivered from a store) and now the 6 packs of 64 oz jars are listed as out of stock both online and in stores (since yesterday? why is walmart's website so weird about stuff like that)

I'm kind of annoyed but I guess I need more 16 oz ones too since I use them for sauces and stuff so I guess I'll just complain to this thread rather than sending them back and order 2 individual 64 oz ones or something and have to wait a few more days to make cold brew

Start the return process, sometimes they'll just give you the refund and let you keep the product

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

dino. posted:

Goddamned store is charging $1.60/lb for courgette which. Wtf y’all. That is offensive. Good luck icsa-ers!

Weird, just passed a store yesterday that had a 9¢ per pound zucchini. Not sure if I truly believe it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mintymenman posted:

Cake looks gorgeous! Saffron and peaches are fantastic together. That said, I think I may know what caused the problem. It sounds like when you added the wet Ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar it didn't emulsify like it should. Any chance you added the eggs to the creamed butter without beating them first? The egg yolks have all the emulsifier inside them, and if you add them unbeaten, it can cause something similar. If that isn't the case, my other thought would be ingredient temperature. Emulsions work best when everything is the same temperature, so cold milk and eggs hitting room temp butter and sugar could cause the same problem. The grated cold butter could have been enough to bring the temps closer together, making emulsion more likely.
Bingo. Thank you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Start the return process, sometimes they'll just give you the refund and let you keep the product
It was going to make me print a FedEx label and it just came in a bag so there's no way it's safe to ship via FedEx that way.

I could try to argue with them via chat or something but I almost decided to also buy a set of 16 oz ones when I was placing the order and just decided not to at the last minute, and it was cheap so I think it makes more sense to just keep them.

I'm mainly just annoyed because I also bought a set of nifty cold press infusers and lids for the 64 oz ones and now I won't be able to use them for a bit longer (I want to brew cold press now!)

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 20, 2023

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mystes posted:

It was going to make me print a FedEx label and it just came in a bag so there's no way it's safe to ship via FedEx that way.

I could try to argue with them via chat or something but I almost decided to also buy a set of 16 oz ones when I was placing the order and just decided not to at the last minute, and it was cheap so I think it makes more sense to just keep them.

I'm mainly just annoyed because I also bought a set of nifty cold press infusers and lids for the 64 oz ones and now I won't be able to use them for a bit longer (I want to brew cold press now!)

OK, so here’s the deal; you can go through the entire return process and if you simply don’t get a refund through the process and it really does actually want you to ship them you don’t actually have to ship them. They’re still just going to charge you what you expect to pay so it’s no sweat off your brow. on the other hand, you could potentially get a couple dollars worth of free mason jars. If you don’t, then the Walton family is going to make a little bit more money than they wouldn’t have otherwise and so honestly, it’s your loving patriotic duty as a red blooded American to do your best to try to gently caress the Waltons out of every goddamn cent otherwise they’re just going to continue to take over every bit of America in this godforsaken hellscape of oligarch domination along with Jeff Bezos, and we’re all going to die being owned by the company store. Do the right loving thing and gently caress them in the rear end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I wrong in feeling crock pots are basically pointless? I loved them in my young adulthood, because it made it easy to make stuff like slow cooked meat that seemed like an exotic form of cooking to me at the time. But my mom co-opted my crock pot over a decade ago and I don't think there is a single thing I haven't been able to make with the exact same results with a pot on the stove set to low. In fact I am pretty sure he stove is superior since its easier to adjust the temp a bit on the fly.

I guess if you go to a lot of pot lucks they are nice, but I can't honestly think of a single cooking related reason crockpots need to exist.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not everyone is home all day to watch a pot on the stove, and/or not everyone thinks it’s a good idea to leave an open flame unattended for 8+ hours

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't see the difference between leaving the stove on low and a crock pot tbh.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Anne Whateley posted:

Not everyone is home all day to watch a pot on the stove, and/or not everyone thinks it’s a good idea to leave an open flame unattended for 8+ hours

I just put a cast iron pot in the oven at low temperature. Should be as safe as using a slow cooker.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Am I wrong in feeling crock pots are basically pointless? I loved them in my young adulthood, because it made it easy to make stuff like slow cooked meat that seemed like an exotic form of cooking to me at the time. But my mom co-opted my crock pot over a decade ago and I don't think there is a single thing I haven't been able to make with the exact same results with a pot on the stove set to low. In fact I am pretty sure he stove is superior since its easier to adjust the temp a bit on the fly.

I guess if you go to a lot of pot lucks they are nice, but I can't honestly think of a single cooking related reason crockpots need to exist.

We don’t cook meat at home and as a result I find I never use the slow cooker function that my rice cooker has.

I would not get a slow cooker just for the sake of having one either

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i pretty much never cook in mine, but I do use it as a serving dish at potluck thingys

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crock pots are fine but their big strength is that you don't get hot spots. If you can manage your heat with another vessel on the stove or just throw something in the oven yeah of course it's the same.

I might be willing to concede that they are more energy efficient than stovetop or oven due to the insulating quality of the ceramic but I don't think it's a big difference.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

veni veni veni posted:

I don't see the difference between leaving the stove on low and a crock pot tbh.
That’s just, like, your opinion, man. If you said the oven, then I’d probably agree it’s pretty close. But an unattended open flame on the stovetop is obviously more dangerous, especially if you have pets, open windows, etc.

Even if you think it’s fine, a lot of people don’t, and that’s why crock pots are a thing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

veni veni veni posted:

A (modern) slow cooker is designed never to get hot enough to start a fire, and will have a thermal fuse to insure it doesn't. Ovens and ranges are designed to allow much higher cooking temperatures, so any thermal fuse will be somewhere like the exhaust path, which means the heating elements and stuff in the oven/on the stove can get much hotter. Which is why cooking is the leading cause of house fires.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
You're all loving monsters if you don't use the crock pot to knock up a batch of beans to sort out into daal when you get home. Or mulled wine for holiday parties, and it keeps warm for like 2 days. Or, keep mashed potatoes piping hot with a double boiler situation. Make your mashed potatoes, throw them in a bowl, put them in a crock pot of hot water, and set to low heat, then let it hang out for several hours while the fuckers who swore they'd be there at 3 pm show up at 6 pm. It's lovely to make kootu. Throw a boat ton of veggies in, a spot of fenugreek seeds, a bit of moong daal, salt, and finely ground desiccated coconut, and let it park in there on low heat for like 6 hours. Finish with a spot of tarka, coconut milk, and salt, and it's heaven. It's all about making the tool work for you. I had been wanting one for years, and finally found one in a second hand store for $8. They cost like $20 on the amazon, and I'm not about to spend that kind of money on a cooking tool. Nuts to that!

ALSO ALSO ALSO. There is no better way to make a batch of boiled peanuts than in a slow cooker.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

You're all loving monsters if you don't use the crock pot to knock up a batch of beans to sort out into daal when you get home. Or mulled wine for holiday parties, and it keeps warm for like 2 days. Or, keep mashed potatoes piping hot with a double boiler situation. Make your mashed potatoes, throw them in a bowl, put them in a crock pot of hot water, and set to low heat, then let it hang out for several hours while the fuckers who swore they'd be there at 3 pm show up at 6 pm. It's lovely to make kootu. Throw a boat ton of veggies in, a spot of fenugreek seeds, a bit of moong daal, salt, and finely ground desiccated coconut, and let it park in there on low heat for like 6 hours. Finish with a spot of tarka, coconut milk, and salt, and it's heaven. It's all about making the tool work for you. I had been wanting one for years, and finally found one in a second hand store for $8. They cost like $20 on the amazon, and I'm not about to spend that kind of money on a cooking tool. Nuts to that!

ALSO ALSO ALSO. There is no better way to make a batch of boiled peanuts than in a slow cooker.

I cook my beans and chickpeas, et cetera in a pressure cooker :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I got an instant pot the crockpot never came out again. This is partially because the instant pot has a crock pot setting, but partially because when I forget to start something in the morning I can still come home and go from zero to dal in 20 minutes.