Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Prof. Banks posted:

Get over this doomer horseshit, it allows you to absolve yourself in your own mind and does nothing to help anything. It's also incredibly tiring.

And lmao if you think kids picking short term over long is a new thing. It's a very well established fact of child psychology.

The hell you talking about? I'm saying that adults aren't doing so hot at thinking of the long term either. How the hell is that doomer?

Thank gently caress I'm not one of your students, I wouldn't have any respect for you either you senile old windbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

carrionman posted:

The hell you talking about? I'm saying that adults aren't doing so hot at thinking of the long term either. How the hell is that doomer?

Thank gently caress I'm not one of your students, I wouldn't have any respect for you either you senile old windbag.

Everyone chill. I also kinda read your post as saying that the state of the world made it hard to blame someone for taking brief pleasure while they're still able. Thanks for clarifying.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I read it as Wet Dove cum, but I'm not sure why you'd have a Wet Dream neon sign either.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
thats meant to be an R?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Non Compos Mentis posted:

thats meant to be an R?

The cursive lowercase r is... cursed.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I read it as wet dweam which is also bad

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

It's a classic, for sure..

"
Only in {USER REGION} are the people soooo quirky!
Only in {USER REGION} is the weather soooo capricious!
Only in {USER REGION} are the drivers soooo crazy!
Only in...
"

I'm not saying that there aren't outliers (LA genuinely is poo poo to drive in) but it's funny to see so many claimants to these titles

Keep Calm and {USER REGION} On.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

for fucks sake posted:

The cursive lowercase r is... cursed.

The gently caress is that loop? GIS 'cursive' and most of them just got it as a straight line

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

The gently caress is that loop? GIS 'cursive' and most of them just got it as a straight line

When I was a kid I was taught to include the weird loop too. A lot of letters had that weird useless loop at times.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Cursive was a scam by the pencil and pen industry to sell more pencils and pens because it uses more lead/ink and we all fell for it.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Jul 16, 2023

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/shinohara_kenta/status/1680413797360742401

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Unperson_47 posted:

Cursive was a scam by the pencil and pen industry to sell more pencils and pens because it uses more lead/ink and we all fell for it.

Printing made my hand cramp up and I was kept in from recess for writing too slow until we learned cursive so: gently caress you :mad:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Cursive is cool and good actually and I wish I was capable of reproducing the handwriting of the Declaration of Independence.

Russin cursive is, however, extremely cursed,

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Cursive is good and fun and every time it comes up it's like a siren song for every attention seeking millennial to crash into the place and one-up each other with how traumatized they are by the swirly writing so it's also cool for that reason

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

dialhforhero posted:

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/990634669350809601

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cursive lmao. Yeah lets waste time and resources teaching children a second way to write the same language, purely to make old boomers feel better I guess? Like, why?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Whooping Crabs posted:

I would hope any water they are dispensing is fart free, now I'm concerned

It's called Flint

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Heath posted:

Cursive is good and fun and every time it comes up it's like a siren song for every attention seeking millennial to crash into the place and one-up each other with how traumatized they are by the swirly writing so it's also cool for that reason

sorry but cursive is a scam perpetuated by Big Quill

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To stop those lazy entitled millennials from trying to get a job at my small business, I'm going to require that they submit an application in cursive, HAW HAW HAW

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Data Graham posted:

To stop those lazy entitled millennials from trying to get a job at my small business, I'm going to require that they submit an application in cursive, HAW HAW HAW

*Goes out of business*

"No oNe wAnTs to WoRk aNyMoRe!" :freep:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

dialhforhero posted:

Cursive is cool and good actually and I wish I was capable of reproducing the handwriting of the Declaration of Independence.

Cursive is just the poo poo you do with a regular pen. Seems like you want to know calligraphy. I took calligraphy when I was younger and yes it is pretty dope.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Killingyouguy! posted:

There's a number of different styles. Inexplicably, some schools taught the stupid flowery variants.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
LOOPS ARE WOKE

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's a number of different styles. Inexplicably, some schools taught the stupid flowery variants.

well christ no wonder some people think cursive is bullshit

it's a far more efficient way to write by hand when you aren't doing extra poo poo

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Cursive is for old people who still skin their on vegetables lol

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
Re: cursive chat

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

nullandvoid posted:

Recursive chat

Good thread description

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My daughter is an elementary school teacher and says cursive is still taught today. Also my younger children still learned it not that long ago in like third or fourth grade

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good. Not teaching it was kinda freakin me out.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Back when I was a lad, in third grade, I was taught script penmanship with a fountain pen. Ball-point pens were the preferable instrument of the older kids & adults - but to teach us, we used Pelikans.

You don't lift a fountain pen from the page unless & until you absolutely have to. You want to avoid 'blotting' ink, so the training was to write smooth and continuously with a light touch. Changes in direction thus created loops.

That's an American script "r." Wait until you see the English style, which is was I was taught.

Years later, I moved back to the US and started mixing the two styles, so my handwriting is really hosed-up. But I dumped the "s" and "r" immediately.

nullandvoid posted:

Re: cursive chat

:corsair:

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Jul 17, 2023

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

carrionman posted:

Because "Have you looked at the world recently?" is a very common doomer thing to say. Lol, glad to know that misunderstanding your poorly worded argument makes me a "senile old windbag". It's good that you're not one of my students as that inability to adequately present your thoughts would certainly cost you points on any written assignment.

Anyways, regardless of the failings of adults to consider the future, kids are still measurably worse.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Prof. Banks posted:

Because "Have you looked at the world recently?" is a very common doomer thing to say. Lol, glad to know that misunderstanding your poorly worded argument makes me a "senile old windbag". It's good that you're not one of my students as that inability to adequately present your thoughts would certainly cost you points on any written assignment.

Anyways, regardless of the failings of adults to consider the future, kids are still measurably worse.

Hey. Shut the gently caress up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Prof. Banks posted:

:thanks:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Killingyouguy! posted:

That’s a Capitol printed R next to a lowercase cursive r, or so my extreme training in public Arizona schools has taught me.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Bonus points for really poorly done "watercolor"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
tAt too dESign is my pa ssIoN

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
The tattoo artist really should have tightened up the kerning on that one..

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
See, this is why you need to learn real cursive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I really don't want to drink with any rapists thank you very much.