Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

It is just me or is the Talus arm throw a lot more accurate in this game? I swear I kept getting duffed while running laterally thinking I used to dodge it easily that way in BotW.

Just use recall once it’s detached

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

It's fine, he's impact proof
I don't think I've ever had a more visceral reaction to a video game than when I jumped off a sky island and did a fast nosedive into a pool of water, and it turned out to be shallow water.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

It is just me or is the Talus arm throw a lot more accurate in this game? I swear I kept getting duffed while running laterally thinking I used to dodge it easily that way in BotW.

Yeah I can never manage to dodge it, seems like it tracks you. But, yeah, recall solves that problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I can never manage to dodge it, seems like it tracks you. But, yeah, recall solves that problem.

son of a

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Found the Juniu Shrine.

Coming in, I saw it through a slit that's impossible to climb up in a damp cave without frog gear. Oh look some water I'll just make an ice bridge. It kept slipping out before I could climb up. Ah ha! Recall so it stays there and now I got it. Oh hey rocks to bomb... That lead to the moat. I could have just swam son of a...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol (I don't consider anything in this video to be a spoiler because we all figure that we will fight Gannon in the game)

https://twitter.com/pm0200kt/status/1680551373287624704?s=20

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
1) Combat in this game is a lot more fun and chaotic because of all of the weapons. It also seems like it's easier to die from any given encounter. I haven't stacked like a million hearts, but it's not like I'm walking around with 3, and it still seems like I'm dying more than I did in BOTW. It makes it feel like there are bigger stakes in the fight scenes.

2) I totally missed that the lookout landing is basically another round of tutorial with all the important quest nuggets- I feel like I spent so much time on sky island that I was ready to get out into the world, and I had unlocked all the towers and added two more loops to my stamina wheel before going back (I had to look up how to get heroes path) and learning that I could activate a shrine sensor. Lol.

3) I'm almost done with getting all the lightroots activated, but there are a few under the castle. Ive done 2 of the 4 regional phenomenon - if I try to go activate the lightroot that's close to/under the castle am I going to accidentally start the endgame stuff before I want to?

4) Wow this game owns.

5) Is there anything to do with crystalized charges after you've maxed out your battery packs? I keep finding things underground that lead to more and more v. large crystalized charges, which makes me wish I hadn't spent my zonaaite on them.

6) it seems like there are a million little side-quests in the game, some of them enormous and tedious, and it's hard to tell which ones might be really useful, or might just be 100 rupees.

Let me know if I should spoiler any of this. I've been trying not to read the thread - I haven't done a few of the more 'core' parts of the game/story portion yet.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Have you ACTUALLY maxed out your battery packs? :agesilaus:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m impressed you got that deep into the game without doing lookout landing lol. I did the same thing striking out into the world immediately but pretty quickly decided that there is no way the game is supposed to be this punishing. Like when you activated a tower without the glider did you just faceplant and die? How did you get 2 full stamina wheels without the glider? I feel like I must be misunderstanding you.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

road potato posted:

3) I'm almost done with getting all the lightroots activated, but there are a few under the castle. Ive done 2 of the 4 regional phenomenon - if I try to go activate the lightroot that's close to/under the castle am I going to accidentally start the endgame stuff before I want to?

No - the lightroot directly under the Castle is basically at the very beginning of the homestretch, so if you just grab that and then teleport back out you won’t spoil a thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Docjowles posted:

I’m impressed you got that deep into the game without doing lookout landing lol. I did the same thing striking out into the world immediately but pretty quickly decided that there is no way the game is supposed to be this punishing. Like when you activated a tower without the glider did you just faceplant and die? How did you get 2 full stamina wheels without the glider? I feel like I must be misunderstanding you.
can you do towers without the glider? i thought turning the towers on so you can use them, and getting the glider, happened in the same cutscene

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Credits roll. Hell of a game. Found all the Addisons and bubbulgems, don't think I have anything left that I'm particularly itching to complete. I still want to play but I'll leave that hunger for DLC.

Some of this ending/credits music sounds exactly like Rosa's theme in FF4.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

road potato posted:

5) Is there anything to do with crystalized charges after you've maxed out your battery packs? I keep finding things underground that lead to more and more v. large crystalized charges, which makes me wish I hadn't spent my zonaaite on them.

Dude who swaps them for batteries will swap for Zonai devices instead once you're maxed.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

loquacius posted:

Yeah, they were the only classic set I had a quest breadcrumb for but I think having gotten them I'm just gonna look up where the NES and OoT sets are and leave the rest of them

No lmao

The LA set and Fierce Diety sets have side quests attached to them, the rest are all in the depths and have Old Maps in the sky islands that point towards them.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Oh, I guess I did the glider quest and maybe started the one about the hyrule field chasm but after that I figured the area was clear.

Runcible Cat posted:

Dude who swaps them for batteries will swap for Zonai devices instead once you're maxed.

Thanks! I just fought the 3rd depths version of the air temple boss, so once I do other temples I guess there's another 900 crystal charges around to collect if I want to chase down all of those. Or so I'm assuming.

Is there some sort of lead/hint somewhere that explains the lost woods and why everyone in there is totally brain-dead? I don't necessarily need to know what//where it is, but just to know if there's some sort of bread crumb out in the world that might help me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cojawfee posted:

I'm really glad I just happened to explore that area because I remembered what it was from botw because that helmet has made it so easy to cheese s bunch of stuff. That and the helmet that makes me unfreezeable.
the what

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

road potato posted:

Is there some sort of lead/hint somewhere that explains the lost woods and why everyone in there is totally brain-dead? I don't necessarily need to know what//where it is, but just to know if there's some sort of bread crumb out in the world that might help me.

I'm not sure explain explain, but if you hunt around you can find what's causing it...

Zant's unfreezable helmet from BotW is in TotK too.

Not sure why they never got around to giving us a fireproof helmet. Volvagia's Helmet or something.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

You can find Zant's fish-head helmet from Twilight Princess in a chest in the Depths. It makes you unfreezable for some reason

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm not sure explain explain, but if you hunt around you can find what's causing it...

If this is too vague, search the Deku Tree

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

road potato posted:

If you get enough korok seeds they will start talking about how everyone in the lost woods is acting weird. Once that happens, the deku tree will explain more. So collect more korok seeds

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

That was the intended way right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7h2Hv4qEtE

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok!
Found the last two shrines: they were both orange ones I must have skipped. One was raurus blessing so I probably got bored with the unlocking and stopped playing and forgot

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Poque posted:

The Taluses with butt crystals parallel to the ground can gently caress off

I'm gonna start leaving lightscale tridents in all of y'alls houses until you learn to use spears

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They intended to get where they wanted to go, and they succeeded in doing so!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawk posted:

I'm gonna start leaving lightscale tridents in all of y'alls houses until you learn to use spears

Spears in totk are so so so good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I like spears but they don't get a compensation for durability.

Also, the game lies to you about their damage output, raising spears and lowering two-handers :tinfoil:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

HootTheOwl posted:

I like spears but they don't get a compensation for durability.

Also, the game lies to you about their damage output, raising spears and lowering two-handers :tinfoil:

Yeah, but that's a direct result of fusing adding so much attack power, otherwise a those 172 damage Lightscale Tridents would trivialize the game because of how fast Link attacks with it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah, but that's a direct result of fusing adding so much attack power, otherwise a those 172 damage Lightscale Tridents would trivialize the game because of how fast Link attacks with it

Don't worry, the mobs have enough HP where it doesn't matter

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawk posted:

How does the spear help with the butt talus?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean, they still pretty much immediately kill Silver enemies, so I'll take it.

Bawkdad needed help killing his first Frost Gleeok when I stopped by for lunch on Friday (he had it down to 1/4 health but only had 80 arrows after exploring the depths for the first time, so 1 arrow left) and I got to show him what just the zora spear + silver enemy horn + Sidon's sage ability combo does, and then mentioned how the Lightscale Trident does the same thing but stronger when you use better parts.

He also has the Master Sword now, while doing the stuff pretty backwards to how I did it. He did the geoglyphs quest, missed the opportunity there, then at some point that afternoon he just said "gently caress it, I know I have to go into the Depths to reach Korok Forest so I'm going to just find a sky island tall enough to find the Light Dragon and grab it" Now that's he's done that, he feels prepped enough to go explore. Meanwhile, I bumrushed the forest immediately, beat the boss, got the quest, then had to collect stamina wheels until I had enough. Once I did all that, I finished the geoglyphs. Funny how different people can have such similar paths through the game, then do the same thing completely opposite :allears:

Sab0921 posted:

When you stun the Talus, the rock on the back is low enough that you can easily attack it with a spear without taking your feet off the ground. You can pretty much just Recall the rocks that it throws, and as soon as the rock is on its return trip, start sprinting behind it with a spear in-hand so you can get some combos off very quickly. A Lightscale Trident with the Sidon water buff will absolutely tear through any Talus health bar

bawk fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 17, 2023

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
this game usually makes me feel dumb instead of smart because all of the really clever uses of the powers come off the internet

I actually felt pretty smart when I (late game sage spoilers) attached a gloom club to mineru- her damage went from very bad to mostly bad

okay maybe this one won't be setting youtube on fire but i still felt pretty clever

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

if you ever want to have a fun time, fuse an opal and a topaz to Minny's attacks and play like normal. Every now and then, the results may shock you!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hit credits

game good

(big rear end spoilers)
I didn't see dragon ganon coming, I almost should of, which makes me fuckin love it. I kind of love just how committed Ganondorf is to being a huge piece of poo poo.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Doing the water temple first set my quest length expectations way off for the fire and air temples.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Has anyone figured out what to do with the korok targets stuck to the side of sky rocks? Arrows don't seem to do anything.

vvv Thanks! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 17, 2023

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

Has anyone figured out what to do with the korok targets stuck to the side of sky rocks? Arrows don't seem to do anything.

Climb onto it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Asterite34 posted:

As hilarious as I find the image of Tingle doing the equivalent of eating pennies all day, it's actually way more hosed up than that

It turns out "being Tingle" is a horrible curse inflicted on people by a Mammon-esque demon of greed named Uncle Rupee who enslaves poor dupes into empowering him by giving him Rupees in exchange for one day granting them entry into the paradise of "Rupeeland" (actually a horrifying Hell)

Okay, so... how do the magic words fit into this picture? What will happen to Tingle if someone steals them? Did he actually create them?

Sab0921 posted:

You poke it in the butt from the ground, like bawk said.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Okay, so... how do the magic words fit into this picture? What will happen to Tingle if someone steals them? Did he actually create them?

If you trick him into saying them backwards, it sends him back to the 5th Dimension

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I've been loving around doing the Stable quests after finishing the game last week.

I travelled by air mostly during my first play through so I missed a lot of stables. The stables are all so cute and quaint, the quests are so cozy, the music so good. They all have a slightly different atmosphere, and usually just enough wackiness to make them stand out. Good stuff nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
The stables have perfect vibes. If I've imbibed a bit too much and am not up to combat or exploration, palling around the stables is such a fun, cozy experience.