Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Can a T-72 really go that fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Risutora posted:

word. i hope the twist in the second part will be that the entity isnt actually malevolent and will end up running imf
i can't imagine the rogue intelligence agent, targeted for elimination by its own country, would end up being a good guy.

but seriously, i feel like having an ai that can effectively cripple any adversary's digital tools would kinda undermine any supposed threat in future movies. some dr. manhattan "this poo poo is beneath me, let me just chill in the cloud" ending seems more sensible.

e: Alternatively, the original AI was "built on brain scans of the IMF agents", realized this, and set this whole thing up to learn more about its "parents". The movie ends with Hunt letting the AI hide away in the cloud, where it promises it'll do what it can to keep the women in his life safe.

Eric Cantonese posted:

47 mph apparently

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Jul 16, 2023

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Eric Cantonese posted:

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i can't imagine the rogue intelligence agent, targeted for elimination by its own country, would end up being a good guy.

but seriously, i feel like having an ai that can effectively cripple any adversary's digital tools would kinda undermine any supposed threat in future movies. some dr. manhattan "this poo poo is beneath me, let me just chill in the cloud" ending seems more sensible.

e: Alternatively, the original AI was "built on brain scans of the IMF agents", realized this, and set this whole thing up to learn more about its "parents". The movie ends with Hunt letting the AI hide away in the cloud, where it promises it'll do what it can to keep the women in his life safe.

sure it wouldnt work if they want to keep on milking the franchise but it would be a nice hopeful stopping point for it. its not like cruise can keep on running much longer

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Risutora posted:

sure it wouldnt work if they want to keep on milking the franchise but it would be a nice hopeful stopping point for it. its not like cruise can keep on running much longer
i mean, if you want hopeful, i feel like the ai just getting to be free is better, like a digital superman who can just stop countries from even being able to wage war.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cruise should keep doing these until he literally dies during production imo. instant GOAT status if he gets incinerated by a saturn-V or eaten by crocodiles

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

i say swears online posted:

cruise should keep doing these until he literally dies during production imo. instant GOAT status if he gets incinerated by a saturn-V or eaten by crocodiles

that is one billion percent how he wants to die.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i mean, if you want hopeful, i feel like the ai just getting to be free is better, like a digital superman who can just stop countries from even being able to wage war.

yeah thats pretty much what i meant.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

As I understand it, the Dead Reckoning storyline are the final two M:I films.

But also, Samaritan The Entity will get us through The Great Filter. This world will become one. I have found the way. Race, tribal affiliations, national borders... even our faces will be irrelevant. The world that the Boss Ethan envisioned will finally become a reality, and it will make mankind whole again.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jul 16, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

As I understand it, the Dead Reckoning storyline are the final two M:I films.

There is zero chance they would leave themselves no way to continue the series. Also Tom Cruse most definitely thinks he can keep making these types of movies for minimum 10 more years.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mcmagic posted:

There is zero chance they would leave themselves no way to continue the series. Also Tom Cruse most definitely thinks he can keep making these types of movies for minimum 10 more years.

I genuinely hope Cruise doesn’t do what Disney is doing. If he can make them work, maybe. But Dead Reckoning kinda feels like a good place to start tying things up. He has good business nous, given how he got Paramount to not release Maverick during the pandemic main phase (unlike what happened to Tenet) and we all saw how Disney has screwed their golden geese lately.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wtf is Ethan Hunt doing at the International Monetary Fund anyway?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

Wtf is Ethan Hunt doing at the International Monetary Fund anyway?

The Dread Pirate Roberts asks that too.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ArmZ posted:

Buster Keaton would be proud

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I genuinely hope Cruise doesn’t do what Disney is doing. If he can make them work, maybe. But Dead Reckoning kinda feels like a good place to start tying things up. He has good business nous, given how he got Paramount to not release Maverick during the pandemic main phase (unlike what happened to Tenet) and we all saw how Disney has screwed their golden geese lately.

It's not like they are going to put out 4 MI movies and 5 TV shows a year of which 3 movies and 4 TV shows are dogshit. They can put a MI movie out every 3-4 years of MI:DR quality pretty much indefinitely and it seems like a fine thing to do unless this ends up being considered a big flop?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mcmagic posted:

It's not like they are going to put out 4 MI movies and 5 TV shows a year of which 3 movies and 4 TV shows are dogshit. They can put a MI movie out every 3-4 years of MI:DR quality pretty much indefinitely and it seems like a fine thing to do unless this ends up being considered a big flop?

Film is doing gang busters right now. Highest opening for an M:I film, IIRC. The people will come if it isn’t dreck. This year is kind of interesting in seeing what people consider worth their time given how Marvel and WB have dropped the ball.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

My kids do background work, and have worked on some awesome stuff including Star Wars projects including the upcoming Skeleton Crew show. I am a nerd, I am stoked my kids are in the Star Wars universe, but part of that work included being digitally scanned. Now, my kids are a part of the universe and could be used forever and ever. When we worked on the big Volume stage for The Mandalorian, the digital background was filled with either completely AI figures or other background actors who had been previously scanned. We have no control over their scanned images, we have no idea what will be done with them, and there is nothing we can do about it. It was a cool concept at first, who wouldn't want to be a part of that world?! But it makes me sick to think I signed over my kids' likenesses without any safety net. I am so grateful the union is taking this stuff seriously, my kids have been scanned on multiple jobs and I wish I had the foresight to question what would happen to their images.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

*sells child* whoah how did this happen

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mawarannahr posted:

My kids do background work, and have worked on some awesome stuff including Star Wars projects including the upcoming Skeleton Crew show. I am a nerd, I am stoked my kids are in the Star Wars universe, but part of that work included being digitally scanned. Now, my kids are a part of the universe and could be used forever and ever. When we worked on the big Volume stage for The Mandalorian, the digital background was filled with either completely AI figures or other background actors who had been previously scanned. We have no control over their scanned images, we have no idea what will be done with them, and there is nothing we can do about it. It was a cool concept at first, who wouldn't want to be a part of that world?! But it makes me sick to think I signed over my kids' likenesses without any safety net. I am so grateful the union is taking this stuff seriously, my kids have been scanned on multiple jobs and I wish I had the foresight to question what would happen to their images.

mawarannahr posted:

*sells child* whoah how did this happen

yeah lol what other possible use could there have been lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

I really don't think they are going to be able to use scans they already have forever with how big an issue it seems to be in the negotiations.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mcmagic posted:

I really don't think they are going to be able to use scans they already have forever with how big an issue it seems to be in the negotiations.

“Joan Is Awful” was the template they chose to base all their future revenue off. These are the guys who didn’t pick up on the SS uniforms in Starship Troopers after all.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Asteroid City is def the Wesest Andersonest movie yet, but also the funniest. I was actually surprised at how many gags they squeezed into almost every scene

mcmagic posted:

that is one billion percent how he wants to die.

I mean, that's the only possible explanation for his increasingly dangerous stunts. Dude has a deathwish

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

syq

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

McCloud posted:

Asteroid City is def the Wesest Andersonest movie yet, but also the funniest. I was actually surprised at how many gags they squeezed into almost every scene
:agreed:

also lol thats a great way to put it

i lolled at the theatrical marquee of 'Death of a Narcissistic'

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

McCloud posted:

I mean, that's the only possible explanation for his increasingly dangerous stunts. Dude has a deathwish

Tom Cruise is literally the “Witness Me!!!” guy from Mad Max.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I was rewatching MI 2 and Jesus Christ I didn’t realize his stunt insanity went that far back.

quote:

During the final fight scene between Ethan Hunt and Sean Ambrose, Tom Cruise insisted that a real knife be used. The knife was attached to a cable and was carefully measured to stop a quarter of an inch from Tom Cruise's eyeball, and the actor asked Dougray Scott to put his full strength down on the knife to get a realistic look for the scene

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

galagazombie posted:

Tom Cruise is literally the “Witness Me!!!” guy from Mad Max.

It's a solid comparison because the MI series and Fury Road are some of the only "real" action movies of recent years that aren't totally subsumed by weightless CGI. poo poo in those movies looks and feels very real because a lot of it was. If I had one complaint about MI it's that sometimes they needlessly embellish a stunt sequence with CGI where it isn't needed. Fury Road's use of CGI was perfect - just enough to give some background depth and color but it never gets in the way of the action.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cael posted:

I was rewatching MI 2 and Jesus Christ I didn’t realize his stunt insanity went that far back.

I think Cruise was always willing to go on the edge.

I remember when Born on the 4th of July came out, there were rumors that Cruise was willing to take a drug to paralyze himself as preparation for the role.

https://scorpiolikeyou.com/news/tom-cruise-tried-to-paralyze-himself-for-a-born-on-the-fourth-of-july-role_a131

quote:

According to various sources, Tom Cruise and Oliver Stone decided to use a special chemical drug that would paralyze the actor's legs for two whole days, allowing him to really connect with the role and understand his character. While Cruise was completely fine with such an experiment, the insurance company vetoed the idea, arguing that the actor might sustain a permanent disability.

Anyway, I'm sure he doesn't want to die in a stunt, but I think he likes the idea of defying death in increasingly crazy ways.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think Cruise was always willing to go on the edge.

I remember when Born on the 4th of July came out, there were rumors that Cruise was willing to take a drug to paralyze himself as preparation for the role.

https://scorpiolikeyou.com/news/tom-cruise-tried-to-paralyze-himself-for-a-born-on-the-fourth-of-july-role_a131

Anyway, I'm sure he doesn't want to die in a stunt, but I think he likes the idea of defying death in increasingly crazy ways.

just try acting! there's some weird poo poo going on between obsessive method acting and alienation

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

cruise doesn’t want to die doing stunts he’s just showing off the power of being clear

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Tom cruise is a real life movie star through and through. Dude loves his job. Shame about the scientology stuff

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

well maybe the scientologists are on to something.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i sort of subscribe to the take that all the psychic stuff is, in universe, a bunch of hokum, basically the equivalent of all the weird occult stuff Hitler believed.

like what do we really see Doogie Howser do with those abilities? play a computer game, tell his pet ferret to get out of his room, and do the "it's afraid!" thing (yeah no poo poo it's afraid)

hmmm interesting what happens if we apply this theory to the betazoids from star trek the next generation

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Big Bad Idiot posted:

fun fact she ran for head of SAG on a "vaccines aren't real" ticket during covid and won narrowly

cant help but feel like part of the reason no one is willing to take unions seriously anymore is because they keep electing clowns who run on a platform of more squirty flowers and longer shoes instead of like a right not to be screamed at by insane parents and angry children

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Guy TT posted:

cant help but feel like part of the reason no one is willing to take unions seriously anymore is because they keep electing clowns who run on a platform of more squirty flowers and longer shoes instead of like a right not to be screamed at by insane parents and angry children

Not sure why you're extrapolating the actors guild to literally all unions tbh. Of course they're gonna elect crackpots because actors are crackpots

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

RandolphCarter posted:

cruise doesn’t want to die doing stunts he’s just showing off the power of being clear

it's this, and it's a hell of a pitch

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watched Athena which kinda falls apart as it progresses, but the first 30 minutes or so is very strong. I can't imagine the logistics it took to coordinate a lot of those sequences.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

McCloud posted:

Paul Schrader had similar thoughts. https://www.indiewire.com/news/breaking-news/paul-schrader-asteroid-city-wes-anderson-masterpiece-1234876785/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

hmmm interesting what happens if we apply this theory to the betazoids from star trek the next generation

Betazoids are legit, except Troi who has to fake it because she's half-boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

McCloud posted:

the emotional storylines of his movies haven’t done anything for me in a while, i wish he’d just go full tati and do a near-silent full on gag comedy like playtime….. tall order tho