Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hogan came in several months before Savage and his first match in the company was beating Ric Flair for the WCW title in the main event.
Savage's first non-house-show match was a time limit draw against Arn Anderson for the WCW Television title.

I think that's probably a neat encapsulation of both how each man was used in the dawn of the Nitro era, and also a good example of why one was rejected for being shoved down their throats and the other one more or less embraced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This cover from PWI in 1988, I think, perfectly sums up the Hogan-Savage professional relationship

Only registered members can see post attachments!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Davros1 posted:

This cover from PWI in 1988, I think, perfectly sums up the Hogan-Savage professional relationship

Do you think Hogan was furious that he was behind Savage in that photo (even though the cover story is literally about Macho Man)?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

OSW Review had a thing on one of their Wrestlemania recap videos (8?) chronicling how nearly all of Savage’s big title wins were eclipsed by Hogan’s grandstanding. I think WM8 is the only time Savage won the main title of a company without Hogan coming out during/after the match to hot-dog-about and make it about the Hulkster instead of, you know, the guy that just won your World Title.

Funny how it played out the same way in WCW. Savage was past his prime, yeah, but imagine if he was able to get out of Hogan’s orbit and treated as the respected veteran he was (instead of yet-another one of “Hogan’s Friends”). Kind of astonishing the two guys worked together as much as they did considering Macho (deservedly) hated Hulk’s guts at times.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

haljordan posted:

Do you think Hogan was furious that he was behind Savage in that photo (even though the cover story is literally about Macho Man)?

They're both behind the full color pinup of Al Perez in my heart.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BodyMassageMachine posted:

OSW Review had a thing on one of their Wrestlemania recap videos (8?) chronicling how nearly all of Savage’s big title wins were eclipsed by Hogan’s grandstanding. I think WM8 is the only time Savage won the main title of a company without Hogan coming out during/after the match to hot-dog-about and make it about the Hulkster instead of, you know, the guy that just won your World Title.

Funny how it played out the same way in WCW. Savage was past his prime, yeah, but imagine if he was able to get out of Hogan’s orbit and treated as the respected veteran he was (instead of yet-another one of “Hogan’s Friends”). Kind of astonishing the two guys worked together as much as they did considering Macho (deservedly) hated Hulk’s guts at times.

Even Savage's debut was colored by "will he shake Hogan’s hand or slap his face?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah. WM6 when Warrior won the belt you had Hogan trying to make the title change all about him even if he lost in his post-match stuff.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MD2020 posted:

They're both behind the full color pinup of Al Perez in my heart.

lmao

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

haljordan posted:

It's a photo from a post WM IV press conference, and Savage had just won the title.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I know a lot of people here don't like OSW Review, but on that note, I liked it when they covered Superbrawl 96 - Savage has just lost the title (AGAIN) and is being beaten down by Flair (AGAIN) alongside Woman and a freshly HEEL-TURNED LIZ, then Hogan comes out of nowhere to scare them off. "Ugh, Savage can't even LOSE in peace!"

Then Hogan cuts a promo referencing Savage and Liz's real-life divorce for maximum classiness points.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I know a lot of people here don't like OSW Review

We don't? I forget which Steve it is but they're about the opposite end of what I like in wrestling as you can get and I tend to just fast forward through What Bar because USA candy is terrible* but they seem diverting enough.

*Save for Butterfinger if you're able to sandblast your teeth after, of course.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

We don't? I forget which Steve it is but they're about the opposite end of what I like in wrestling as you can get and I tend to just fast forward through What Bar because USA candy is terrible* but they seem diverting enough.

one of the steves unironically likes Triple H as a wrestler and the other steve thinks psychology is fake and just wants people to do cool moves

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

that steve is right btw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the latter steve is on the better track but he still has a lot of baffling opinions about other stuff

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I gave them another shot and tapped out when they kept desperately shouting out Mansoor and Mace or whoever the gently caress.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Don't they still have a catchphrase based around not quite calling Virgil the n-word?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I still find it funny that there actually is an ice cream called Nogger but I can understand why people might not like that joke (it was associated with Virgil because of the colour of his tights but it's obviously still based around the n-word and him bring a black man).

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Also they tend to be weirdly lovely about women like the time they kept mocking Paige while she was at her low point in life and had called them out over it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just want to say that at the time the WWF was running the Billionaire Ted/Nacho Man/Huckster "comedy" segments, Savage was younger than AJ Styles is today. I just find that incredibly funny, how badly all the '80s wrestlers aged compared to the nerds who just play video games instead of railing lines of coke

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Macho Man being a dick.

This is more than likely an exaggerated, apocryphal story. Also from before Macho moved to WCW.

But there was a young security guard at some arena or other, and he is put on "Macho duty" for the first time. He is told the rules by an older more experienced guard.

"You have two tasks. 1) Stop Macho from doing cocaine, .and 2) stop him from hitting Miss Elizabeth. You WILL fail at one of these tasks."

So as much as Hogan hosed him career wise, in my eyes, he can get hosed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There are plenty of stories of him abusing Liz, so yeah, gently caress him.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

I just want to say that at the time the WWF was running the Billionaire Ted/Nacho Man/Huckster "comedy" segments, Savage was younger than AJ Styles is today. I just find that incredibly funny, how badly all the '80s wrestlers aged compared to the nerds who just play video games instead of railing lines of coke

The WWF also had an insane house show schedule, I feel like they were working all but 6 weeks a year, which I am sure didn't help. That's one of the reasons AJ and Sting both stayed at TNA/Impact for so long. The pay was good, and when they were filming at Universal they only worked a few days a month. Plus no house shows.

Also Vince was weird in the early 90s at the older guys he did push away who definitely had passed their peak but could definitely still go, as compared to now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Drakkel posted:

Also they tend to be weirdly lovely about women like the time they kept mocking Paige while she was at her low point in life and had called them out over it

The AE Podcast guys are a good contrast to this. They said some horrible things about Sable, and around the time they did their second run at WrestleMania XIV to conclude their look at 1997 (and the build to the coronation of Austin as The Guy) they took some time to discuss this, expressing shame at what they've said, and that there are times where they'd re-listen to some older episodes for one reason or another and feel mortified by some of the opinions they express.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

that steve is right btw

yup. cool moves ftw

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

syzpid posted:

The WWF also had an insane house show schedule, I feel like they were working all but 6 weeks a year, which I am sure didn't help. That's one of the reasons AJ and Sting both stayed at TNA/Impact for so long. The pay was good, and when they were filming at Universal they only worked a few days a month. Plus no house shows.

Also Vince was weird in the early 90s at the older guys he did push away who definitely had passed their peak but could definitely still go, as compared to now.

One of his reasons for having Warrior go over at Mania 6 was that Hogan was too old (he was 4 years younger than Damian Priest is now).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

syzpid posted:

Yeah, it's why everybody was on everything at the time. Your life was basically constant travel to and from arenas, recording promos and hopefully squeezing in gym time here and there.

D.N. Nation posted:

One of his reasons for having Warrior go over at Mania 6 was that Hogan was too old (he was 4 years younger than Damian Priest is now).

Also Hogan still thought he was going to be a big time star in the features.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Endorph posted:

'i no longer sense hulkamania's power...!'

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
The Jimmy Valiant and Buggsy McGraw tag team is powerful

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Lmat at Mighty Wilbur whose gimmick is Lennie small from mice and men.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I have a little hypothetical that I've been wondering about.

What happens with Hogan if WCW doesn't re-sign him in 1998? If they just decide in early 1998 that he has run his course and they don't need him any longer, nWo can go on without him.

Does Vince want him back in WWF and if he does go back does that derail the Austin-McMahon storyline then?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MrBling posted:

What happens with Hogan if WCW doesn't re-sign him in 1998? If they just decide in early 1998 that he has run his course and they don't need him any longer, nWo can go on without him.

Does Vince want him back in WWF and if he does go back does that derail the Austin-McMahon storyline then?

I mean what does he come back as? Is he Hulk again and playing babyface? I don't think he would work that well as Heel Hollywood without the rest of the nWo. I don't think Vince would be willing to give Hogan what he wants creative control wise, and maybe not even the contract he would demand.

Most likely Hogan knows that WCW is going to come crawling back to him the second that ratings or PPV sales take the slightest dip and they would give him whatever he wanted.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The invasion is led by ecw and hulk hogans smoky mountain wrestling

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hogan becomes the new leader of DX, brother.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hogan would go back to NJPW and hook up with nWo Japan brother

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

Hogan becomes the new leader of DX, brother.

i would prefer this.

"Now let me tell you somehting brother if you dont like that i got two words for you dude!"

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

"Now let me tell you something brother if you don't like that i got three words for you dude!"

Train, prayers, vitamins!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suplex Liberace posted:

Hogan would go back to NJPW and hook up with nWo Japan brother

Ichiban.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MrBling posted:

I assume it would lead to Hogan pretending to be a successful actor for slightly longer, but Hogan going back to WWF... Warrior coming back in '97 was weird, but Hogan coming back would be on a whole other level. Especially because Hogan showing up at that point would genuinely be a really big deal.

I know that post was a joke, but Hollywood Hogan showing up and devouring DX whole during one of their random breakups in '99 does kinda feel like the most likely end result of him re-signing with WWF?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I mean I was only partly kidding. Hogan wanting to leach heat off the edgy youngsters seems very on brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MrBling posted:

WWF was really hurting for heels to go up against Austin after WrestleMania XIV. Credit to (I think) Bix on an episode of Between the Sheets for planting this idea in my head, but Vince bringing in Hogan as his corporate champ to go against Austin could’ve been great.

Now realistically, Hogan probably wouldn’t have let Austin actually go over, so we’re better off that it didn’t happen.