Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Neito posted:

it's also very "i think you don't understand that that proves the oposite point that you think it does", i.e. that most of america's wealth is exploitative.

and generational, but whatever i'm not fighting that fight today.

[untitled goose game meme] accumulated from where? accumulated from where, motherfucker???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ask HN: How could I safely contact drug cartels? 91 points by csears 1 day ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 178 comments

Ok, this is going to sound a little weird, but bear with me.

I have an idea that has the potential to reduce fentanyl deaths, reduce drug-related violence, and improve operating margins for drug cartels. I assume the cartel leaders are essentially profit motivated, and would be interested in something that would prevent their customers from dying, cut down on the violence that brings law enforcement attention, and improve their profit margins. I realize it sounds a little crazy, but, hypothetically, how would I safely go about setting up meetings with cartels? I'm not even sure where to start or what kind of lawyer to check with for advice.

Email in my bio if you'd rather reach out directly.

Thanks!

At least everyone is telling him he's a moron.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

csears 9 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

That's not lost on me. Obviously it would be a tough balance to strike to remain "useful" to the cartels, while not being "too useful" that they would feel the need to exert control. That's why I'm interested in educating myself more fully on the whole situation so I can make an informed risk assessment. If there's no path forward that also kept my family and myself safe, I won't pursue it further.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao that he came up with an idea that he genuinely believes will save thousands of lives and is keeping it secret because he intends to monetize it. he intends to monetize it by selling it to drug cartels

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“alright homies. ever heard of the prisoner’s dilemma? it’s like this-“ *gets decapacitated by a huge muscled cartel dude with a machete*

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

did he watch too much breaking bad, or not enough?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

breaking nerd

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
OP should've asked on Quora instead

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm curious what his idea is because if cartels cutting drugs with fentanyl were willing to put in a bunch of extra effort/cost to not kill people all they need to do is whatever steps and quality control pharma companies do to ensure that the dose is consistent

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

honestly i kind of wonder if there are that deep quality/dosage issues with the cartel drugs, exactly because it indeed seems bad business to surprise kill customers. a long probably less competent chain from there to mess up though

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

honestly i kind of wonder if there are that deep quality/dosage issues with the cartel drugs, exactly because it indeed seems bad business to surprise kill customers. a long probably less competent chain from there to mess up though
Fentanyl is so potent that it's probably pretty hard to get the dose consistent and a tiny difference can be deadly

I guess one answer would be "don't use fentanyl" but I guess it's cheap to produce and because of the potency it's probably easier to smuggle than the whatever amount of less potent opioids would have the same effect. Presumably the cartels have concluded that it's not worth the cost to try to do whatever would be necessary to ensure consistency.

I also don't know at what point the cutting is occurring in the supply chain

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 16, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah the big issue with fentanyl dosing is that cutting is common at every level of a highly-distributed distribution network. nobody has the sort of central control to enforce quality standards at the level of individual dealers

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I also promise that a non-zero number of scammers and FBI agents DMed him directly. One is promising to put him in touch with El Chapo's lieutenants for only .5 BTC, while Special Agent Lowfruit is simultaneously trying to get him to post "I love selling drugs in bulk and intend to profit from it" directly into the microphone.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

mystes posted:

I'm curious what his idea is because if cartels cutting drugs with fentanyl were willing to put in a bunch of extra effort/cost to not kill people all they need to do is whatever steps and quality control pharma companies do to ensure that the dose is consistent

Do you think it could be anything other than "blockchain"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

DARPA posted:

Do you think it could be anything other than "blockchain"?
My first thought was "lol that's funny but not seriously" but after thinking about it for a second, yeah that's probably literally what it is

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

it's a troll, which is a shame because some of his replies were absolutely golden (except the last one that went too far):

csears 1 day ago | root | parent | next [–]

That's not lost on me. Obviously it would be a tough balance to strike to remain "useful" to the cartels, while not being "too useful" that they would feel the need to exert control. That's why I'm interested in educating myself more fully on the whole situation so I can make an informed risk assessment.

csears 1 day ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

One could argue that cartel members and VCs do share some qualities.

I see your point. That is certainly a possibility.

Although it would be highly inconvenient to be arrested or get in trouble with the feds, it would make for an interesting story at parties. That's always been something I've struggled with. So... silver lining?

A lot of historical figures I respect have been arrested for standing by their convictions. So I would be in good company.

It also could turn into a good opportunity for publicity.

Plus, it might actually gain me credibility in the eyes of the cartels.

So you're saying that Zoom would be a bad option?

Good advice. I know there have been situations where federal agencies have turned out to be "the bad guys", but I guess I'm optimistic that they are generally smart, well intentioned, and interested in some of the same outcomes that I'm talking about.

csears 1 day ago | parent | next [–]

I appreciate your take. I agree that working with multiple cartels would be risky, but it seems like working with just one cartel would also be risky. I'm not sure which is the better option. Ideally, I'd prefer to work with more of them.

And on your other point, there would be hardware and software involved, but the cartels wouldn't be interacting with them directly. I'll be sure to have the cartels sign my EULA before proceeding with anything.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*sadly folding a paper at the mornign cartel standup* he's right, chopping his head off and stuffing his balls in his mouth is against the eula. and we hit "accept" without even reading it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"gonna make him an offer he can't refuse"

*eula popup dialog with only an "accept" button*

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

quote:

I'll be sure to have the cartels sign my EULA before proceeding with anything.

haha I liked this part of the bit

dead give away but it’s funny

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

necrotic posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

necrotic posted:

the thread is stupid enough that it’s making me think of what a weeds/Silicon Valley crossover would look like

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lmao

matti
Mar 31, 2019

One might say that debugging is a form of investigative journalism, and vice-versa.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bbarnett 4 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

And yet it wasn't a smirk, now was it? It was a smirk and other things.
Right or wrong, call it what it is. Don't drop info off the event, and focus on one part of it.
And if someone has a right not to be harassed, when doing their job in an office, why doesn't a cop, when doing their job on the street?
Note, I said "doing their job", not "doing it wrong".
For damned sure there are bad cops. But by god, there are a load of good ones, and some of them spend all day, dealing with people at their absolute worst, taking crap you or I wouldn't be able to handle for 5 minutes.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jfc buddy you're meant to lick the boot not devour it whole

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

7373737373 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Question: Would it be possible to store foodstuffs at close to 0 Kelvin at scale, indefinitely? Cryopreservation for food instead of people? Which foodstuffs "survive" long-term freezing? How large and economical could large-scale food cryopreservation be?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
pleasure kelvin

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what if freeze drying but more expensive

mystes
May 31, 2006

what if a normal freezer but more expensive for no reason

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cryonics but we throw your favourite treat in too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
store me with my it’s-its so I can enjoy them when revived, like a pharaoh in the next life

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

a post about rising inequality has mostly decent comments but also a couple of bangers:

roenxi 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

This continues a common but remarkably greedy line of thought where the existence of someone, somewhere, with a billion dollars suddenly robs life of all joy for everyone else. This may be a comforting thought to some people but it is also not a defensible position. It doesn't hold logically and as far as I recall all the major religions discourage thinking that way - likely because it leads to bad outcomes.

Poor people looking at the ultra-wealthy as a pot of money isn't going to work. We've seen how that plays out - the ultra wealthy buy up a few media firms and then gently redirect all the anger towards the middle class and/or stirs up social issues.

The focus really should be on absolute living standards and how to raise them. That is much harder to game and also fairer

anovikov 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

I'm sure it's simply because almost everyone lives off unreported, cash income. Let's be honest: 60K per year is poverty, it's picking between living in a place without roaches vs eating out in a crappy place once per week. UK is not a poor country.

I know plenty of people earning around a median wage but no one who actually lives on that little. When you get median wage, or two, or three, you still need someone else to pay your bills.

My employees get 2-4x median wages and they do NOT live on that money alone (almost all of them moonlight elsewhere), and they are almost all struggling.

I am far in top 1% and when i saw what is the asking rent now i said to myself - "wow if i had to move now, that'll be a predicament". Ask any landlord if they are getting paid through the bank. Many won't even accept bank payment. They are paid in cash - and that cash hasn't been in the bank since many circulation loops ago. People are not poor. They are buying everything like crazy, economy is running so hot it can blow up any moment. They just don't report the money they make.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

anovikov 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

I'm sure it's simply because almost everyone lives off unreported, cash income. Let's be honest: 60K per year is poverty, it's picking between living in a place without roaches vs eating out in a crappy place once per week. UK is not a poor country.

I know plenty of people earning around a median wage but no one who actually lives on that little. When you get median wage, or two, or three, you still need someone else to pay your bills.

My employees get 2-4x median wages and they do NOT live on that money alone (almost all of them moonlight elsewhere), and they are almost all struggling.

I am far in top 1% and when i saw what is the asking rent now i said to myself - "wow if i had to move now, that'll be a predicament". Ask any landlord if they are getting paid through the bank. Many won't even accept bank payment. They are paid in cash - and that cash hasn't been in the bank since many circulation loops ago. People are not poor. They are buying everything like crazy, economy is running so hot it can blow up any moment. They just don't report the money they make.
I love the logic that, hmm, it seems impossible to survive on typical wages now (including my employees who I'm underpaying who all have other jobs but that STILL clearly isn't enough to survive), but that can't be right, so people must just have tons of secret unreported income they're getting from... uh... somewhere! problem solved! I can go back to drinking pina coladas on my yacht.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

like a cognitive barrier. fascinating stuff

roenxi posted:

the existence of someone, somewhere, with a billion dollars suddenly robs life of all joy for everyone else.
:hai:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

eschaton posted:

store me with my it’s-its so I can enjoy them when revived, like a pharaoh in the next life

those things are like candy corn - once a year and you're good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

This continues a common but remarkably greedy line of thought where the existence of someone, somewhere, with a billion dollars suddenly robs life of all joy for everyone else. This may be a comforting thought to some people but it is also not a defensible position. It doesn't hold logically and as far as I recall all the major religions discourage thinking that way - likely because it leads to bad outcomes.
jesus was famously pro-wealth

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

darkclouds posted:

Mega doses can help show up the effect it has in the body and how long it lasts in the body before the effect becomes neutral or opposite, the latter indicating other chemicals are involved in the pathway, perhaps depleting the cellular pool, something which many studies fail to achieve because they run for such short time periods and dont use large amounts of a chemical.
For example, I can consume 200mg of K1 on a daily basis which has an RDA in the μg range with MnCl2 in 100's Mg, again another μg range RDA and if I were to believe the medical profession, my blood would have clotted in-vivo clogging up the vascular system in such a way, even Dyno-Rod or Mr Muscle wouldn't have been able to unblock it!
The blood would have been too thick to be pumped around the body, effectively clogging up the arteries in hours and days much hard and faster than atherosclerosis from a years worth of hedonism could have achieved!
But I also know about Prof Bruce Ames triage theory.
Anyway it just so happened, that I cut the end of a finger nearly off setting a cheap mole trap. Blood pouring everywhere, pissed off at the cheap trap prematurely going off when being placed in some warm moist soil in, I like to think, anticipation of catching a creature of darkness.
Anyway called the NHS 111 hotline, answered their banal questions, with the song Prodigy Omen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVTKOoy1uk&t=84s) on a loop in my mind whilst talking to them, surprised I didnt have Prodigy Take me to the hospital ringing through my mind (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncaNlxvTFzg) but anyway I hadnt eaten anything that evening and didnt want to spend loving hours wasting away in the A&E dept waiting for someone to put a stich or two or a couple of butterfly stiches over the wound which I could have done myself anyway, so I told the 111 Hotline I'll look up on youtube if its serious or not and hung up!
Proceeded to put up with an unrecognised NHS 111 phone number phoning me back every 30minutes afterwards, like a nuisance caller until I added their number to the phone's block list.
An old surfers trick is to use superglue to seal up cuts from rocks and coral so I hunted around for some superglue and was going to use that, but whilst cleaning up the wound and then holding the skin together before squirting some superglue liberally over the skin, the blood did something amazing.
It formed its own clot much like you'd expect as if I had some burgundy superglue.
So I didnt bother using the superglue in the end, and over the following days, this blood clot turned out to be like a super clot, it wouldnt dissolve in the shower, it wouldnt dissolve when spending over an hour soaking in the bath.
It quite literally was a super blood clot, impervious to liquids and it could take an enormous amount of abuse, I never could get it to break off from the skin, so I was quite impressed with that and obviously full use of the finger was immediately available, I was only cautious using it to begin with.
You cant even see any scars today!
Now I would never have discovered these super blood clots had I not megadosed with K1 and MnCl2, so I dont need to put on copious amounts of adipose tissue in order to make me stab proof to all but the longest blades, but it got me thinking, if blood clots can be this good, why are these RDA's so low?
Well its quite likely the blood clotting like it did would make life much harder for the doctors and nurses in A&E and operating theatres to do their surgery.
If the blood can clot like this in under 20mins, they would not be able to perform surgery on people, they would be constantly fighting the blood clots, so this is the only explanation I can come up with as to why RDA's are so low for these two chemicals.
The medical profession want an easy life whilst dramatizing the dangers in some areas of human biology.
Ursolic acid is purported to increase the length of villi in the gut and thus absorption increases because of the increased surface area of the villi.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
how are these people so goddamn stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
turning my blood into jam to own the doctors