Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
playing doom eternal on higher difficulties sounds like hell on earth

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Playing Doom Eternal on Nightmare sets my Doom 3 worlds on fire

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Convex posted:

playing doom eternal on higher difficulties sounds like hell on earth

It's more of an inferno, it throws so many enemies at you that you end up knee deep in the dead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
golly, that all sounds very hard

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Civvie puts up a SoF video and nobody posts it for 45 minutes? I'm shocked.

https://youtu.be/yS5gJIvD1Ds

Havent finished the game back in the day, so laughed pretty hard at the villain in a comic book gear and the laser gun.
Also lol Saddam.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's easy to see the appeal of a Quake reboot that touches on some of the stuff they were originally planning to do with RPG elements and stuff. Easy in theory anyway. In practice I guess it could end up disappointing and feel more like a medieval RAGE.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Man they got a lot of things right with Rage, shame they bloated it with other rubbish (vehicle combat, some dumb card game) and couldn’t finish it though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I dunno if this is the right thread for it, but it's pretty FEAR adjacent, but I did not expect Trepang2 to be a stealth backrooms adaptation. All through the game up till that level I felt it had a very SCP-ish vibe, and thought it was a shame that this wasn't the gameplay for the SCP-5K game, which is a pretty great story but the game looks fairly basic.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My only thing about a new quake is it being designed for controllers

Try to rocket jump with a controller I dare you

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it wouldn't be so bad if microsoft had just put a gyro in the xbox series controller so that gyro aiming could finally be a standard feature :argh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread for it, but it's pretty FEAR adjacent, but I did not expect Trepang2 to be a stealth backrooms adaptation. All through the game up till that level I felt it had a very SCP-ish vibe, and thought it was a shame that this wasn't the gameplay for the SCP-5K game, which is a pretty great story but the game looks fairly basic.

what is that because i saw people on the shudder steam discussion forums talking about it

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Control was also very obviously scp inspired also.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Eh doesn't seem that hard. Just press LB to trigger the ability once it's off cool down. :shrug:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
drat, the gun sounds in Soldier of Fortune are insane. It's too bad that its legacy is the gore system (which was all I knew about the game prior to watching Civvie's video); also the part in which Mustache goes to war in Iraq to find WMDs and meets Saddam Hussein is really bizarre considering the game came out in 2000.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

verbal enema posted:

pulls out my rj script that any real og would know

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

site posted:

what is that because i saw people on the shudder steam discussion forums talking about it

its a youtube series made by like a 16 year old kid about people accidentally clipping out of the world and into the worlds shittiest office building

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

site posted:

pulls out my rj script that any real og would know

That script gonna run on a console?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

verbal enema posted:

That script gonna run on a console?

I'm gonna go easy on you and assume you didn't know that you can assign a macro to "press [button]; [look at floor]; [fire rocket]; [look at previous position]" since 1998

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Havent finished the game back in the day, so laughed pretty hard at the villain in a comic book gear and the laser gun.
Also lol Saddam.

I never finished SoF; all I remember about it is "check out our GRITTY AND REALISTIC setting with a RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES plot and an arsenal based on REAL WEAPONS and a gruesome DISMEMBERMENT SYSTEM, anyways we couldn't figure out how to make a bossfight both 'fun' and 'realistic' so we settled for neither, here's a guy with a gun who can take an entire belt of HMG rounds and half a dozen grenades to the face without flinching"

site posted:

I'm gonna go easy on you and assume you didn't know that you can assign a macro to "press [button]; [look at floor]; [fire rocket]; [look at previous position]" since 1998

I think the problem is more that on a console¹, you usually can't access the console² or config files that would let you set up the macro in the first place.

¹ gaming platform
² in game debug interface

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's too bad Civvie didn't show off the alt fire on the microwave gun since it literally cooks people alive and makes them explode like a balloon. Also it's been a while but I think the final boss only does his unkillable turret bullshit if you run too far away from him.

Soldier of Fortune 2 is an inferior game because it literally is trying its hardest to be a tactical shooter instead of reskinned Quake 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ToxicFrog posted:

I think the problem is more that on a console¹, you usually can't access the console² or config files that would let you set up the macro in the first place.

¹ gaming platform
² in game debug interface

In our imagination is there any reason to pretend that it can't be made a button click, since it literally can be irl, for imaginary controls for imaginary games

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's too bad Civvie didn't show off the alt fire on the microwave gun since it literally cooks people alive and makes them explode like a balloon. Also it's been a while but I think the final boss only does his unkillable turret bullshit if you run too far away from him.

Soldier of Fortune 2 is an inferior game because it literally is trying its hardest to be a tactical shooter instead of reskinned Quake 2.

also SoF II's first mission is literally a stealth mission...in a game with a broken stealth system that the game itself lies to you about how it functions. The game claims enemies have to hit an alarm box to raise an alarm. This is a lie. They only have to see you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I will say that most of the weapon models for SoF II still look great.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Leroy Dennui posted:

also the part in which Mustache goes to war in Iraq to find WMDs and meets Saddam Hussein is really bizarre considering the game came out in 2000.

The collapse of the Soviet Union left America without a Designated Villain for a couple of years. Fortunately, Gulf War 1 happened pretty soon after. What's more, Saddam wasn't just a generic bureaucrat-looking dude in a suit but this really distinct looking character with the beret and the mustache. So he was pretty much the ideal candidate for becoming the Generic Bad Guy in any political fiction all the way up to 2001.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

1stGear posted:

The collapse of the Soviet Union left America without a Designated Villain for a couple of years. Fortunately, Gulf War 1 happened pretty soon after. What's more, Saddam wasn't just a generic bureaucrat-looking dude in a suit but this really distinct looking character with the beret and the mustache. So he was pretty much the ideal candidate for becoming the Generic Bad Guy in any political fiction all the way up to 2001.

What changed in 2001?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

1stGear posted:

Technothriller authors like Tom Clancy were struggling for antagonists in the 90s. Vague and generic pan-Arab terrorist groups modeled more off Qaddafi and the PLO, the Balkans, environmentalists, Neo-Nazis, fictional former Soviet states that either refused to give up nukes or got taken over by rogue generals, Afrikaners launching a coup in South Africa, the Korean war gone hot, westerners getting big scared over the Asian economic bubble years after it popped, Taiwan declares independence, Germany and South Africa form a Axis of Evil and terrorize the world with nuclear weapons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

What changed in 2001?

Hulk Hogan destroyed the World Trade Center.

My source? SomethingAwful

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

C.M. Kruger posted:

Technothriller authors like Tom Clancy were struggling for antagonists in the 90s. Vague and generic pan-Arab terrorist groups modeled more off Qaddafi and the PLO, the Balkans, environmentalists, Neo-Nazis, fictional former Soviet states that either refused to give up nukes or got taken over by rogue generals, Afrikaners launching a coup in South Africa, the Korean war gone hot, westerners getting big scared over the Asian economic bubble years after it popped, Taiwan declares independence, Germany and South Africa form a Axis of Evil and terrorize the world with nuclear weapons.

Or in Rainbow 6's case, all of the above

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I was trying to work out who was voicing SoF's weirdly anime antagonist, thought it was maybe a David Kaye but nope, it's Earl loving Boen, LeChuck himself.

Also Michael Clarke Duncan does a real good job sounding like the guy playing Superfly in Daikatana.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Or in Rainbow 6's case, all of the above
Hell, at least a quarter of those are in SOF1!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Make a new Dick Marcinco game, and have it be a build engine boomer shooter

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Make a new Dick Marcinco game, and have it be a build engine boomer shooter

Can build cope with the word "gently caress" said continuously by the protagonist?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I guess I'm one of the few people that really loved SoF2. Even reading the name has surfaced memories of playing on some server called Altered Realms or something and being top of the knife kills chart. I remember the singleplayer sucked apart from the little randomised terrorist hunt mission generator. That was quite cool at the time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Can build cope with the word "gently caress" said continuously by the protagonist?

Yes, that's like the only thing not held with gum and tape on that engine

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

They just need the people who wrote Atomic Heart’s dialogue.

“What in the fresh poo poo-gently caress is this goddamned bullshit? Crispy critters!”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What are the Bulletstorm people doing these days?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

haveblue posted:

What are the Bulletstorm people doing these days?

They've been working on Witchfire for like, half a decade.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Civvie didn't even show off how every weapon has a stupid lil trick button to do silly things with your weapon

The 9mm has one where you can swap firing hands for style points you can spin the shotgun around balance knives on your fingertips all,sorts of dumb poo poo and it kicked rear end

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played SOF1 a year or two ago and had a blast, definitely check it out if you haven't. Shame it never got modded. It's also interesting how despite being a big "Oorah" type of game, it's also pre-9/11 and you're working explicitly for the UN, so this was before they became the ineffectual bureaucrats in similar media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

I played SOF1 a year or two ago and had a blast, definitely check it out if you haven't. Shame it never got modded. It's also interesting how despite being a big "Oorah" type of game, it's also pre-9/11 and you're working explicitly for the UN, so this was before they became the ineffectual bureaucrats in similar media.

https://www.moddb.com/games/soldier-of-fortune/downloads/soldier-of-fortune-community-edition-v62