Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Bad Purchase posted:

nah, i saw a few at the grocery store yesterday, mostly elderly, wearing masks and i don't think they were deranged or lunatics. i think you've got a weird hangup if you really think that.

Nah you know what I'm not making GBS threads on people who actually are genuinely in vulnerable positions who want to mask up. That's fine and it's actually good for them that it's been normalised and I'm not really making GBS threads on them. I just know one or two people who are actually perfectly healthy adults who are vaxxed up just fine whove decided to internalise the covid trauma and are now just hysterically shouting about it after the primary threat has passed. Its not an insane conspiracy theory to rank COVID as a bad flu after the fact when its become endemic and this is what also happened with the Spanish flu. Viruses when introduced to the population absolutely do reak havoc for the first X years and then eventually become endemic. It's no viruses intention to kill the host, it's their intention to live alongside and spread. Humans and the virus have both evolved to adapt. This is not weird or odd to have this opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Beartaco posted:

Nobody's watching a 50 minute long youtube video.

tl;dr your poo poo

i watched it

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ape Fist posted:

If you're still obsessively masking up in 2023 you might be derranged.

People realized that medical masks stop both lovely common illnesses that they'll end up having to work through, and also allergy poo poo, and that absolute revelation has changed them into mask-wearers and it's actually good, OP

FlocksOfMice posted:

nah gently caress you, I don't wanna get sick, and no one in public is entitled to see my face, what does it matter to you?

Also this. Not having to fake smile and obsess over cosmetics to be a "people-pleasing face-to-face customer service" type is an extremely zoomer thing that is great and some people aren't going back ever.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ape Fist posted:

Nah you know what I'm not making GBS threads on people who actually are genuinely in vulnerable positions who want to mask up. That's fine and it's actually good for them that it's been normalised and I'm not really making GBS threads on them. I just know one or two people who are actually perfectly healthy adults who are vaxxed up just fine whove decided to internalise the covid trauma and are now just hysterically shouting about it after the primary threat has passed. Its not an insane conspiracy theory to rank COVID as a bad flu after the fact when its become endemic and this is what also happened with the Spanish flu. Viruses when introduced to the population absolutely do reak havoc for the first X years and then eventually become endemic. It's no viruses intention to kill the host, it's their intention to live alongside and spread. Humans and the virus have both evolved to adapt.

i think you should let your friends wear masks and not call them deranged lunatics op, it's not like they are hurting anyone and there is an actual benefit from it even if you don't agree with their personal choice

e: that's not what you said at all originally, but i'm not gonna keep at it. go post in the actual covid thread.
vvv

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 16, 2023

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Bad Purchase posted:

i think you should let your friends wear masks and not call them deranged lunatics op, it's not like they are hurting anyone and there is an actual benefit from it even if you don't agree with their personal choice

I think there's a very important distinction between "I'm going to wear a mask because it makes me feel safe and comfortable." and "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT WEARING MASKS ANYMORE, YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE BY NOT WEARING MASKS, YOU'RE SO SOCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE AND A HUGE PIECE OF poo poo FOR NOT DOING IT OH MY GOD.", and believe me the second category of person still exists and is very real.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Mistle posted:

People realized that medical masks stop both lovely common illnesses that they'll end up having to work through, and also allergy poo poo, and that absolute revelation has changed them into mask-wearers and it's actually good, OP

Again, not actually a problem that masking has been normalised for this exact reason. There's valid and good reasons to mask. My mother in law has had a double lung transplant and has masked for like 10+ years? or so. Not making GBS threads on people who actually need them tbh.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ape Fist posted:

I still wear a mask when I go places like the grocery store or whatever. I didn't bother masking when I went to a music fest a couple weeks ago because #1 it was outside #2 at the point that you're at a music fest just admit you're probably gonna get covid. I got lucky and didn't though. If my wife and I go to a restaurant we try to sit outside if we can, but we'll still go sometimes if we can't. Again, we recognize we might get covid from doing this. It's dumb and irresponsible but we've been worn down about it :shrug:

I think if you're still saying poo poo like "if you're masking in 2023 you might be deranged" then...you might be deranged. I don't 'obsessively' mask anymore but I do mask a lot, more often than not, and I at least acknowledge the risks I'm taking when I don't

Ape Fist posted:

I think there's a very important distinction between "I'm going to wear a mask because it makes me feel safe and comfortable." and "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT WEARING MASKS ANYMORE, YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE BY NOT WEARING MASKS, YOU'RE SO SOCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE AND A HUGE PIECE OF poo poo FOR NOT DOING IT OH MY GOD.", and believe me the second category of person still exists and is very real.

yes but do you actually encounter anyone like this irl? I bet you don't. however, I have had people say weird things to me because I'm still masking irl many times. Or I hear comments, see people staring sometimes. I don't give a poo poo, but what you're referring to is like 1/1000th as common as people being weird about people who are still masking.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ape Fist posted:

Viruses when introduced to the population absolutely do reak havoc for the first X years and then eventually become endemic. It's no viruses intention to kill the host, it's their intention to live alongside and spread. Humans and the virus have both evolved to adapt. This is not weird or odd to have this opinion.
That’s what happened to AIDS, right, it didn’t want to kill anybody so it just stopped hurting anyone? Same with rabies, maybe a hundred years ago it killed people, but now you can get bitten and just go about your life.

Spoiler, that’s not how viruses work. It’s not “my opinion,” you’re just wrong. That’s why, for example, we even saw worse variants of covid evolve.

Bad Purchase posted:

i think if you wanna throw down about mask wearing or talk about endemic vs pandemic, it's probably best to go post in the actual covid thread instead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966953
(but also, please don't do that)

i think this thread is meant to be about all the knock-on effects of the pandemic and the collective response that aren't related to the disease itself or the millions of deaths
Iirc he’s threadbanned from that thread for posting the same fact-free bullshit, which is why he’s bringing it here.

Ape Fist posted:

Not making GBS threads on people who actually need them tbh.
You literally are

Ape Fist posted:

I think if you're still obsessively wearing them now after its clearly endemic then you're the lunatic.
Not to mention you have absolutely zero idea what some rando at the grocery store is dealing with.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

teemolover42069 posted:

I still wear a mask when I go places like the grocery store or whatever. I didn't bother masking when I went to a music fest a couple weeks ago because #1 it was outside #2 at the point that you're at a music fest just admit you're probably gonna get covid. I got lucky and didn't though. If my wife and I go to a restaurant we try to sit outside if we can, but we'll still go sometimes if we can't. Again, we recognize we might get covid from doing this. It's dumb and irresponsible but we've been worn down about it :shrug:

I think if you're still saying poo poo like "if you're masking in 2023 you might be deranged" then...you might be deranged. I don't 'obsessively' mask anymore but I do mask a lot, more often than not, and I at least acknowledge the risks I'm taking when I don't

I'm not going to poo poo down your throat and start a stupid GBS fight with you about the choice you're making but if you're a healthy adult with no significant co-morbidities you do not need to mask and I don't think I'm a stupid loving dipshit for saying that. The variant of COVID that's currently making the rounds has adapted enough to co-exist with humans without killing them (which is its entire evolutionary drive). My double-lung-transplanted Mother in Law can handle a dose of COVID (and did around february), so why can't you? What do you gain out of this other than A) being a punk who can't handle a flu?, or is it B) The absolute confident authority that you are right when everyone else is wrong?

Sorry not sorry to call you out like this.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ape Fist posted:

I'm not going to poo poo down your throat and start a stupid GBS fight with you about the choice you're making but if you're a healthy adult with no significant co-morbidities you do not need to mask and I don't think I'm a stupid loving dipshit for saying that. The variant of COVID that's currently making the rounds has adapted enough to co-exist with humans without killing them (which is its entire evolutionary drive). My double-lung-transplanted Mother in Law can handle a dose of COVID (and did around february), so why can't you? What do you gain out of this other than A) being a punk who can't handle a flu?, or is it B) The absolute confident authority that you are right when everyone else is wrong?

I mean, Covid sucks. I’ve had it, it didn’t kill me, but I certainly wouldn’t want it again. If someone wants to continue to take steps to protect themselves I don’t see how that’s any of my business, or requires any of my emotional energy to react to. If I see someone wearing a mask I assume they have a reason for it, and move on. If anything a person wearing a mask makes ME safer, and I appreciate their effort.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My brain was already broken but seeing it all play out pretty much like I predicted (with the caveat that I expected the economy to implode and did not see the infinite money printer coming) pretty much ensured that I be cynical for the rest of my life. Having my boss come in sick and cough on me because "it's important that you get face to face time during 1-to-1's" was a real illuminating moment.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I had problems with anxiety before COVID and kids then I had pregnancy complications with my first and she was in the hospital for a few weeks and my anxiety got worse, then I had my second in early February 2020 so the from the start of covid to the vaccines was spent worrying if the kids were going to get COVID and trying to figure out how often they could see their grandparents and how much risk it would be because I was terrified I'd get my parents or my in laws sick. And once the vaccines were out and everything COVID related started to wind down my anxiety just found new things to worry about with a side of nasty intrusive thoughts.

So yeah I think COVID and the lockdowns and the constant monitoring for illnesses broke my already fragile brain. Now I'm a month into taking Prozac, hopefully it'll help.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Bad Purchase posted:

i think if you wanna throw down about mask wearing or talk about endemic vs pandemic, it's probably best to go post in the actual covid thread instead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966953
(but also, please don't do that)

i think this thread is meant to be about all the knock-on effects of the pandemic and the collective response that aren't related to the disease itself or the millions of deaths

Yeah Gunna second this

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th order effects are really interesting , but relitigating the ethics of mask wearing and these sorts of grievences is too self demonstrating

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my doctor's office does remote visits now which i like, because usually by the time i'm going to a doctor i already know what's wrong and it's been faster to just have a quick chat and get a prescription than to have to drive in, wait around in the lobby for 20 min, get my vitals checked, wait around another 10 min, and then have the exact same 2 minute convo with the doctor that i could've had at home, then drive all the way home

the drawback is that i'm guessing they're cramming even more daily appointments into doctors' schedules and they have even less time to handle the patients that really do need more time and thought to figure out what's wrong

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

I mean, Covid sucks. I’ve had it, it didn’t kill me, but I certainly wouldn’t want it again. If someone wants to continue to take steps to protect themselves I don’t see how that’s any of my business, or requires any of my emotional energy to react to. If I see someone wearing a mask I assume they have a reason for it, and move on. If anything a person wearing a mask makes ME safer, and I appreciate their effort.

I need people to understand a handful of incredibly annoying assholes are making a ~moral issue~ out of masking. Some gibbis poster above me cited that I don't know anyone whose doing this and I know like 3 annoying assholes in my personal life who are doing just this, one of them is a goon lmao.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

give it a rest

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

give it a rest

fine.

edit: where do we even upload images anymore I want to upload pingu folding his arms.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 16, 2023

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That was a really weird hill to die on lmao

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Feel very fortunate no one I actually care about went covid-truther. My family has been great about canceling plans or giving fair warning if anyone is sick with anything.

One thing that has stuck is the hand washing. I usually sanitize when getting back into my car after being in public, or give my hands a good wash after getting home. I think I'm also a lot more conscious of the hand>food>mouth path of infection.

Just washing our hands more and sanitizing has resulted in like 80% fewer colds in our house this year.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm gonna keep wearing a mask at the grocery store and such because I choose to.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Ape Fist posted:

People in a lot better countries have been wearing masks for decades. If you're sick it's probably a great thing to do if you're absolutely needing to go out.

That said I don't wear one and neither does anyone else I know and I haven't heard of anyone getting covid in forever. I don't think people are testing so it might still be around in my area to some degree but it's probably so rare that it's pointless. People can keep wearing them though, it doesn't matter to me. I have no clue if mask mandates really changed anything in retrospect and I could be swayed either way if I saw some concrete data.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ape Fist posted:

I didn't call you a stupid loving dipshit and I didn't call you anything else either. I never said I have 'the absolute confident authority that I am right when everyone else is wrong' either.

I have had covid several times and I do not want it again so I take some really bare minimum precautions about it. Sometimes I don't take those precautions because gently caress it, but I acknowledge the risk I'm taking when I do that. It seems like you had a really strong emotional reaction to this for some reason and I don't understand why.

Which part of what I said made you think that I am doing this (where I understand 'this' to mean 'wearing a mask most of the time') for reasons like "calling you a loving dipshit" or "having the absolute confident authority that I am right when everyone else is wrong"?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Go to Japan during allergy season and tell all the folks in masks they're deranged for not wanting to snot all over strangers

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ape Fist posted:

I need people to understand a handful of incredibly annoying assholes are making a ~moral issue~ out of masking. Some gibbis poster above me cited that I don't know anyone whose doing this and I know like 3 annoying assholes in my personal life who are doing just this, one of them is a goon lmao.

I said that people doing that are exceedingly rare and that "I bet" that you don't know people like that. Hey, maybe you do. But I sure don't, and they are by far the minority compared to people acting like...well, how you are, in this thread. I mean, look at this thread. Who are you yelling at? nobody is acting the way you're describing. but you are acting the way you are.

e: oops, quote isn't edit. I am dumb.

Griz
May 21, 2001

recent studies have the chance of long covid at like 5-15% per infection but a lot of people would rather pretend that it doesn't exist.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
One thing about covid is i'll never be able to listen to a boomer dad talk about how hard it was to raise kids back in their day when they were at work or commuting for 10 hours a loving day, 5 days a week.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*coughing* good for you son, covid-19 made me the man i am today *wheezing*

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I used to get sick almost every time I fly, and then I started masking through airports/flights. I no longer get sick when I fly. Anybody who takes offense at this is a loving loser.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I still distinctly remember the moment in April of 2020 when one of the managers rounded up all the student workers and told them "No one is going to lose their job." They all lost their jobs. But the entire student body was ordered off campus and sent home to Zoom University, so it's not like they could keep working even if they wanted to.

Us townie scum who just plain work here had a different arrangement. The university administration wanted to lay us all off but the unions reminded them we have a contract and that violating it would probably be a lot more expensive than just keeping us on the payroll for however long this thing was going to last. Made a lot more sense for the groundskeepers, repairmen, maintenance, but for us dining hall cooks it was kind of awkward. They refused to pay us to stay home, so we had to come to work every day, with no customers to serve, and mostly just... sit there.

We cleaned the ever-living gently caress out of that kitchen, wrapped everything in plastic, closed our doors, and then went across campus to mostly just sit there at the other dining hall. Since this was technically a large gathering of people, we were required to mask up and stay at least six feet from each other. We spread the dining room tables out so we had plenty of room. Volunteers would make the family meal. Then we'd take off our masks and eat some pretty god drat good Mexican food every single day. I got chubby for the first time in my life.

And I was also sitting there thinking "The six feet rule is actually based on nonsense, we know transmission can go much further than that, and we've all taken our masks off for an hour to eat and yell at each other. This is kind of dumb." I found some nice hiding spots to eat by myself.

After a couple weeks of this, I decided to go for a walk. There was literally nothing now for me to do at the dining hall, so I thought I'd explore campus. I slipped out unnoticed and only came back to eat lunch or clock out. The school was a ghost town. Various species had begun claiming the abandoned architecture. The art building in particular had been absolutely overtaken by a massive flock of some kind of noisy bird. I climbed every publicly accessible staircase on campus. I enjoyed this week and a half, all alone, getting paid to walk around in the sun and appreciate the different decades of architecture. The 70's were so weird. There's stuff from World War 2.

Somebody ratted me out. My chef gave me the third degree. "THIS... THIS IS A WORKPLACE!" But at the end of it, he leveled with me and basically said look, we don't know what the hell's gonna happen, we don't know how long this bizarre situation will last, and we just wanna see that everybody is okay and employed, so please just come in, follow the rules, do nothing, and clock out at the end of the day like we're all doing. My little adventure did give him the idea that the guys should probably go outside and get some fresh air though, as long as they're accompanied by a manager. Crews started going on guided tours around campus and even down to the beach.

One day in the winter me and five or six other cooks were strolling along the beach. Heavy fog rolled in. I couldn't see ten feet in front of me. Maybe five. I was at the back of the pack, walking slowly, letting the rest of them move away. I thought to myself, "What if this is it? What if I just silently have a heart attack right here? They won't even notice. They'll be back to the building before they realize I'm missing. They won't find my body on the beach with this fog, the tide will come up and take me out." I don't know why I thought that. I guess that since so many other people were fading away, maybe I should too.

One day our managers' manager came by to let us all know the plan. There was no plan. He had no idea what was going to happen next and nobody above him had answers. He later spent some insane percentage of our total budget on takeout containers and was yelled at until he quit. But we probably have one of the largest stockpiles of compostable takeout containers in the world now, so... That's nice.

One of our cooks died of Covid. The guy who was taking the least precautions before the vaccines were available. Rest in peace, Martin, you racist rear end in a top hat.

Eventually, our absolute mensch of a boss hatched a scheme to save all our jobs. An anonymous wealthy benefactor had donated a food budget to us, you see, so that we could cook some really nice meals for several local charities. Those of us with CDL's would deliver them. I forget the exact number of meals we were producing per day but it was a pretty big operation. And I know that it was reaching people because my daily bike commute took me by one of the local parks that had become a tent city. People were eating the stuff we made. That tent city would later be rapidly and violently cleared out by the police so that the parents of the returning frat boys wouldn't have to see poverty while helping their kids move Ikea couches into their apartments. Anyway... I'm almost certain it was our mensch of a boss who donated the food budget himself. He's the university's executive chef now.

After America got vaccinated everybody came back to campus, we re-opened our operation for service, masks were mandatory for a little while, we had an app you had to use every morning to say you didn't have symptoms, blah blah blah, life returned to something resembling normal. Our staffing level never quite got back to where it should be. Some people retired or quit and didn't get replaced. Back when we were doing nothing, I began bringing my laptop to work and keeping a journal. I'll look through it and see if there was anything that might amuse this thread.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I got covid last November and it broke my nose. I had smell hallucinations for 6 months. Mostly cigarettes. Not fresh smoke, but that stale old poo poo that seeps out the walls. Last time I noticed it was a few weeks ago.

Curiously, I could temporarily 'pause' it by applying pressure to the tip of my nose. If I took my finger away, the smell came back.

i'll try this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Animal-Mother posted:

I still distinctly remember the moment in April of 2020 when one of the managers rounded up all the student workers and told them "No one is going to lose their job." They all lost their jobs. But the entire student body was ordered off campus and sent home to Zoom University, so it's not like they could keep working even if they wanted to….

That was a good read thank you for sharing. Could you bring books to work when nothing was happening? Seems like an idea kindle situation especially if the university wifi was available.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Sound off if you are still in the No Covid Crew.

I'm here.

yup. never had it. totally back to normal in 2022 for me. concerts, bars, went to EU for a month and did all the normal tourist stuff. I get 1 head cold a year these days.

:shrug:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Treecko posted:

Lmao if you honestly think younger people are lazy.

Yeah I call horseshit, my favorite memory of teaching the hybrid model during COVID was finding out one of my at-home kids got busted trying to play a looped video of him when he was supposed to be logged into Zoom in other classes, and would have gotten away with it except he made a movement during the loop that gave him away like that scene in Speed. I respected the poo poo out of that and still laugh about it to this day. Yeah, kids aren't necessarily lazy - they're just moving to their own beat

Smart kid too, aced his state exam in Science

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Remote dr visits are incredible. If my partner didn’t insist on picking out produce their self, I’d absolutely still be doing grocery pick up.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

N. Senada posted:

Remote dr visits are incredible. If my partner didn’t insist on picking out produce their self, I’d absolutely still be doing grocery pick up.

i can't imagine relying on someone else to pick out produce, i can't lose that lever of control over my own life

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My PCP is a mildly attractive lady and I feel she's become way more sexualized since the Pandemic. I assume that's her, not me, but I could be wrong.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

I’m convinced it’s partially a reaction to people feeling out of control of their lives. There was a big phenomenon that forcibly changed the entire world in an extremely short amount of time. People are trying to exert any control they can.

One of the crazies here: I think there's something to this, but the 2nd order effects made winners and losers. For me, it will be over if I ever regain the purchasing power lost to inflation, and not one moment sooner.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

i can't imagine relying on someone else to pick out produce, i can't lose that lever of control over my own life

that's the worst part of grocery pickup/delivery, they give you some obviously rotten poo poo or do some absurd substitution that you can't decline

I always wear a mask at the supermarket and pick out my own stuff and as far as I know I haven't had covid yet

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The lockdown kept me working auto insurance claims for a year longer than I should have

My stress is way lower than it was now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Definitely fried my friend's brain, who's brain was already kinda crispy. Dude turned into a full-on recluse and hoarder, refusing to go outside anywhere and when he did he'd mask up. I don't really have a problem with the latter, but when things calmed down and restrictions loosened up, he started up being an rear end in a top hat and just shittalking everyone who stopped wearing masks and going on bitter tirades about "Oh I'm the one doing my best but they're being selfish assholes, why do I have to suffer???". Just weird poo poo.