Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Scionix posted:

Dad wants to shop for a truck, never shopped a truck in my life, could use some help

Proposed Budget: 40-60k

New or Used: Either

Body Style: Truck. MUST HAVE: 6.5ft bed, skid plates, back seats, 4 wheel drive

How will you be using the car?: Light towing, moving dirt bikes/polaris ranger around, light offroading on bad/dirt roads and fields around a hunting lodge.

What aspects are most important to you?Aforementioned features above: 6.5 foot bed, back seats, 4 wheel drive, and skid plates. My dad will not be working on this thing himself, so a non-atrocious dealer experience and/or a good warranty would be a plus.

The 3 domestic full size trucks can all be configured the way he wants. Just need to check the right boxes on the order form.

A Silverado 1500 configured with CREW CAB, STANDARD BED, CUSTOM TRAIL BOSS, 4WD, is around 50K before you add any options. 79.4" box, crew cab, and the trail boss package includes the Z71 suspension with factory 2" body lift, and skid plates. Depending on options and engine choice it can get pretty close to your max budget. The LT trail boss starts at 60K and will be over budget.

You can also configure a Ford F150 in the way you want. A F150 XLT can be had with the SuperCrew cab and 6.5 ft bed. 4WD and the FX-4 package can be added. The FX-4 package includes the skid plates he wants. This is also going to be 50 to 60K depending on options

RAM has a 395 dollar option called "protection group" available that provides tow hooks and skid plates. You can also get a RAM 1500 configured the way he wants for under 60K depending on options.

They are wheeling and dealing on trucks these days though. We're back to the days of 10K off F150 XLT's with the 302A package again. Prices above are MSRP, and you should easily beat MSRP without even trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

skipdogg posted:

The 3 domestic full size trucks can all be configured the way he wants. Just need to check the right boxes on the order form.

A Silverado 1500 configured with CREW CAB, STANDARD BED, CUSTOM TRAIL BOSS, 4WD, is around 50K before you add any options. 79.4" box, crew cab, and the trail boss package includes the Z71 suspension with factory 2" body lift, and skid plates. Depending on options and engine choice it can get pretty close to your max budget. The LT trail boss starts at 60K and will be over budget.

You can also configure a Ford F150 in the way you want. A F150 XLT can be had with the SuperCrew cab and 6.5 ft bed. 4WD and the FX-4 package can be added. The FX-4 package includes the skid plates he wants. This is also going to be 50 to 60K depending on options

RAM has a 395 dollar option called "protection group" available that provides tow hooks and skid plates. You can also get a RAM 1500 configured the way he wants for under 60K depending on options.

They are wheeling and dealing on trucks these days though. We're back to the days of 10K off F150 XLT's with the 302A package again. Prices above are MSRP, and you should easily beat MSRP without even trying.

Awesome, thank you

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Proposed Budget: $30k (We've researched Highlander and Telluride which are coming in at $40k and up, in this case we need to revisit our budget)
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4 door SUV (looking to size up from Rav4)
How will you be using the car?: We have a baby now. Will be using it for potential road trips, 1 hour each way commute to work, daily driving.

We've been managing ok with a Rav4 but have had it for 10 years at this point. We are looking to size up

Looking for: Reliability, decent gas milage, storage space. We also deal with snow in the winter and get decent use of the AWD or whatever they call it on the Rav4.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If you're looking at those, there's good deals on the Mazda CX-9 right now that's getting replaced with a new model. It's not as spacious as the other 2 but it doesn't sound like you need to constantly be carrying 5 extra adults because you're having 1 baby. The Nissan pathfinder is also pretty cheap, you can check it out but it's...cheap for a reason.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
More of a general question: Has anyone bought new in Ontario recently? Is there much point in trying to negotiate the price at all? From what I understand provincial law forces all dealers to be upfront about the OTD price, and supply seems pretty limited especially since we're looking for either a small SUV hybrid (Corolla Cross or Tucson) or medium sized sedan (Camry or Sonata) and there doesn't seem like there's much room to really get anything aside from just buying the car at the given price.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dreylad posted:

More of a general question: Has anyone bought new in Ontario recently? Is there much point in trying to negotiate the price at all? From what I understand provincial law forces all dealers to be upfront about the OTD price, and supply seems pretty limited especially since we're looking for either a small SUV hybrid (Corolla Cross or Tucson) or medium sized sedan (Camry or Sonata) and there doesn't seem like there's much room to really get anything aside from just buying the car at the given price.

This was 2 years ago now (April 2021, picked it up in July '21) but I used a car buying service and got a few bucks off the MSRP. I'm from the Toronto area, don't know if they service other parts of the province.

E: or what the results will be these days.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I am looking for a trailer to convert into a mobile darkroom. It would be awesome to be able to stand up in it, I'd need 6'2"/190cm at a minimum to do that comfortably. (I can deal with shorter/sitting down while I work if it saves a bunch of money/hassle like I did in my old van, but would rather not).

Enclosed utility trailers seem relatively expensive, and most are 6' or under in interior height. My current frontrunner is finding a gutted camper 14' long or less, or maybe a horse float (these likely seem heavy/overbuilt for what I'm doing though), but if there are any other things I could be searching for, let me know. I've seen those fiberglass dog grooming trailers running around, but not sure if they're actually quite tall enough, and feel like they'd probably be expensive even if I could find one secondhand. Love to keep it $2k or under.

Don't actually have a vehicle yet to tow it either (moving in 2 weeks); at the moment I'm eyeing an 07-09 Toyota Sienna (got a slight HP bump and a more robust motor with timing chain in 07), AWD would be great but they seem quite rare. It has a towing capacity of ~3000lbs, which isn't a tonne in the world of tow vehicles, but should be able to handle something smaller, which is my preference anyways. My thinking is to set up a small darkroom in the back of this for more casual/less planned shoots, and use the trailer for longer trips/more involved stuff, or just in my driveway since I won't be able to setup a home darkroom.

I'd be open to other recommendations on a tow vehicle too; don't care at all about creature comforts or ride quality, mostly just looking for a cheap and reliable daily, only needs to be able to seat me + one passenger. 4WD or AWD would be nice to have (Colorado) but not 100% essential. I can only handle simple stuff mechanically myself and likely won't have access to tools or a good workspace anyways.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 15, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You will not find an enclosed trailer for 2k brand new, so your best bet is to go on Facebook marketplace, select vehicles, then select trailers. See what's available in your area and just go from there.

Also try to figure out the maximum weight of your loaded trailer. That determines what kind of tow vehicle you will be getting. If you're under 3,000 lb, you can tow it with a goddamn Goldwing.

Can you make do with a pop-up camper? Whatever happened to the original advice of a minivan without any trailer shenanigans?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Nitrox posted:

You will not find an enclosed trailer for 2k brand new, so your best bet is to go on Facebook marketplace, select vehicles, then select trailers. See what's available in your area and just go from there.

Also try to figure out the maximum weight of your loaded trailer. That determines what kind of tow vehicle you will be getting. If you're under 3,000 lb, you can tow it with a goddamn Goldwing.

Can you make do with a pop-up camper? Whatever happened to the original advice of a minivan without any trailer shenanigans?

Oh, definitely not new, I'm talking about secondhand. I didn't actually see that option on Marketplace so that's handy!

I have a Yaris now and when I looked into it the consensus seemed to be "a 4x6 flatbed with some green waste" was the safe maximum. Since I'd be doing a lot of driving in the mountains I want a decent margin of towing capacity, from what I read in the Sienna owner's groups they're actually capable of towing a fair bit more than the rated 3k with a few small mods.

I was originally thinking a pop-up but the fact it's not ready to go when you park kills it unfortunately. In addition to cranking it up, I'd have to manually raise whatever work surface (the counters are all really low), get chemistry out, etc, plus those split doors would be a bit of a headache to lightproof. At that point I could have just set up my Ilford tent, although it is fairly vulnerable to wind, even if I stake it down with guy ropes.

Still planning on the van with a small setup at the rear, but I have two different workflows depending on what I'm shooting - was using my van for quick 1-3 shot stops, but if I was going to be somewhere at least a few hours I'd set up the Ilford tent as I really like being able to stand while I work. I can tell I am running the tent into an early grave by using it outdoors though, and I don't enjoy setting it up/breaking it down.

The main reason though is that in addition to the better ergos and ability to do larger plates, it'd also be really nice to have as a workspace at home. We'll either be living with inlaws or in a cramped rental with no room for a darkroom, but I found out that I'll have a free place to park a small to medium sized trailer about 20 minutes away (grandmother-in-law's place, has a big spot next to her garage she doesn't mind me using). Being able to keep my silver nitrate baths in there would also be a massive help in terms of keeping the peace with family/potential landlord; they're not dangerous or anything, but it stains organic matter pretty much permanently, and seems to casually violate the laws of fluid dynamics and gravity at will.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 15, 2023

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Setting aside any discussion of whether leasing is a good idea, if you are going to lease should you still make as big of a down payment as you can or are you better off just getting to a reasonable monthly payment and pocketing the rest?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you planning on trading in the car for another one at the end of the lease or what

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hadlock posted:

Are you planning on trading in the car for another one at the end of the lease or what

Does it change the math?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Past results don't guarantee future results but if I were a betting man I'd say new car prices will be higher and borrowing costs will be cheaper in 3 years than they are today

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dupersaurus posted:

Setting aside any discussion of whether leasing is a good idea, if you are going to lease should you still make as big of a down payment as you can or are you better off just getting to a reasonable monthly payment and pocketing the rest?

Never put anything down on a lease. First months payment, that’s it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The long answer is market (location and timing) specific and you should check out Leasehackr to even touch the tip of the ice berg.

The short answer is leasing is not buying and you tend to retain the most flexibility letting them own as much as possible so

skipdogg posted:

Never put anything down on a lease. First months payment, that’s it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Past results don't guarantee future results but if I were a betting man I'd say new car prices will be higher and borrowing costs will be cheaper in 3 years than they are today

So you’re saying that it might end up being advantageous to lease now, then buy it at the end when rates (might) be better?

zedprime posted:

The short answer is leasing is not buying and you tend to retain the most flexibility letting them own as much as possible so

Is that because a down payment on a lease isn’t equity like in a purchase, so if you have to get out you lose it?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Edit: I am wrong

Calidus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 17, 2023

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And if the car gets totalled you’re out money you otherwise wouldn’t have spent.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Calidus posted:

You are effectively just prepaying a bill with no discount for doing so. So you’re losing the potential value(interest) that money would make over the period.

You shouldn't put anything down on a lease, but that's also not true, a down payment on a lease reduces the financed amount and the amount of interest you pay, same as a loan.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

So I should put down like 15000 on an Altima that has a sticker price of about 36k and a total price( at the end of the lease) after payments, buy out etc of 44000?

The salesman said it was a good deal. And it's through Nissans "smart buy" program.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

So I should put down like 15000 on an Altima that has a sticker price of about 36k and a total price( at the end of the lease) after payments, buy out etc of 44000?

The salesman said it was a good deal. And it's through Nissans "smart buy" program.

You're not fooling anybody. If you can count to those big numbers, you're not a Nissan buyer

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

no

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GD_American posted:

You're not fooling anybody. If you can count to those big numbers, you're not a Nissan buyer

The thread title literally says no rentals and you go and buy the most common rental car on the planet

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

There’s a facebook group called Big Altima Energy about people doing the most Altima things on the road. I didn’t understand it until I rented one and goddamn does that car both suck (binary brakes, no ACC) but also have just enough power to make me drive dumb as gently caress on the freeway

Edit: my road bike with mechanical rim brakes and ten year old pads had more modulation available than the Altima.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

prius

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A large part of this is that Nissan has made a business decision to turn into a subprime lender who happens to manufacture collateral in the form of lovely cars.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I finally got a peak at a Genesis and man, this might be the one.

G70 with the V6 has more horses (365hp) at a cheaper price (44k) than anybody in the luxury sedan game. Outside looks fantastic. Inside is pretty decent; not a huge fan of the center console but it's not offensively bad. Rear seat room and trunk space are the biggest minus. It's an incredibly weirdly proportioned car; if you open the hood, there's a good 15 inch gap between the fan and the front of the engine, which makes for that long snout, at the expense of the Mustang-sized rear seats.

If Hyundai wants to get serious about selling this stuff, they need to get them away from the Hyundai dealer experience. You're selling 50k-80k cars, and you're having a young kid request credit info (his third question was "are you paying cash") before answering anything about the car. (And then having to look up every answer online anyway)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

$44k is not luxury car price and does not have enough margin to get you away form that dealership experience. It's literally below the average new car price right now.

Why would you care? How often do you do this that you want to pay a bunch of extra money for this "experience"?

I'd rather pay the extra to have someone else do all of that poo poo for me and deliver it to my driveway.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 17, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hadlock posted:

The thread title literally says no rentals and you go and buy the most common rental car on the planet

I wouldn't be buying, I'd be leasing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Don't lease a Nissan Altima.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well its too late, but I could buy it out I guess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why bother asking for advice when you're just gonna make whatever lovely decision you were gonna make anyway? Do you just want people to tgell you how wrong you were?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Ambassadorofsodomy is referencing an old post, from probably like 12 years ago or so? which was loving incredible. I hope it got gold mined.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I know the goldmined thread and I guess missed the "sarcasm" or whatever as I was flipping though threads.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Motronic posted:

Why would you care? How often do you do this that you want to pay a bunch of extra money for this "experience"?

I barely do, which is why I put it in a separate paragraph as an observation about Hyundai. The thing is, I am not most people, and most people with money like to have their rear end kissed.

44k is also the literal cheapest thing they sell, so judging the entire model range by it seems like a mistake. They're selling 90k MSRP cars too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tyro posted:

Ambassadorofsodomy is referencing an old post, from probably like 12 years ago or so? which was loving incredible. I hope it got gold mined.

drat you!!
15 years ago but yeah.
For those of you who haven't seen it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2873673

TL,DR:

Guy, fresh out of school takes bus to Nissan dealer,buys leases a "sick Altima" by putting close to 17K down (on a lease):

quote:

It was the last day of school, May of '07. I took the bus to the closest Nissan dealership and couldn't wait to buy first car, a fully loaded and brand new 2007 Altima 3.5SL. I got a great deal on it, too. I test drove it and loved it. Once the initial paperwork was done, I was escorted to the finance department. I sat down with the finance manager Stan, a quick talker and overall very courteous man. He made sure to explain what all the fees and things on the contract meant, and we decided the best thing to do was for me to "Smart Buy" the vehicle. I was told this was basically an offshoot of a standard lease, except it'd be more like financing it since the interest rate would be 3%.

Turns out he didn't even READ the contract, something something at the end of the lease if he wants to buy it out it will cost him just over 40K. People tell him it says right on the contract (that he posted a picture of) three times, $40,006.50 is what he'll have to pay (or will have paid in total). Guy is then all like "I own a successful business, and can afford it, but unethical etc". People call him names and so on.

Some goon googles he user name, finds it on a Nissan board, where he asks about "driving at like 150 mph" or some poo poo. To the guy's credit he does mention doing it on a track, or closed airport runway etc... People advise him against such things, other posts about how the bumper is falling off etc.etc.etc.

As I posted after reading the thread, the guy is the very blueprint of BAE. Big Altima Energy.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I have literally never bought a car before, and I'm in the market now and have no idea what I need to do here. I've been driving the same 2006 Ford Taurus since 2008 and it's finally ready to give up the ghost I think. I've put 6k into it so far this year, and it just broke down AGAIN so I need to move on. I'm not interested in luxury cars, but I have no idea which ones are good budget ones anymore.

Proposed Budget: 25k (+/-5k)
New or Used: I prefer new, but I'll take a used one as long as it's a 2020 or newer with less than 30k miles
Body Style: I'd prefer a hatchback, but a sedan is fine too. No trucks/SUV's please.
How will you be using the car?: I have a 15 minute commute two days a week, so while I think a hybrid would be cool I'm not sure if it's exactly practical at this point. I do try to take a multi-state road trip once a year, but 99% of the driving will be hella local. I figure a fuel efficient gas car will be fine.
What aspects are most important to you? I'd like something more modern than what I have now, that's reliable and easy to maintain. Bluetooth connectivity is a requirement, but I don't think that'll be too hard to find. I'd like a backup camera and/or one of those fancy dashboard screens for GPS and stuff too, but I can live without that if I need to.

Also what's the process here to get a new car? Like I said I am a COMPLETE newbie at this, my dad bought my current car 15 years ago, and I was like 19 at the time so I wasn't paying much attention. I figure I'll make an appointment with my financial advisor sometime soon to see about getting a loan through that bank since I know car salesmen are not to be trusted, but what do I do then? Do they just cut me a check and then I just pay the salesman upfront with it and pay my bank back over time? What if I want to buy it through Carvana or a dealership website? I'd rather buy online if I can since one, transporting cars and logistics is literally my job, so it would be fun to be on the other side of it, and two, I HATE negotiating and dealing with salesmen to begin with.

If there's a better resource for me to look at, just point me in the right direction. But I trust goons more than random google searches and Reddit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

buglord posted:

gruhhh my 2002 corolla isnt long for this world. on top of looking like dookie due to a theft and a later hit-and-run, its really to the point where I'm considering ripping off the band aid here.

1) Is the Prius still the king of "I dont want to think about it" cars? I'd prefer something with minimal cost of ownership as far as repairs, insurance, gas goes. I have a budget of $10k here, the lower the better because that's already my maximum.

Coming back to this from pages ago. I have been able to perform the mental magic of increasing my budget to 15k. Does that open up my options to hybrid/lowest-cost-of-ownership cars besides the Prius? (Not that I have anything against the Prius, but I found out recently that Toyota makes hybrid Corollas now)

Also, something I neglected to ask the first time around - how much more expensive are hybrids versus their non-hybrid counterparts in the used market? Do I have to own a Prius/Hybrid for a certain amount of years/miles before the break-even point vs a conventional car?

Thanks goons.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 18, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the insurance on a prius is notably lower than a hybrid corolla, if you are looking at total cost of ownership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I have literally never bought a car before, and I'm in the market now and have no idea what I need to do here. I've been driving the same 2006 Ford Taurus since 2008 and it's finally ready to give up the ghost I think. I've put 6k into it so far this year, and it just broke down AGAIN so I need to move on. I'm not interested in luxury cars, but I have no idea which ones are good budget ones anymore.

Proposed Budget: 25k (+/-5k)
New or Used: I prefer new, but I'll take a used one as long as it's a 2020 or newer with less than 30k miles
Body Style: I'd prefer a hatchback, but a sedan is fine too. No trucks/SUV's please.
How will you be using the car?: I have a 15 minute commute two days a week, so while I think a hybrid would be cool I'm not sure if it's exactly practical at this point. I do try to take a multi-state road trip once a year, but 99% of the driving will be hella local. I figure a fuel efficient gas car will be fine.
What aspects are most important to you? I'd like something more modern than what I have now, that's reliable and easy to maintain. Bluetooth connectivity is a requirement, but I don't think that'll be too hard to find. I'd like a backup camera and/or one of those fancy dashboard screens for GPS and stuff too, but I can live without that if I need to.

Also what's the process here to get a new car? Like I said I am a COMPLETE newbie at this, my dad bought my current car 15 years ago, and I was like 19 at the time so I wasn't paying much attention. I figure I'll make an appointment with my financial advisor sometime soon to see about getting a loan through that bank since I know car salesmen are not to be trusted, but what do I do then? Do they just cut me a check and then I just pay the salesman upfront with it and pay my bank back over time? What if I want to buy it through Carvana or a dealership website? I'd rather buy online if I can since one, transporting cars and logistics is literally my job, so it would be fun to be on the other side of it, and two, I HATE negotiating and dealing with salesmen to begin with.

If there's a better resource for me to look at, just point me in the right direction. But I trust goons more than random google searches and Reddit.
Congratulations on your new Prius.

Car loans are secured which means there is a lot more paperwork than a check changing hands in 99% of cases. You will get a quote on a loan for the amount you need financed from multiple banks and put the quote with the best terms in your back pocket. You will know how much you need financed by knowing how much you want to put down and how much you can afford total.

When you are shopping you don't mention this till you've found a car you're ready to buy. Online, not really a problem but in the real world salespeople will often try to make conversation and greatly change their tactics if they know you are not a lock for their financing. When you've selected a car and negotiated a price, you should see what their financing offer is going to be, compare it to the quote in your back pocket, and choose the better one. If it happens to be the quote from your shopping around, they will take the quote, make contact with the bank, and fill out a ream of paperwork that gets them paid and the bank on the title. Meanwhile you'll make your down payment, fill out your own ream of purchasing agreements, and get pressure sold a bunch of warranties, maintenance guarantees, and car washes you don't need.

Opening joke is not a joke, you're a shoe in for a Prius with your needs and budget. You may also consider other hatches like a Mazda 3 or Civic. With your budget I'd lean new as the used market is still a little crazy and you probably won't pay much less if at all with a main bonus being you may get the car sooner than a new hatch.