Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

His argument comes down to the idea that what the meat industry does is so bad that anyone who eats animal products shouldn't have a problem with it. Which if it was an extremely militant argument for veganism would be weird, but at least understandable. YMS is not a vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

His argument comes down to the idea that what the meat industry does is so bad that anyone who eats animal products shouldn't have a problem with it. Which if it was an extremely militant argument for veganism would be weird, but at least understandable. YMS is not a vegan.

Captain Planet: reduce, reuse, recycle
YMS: i want to gently caress my burger

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

Captain Planet: reduce, reuse, recycle
YMS: i want to gently caress my burger

Where does the human pet guy fall on this scale

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grondoth posted:

So one time he far overstated the importance of Citizen Kane by saying it invented cinematic structure, when instead it's famous for inventing a lot of cinematic language. Therefore, anything he ever said about anything is invalid.

nailed it

Yep. And also

quote:

cinematic structure

and

quote:

cinematic language

are not the same thing.

Alaois posted:

If youre gonna try discrediting yms at least post the tweets where he said people should be allowed to have sex with animals

Well, I don't have a twitter any more after I got kicked off for telling Graham Linehan that Magdalene Berns being dead is awesome.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So the live action Little mermaid is good?

If you want to watch it, watch it. Don't rely on the opinion of some loser on the internet. Plus hey, it makes racists angry, so it must be doing something right.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

If there's one thing I've learned being here, it's never believe anything a goon says about someone if they don't provide some sort of evidence.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Garrand posted:

If there's one thing I've learned being here, it's never believe anything a goon says about someone if they don't provide some sort of evidence.

Mods knew

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
My recent gripe with YMS is he utterly missed the themes of the recent Matrix sequel in his review. But it's not that great a movie anyhow so who cares

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wow, talk about a kiss the dog moment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bakeneko posted:

I think I remember hearing something about it, but I assumed either it was just a rumour or maybe it came from some sort of edgy joke he'd made that people were overreacting to. I had no idea he’d admitted to it.

I think I confused Ralph the Movie Maker for doing it, but helpfully I never watch either of them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

edogawa rando posted:

If you want to watch it, watch it. Don't rely on the opinion of some loser on the internet. Plus hey, it makes racists angry, so it must be doing something right.

I think watching trash because it makes other people mad seems dumb as hell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Max enjoys some Freak Fights in SF6 :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c27q38OfMc&hd=1

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So the live action Little mermaid is good?

Nah, it's bad in the same way most of the live action disney renaissance movies are (Mulan is extra bad in exciting new ways). If you haven't seen one then sure, go ahead, you may like it. But if you have already seen something like the new beauty and the beast and disliked it then the little mermaid has more or less the same issues.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dan Olson next video preview

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObservantEvilPancakeSquadGoals-GArq3A2eD1BmVVkv

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

edogawa rando posted:

Plus hey, it makes racists angry, so it must be doing something right.

are we really still falling for this poo poo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

spoiler alert: the movie is yet another creatively bankrupt nostalgia cash grab aimed at depressed white millennials who can’t emotionally cope with the fact that their childhood movies had problematic elements in them. but let’s all give Disney a big round of applause for having the bravery to cast a black woman in a movie in 20-loving-23. truly a culturally important moment this is

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Don't forget to celebrate upsetting online racists, the most stoic and least reactionary people online.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Augus posted:

are we really still falling for this poo poo

Can you truly enjoy something unless you know it makes some other person completely unrelated to you mad???

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

let's gooooooooo :woop: :woop: :woop:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

RIP Hat Dan, long live Sweatband Dan

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Hell yeah, I didn't know he was a fellow Davinci Resolve user. :toot:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gnome de plume posted:

RIP Hat Dan, long live Sweatband Dan

Swan Olson?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He should bring the puppet back.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

He should bring the puppet back.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that he canned the puppet because it was a pain in the rear end to shoot.

But I guess if he's doing on-location stuff in Vegas, then he probably has a bit more budget to work with these days.

Edit: I wonder if he'll do an AI video. Although, deep-learning models are a bit less of a gift than NFTs, Web 3.0, and Penny Stocks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He could animate a cartoon version of himself that cycles through three or four still poses on a black background as he talks. It could be him in a suit or a tuxedo making a dreamworks smirk.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that he canned the puppet because it was a pain in the rear end to shoot.

Dan's said he couldn't do it anymore after a shoulder injury.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

pizza does not feature soup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uCBgdvSTo8

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Augus posted:

but let’s all give Disney a big round of applause for having the bravery to cast a black woman in a movie in 20-loving-23. truly a culturally important moment this is

Cool. Tell a person of colour that representation doesn’t apparently matter.

Meanwhile, I got to watch someone that looks like me get hounded off social media and have their role in a 2.5-hour film get whittled down to around 90 seconds, often standing behind a loving hobbit because the people making the film were a bunch of cowards. Oh, and every time someone that looks like me gets cast in a mainstream film, a bunch of loving white nerds having to Kramer into the discussion and poo poo all over it because it doesn’t pass their purity test get grating at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've seen the clip of Under the Sea and it looks like poo poo, the Scuttle song is poo poo, Ursula looks like poo poo, everything about it is bad just like all the other live action adaptions.

These lovely live action remakes make a billion dollars so they're never going away but I hate them. They're gonna make a live action version of Lilo and Stitch for fucks sake, that should be a war crime.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

edogawa rando posted:

Meanwhile, I got to watch someone that looks like me get hounded off social media and have their role in a 2.5-hour film get whittled down to around 90 seconds, often standing behind a loving hobbit because the people making the film were a bunch of cowards. Oh, and every time someone that looks like me gets cast in a mainstream film, a bunch of loving white nerds having to Kramer into the discussion and poo poo all over it because it doesn’t pass their purity test get grating at all.

Hi, another person of color here. I simply think we shouldn’t rely on loving Disney to give us half-assed representation when there’s plenty of media out there that does it far better.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I didn't want to see the little mermaid so I just made a donation in its name

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

edogawa rando posted:

No one in this thread is saying anything like this at all, they are just saying that you don't have to watch complete trash just because the stupidest people on the planet are riled up about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One of the earliest comments regarding our stupid film culture war that I can remember was a black guy saying he hated that he had to go buy a ticket to Red Tails but that he felt obligated so that it would make its money back and maybe clear the way for a movie with a black cast that wasn’t total garbage.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

As a Rhino I would just go watch something I enjoy, like sunsets

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Flying Zamboni posted:

No one in this thread is saying anything like this at all, they are just saying that you don't have to watch complete trash just because the stupidest people on the planet are riled up about it.

One of the worst things internet culture wars do is make us participate in stupid fights and do stupid things because if we don't, the bad guys will win. It's stressful, you can't ever win, and anyone who points out how dumb it is is now your enemy instead of someone going "this is stupid you know"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

edogawa rando posted:

Do you really want the loving live action Little Mermaid to be your representation?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Yourmoviesucksdotorg Adam is one of those early 2000s smart guys who can make normal points, but will also do stupid devil's advocate thought experiments or just talk out of his rear end authoritatively in that super grating way people want to dunk on. On the plus side, I haven't seen him offering to accept bitcoin donations on his recent videos :v:

Flying Zamboni posted:

It doesn't help that Disney does the diversity thing as part of the running down their checklist of "improving" the movies by fixating on awkwardly patching over CinemaSins plot holes and shallow feminist listicle dings to the point that it undermines the messages of the movie and also very, very carefully avoiding anything too explicitly brushing up against LGBTQIA+ content or characters.

Like The Lion King drew heat for how the main POC in the voice cast were the three bumbling comedy villain sidekick hyenas. It led to the the hyenas being coded as an innately stupid racial minority who were chased out of the pridelands by the dominant lions, forced to live in a lovely rocky waste, and easily tricked and led around by the conniving evil lion. Problematic!

So how do we fix that? Hmm what if we justify that they can't rule by saying they're unable to control their innate destructive urge. They will never stop consuming! Oh and cut the comedy side bits that end up humanizing them at all. Oh and make it so the only main hyena is the female one to show we have a powerful lady in charge! There, we've solved all the problematic racial implications of the hyenas.... except it actually make it worse because the minority-coding is still there but now they're explicitly assigned an Always Chaotic Evil alignment and :biotruths: about why they're unfit to rise above their lot in life.

Oh and we have to remove every bit of campy charm from Scar because people noticed how all our villains are queer coded (yes!) and it's easier to just remove that than self-reflect at all.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

I've seen the clip of Under the Sea and it looks like poo poo, the Scuttle song is poo poo, Ursula looks like poo poo, everything about it is bad just like all the other live action adaptions.

Sanic looked better.

At least Pinocchio is so-loving-bad-it's-funny. TLM is aggressively meh. It's truly remarkable that they somehow managed to suck all the charm away from the original. Impressive stuff.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I forgot a new Disney Pinocchio existed and was like you did not just call the gdt version loving bad

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
the one thing I will say that at least you can tell sebastian is a crab in this one; I've always kinda hated his design in the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Kc greens pinnochio is the best one imo