Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So is there like a weird glitch/oversight with monster formations in Trails to Zero? There’s three enemies (Sasa Panda, Bad Frogger, Calamaflier) that I didn’t initially scan because I rolled a Team Attack and figured “well, I’ll just come back when I’m overleveled” (or because Bad Frogger just outright ran away) and fighting the handful of Butterfliers on Ursula Road doesn’t have them. Are they just rare chances of being in a given mob and I just got lucky my first time through the chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Last Celebration posted:

So is there like a weird glitch/oversight with monster formations in Trails to Zero? There’s three enemies (Sasa Panda, Bad Frogger, Calamaflier) that I didn’t initially scan because I rolled a Team Attack and figured “well, I’ll just come back when I’m overleveled” (or because Bad Frogger just outright ran away) and fighting the handful of Butterfliers on Ursula Road doesn’t have them. Are they just rare chances of being in a given mob and I just got lucky my first time through the chapter?

Yes, exactly that. They are rare mobs, but I'm not sure if you caught the Goldenflier.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Great. I hope the 100% bestiary reward sucks then

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ImpAtom posted:

as well as a guy with a shotgun.

quote:

His allies all grow in power with him except for the guy with the shotgun who just has a really loving good shotgun.
Turns out that bringing a shotgun to a sword fight works really well.

Stop failing your inspections.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Some Numbers posted:

Turns out that bringing a shotgun to a sword fight works really well.

Stop failing your inspections.

:hmmyes:

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Elie should upgrade to a shotgun.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Irisize posted:

Elie should upgrade to a shotgun.

:hmmyes:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

...! posted:

It was also annoying to discover that vital story knowledge is hidden in Daydreams/Reverie minigames. It's especially important to unlock the Tyrfing minigame and watch its opening cutscene ASAP or part of Chapter 3 will be a little confusing.

Aren't those things random drops? I don't have a mingame by that name, and I don't think I can get any more minigame orbs at the point I am in the story (Act III). I'm not sure what I should be confused by.

In any case, I've done one route (Lloyd Act III end) (Alisa MVP in the boss battle thanks to Heavenly Gift), and almost done another. (C route) Irritatingly, I need to redo the entire final section again as I could not beat the stupid boss in the 40 turn limit for bonus RP. I'll change my setup and try again.

Is there something I should be doing with Swin to make them good? He's got a crappy self-buff and two crafts which only apply Marking. All I can think to do with him is give him Break 3 and Impede 3.

Last Celebration posted:

Great. I hope the 100% bestiary reward sucks then

As far as I know, there is no reward other than the 500 Mira + 1 U-Material for collecting a certain amount. The achievement is not even obtainable unless you're on NG+.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Am I the only one who just kinda assumes orbital hand arms scale with your power level since they’re just magic guns and your magic spells from your magic pocket watch/iPhone scales with you too? I guess it’s never said but I figure that’s why you can just facetank gunshots too and just get chipped, because weak people are using them most of the time.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Aren't those things random drops? I don't have a mingame by that name, and I don't think I can get any more minigame orbs at the point I am in the story (Act III). I'm not sure what I should be confused by.

In any case, I've done one route (Lloyd Act III end) (Alisa MVP in the boss battle thanks to Heavenly Gift), and almost done another. (C route) Irritatingly, I need to redo the entire final section again as I could not beat the stupid boss in the 40 turn limit for bonus RP. I'll change my setup and try again.

Is there something I should be doing with Swin to make them good? He's got a crappy self-buff and two crafts which only apply Marking. All I can think to do with him is give him Break 3 and Impede 3.

As far as I know, there is no reward other than the 500 Mira + 1 U-Material for collecting a certain amount. The achievement is not even obtainable unless you're on NG+.

Oh, guess I’ll start worrying if you can’t even get it on a vanilla run.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

So I just finished Zero and I want to confirm something before I start Azure:

Was it explained in the TiTS games how Weismann mind controlled all the non-Joshua characters? I ask because the end of Zero everyone is mind controlled via drug and I can’t remember if they explicitly say in the TiTS trilogy how everyone there got mind controlled. I think I remember the Liber Ark people were mind controlled with drugs? Basically without spoiling past Zero is there mind control related info I’m forgetting?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Trails from Reverie Abyss Difficulty Update 3

Act 2

The lich in the basement of the museum was a nightmare. It took me several tries and builds before I landed on one that worked, which was very stupid. I cleared the adds by just immediately using my S-breaks, and then everyone died but Ash, who I had given maximum magic evade. Ash then solod the boss with counterattacks and spamming ice cream that gave +Str/Def to deal with the occasional physical attack. After that there were no more barriers to the Reverie Corridor, and once my inventories were combined I became unstoppable. Everyone got a the trade Mishy item that gives 25k max hp and a Deep Ocher, except Rixia who got two Evergreens and now has 78% Evasion and 100% Magic Evasion with no buffs. She is incredibly good. Breezed through the dungeon, got Rose from the gacha and set her up spam her craft and then did it a second time. Stopped there for the evening, but I'm feeling so strong now I suspect the rest of the game will go much more quickly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Am I the only one who just kinda assumes orbital hand arms scale with your power level since they’re just magic guns and your magic spells from your magic pocket watch/iPhone scales with you too? I guess it’s never said but I figure that’s why you can just facetank gunshots too and just get chipped, because weak people are using them most of the time.

Oh, guess I’ll start worrying if you can’t even get it on a vanilla run.

Your spells explicitly get more powerful pretty much every game because they keep upgrading the gear (which is also conveniently why most of your quartz either become unusable or get severe nerfs.) Weapons get better overall but there's not really any indication that guns are becoming meaningful in any fashion. There are a lot of them and being shot is bad but pretty much every person of real power either uses melee weapons or weird melee/ranged hybrids or as is becoming increasingly common in the setting, robots.

Guns just work better in the hands of protagonist characters. Sometimes because of their raw skill, like Claire is implied to be absolutely hilariously bonkers good at sniping and shooting. Machias in particular is funny just because everyone who surrounds him is some kind of insanely well trained fighting genius or literally bonded to a robot or a witch or whatever and he's just this completely bog-standard dude with literally no special (combat) skills or abilities who is right there alongside everyone else with his shotgun and a determined look on his face.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Was it explained in the TiTS games how Weismann mind controlled all the non-Joshua characters? I ask because the end of Zero everyone is mind controlled via drug and I can’t remember if they explicitly say in the TiTS trilogy how everyone there got mind controlled. I think I remember the Liber Ark people were mind controlled with drugs? Basically without spoiling past Zero is there mind control related info I’m forgetting?

liber ark people were directly put into a euphoric/hallucinogenic state by the aureole with it modifying brain chemistry directly. It’s not directly said how Weissman did it other than Joshua’s stigma but given how Ouroboros destroyed the paradise cult lodge with prejudice its probably not with drugs and just via his experience with thaumaturgy from his time with the church and his study into stigmas

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Swin's always pretty good? He has a lot of synergy with his Brave Order, since he wants to be attacking as many times as possible, it buffs his Attack, and the critical hits always activate follow-ups to keep it going. Use Marking, use Revelation on the strongest enemy he's Marked, use Marking, repeat, activate his Brave Order any time you're at max BP to keep strength buffs up and maxed. (And because spamming Brave Orders increases your experience modifier. Make numbers go up!) You get Gungnir at the end of Rean's chapter 2 and activating his Marks is an automatic critical, so having Gungnir or the other "increase critical hits damage" MQ on Swin all the time greatly increases his damage.

Other than that, whoever has Gungnir should also have the Rage quartz, so you may as well hand him other Evasion things so he gets some free extra damage sometimes. IIRC counters are considered normal attacks for the purposes of Marking application (but counters don't activate Marks), so any time he counters he should have a 60% chance of being able to skip Marking next time. Unfortunately C's Soul Eater flings him into enemy groups and keeps Swin from getting all of the aggro, so dodge-tanking isn't a very reliable strategy for C's team.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unfortunately he's a swordie so 3/4 of the time the enemies will hit you from outside counterattack range.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 17, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

TheMightyBoops posted:

It's generally suggested that it's Church-based thaumaturgy/hypnosis, given what Kevin says when he dispels it during SC chapter 6.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Swin is loving poo poo. Even Alfin is better. Good luck trying to make him actually good

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You Swin some you Slose some.

But yeah I wish he had at least one more craft that did something like line damage.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
If you wanted Swin to do physical damage the best plan would probably be to have him linked to a dodge tank so he can apply marking for free that way. Unfortunately the only ranged attack in C's group is Nadia, which would be a waste, so that plan's out the window.

BUT Swin is pretty fast, so he's kind of good at most things by default. Just toss some arts on him to do whatever needs doing.

CubeTheory posted:

The lich in the basement of the museum was a nightmare.

You can petrify that guy, which I find hilarious.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ohtsam posted:

liber ark people were directly put into a euphoric/hallucinogenic state by the aureole with it modifying brain chemistry directly. It’s not directly said how Weissman did it other than Joshua’s stigma but given how Ouroboros destroyed the paradise cult lodge with prejudice its probably not with drugs and just via his experience with thaumaturgy from his time with the church and his study into stigmas

Cyouni posted:

It's generally suggested that it's Church-based thaumaturgy/hypnosis, given what Kevin says when he dispels it during SC chapter 6.

Oh yeah I guess that does make sense.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The only ranged character I ever use as a dodge tank is Fie. I don't care if people think it's "not optimal" to use high base damage melee attackers instead of low base damage ranged attackers.

(Reverie) Two-thirds of the Act III routes are finished now. Story speculation and such spoiler.

(LLoyd end)
I have to say, I was expecting the boss to be Fake Irina Reinford, given the hints that the factory started R&D as soon as Crossbell was occupied, it looked normal a month ago, and it is getting unaccountable supplies of iron from somewhere, which Reinford Inc. should have noticed if it was smuggled from the empire. Yet amazingly I don't think that she's involved, as amoral as she often is. A duplicate could fool people well enough to get this done.

Speaking of which, it's a little irritating how the series sometimes makes a key point about logistics mattering, but also sometimes pretends they don't exist. Such as the time in Cold Steel III where the protagonists determined there must be a base where all the archaisms are coming from (presumably for maintenance and recharging), but after going to the Only Possible Spot, no such base existed. If you don't need special stuff for maintenance or recharging and just a quiet spot out of the way, that could be practically anywhere in the countryside. The protagonists only check things on the road or just slightly off of it.

(C end)
Even with stronger arts and a better setup, it still took me 36 turns to beat the boss for bonus RP.

Story-wise, Novartis confirmed what I suspected – that even if they’re involved. Ouroboros has no interest in the Independent Nation of Crossbell’s success or failure.

But if Ouroboros isn’t behind this plot, I’m not sure who could be. It's someone who reverse engineered the Astral Code. Renne thinks that's impossible. The Epstein Foundation has the android tech for sure, but we don’t know enough people in it, and it should be someone we know. Not Tio. Jona seems doubtful as well. Roberts is the only other one there and he doesn't seem important enough to be it. George is probably on the path to redemption and I know of no other living gnomes (although they had to have gone somewhere - I don't know why people seem to think they don't exist anymore. No one has told me that there were literally only two Gnomes left.). Irina Reinford doesn’t fit either, she’s a skilled manager, but nothing indicates she’s a genius coder. Not Mariabell. I don't think Ian has the coding skills. Stefan isn't important enough, and you probably don't remember who he is.

As an aside, the ear tag on Nadia's teddy bear as a phrase in Latin: "nihil aliud est ebrietas quam voluntaria insania", which translates into English as "Drunkenness is nothing but voluntary insanity."

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 17, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I will say one of my hands down favourite moments in Cold Steel / Reverie games is when Lechter is in your party and some big tough boss starts and his wild card craft insta-kills it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just want to get Laura so I can set her up as a ridiculous HP tank again.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

I will say one of my hands down favourite moments in Cold Steel / Reverie games is when Lechter is in your party and some big tough boss starts and his wild card craft insta-kills it.

lechter sucks

the story hyped him up as this amazing badass Ironblood and they gave him Chevalier as his starting MQ, but he's absolutely godawful in combat.

come to think of it, Claire's kind of the same, minus the awesome MQ.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well yeah, that's why him insta-killing even the toughest boss is so funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cold steel 3 introducing that canned walk away while waving animation that gets overused to hell and then lechter weaponizing it in his s-craft is one of the funniest jokes in the series

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is it Ash who has it modified to just be a middle finger?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The CG cutscene Falcom sprung for near the end of Zero was a great choice BTW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lechter's daydream did a lot to improve my opinion of him

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Genuinely cannot understand people who think Lechter's combat is bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Already know the answer really but have they mentioned fixing the console versions of Reverie yet?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Already know the answer really but have they mentioned fixing the console versions of Reverie yet?

This made me realise that the PC version is getting regular fixes. I have a feeling that they're using the PC as the testbed before pushing it to console, given that the PC version of the game you have to reopen between plays whereas we often just suspend on console.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the bigger deal is that on console sony has to approve the patches, a process that can take weeks. better to just lump it all into one patch

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Terper posted:

I'm open to being wrong. How did you build him and what does he do?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He doesn't need to be "built", he's got a powerful self-buff, a very strong and cheap craft that can inflict Burn and Nightmare, strong support/insta-kill opportunity with his cards, and high stats in everything relevant. And of course his Brave Order.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Terper posted:

Because it's objectively correct? His physical strength is slightly better than Elie's (bad) and his ATS is slightly weaker than Elie. He's got a meh self-buff, a single AoE craft, and a crappy random effect craft which is bad by definition because it is random and you can't use it tactically. The Order is good, but you don't need him on the front line for that.

Cold Steel 1: “What good are swords against tanks?”
Cold Steel 4 & Reverie: People use melee weapons and small arms to beat up tanks.

(Reverie, Rean Act III, Part 2)

“This is awful!” a person says, over a backdrop of smoke coming from unburned grass and completely intact buildings. Poor set dressing, guys, I can see that nothing is damaged.

A hearty gently caress you for pointlessly poor communication directed to both Musse and Mueller. In the first case, Musse should tell the class what she knows or suspects. She is not Lechter, she does not get "hunches," she explicitly uses her alleged Big Brain to take in information, lots of puzzle pieces, and put them all together. So if she thinks there's a need to bring in backup, she should be able to express why and she should definitely share that information with Rean.

Mueller, being an adult and a Colonel in the military, has even less excuse. You don't just go radio silence out of nowhere. If you have important information, share it with the people you are loving working with. You do not keep it a secret. If you think that ARCUS communications are not secure enough to share the info over the open line, you should have worked out a code signal with Rean beforehand. You KNEW that some in the military are compromised before heading here. If you can't talk and can't make it back to the settlement, at least acknowledge the signal to indicate that you are alive and free. Leaving it a mystery is not helpful to anyone

EDIT: Why am I literally fighting rats in Act 3 and why are they not dying in one hit? They're rats.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 17, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is a JRPG and enemies get stronger as the game advances.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

EDIT: Why am I literally fighting rats in Act 3 and why are they not dying in one hit? They're rats.

It's an RPG, rats are eternal alpha predators.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

“I am the Angel of slaugh… whoa” Proceeds to fall over while trying to hit a pom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rrrrrrat