Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Every 3rd party leather case just seems to completely fumble the buttons. Garbage, mushy buttons are such a hard pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

My dad lost the ability to talk about 15 years ago, and it’s super sad not to be able to hear his voice. My wife also passed away and despite having hundreds of photos of us, I realized I only had a couple of videos where you can hear her talk. I’ll probably go through setting this up as a future measure more than anything.
I am so sorry for your loss, and I appreciate this post because it reminds me to save as much media of my loved ones as I can.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Going against the goon grain to say the current Apple leather cases are fine. They are egregiously overpriced for what they are as has been said to death, but that’s not going to change. They do get beaten up more then the old cases. I think one reason for this, other than profit seeking, is that phones have gotten thinner and cases have to as well. Cases feeling chunky has always been a liability for case manufacturers.

Apple does a very good job molding the leather-waved-by-cow with the plastic to make a thin light case that disintegrates if you aren’t careful. They have excellent metal buttons. This allows them to command the price they do.

They have so far beat the other third party options for my specific mix of preferences/quality etc. on everything except price.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 16, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

My dad lost the ability to talk about 15 years ago, and it’s super sad not to be able to hear his voice. My wife also passed away and despite having hundreds of photos of us, I realized I only had a couple of videos where you can hear her talk. I’ll probably go through setting this up as a future measure more than anything.

Ugh I just want to say I am super sorry, no one deserves a loss like that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Saddleback Leather makes iPhone cases of actual leather but they're literally just hard leather molded into a phone shape. No MagSafe so it's a pass from me.

I bought one and as much as I love saddleback ( I have a poo poo load of their stuff) it’s one of the worst cases ever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I’ve looked into those since I have zero issue actually paying money for a quality leather case but it needs to actually be functional.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’ve got no problem with the basic Apple leather ones, but the patina on it is kinda gross and someone mentioned Bullstrap earlier in the thread and they look like pretty decent. How’s the feel though? Are they relatively soft like the Apple leather ones? That’s probably what I like most about them, how comfortable they feel in the hand.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I’ve got no problem with the basic Apple leather ones, but the patina on it is kinda gross and someone mentioned Bullstrap earlier in the thread and they look like pretty decent. How’s the feel though? Are they relatively soft like the Apple leather ones? That’s probably what I like most about them, how comfortable they feel in the hand.

I have like 3 of their cases (you’ve seen my case drawer) and I can say that they have good hand feel lmfao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

I have like 3 of their cases (you’ve seen my case drawer) and I can say that they have good hand feel lmfao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My leather one deteriorated after 1.5 years and I ordered a Nomad case a few days ago.
Creative is BACK baby

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

American McGay posted:

The word that comes to mind when thinking about how Bullstrap cases feel is "supple." They have a nice soft very mildly squishy feel to them. The buttons are in a layer between the leather and the inner microfiber lining and they feel good enough IMO. They don't have any protective coating or anything on them, so they will develop patina pretty quickly. I always get the regular saddle brown and within a couple months it's very apparent. I've had one on my 14 Pro since January and it has taken on a cognac color.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
When I got the official Apple folio for my iPad Pro; which actually looks and feels decent despite not being leather I realised that it doesn’t have a ‘case’ component at all, it just sticks to the back of the iPad magnetically. A real leather folio for the iPhone that does the same thing would be pretty nice I think.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I completely get you there. My stepdaughter passed away almost 2 years ago and I miss hearing her voice. She was pretty good about recording herself. It would’ve been nice to have something already set up to hear her say certain things to us.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I plug my iPhone into a pc it asks if I want to give the pc access to my photos and videos and poo poo. For this particular pc my answer is always no. How do I make the iPhone remember my answer?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I figured this might be the best place to ask. Is there a way to force the OneDrive app to reupload pics from my iPhone? Say OneDrive has already backed up my photos from last month but I haven't had a chance to go through and clean out the junk. If I delete those junk photos from my iPhone and also delete them from OneDrive, the app doesn't reupload. I tried removing/reinstalling the app but it seems like OneDrive has a cache/index somewhere of previously uploaded photos that I want to reset.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I plug my iPhone into a pc it asks if I want to give the pc access to my photos and videos and poo poo. For this particular pc my answer is always no. How do I make the iPhone remember my answer?

I thought it was an iOS change sometime during 16 where it asks every time? In the case that you said yes then later wanted to deny access.

I used an app called Bark that does iOS backups on my kids phones via iTunes and analyzes them for certain content filters. It used to work flawlessly after trusting my computer once, but then sometime in the last year it started asking for a passcode to trust my computer every time their phone hit the WiFi.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Josh Lyman posted:

I figured this might be the best place to ask. Is there a way to force the OneDrive app to reupload pics from my iPhone? Say OneDrive has already backed up my photos from last month but I haven't had a chance to go through and clean out the junk. If I delete those junk photos from my iPhone and also delete them from OneDrive, the app doesn't reupload. I tried removing/reinstalling the app but it seems like OneDrive has a cache/index somewhere of previously uploaded photos that I want to reset.

Delete from onedrive first, then iOS photos. Doing the reverse makes it fail their upload logic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Delete from onedrive first, then iOS photos. Doing the reverse makes it fail their upload logic.
I tried that just now along with logging out of and reinstalling the app and it didn’t help. :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Josh Lyman posted:

I tried that just now along with logging out of and reinstalling the app and it didn’t help. :(

Delete from the web page? After that it's time to call Mumbai and pray for help.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

I believe that’s the only way it turns on. I’m an idiot though so I could be wrong.
On this same note - if anyone uses Continuity Camera, nightstand mode will turn on if the phone is charging, and will kill the camera. Took me a minute to figure out what was happening. I'm not exactly sure how to turn it off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I noticed part of the screen of my iphone8 isn't sitting flush with the edge anymore (right by the volume controls) - like it's popping off slightly. What are the odds that the battery is swelling and not some other issue?

Right now it doesn't seem like there's anything fucky going on in terms of charge/battery behavior (I saw someone reporting they had issues getting the phone charged prior to having the battery swell) but it also sits docked most of the day.

Like, I probably need to get it looked at one way or another, but the apple stores aren't super close to me and I'm not sure how much I want to go all the way to one, find out it's gonna cost a bunch to fix, and that I'd be better off just replacing it through my cell provider or something.

Also, what poo poo should I do now incase my phone is on the verge of death?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What does battery health say?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

What does battery health say?
"Service - Battery health significantly degraded"

Probably not a great sign, though maximum capacity says 99%?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think they mean it sounds like the battery is swollen which is bad because it can turn into a flamethrower.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Oxyclean posted:

"Service - Battery health significantly degraded"

Probably not a great sign, though maximum capacity says 99%?

Your physical symptoms plus this scream bad swollen battery. Power it off and get it repaired or replaced immediately. Swollen batteries are no joke.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

yeah I guess it's time to upgrade anyways.

Given I've had my 8 since 2018, is there a compelling reason to spring for something more the an iphone 12? Not really making a ton of use of my phones these days with WFH.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

yeah I guess it's time to upgrade anyways.

Given I've had my 8 since 2018, is there a compelling reason to spring for something more the an iphone 12? Not really making a ton of use of my phones these days with WFH.

Better camera (got kids?). 120hz promotion display.

That’s it really.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Unless you have a very tight budget, I think it’s waste of money to buy what is effectively a three year old. If you’re trying to save a few bucks I’d check out the current SE.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I noticed part of the screen of my iphone8 isn't sitting flush with the edge anymore (right by the volume controls) - like it's popping off slightly. What are the odds that the battery is swelling and not some other issue?

Right now it doesn't seem like there's anything fucky going on in terms of charge/battery behavior (I saw someone reporting they had issues getting the phone charged prior to having the battery swell) but it also sits docked most of the day.

Like, I probably need to get it looked at one way or another, but the apple stores aren't super close to me and I'm not sure how much I want to go all the way to one, find out it's gonna cost a bunch to fix, and that I'd be better off just replacing it through my cell provider or something.

Also, what poo poo should I do now incase my phone is on the verge of death?

iPhone battery swaps are a flat rate repair. For the iPhone 8 it’s $69.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Buy a brand new 13 Mini for like $500.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

It’s also like $360 on swappa.com

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Unless you have a very tight budget, I think it’s waste of money to buy what is effectively a three year old. If you’re trying to save a few bucks I’d check out the current SE.

American McGay posted:

Downside is I don't see those as an option with my provider.

From my provider I got the 13 for 31$ a month for 24 months (744$ Canadian, ~565 USD)
or the 12 for 24x24 (576$ CAD, 437 USD)
and 35x24 for the 14.

It looks like the SE is well, 579$ Canadian to buy direct from Apple. 13 mini says 849$ Canadian, which is closer to 649$ USD? (Checking the American version of the page it's 599$ MSRP?)

e: There's also like a bit of a bonus of like "can I get this tomorrow" (or very soon) cause of poo poo I need on my phone like 2FA crap.
e2: That said, I appreciate the suggestions, hope this doesn't seem combative.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 19, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Downside is I don't see those as an option with my provider.

From my provider I got the 13 for 31$ a month for 24 months (744$ Canadian, ~565 USD)
or the 12 for 24x24 (576$ CAD, 437 USD)
and 35x24 for the 14.

It looks like the SE is well, 579$ Canadian to buy direct from Apple. 13 mini says 849$ Canadian, which is closer to 649$ USD? (Checking the American version of the page it's 599$ MSRP?)

e: There's also like a bit of a bonus of like "can I get this tomorrow" (or very soon) cause of poo poo I need on my phone like 2FA crap.
e2: That said, I appreciate the suggestions, hope this doesn't seem combative.

If you buy the wrong phone Tim Apple is going to send goons to your house and beat you up.

If you’re totally fine with the phone you have I’d just pay for a battery swap from the closest froot shoppe. How far is “not very close” to you?

Either way, a swollen battery is no joke. It’s literally a fire bomb waiting to go off. Do not plug it in, and do not put it in your pockets.

https://youtu.be/jGUkKi7cfK4

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 19, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

To be clear - if it's swelling, it seems really subtle/not far along. Not that I plan to gently caress around and find out. Might need to figure out how the hell to do a transfer though.

Battery replacement is like 100$ Canadian. It's hard to feel worth it for a phone this old, particularly given I think this would be the second battery replacement I'd be doing for it. (Last one was cause the charge went to poo poo.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Your current phone will not get iOS 17 so there’s that to factor in when deciding on whether or not to do the replacement.

For a transfer, you can just do a full iTunes backup or iCloud.

2FA can be trickier depending on the app. Any good app should support iCloud backups or some sort of export. Set up the new phone and reinstall the app, restore the backup and you should be good to go.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For some reason I thought I remember my iphone5 to iphone 8 transfer being pretty smooth w/r/t to apps, and possibly no hiccups with 2fa apps, but that was so long ago it's possibly I just went throught the trouble of resetting them or something. I dont remember what exactly I did back then, I assume it was the itunes backup or something?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think nowadays setting up a new phone can be done phone to phone or something. One of the phones will display a weird 3D QR like thing (but it’s not QR) and you use the other phone to take a picture of it and then it just works.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
While it's not 100% perfect, your new phone pretty much just becomes your old phone. Sometimes in ways maybe it shouldn't? Although I guess you jump through enough security hoops while doing the setup that maybe that's not actually a threat.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

For some reason I thought I remember my iphone5 to iphone 8 transfer being pretty smooth w/r/t to apps, and possibly no hiccups with 2fa apps, but that was so long ago it's possibly I just went throught the trouble of resetting them or something. I dont remember what exactly I did back then, I assume it was the itunes backup or something?

It just downloads from iCloud, it’s almost a perfect copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In my recent XR to 14 upgrade, the only app that kept it's credentials data was office, the rest (awful included) required me to re-enter the password. It's about thirty mins for your average set of apps plus banks&authenticator apps.