Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Steve Zahn looks like uncannily like Shea Wig in a lot of shots, which is weird given how Shea is technically in this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ohh yeah I kinda forgot about him. Curious to see how he ties back in - I gotta assume he's more integral to Judy's affair than the Peter/May-May plot

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really think this may end up being the best season yet. That last episode really hit for me because in 2000 I would have been Judy's age, and I still remember that era vividly.

I think one of my favorite things they did was after Judy's hair was cut, they make it seem like the 80s/90s movie trope of a girl breaking down in anguish was about to happen. Then only to remind us all that no, Judy is absolutely on demon time and will cut a bitch.

This may have ended up being the hardest I've laughed over this show to date.

I also adored the kids living out what would have been my own fantasy of that era - owning a monster truck and destroying a bunch of poo poo.

The *only* semi-gripe I had with the latest episode was the de-aging on Eli. Mainly because in my head, my favorite movie of all-time Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, came out in 2000. Goodman played Big Dan Teague the bible salesman in it, so I remember exactly how his voice sounded back then. He was in his late-40s back then, and would have been 70 at the time the season was shot. So hearing today's Goodman over a likeness of himself when we would have been 48-50ish was a little weird. Not a deal breaker, I just had to consciously try and ignore it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I can't put my finger on why, but this is absolutely one of the funnest bits they've done in the show.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jesse always had a knack for the flair even in his youth.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Doronin posted:

The *only* semi-gripe I had with the latest episode was the de-aging on Eli. Mainly because in my head, my favorite movie of all-time Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, came out in 2000. Goodman played Big Dan Teague the bible salesman in it, so I remember exactly how his voice sounded back then. He was in his late-40s back then, and would have been 70 at the time the season was shot. So hearing today's Goodman over a likeness of himself when we would have been 48-50ish was a little weird. Not a deal breaker, I just had to consciously try and ignore it.

Yeah, Goodman's age is really starting to show. :smith: The first two interludes weren't quite so jarring despite ostensibly being a bigger de-aging jump but it's getting harder for him to project his younger self.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think he's just doing a voice for the show. Here's a clip of him on the Today show from a few years ago where you can compare his Eli voice to his normal voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlvJKlTWCmE

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yeah, how did he sound on that Roseanne reboot/sequel? I know he's old, but I assumed a bit of the "exhausted old Southern pawpaw" voice was just something he did to play Eli. :ohdear:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Could be worse. Could be Marge Simpson, who sounds like she smokes more than Patty and Selma.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I think he's just doing a voice for the show. Here's a clip of him on the Today show from a few years ago where you can compare his Eli voice to his normal voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlvJKlTWCmE

Lol at the host saying "it's not a comedy"

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can't put my finger on why, but this is absolutely one of the funnest bits they've done in the show.

it's brilliant, but i don't think anything will beat when uncle baby billy flips the elixirs all over the road then abandons his car. i crack up every single time i watch it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

it's brilliant, but i don't think anything will beat when uncle baby billy flips the elixirs all over the road then abandons his car. i crack up every single time i watch it.

The way BJ softly says "The elixirs..." :lmao:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6IRIaFiiIQ&t=9s

had to go watch it again lol

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Here's one of my favorite monologues. Pitter patter of your filthy rear end feet.

https://youtu.be/bcL9SZvkNFw

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

resting mitch face posted:

The 90s flashback scenes... the attention to detail is impeccable. I’m specifically talking about those hideous mens’ color-block polos and knit sweaters. Ugh and the burgundy/hunter green southern living decor, obnoxious window treatments, patterns and ruffled skirts on everything. I could almost smell the simmering potpourri.

I know I mentioned the flashbacks already but damnit they nailed it again with y2k. Special shoutout to Jesse’s FUBU jacket. Also the First Union bank at the end was a reminder that I’m old as hell. Thanks.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Maybe in my top 10 scenes of any comedy. I really couldn't breathe for a moment.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
holy poo poo what an episode. John Goodman just completely losing it at the hologram hit hard.

And that ending with the fight? good poo poo and bravo for extended shots of male full frontal nudity.

"I hope you like me now" what a perfect way to end that episode.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just hope bj didn't go too far

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I only have one word for this episode

Woo!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I was glad to see Judy take a chop to the neck. All she does is run her mouth and gently caress things up and there never seems to be any real consequences for her actions.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

That’s a whole lotta dick

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I onew there would be a cameo when they mentioned it earlier in the episode but the DMXpart had me howling

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
lol at Stephen singing along while he masturbates

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Woo

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

sticksy posted:

I onew there would be a cameo when they mentioned it earlier in the episode but the DMXpart had me howling

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Kev and Keef are intriguing. After last season and the manly men, they both seem to have regressed.

This episode also proves what we’ve been seeing, that K&K were put in youth ministry because they were the youngest and the youngest’s life mate. Taryn is effortlessly better than them, at matching the energy of the kids, and seems to hold no resentment over her position.

It’s fun to see Jesse’s gang back around. All through season one they were trying to cover up adultery*, and Jesse is completely over treating Amber with respect. Then again, he knows it’s bullshit, he got away with his bad behavior without having to grow.

Edit: There’s also a motif this season of violence and humiliation. In the interlude, at the Pickleball court, at the Cape and Pistol, in the parking lot in episode one, even at the resort. Maybe it’s always been there but it seems like every episode has some.

*I think if there’s one exchange that could sum up the entire show, it’d be “I wish I had someone who loved me enough to be disappointed that I did bad things. / YOU DO! His name is Jesus Christ!”

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 17, 2023

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

ChesterJT posted:

I was glad to see Judy take a chop to the neck. All she does is run her mouth and gently caress things up and there never seems to be any real consequences for her actions.

I just about die laughing every time May May lands a judo chop to Judy's larynx.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Tristesse posted:

I just about die laughing every time May May lands a judo chop to Judy's larynx.

It'd be a shame if it ruined her singing voice.

Overall good episode, looking forward to more chaos.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So, was this a confirmation that Kelvin and Keefe HAD been sleeping together? I always thought their relationship was just two gay dudes who obviously loved each other but were too repressed to do anything about it. But when Keefe was complaining that Taryn had replaced him, he specifically asked if they had been physical together. So maybe they weren't so repressed after all?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

They were tumbling together! They were doing physical things that increased their heart rate! It doesn’t get much more physical than that. They’ll probably be working out together soon, maybe even in their off-time.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Golden Bee posted:

Could be worse. Could be Marge Simpson, who sounds like she smokes more than Patty and Selma.

Haven’t seen a new simpsons in ages—do they still smoke like chimneys? Bit of a faux pas on television these days

Yes. I am in flavor country.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit, there's very little that shocks me nowadays but showing a naked man jacking it (even with some obscuring angles) was not something I expected, nor the fully erect fight scene that followed.

drat good episode. And apparently that Judy song at the end is an original?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you might just be imagining that he was fully erect when they were fighting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

I think you might just be imagining that he was fully erect when they were fighting.

Idk his bird looked pretty huge to me, well over three inches

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Good hog

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Probably not fully erect the whole time, sure, but more erect than one usually sees even on cable.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
he was fluffed but not erect after the first punch

https://i.imgur.com/KVVLbqa.gifv

also I hope BJ didnt kill him and the neighbors all assume gay lovers quarrel

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/nOukhQA.gifv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was worried about the brass knuckles and how BJ could get in trouble for them. But that seems to have resolved itself with Stephen taking them and beating BJ. This could have gone down much worse but everything Stephen did allows BJ to spin it in his favor. The original plan was for BJ to just go confront Stephen, punch him with the brass knuckles, say a dumb line, and then peace out I guess. But now we have Stephen sending that message asking for Judy to come over. So BJ has a reason to go confront him. Then he have Stephen taking the brass knuckles, beating BJ with them, throwing BJ around his house, and dragging him into public to continue beating him. Then BJ gets the upper hand. From what those people outside saw, they see BJ put his bloody hand up on the window looking for help, then being dragged out into the yard, then defending himself from Stephen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
BJ’s velour/velvet blading getup was perfect.