Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I played some Jagged Alliance. Man. If I was a video essayist I would absolutely make one using this game as an example.

The game is fun. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10 if that was the only factor.

Smaller quibbles are that the interface is a bit clunky, it's a bit crashy, and the mercenaries are very annoying. Remember how they were stereotypes in Jagged Alliance? Now imagine if those concepts were written by a 12 year old brought up on Marvel movies. They talk constantly and are never funny.

But the big thing. Oooh boy.

Remember how in JA2 you were hired by the deposed leader of a nation, and were fighting that nation's army?

Yeah. Here your client is ostensibly the daughter of a kidnapped president, but that's not actually true. She is not the one paying you. You are in fact hired by a mining company to reclaim their diamond mines. A mining company ran by someone who seems Spanish at first glance.

Not black. The country is very black. A former French colony. Every single enemy is black. Every single one. Whereas in JA2 your enemies were an army, with enemy types such as "recruit", "regular", "veteran" and "elite", here you are facing "goon", "marauder", "brute", "raid leader". Where in JA2 they wore uniforms, here they wear stereotypical "tribal" warpaint, headdresses (which count as armour, somehow), and leopard skins.

You are, of course, almost only white people. There are a few token non-white mercenaries. The only black mercenary I hired so far makes frequent references to crack pipes. The only Chinese mercenary is a doctor, but he does martial arts, wears a Tang jacket, is into spirits, and constantly spouts fortune cookie wisdom.

It's OK though, because the game opens with a "just don't get offended bro" graphic.

I think we should consider not allowing Swedish people to make games anymore.

It's a pain because the game is fun overall. I really wish someone would take the core structure of Jagged Alliance and make it about a people's revolution, rather than capitalist resource extraction. But I guess that would be Political in the way mowing down shirtless Goons and Marauders decked out in face paint isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Where in JA2 they wore uniforms, here they wear stereotypical "tribal" warpaint, headdresses (which count as armour, somehow), and leopard skins.

You are, of course, almost only white people. There are a few token non-white mercenaries. The only black mercenary I hired so far makes frequent references to crack pipes. The only Chinese mercenary is a doctor, but he does martial arts, wears a Tang jacket, is into spirits, and constantly spouts fortune cookie wisdom.

It's OK though, because the game opens with a "just don't get offended bro" graphic.

Lmao holy poo poo god:drat:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The only black mercenary I hired so far makes frequent references to crack pipes. The only Chinese mercenary is a doctor, but he does martial arts, wears a Tang jacket, is into spirits, and constantly spouts fortune cookie wisdom.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kazzah posted:

I think you put the charisma chit in the wrong place

That was the spot for his advantage, it got a minute 2 on my promotion roll

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I played some Jagged Alliance. Man. If I was a video essayist I would absolutely make one using this game as an example.

The game is fun. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10 if that was the only factor.

Smaller quibbles are that the interface is a bit clunky, it's a bit crashy, and the mercenaries are very annoying. Remember how they were stereotypes in Jagged Alliance? Now imagine if those concepts were written by a 12 year old brought up on Marvel movies. They talk constantly and are never funny.

But the big thing. Oooh boy.

Remember how in JA2 you were hired by the deposed leader of a nation, and were fighting that nation's army?

Yeah. Here your client is ostensibly the daughter of a kidnapped president, but that's not actually true. She is not the one paying you. You are in fact hired by a mining company to reclaim their diamond mines. A mining company ran by someone who seems Spanish at first glance.

Not black. The country is very black. A former French colony. Every single enemy is black. Every single one. Whereas in JA2 your enemies were an army, with enemy types such as "recruit", "regular", "veteran" and "elite", here you are facing "goon", "marauder", "brute", "raid leader". Where in JA2 they wore uniforms, here they wear stereotypical "tribal" warpaint, headdresses (which count as armour, somehow), and leopard skins.

I think we should consider not allowing Swedish people to make games anymore.

It's a pain because the game is fun overall. I really wish someone would take the core structure of Jagged Alliance and make it about a people's revolution, rather than capitalist resource extraction. But I guess that would be Political in the way mowing down shirtless Goons and Marauders decked out in face paint isn't.

sounds rather problematic if you ask me

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

KomradeX posted:

That was the spot for his advantage, it got a minute 2 on my promotion roll

Oh yah, I just thought the angle of the mouth meant it would fit over the blank face perfectly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more like... Red-Brown Alliance 3

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
There are references to communists also being rebels. I'm looking forward to meeting them and seeing that, presumably, they are bad.

Also the country is called Grand Chien. Which means... tall dog?

Oh and there's a town called Fleatown.

Edit:
Correction. Devs are Bulgarian, not Swedish. They are just published by THQ Nordic.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Jul 17, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol i just bought ja3 but hadnt played it yet... wowie zowie

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

would it be moddable to create a tankie conversion mod?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

I played Beneath the Med today, was eventually sunk off the coast of Egypt in March of 1942 after becoming very decorated officer

I'm so glad I met someone else who plays Beneath the Med. I love it.

It's hard to find books in Inglese about the Regia Marina's submarine arm, and I think that's a shame.

e: Oh man! I was looking forward to Jagged Alliance 3. Is it a good game though? I'd watch the video essay, and yeah the politics are... well gently caress, but I was really hoping to see that style of game again.

"Remember how they were stereotypes in Jagged Alliance? Now imagine if those concepts were written by a 12 year old brought up on Marvel movies. They talk constantly and are never funny."

gently caress.

ee: Their dev diaries were about how they sent the team to Africa to do research! Apparently they had thousands of reference photos of people, places, did all sorts of reading on contemporary Africa, lol and from what you're describing they might as well have just based it off TinTin comics.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Jul 17, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the gameplay loop for JA3 is quite good. the politics suck but I don't think I'm going to stop playing it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
eurojank is going to hit differently now they've become political again

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hmm...

THQ posted:

The country of Grand Chien

The wide Adjani river is flowing through barrens, jungles, marshes, savanna and slums. It is a country where ancient traditions are tangled with the somewhat more modern way of life, landmarks from times immemorial lay side by side with gaudy statues and wild gangs fight over the hastily dug diamond quarries.

The names of people and places reflect the turbulent colonial history of the country. Although there are settlements with names that indicate their German origin - such as Landsbach and the ill-fated Wassergrab, - the most of the Adjani province is speaking French. That’s why at the foot of the Gargantuan mountains lies the small city of Pantagruel, and the map is dotted by Legion military camps with names like Camp Savane, Camp du Crocodile, Camp Chien Sauvage, etc.

And since the name of the country itself has already raised some eyebrows, let me present to you the imposing, if not aesthetically pleasing, statue of its founder - the benevolent dictator Généralissime Chien.

Some of your mercenaries may express their confusion as to which of the two is the actual Generalissimus, but like I said, Grand Chien is a crazy place. Some mercs fit in naturally, others just try their best.

As for the people of Grand Chien, there is no wonder that they do strange things while trying somehow to make a living. We refrained from going into mysticism, but we can’t promise that our characters don’t believe in weird stuff and act accordingly. So if they tell you there is a ghost in the abandoned mansion, or a witch is performing bizarre sexual rituals to the poor mine workers, just take it with a grain of salt, will you?

While building the world of Jagged Alliance 3, we aimed to deliver a realistic experience - and generally avoid fiction. However, time and again we had to go back to the confines of Mark Twain’s famous quote: “Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.”

With regards to good old Mr. Twain, at times we allowed ourselves a bit of fun.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
just wait until you meet the italian guy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
gently caress that euro "we did racism but we did it smartly and it's so funny" smug rear end tone

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

THQ posted:

Throughout the pre-production phase, the game underwent multiple iterations until the visuals finally encapsulated the initial design concept we were striving for.

At one point, we experimented with a "dirty-gray" military aesthetic, but soon realized that something was missing from that picture, making the game look too generic. Thus, our search continued until one day something interesting happened, shaping all of our subsequent decisions.

We went back and took another look at the design documentation, which encompassed a vast amount of information about the world, and an idea sparked: What if we make the country of Grand Chien and, more importantly, the continent of Africa at the heart of our art vision, rather than the other way around?

This simple yet effective idea changed our thinking and the process led us to the concept of “contrast” or what we ended up calling it - “Wet and Dry”, those two words encapsulate the breadth of what the continent of Africa can offer and thus make it the central character in the stage of “art”.

Now we had the opportunity to explore the vast array of breathtaking locations, each boasting its own distinctive weather patterns, allowing players to immerse themselves in the continent’s remarkable richness. From the always wet muddy jungles filled with mosquitos to the dry savannas or scorching hot wastelands. Furthermore, many of these elements would have a significant impact on gameplay, thereby influencing your decisions as a player.

We've even taken into account minute details such as the presence of puddles in jungle areas and their potential impact on the effectiveness of your fire bombs.

Key features such as dynamic movement, exaggerated weather, strong lighting and cinematic-style color grading all played a role in pushing the world of Grand Chien and achieving this distinctive art style. Additionally, the ever present signs of entropy that can be seen in all human made everyday objects added a unique depth to the world.

Entropy

One last part that I want to mention is the “entropy” factor in all of our designs for world objects. Due to its turbulent past the country of Grand Chien and its people do not have access to new goods which forces them to improvise and repair what they already have and with time this will show.

A special attention was paid to this aspect for each and every asset we’ve created, ensuring that it aligns with the general idea about the world we are trying to build.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

just wait until you meet the italian guy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
now i'm pissed off at the game it's time to actually play it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think Far Cry 2 actually did a pretty good job at parts of this, while still being a retelling of Heart of Darkness in video game form.

Of course, the important thing about Heart of Darkness is that the real savages, monsters in the shape of men, that cause the ruination and evil encountered moving deeper into the interior are the Europeans. Somehow that's gotten lost eh?

THQ posted:

The Location
Jagged Alliance 3 is set in a country with a colonial past and leftover fortifications from WW2. It made sense to have old German weapons like Gewher 98s, MP40s, MG42s around (sometimes is atrocious shape) and being used by local combatants.

War zones, especially ones with conflict resources like oil or - you know – diamonds, tend to attract all kinds of arms that can be sold on the grey and black markets. Africa has seen its number of FN FALs cross many shady borders. But it’s not impossible to see something more exotic like a contraband G36.

So they did research, but then uh I guess decided on a certain art direction.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Jul 17, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I think Far Cry 2 actually did a pretty good job at parts of this, while still being a retelling of Heart of Darkness in video game form.

Of course, the important thing about Heart of Darkness is that the real savages, monsters in the shape of men, that cause the ruination and evil encountered moving deeper into the interior are the Europeans. Somehow that's gotten lost eh?

So they did research, but then uh I guess decided on a certain art direction.

lol at western weapons being rare in the age of the US getting ran out of Afghanistan and having to leave all their poo poo behind

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol at western weapons being rare in the age of the US getting ran out of Afghanistan and having to leave all their poo poo behind

It's set in the early 2000's, though that's when western Cold War inventories were being dumped into African civil wars, so your point stands.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm predicting a field of academia a few decades after the collapse of American empire studying how many racist stereotypes were native to europe and how many were imported from US plantation slaver culture.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

double nine posted:

Technically, probably, the game does seem set up for mods.

But it would be a total conversion. You would need to change:
-the story
-the mercenaries, though you could probably get away with just cutting the shittiest lines and not replacing them, and adjust skills to not be stereotypes
-the enemies, which would require new models
-voice acting if you wanted to have any, but I guess you could get by with text

But yeah the gameplay systems are solid. It's a very fun game. In a way that makes it a bigger shame than if it sucked overall.

It's so interesting how no one, that I know of, has ever attempted to do a commie revolution game in this vein. I mean, even from the cynical perspective, if you cared about profit more than about your ideology - Che t-shirts are famously popular!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

double nine posted:

someone needs to make it about the Cuban intervention in Angola

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Wasn't that way out of scope? They sent tanks and all.

Meanwhile Cuba was overthrown with 14 people.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Technically, probably, the game does seem set up for mods.

But it would be a total conversion. You would need to change:
-the story
-the mercenaries, though you could probably get away with just cutting the shittiest lines and not replacing them, and adjust skills to not be stereotypes
-the enemies, which would require new models
-voice acting if you wanted to have any, but I guess you could get by with text

But yeah the gameplay systems are solid. It's a very fun game. In a way that makes it a bigger shame than if it sucked overall.

It's so interesting how no one, that I know of, has ever attempted to do a commie revolution game in this vein. I mean, even from the cynical perspective, if you cared about profit more than about your ideology - Che t-shirts are famously popular!

I would love this. Workshop support and modding tools when?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The game already has a mod manager out of the gate. The devs released a "show chance to hit" mod as a demonstration.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Every game nowadays comes out with high-class graphics, possibly interesting mechanics, and the worst dialogue ever written

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

why that's the same publisher that did the infamous 8chan ama, how peculiar :thunk:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Every game nowadays comes out with high-class graphics, possibly interesting mechanics, and the worst dialogue ever written

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
fox ftw

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

This was good lol

It's one of the better lines so that might say something about JA3's quality. I don't think the dialogue is that bad though. It's cheesy but xcom-ish games don't need dialogue to be good and I don't find it too intrusive that you can't ignore it even if you hate it. It's certainly less obnoxious than bad writing in bad FPS or RPG games anyway

Re the politics I am waiting to see if there will be an 'are we the baddies?' moment for being western mercenaries going around exploiting diamonds from a poor ex colonial African country, and there have been flags right from the start that the diamond corp might be evil. Not holding my breath though

ModernMajorGeneral has issued a correction as of 04:26 on Jul 18, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm so glad I met someone else who plays Beneath the Med. I love it.

It's hard to find books in Inglese about the Regia Marina's submarine arm, and I think that's a shame.

e: Oh man! I was looking forward to Jagged Alliance 3. Is it a good game though? I'd watch the video essay, and yeah the politics are... well gently caress, but I was really hoping to see that style of game again.

"Remember how they were stereotypes in Jagged Alliance? Now imagine if those concepts were written by a 12 year old brought up on Marvel movies. They talk constantly and are never funny."

gently caress.

ee: Their dev diaries were about how they sent the team to Africa to do research! Apparently they had thousands of reference photos of people, places, did all sorts of reading on contemporary Africa, lol and from what you're describing they might as well have just based it off TinTin comics.

It was fun, now the only one I haven't played is the Hunted. But I might do a round of The Hunters first before moving onto that.

This is the only thing I know about JA3

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I just picked up Xenonauts 2, hope to play enough to write a little review before the weekend starts
https://store.steampowered.com/app/538030/Xenonauts_2/

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Re the politics I am waiting to see if there will be an 'are we the baddies?' moment for being western mercenaries going around exploiting diamonds from a poor ex colonial African country, and there have been flags right from the start that the diamond corp might be evil. Not holding my breath though

There's hasn't been a big moment, but the game shows the Adonis Corp is bad and will let people die and suffer for money. Adonis Corp is also named like an evil corporation, so I'm thinking this game will have them be evil since it is inspired by 80s action movies.

I'm a big idiot though and I love Jagged Alliance so you might not want to take it from me. I didn't even realize having black people wear tribal masks was racist; I just thought that the main bad guy likes to have his army wear masks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fermun posted:

I just picked up Xenonauts 2, hope to play enough to write a little review before the weekend starts
https://store.steampowered.com/app/538030/Xenonauts_2/

please do! the release discount is going to be on for another week, so there's some time for word-of-mouth to get around before it expires

JA3 and Xeninauts 2 in the span of a week

blessed month for tactical games

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
my initial impression is that its harder than the first xenonauts. money's tight, soldiers die real easy, i think easier, tanks are expensive and die really easy. but a base in the middle east seems to be able to keep the soviet union, the EU, and africa pretty happy. xenonauts is a universe where aliens infiltrate governments starting in the 1980s to keep the cold war going and on the brink of nuclear war and xenonauts 2 is continuing that during a crisis period in 2009. i'm actually considering turning the difficulty down to the easiest difficulty level to re-acquaint myself with this sort of game because i can't really tell right now if it's just super hard or if i just super suck. also you can have initial soldiers that just were a bad roll and they are bad.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the engineer was better in 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
My one wish with Xenonauts is for it not to look so drab. Memory might be playing tricks on me, but I remember the original X-Coms as having a fairly vibrant colour palette and not just greys in blacks and browns like Xenonauts does.