Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
So yeah, immediately dived back hard into Boneraiser. :v:

Was worried that I wasn't quite getting it, but increased metaprogression and understanding what's going on (thanks Doomykins) have done wonders:

Finally managed to get a clear, and nearly lapped it too, although the final boss exploded my health a little too fast the second time around to handle. Nevertheless, looking forward to going full completionist on this one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My only issue with completionism in Boneraiser is that I feel like the game is not super eager to help you figure out what you're missing and what's still there to be found. There's the evolution guide, but for example the demon slot on the guide covers several summons. I wish there was an easy to read "here are the things you're missing and here is how to get them" function.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is Holocure good if you don't give a crap about the vtuber stuff at all? Can I just zone out past the anime and get a good VS game?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hey, Halls of Torment. What's this thing?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Is Holocure good if you don't give a crap about the vtuber stuff at all? Can I just zone out past the anime and get a good VS game?

It's better than 90% of the other VS games out there. Not getting the references doesn't change anything about that. Even the first release was way to good for a free game and it has only gotten better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

i'm too old to understand vtube, and pretty much every ability and weapon is based on some inscrutable vtuber injoke. fortunately, you can ignore all of that. the mechanical side stands on its own.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

everything being a vtuber injoke turned me off from the game, honestly.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm not sure, you follow the blood trail to get to the note and the other piece but I've never noticed them doing anything

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

It makes it a lot easier to kill the end boss of the stage

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

It makes it a lot easier to kill the end boss of the stage

Thank you!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Chin Strap posted:

It's a good game, but also you may care about what sort :

It's not quite like VS, some weapons attack your facing direction but there's a "strafe" button to lock your facing direction. It's both fun and annoying to use.
Metaprogression-wise, it's very like VS in that in some ways it's easy but it can also be quite grindy if you want / need it to be.
There are certain things you'll probably need to wiki, since weapon combos and certain perks/mechanics are based on in-jokes and aren't at all clear in many cases.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lol rogue genesia

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

K8.0 posted:

It's a good game, but also you may care about what sort :

It's not quite like VS, some weapons attack your facing direction but there's a "strafe" button to lock your facing direction. It's both fun and annoying to use.

The strafe mechanic is still in for full keyboard players, but the currently available patch has mouse aim.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Chin Strap posted:

Stay far away

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Chin Strap posted:

It’s excellent. I know Jack poo poo about vtubers but I DO have an extremely high anime tolerance so

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I have no idea how knowing that an item is an injoke you don't understand could be some huge deal that makes you not want to play the game tbh.

e: everything in VS proper is some italian word pun/joke and I only know this cuz my italian friend told me...didn't make the game somehow worse

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only thing that is too much is how some of the weapons vary based on breast size. that sure is a choice they made.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:yikes:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the only thing that is too much is how some of the weapons vary based on breast size. that sure is a choice they made.

it's one weapon and it doesn't so much vary as 3 characters get a barely perceptible aoe bonus to it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

dis astranagant posted:

it's one weapon and it doesn't so much vary as 3 characters get a barely perceptible aoe bonus to it.

There's two. There's the cutting board which, as you said, gets a 30% or so size increase when used by one of the 'flat' characters, but there's also the bounce ball, whose projectiles correspond to how busty the character using it it- bustier characters get bigger projectiles.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Red Minjo posted:

The strafe mechanic is still in for full keyboard players, but the currently available patch has mouse aim.

Also gamepad support if you want a Smash TV-style control scheme.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The thing about Holocure I love most is that each character has unique active and passive skills that let you adjust how you play them. Some characters play tanky with tanky accessories, some characters are dodge-based, some have their damage loaded onto their actives, etc. etc. And some characters are flexible and can be built in different ways.

I'm aware that a lot of VS-likes do have multiple characters with some differences but I feel like Holocure is the best about letting you feel the difference right off the bat. Endgame builds will fundamentally be different for every character if only because they each have different skills. Like I love Rogue Genesia and played it a fuckton but by the end I was pretty much building the same thing every run whether it was with Shopkeeper or the Basic ROG or whatever.

It also feels a lot less grindy than a lot of other VS-likes in terms of unlocking things - despite the hours I put into Rogue Genesia I'm still not done getting EXP for all the talents or whatever, and I gave up on Soulstone Survivors cause I got tired of trying to get every character to hit level 75 or whatever to unlock their skills. Meanwhile with Holocure all you really need is IRyS and the Greed Stamp and bam, instant gold.

Can't wait for the new patch - I'm holding off on playing the game right now until it updates.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have no idea how knowing that an item is an injoke you don't understand could be some huge deal that makes you not want to play the game tbh.

e: everything in VS proper is some italian word pun/joke and I only know this cuz my italian friend told me...didn't make the game somehow worse

Goons are old

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

lmao

wanted to edit some content in: it looks like a fun game but i never purchased it because it's a bunch of weird little anime girls. i didn't know about the vtuber thing, i don't know what vtube is but that also turns me off somehow. i like the VS italian cheese thing because of how stupid it is, honestly. but it's a joke anyone can get if they want or completely ignore. hard to ignore that the player character is a bug eyed anime girl.

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 17, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Holocure is also free to try so make your own call. :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My enjoyment of VS improved further when I learned what the Merchant guy's name meant.

Hell Yeah posted:

hard to ignore that the player character is a bug eyed anime girl.

I've got really bad news for you about VS...

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i havent played vs since i got all the achievements and put it in the completed pile months ago, but somehow i doubt all the playable characters became bug-eyed anime girls. and no i am NOT googling vampire survivors anime girls

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Saoshyant posted:

even trying some of the enemy power ups to see if the extra resources from more enemies helped.

You should definitely have a lot of enemy powerups - other mastery will come with time and experience, but the enemy upgrades are their for your benefit, not as a difficulty system. More waves means more everything - gold, experience, and relic drops.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The joke is that Castlevania is pretty anime for the most recent 2/3 of its franchise life. The VS sprites aren't detailed enough for it but... also the entire first expac.

A Vidya fan declaring that anime is a deal breaker is a sensible chuckle to me is all.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

ok this discussion feels like a trap but there's a huge difference between castlevania references and big titty anime little girls. come on man

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What's the easiest way to unlock Brotato Jack?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Devorum posted:

What's the easiest way to unlock Brotato Jack?

That requires killing an elite in under 30 seconds, doesn't it? You'll need to go all in on damage and hope not to get one of the 1.0 elites. It's also much harder to do now because elite HP has been jacked up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Reduce enemy HP to 10% in accesibility options, that's how I did it

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Specifically for Jack unlock you want to use one of the powerful Brotatoes with a free damage passive. Knight, Gladiator, Bull, Cyborg, Loud, Crazy, Masochist, etc. Wildling can work if you go for the earliest elite possible with full stick 2s and attack speed. I prefer melee because it's easier to deal with crowds in most cases and you can control your target by being adjacent to it.

Hell Yeah posted:

ok this discussion feels like a trap but there's a huge difference between castlevania references and big titty anime little girls. come on man

I agree, I'm ribbing you. I just think Holocure is good. Though

And the original VS "cover" art is the mage girl rear end first in a Bayonetta spoof, so really it's all anime adjacent.

Azran posted:

Reduce enemy HP to 10% in accesibility options, that's how I did it

WHAT

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 17, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Have devs said if Holocure will be steam Deck compatible day 1 of steam store?

Main reason I haven't tried it yet is I don't feel like manually installing it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I saw recently that one of the earliest VS clones, "Spirithunters Infinite horde" hit 1.0. I had bought it on a whim in early access and shelved it. Sadly it kinda sucks.
Very bad hitboxes, annoying levels with little room to maneuver and many obstacles and projectile spam with almost no good way to avoid them in the higher difficulties. Enemies are also just flat sprites with no animation to them, when bosses die they simply fade out with no fanfare.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Hell Yeah posted:

It's always a trap, but looking at it on the steam page it seems to be not even that sort of thing. It does seem like you need to be down with a particular internet subculture as an entry fee so if you're not... welp. Plenty of other good games in the genre to play.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Castlevania isn't anime? Excuse me, have you seen some of Dracula's and Alucard's art from the older games?

This vamp is bishie AF. Big anime pretty boy energy. I'm not even a particularly huge fan of anime myself but knocking something for being too anime and then saying Castlevania isn't anime in the slightest is p lol.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Evil Kit posted:

Castlevania isn't anime? Excuse me, have you seen some of Dracula's and Alucard's art from the older games?

This vamp is bishie AF. Big anime pretty boy energy. I'm not even a particularly huge fan of anime myself but knocking something for being too anime and then saying Castlevania isn't anime in the slightest is p lol.

can't believe you're arguing for castlevania being anime with kojima art and not rondo of blood maria

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"It's all anime!?"

raises revolver "Always has been."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

neongrey posted:

can't believe you're arguing for castlevania being anime with kojima art and not rondo of blood maria

A casual Google on my phone has betrayed me, what can I say (I do not remember the various entry names tbh)

But yeah, Castlevania is anime AF.