Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I miss the old babylon 5 miniatures game. A friend had nearly a complete set of them, and I played it with him a number of times in the mid 2000s. Complex as hell, but every faction felt unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

For an illustration of what I mean, have a look at one of these and see what a ctrl+f for the name of the worst person you can think of gets you:

No ships named after Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk or Vince McMahon. :colbert:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

mllaneza posted:

SFB is a surprisingly fun game once you know the core rules. It has some fantastic tactical depth, you're making fun decisions constantly. The rules also have a unique level of clarity. They've been picking over everything for decades, and there is no ambiguity in anything. That's why the rulebook is so long, every edge case is covered.

I'm not recommending you get into the game, but if you know people who play maybe give it a shot.

Don’t get me wrong, if someone said “hey, want to learn and play Star Fleet Battles with me?” I’d be like “You are god drat right my dumb rear end does!”

I have lived in a relative gaming desert since college.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Which Trek show name-dropped him recently, in the context of our era's greatest minds?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

AndyElusive posted:

No ships named after Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk or Vince McMahon. :colbert:

...my bad for expecting people to look for one of the war criminals first I suppose :v:

Though - you checked for that lot, but missed Trump being on it?

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

moths posted:

Which Trek show name-dropped him recently, in the context of our era's greatest minds?

Discovery

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

God that was terrible. Everything about Discovery is terrible, except when they had Anson amount on for the back door pilot and he was immediately the best thing about the show.

I should really watch New Worlds.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

I remember those dark days. Take 3 of something and now it gets full re-rolls. Buy more stuff!

but enough about fire prisms

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

chin up everything sucks posted:

I miss the old babylon 5 miniatures game. A friend had nearly a complete set of them, and I played it with him a number of times in the mid 2000s. Complex as hell, but every faction felt unique.

Characters or ships?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mountainside Tabletop's KT videos are pretty good but I think it's kinda funny how during team intros when they do the bit where the guy with the other team says "the thing I'm really concerned about on my opponent's team is..." 4/5 times the blank is filled in with "their plasma weapon or non-Imperium equivalent."

Plasma strong.

I also have watched 2 Casual. They have solid production values, if they tend to visibly look at cue cards they're reading. They also seem to get rules wrong pretty often and maybe aren't so good at the game but they look like they're having fun with it and I agree with that.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Has anyone got a good video that covers the basics of how to play KT? The MT guys are great but they assume that you have advanced knowledge about the game plays etc.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

moths posted:

I haven't seen it, but I think the character on Discovery who said it was from the Mirror Universe so maybe at least it's only the bad future that reveres him?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I haven't seen it, but I think the character on Discovery who said it was from the Mirror Universe so maybe at least it's only the bad future that reveres him?

That's true, but it's really an after-the-fact justification: when it came out, it was pretty clear that the writers meant it sincerely. It was all riiiiiight before Musk's long fall from grace and we all learned just how dumb and bad he is.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

FishFood posted:

That's true, but it's really an after-the-fact justification: when it came out, it was pretty clear that the writers meant it sincerely. It was all riiiiiight before Musk's long fall from grace and we all learned just how dumb and bad he is.

iirc it was adlibbed and the actor was seeing if he could get elmo to send him a tesla.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Atlas Hugged posted:

If it's Mirror Universe Musk that's the actual genius, then that's a pretty sweet burn.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

notaspy posted:

Has anyone got a good video that covers the basics of how to play KT? The MT guys are great but they assume that you have advanced knowledge about the game plays etc.

Interested in this too

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

God that was terrible. Everything about Discovery is terrible, except when they had Anson amount on for the back door pilot and he was immediately the best thing about the show.

I should really watch New Worlds.

S2E4 was genuinely very good

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

Characters or ships?

Ships, I should have specified

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I feel I have completely detached myself from needing specific miniatures for particular rulesets, or even scales - I play Pikeman's Lament which is ostensibly a 28mm skirmish game using regimental based 10mm figures, I've used 20mm Wehrmacht as Adeptus Mechanicus against a force of RT marines, and most recently I've started to put together an 8-10mm army of Tyranids. I was planning to use the Net:Epic rules for these figures, but I've come around more and more to simply using OnePageRules Grimdark Future, with the same base counts, but multiple figures per base. With the use of Extra Actions (overwatch, focused fire, hunker down) Suppression (i.e. blast markers) and Solid Buildings (buildings can be occupied) it feels like it's very bloody close to what I want out of an Epic wargame.

Can someone please explain to me what the value proposition of NetEpic Armageddon is, over it? I understand they have different technical implementations of their mechanics - sequence of play is randomised in Epic through strategy roles and is deterministic in GF by unit count, but both are alternating activation games. What is the big thing that Epic does that I can't do in GF? I ask because I keep referencing my choices in GF to NetEpic-legal formations, but I'm not sure in retrospect why I would ever actually play it. This is a genuine question and request, I'm not trolling!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I feel I have completely detached myself from needing specific miniatures for particular rulesets, or even scales - I play Pikeman's Lament which is ostensibly a 28mm skirmish game using regimental based 10mm figures, I've used 20mm Wehrmacht as Adeptus Mechanicus against a force of RT marines, and most recently I've started to put together an 8-10mm army of Tyranids. I was planning to use the Net:Epic rules for these figures, but I've come around more and more to simply using OnePageRules Grimdark Future, with the same base counts, but multiple figures per base. With the use of Extra Actions (overwatch, focused fire, hunker down) Suppression (i.e. blast markers) and Solid Buildings (buildings can be occupied) it feels like it's very bloody close to what I want out of an Epic wargame.

Can someone please explain to me what the value proposition of NetEpic Armageddon is, over it? I understand they have different technical implementations of their mechanics - sequence of play is randomised in Epic through strategy roles and is deterministic in GF by unit count, but both are alternating activation games. What is the big thing that Epic does that I can't do in GF? I ask because I keep referencing my choices in GF to NetEpic-legal formations, but I'm not sure in retrospect why I would ever actually play it. This is a genuine question and request, I'm not trolling!

I can't speak to Grimdark Future, never heard of it, but a huge plus for NetEA is that people play it. I've been pretty heavily involved in the epic scene and haven't come across this other rule set. Plus, the new edition of epic's lack of Xenos even seems to be driving some new players to the older edition. All things equal I'd say play whatever game you want to, but I'd see what people in your area play and go with that. I'd rather just play games than try to convince people to play my game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Virtual Russian posted:

All things equal I'd say play whatever game you want to, but I'd see what people in your area play and go with that. I'd rather just play games than try to convince people to play my game.

It's always this unless you happen to be a personal dynamo of charisma also with the time to build a community.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It's always this unless you happen to be a personal dynamo of charisma also with the time to build a community.

Yeah I'm trying that second option out with Epic right now. Yeesh, do you ever need to do stuff and have tons of free time. Don't do it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well that's pretty easy for me as I don't have a community near me at all: I'm doing this like a historical game where I'm expecting to collect and paint both armies and learn the rules, and then if somebody wants to play a game then I facilitate the whole thing. I think realistically the majority of my games are going to be solo.
I guess there's nothing to stop me, trying both in the long run.

More fundamentally, I'm asking what differentiates net epic from any other ruleset? What is the unique selling point? Lots of games support combined arms, alternating activations, suppression and unit degradation, and command and control difficulties. Nobody needs to justify their choice of game, obviously - but I would like to have a reason to play these rules rather than one of the others out there.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Well that's pretty easy for me as I don't have a community near me at all: I'm doing this like a historical game where I'm expecting to collect and paint both armies and learn the rules, and then if somebody wants to play a game then I facilitate the whole thing. I think realistically the majority of my games are going to be solo.
I guess there's nothing to stop me, trying both in the long run.

More fundamentally, I'm asking what differentiates net epic from any other ruleset? What is the unique selling point? Lots of games support combined arms, alternating activations, suppression and unit degradation, and command and control difficulties. Nobody needs to justify their choice of game, obviously - but I would like to have a reason to play these rules rather than one of the others out there.

Net:EA has about 20 years of community balancing and support, it is explicitly set in the Warhammer 40k universe. You won't need to do any "this counts as this" stuff as you adapt another ruleset to warhammer minis. Otherwise, as you said, any game will do as long as it checks a couple very specific boxes. It feels like you are talking yourself into a corner here. You are right that tons of games support those concepts, one could spend their entire life reading rulesets and trying to pick "the right one." I suspect you might want to just pick the one that is the fastest to teach and pick up, as it sounds like you won't have opponents that already play the game system.

I played a game of cold war commander last weekend, the base ruleset with no special rules. I'd never played before, it is insanely simple and within a turn or two I was comfortably playing the game without the need to ask for help. That said, it lacked flavour, my soviet tanks and infantry preformed the same as the NATO tanks and infantry. The only flavour was that I got a +1 to activate if I gave everyone the same order. It was still a super fun game, but I don't think I'd be driven to go play every weekend or anything like I do with Epic. There just isn't enough to dig my teeth into because it has so few moving parts.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

The Grimdark games are by necessity pretty bland and samey. A lot of the ways in which extra complexity can be layered in are largely not well tested and exist in the exact same format across all their games, which isn't a great sign. Epic has greater variety and character in its armies (not just the minis, but how an army's character comes through in rules and playstyle, how many different armies there are, the number of distinctive options in each army), it has a better objective system, more interesting ways to handle non-infantry (vehicles, walkers, superheavies, titans, fliers, orbital support), etc.

Now, normally a game with as many special rules and as much variety as Epic would likely be a shitshow of poor balance and overly nit-picky and complicated gameplay, but it's been around for so long and refined for so long that actually it's not the case at all.

Caveat to my post: I was hugely disappointed by all of the Grimdark games. They're good for quick pickup throw-some-dice experiences but I don't think they really work beyond that even with all the extra rules you can add in. I don't think they're anywhere near as good as many of the bigger modern games and many of the legacy ones too (like Epic, or Warmaster)

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Virtual Russian posted:

I played a game of cold war commander last weekend, the base ruleset with no special rules. I'd never played before, it is insanely simple and within a turn or two I was comfortably playing the game without the need to ask for help. That said, it lacked flavour, my soviet tanks and infantry preformed the same as the NATO tanks and infantry. The only flavour was that I got a +1 to activate if I gave everyone the same order. It was still a super fun game, but I don't think I'd be driven to go play every weekend or anything like I do with Epic. There just isn't enough to dig my teeth into because it has so few moving parts.

BTW, thanks for the writeup about this. An old grog game called MBT did excellent detailed small unit NATO conflicts with data sheets + it had rules for running a version with miniatures so I think I am going to try that in the near future.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Am I mistaken or doesn't Blitzkrieg/Cold War Commander and Warmaster have some shared origins?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Am I mistaken or doesn't Blitzkrieg/Cold War Commander and Warmaster have some shared origins?

I think Rick Priestly maybe. CWC did have the same command system as Warmaster, I really enjoyed that element of the game. I suspect the way units gave ground under fire is also warmaster.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Necromunda new core rulebook up for preorder next week. That was fast.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m going to be buying all the necromunda stuff. I pray my mouse clicking finger is fast enough.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

X-posting from painting thread:

Tiny Necrons!

With these I've got about 1600pts painted, most importantly though I've got my 1k minigeddon list fully painted. I'll post images of the lot another time. I'm very happy with them, I could certainly put more detail into them, but I think they look great, especially considering I'm not putting much time in. A couple hours at the absolute max per formation. The only place I really think shows the speed I'm painting at is the warbarque's portal. It looked terrible just flat green, but beyond sculpting in waves I just had to toss some paint down fast. I didn't do the glow around it as I might re-do that portal, I'm open to suggestions for how to go about that.

Also yes, I missed the glow on the very tips of the warbarques weapons. Fixing that now.

And now, for those playing Net:EA, please look at this minigeddon list and let me know what you think. This list should work, but I just can't win with it. I usually deep strike my monoliths in close to their garrison on their forward objective, planning to assault by portal attack. My opponents tend to break my monoliths, my assault falters, and then I get picked apart as my guys reel under intense fire. I can still recover and win sometimes, but it is a real slog. Warbarque is there to provide some long range sniper fire to take out arty, while also being a portal and assault support formation, I tend to keep it close to the monoliths. My next project for this army is building and painting destroyers, I might sub out the warbarque for destroyers. It would add some much needed mobility, but would put all my portals into one basket.

Minigeddon Newcrons, 1000 POINTS
Necron Sautekh Legion (Developmental V1.0)
==================================================

WARBARQUES [300]
1 Warbarque

MONOLITH MANIPLE [275]
2 Monolith, 2 Obelisk

WARRIOR PHALANX [225]
Necron Lord, 7 Sautekh Warrior unit

WARRIOR PHALANX [200]
Necron Lord, 6 Sautekh Warrior unit

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Those necrons look great, VR!

Also, I have another AT question, as I've been eyeing off Acastus Knights after recently noticing that they exist and I can see that an Australian store has them on sale. So, for a force that's trying to be fairly 'light' (so, nothing bigger than a reaver), are they a good choice, for a lower-cost long-range addition? Or should I just stick with what I've got? (Or get another warhound or something, I dunno) Since my force consists of a maniple of warhounds+reavers and six Cerastus Knights (mix of all three types).

My overall gameplan is to try and flank with the two Cerastus banners, while slowly advancing on (while plinking away with) my titans. My primary opponent has two legios - one packed with Warhounds and one with Warhounds, Reavers and a Warlord. So yeah, would Acastus Knights be worthwhile to buy, as long-range pieces to just sit further away from the action and hopefully draw some focus away from my forward banners.

Oh also, are there any trap choices, regarding the 'defensive weapons' they're equipped with? (Since I've heard that the Cerastus sword+cannon option is a bit of a trap, for example. I read about that after I glued them all together of course, haha - although the giant power swords are pretty cool, so I honestly don't mind) And I assume the pack doesn't come with the command stuff for them, right? I'd normally assume they do, but this is GW we're talking about and the box doesn't mention them, so I doubt it

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Acastus... sort of have a bad rap, and there's the danger (especially if you bring more than one) of some side-eye from your opponent - they're kind of binary, too, in that if your opponent is prepared for them (mostly by bringing quake) they're not that hard to handle, while if they're not, they're can be an unfun bear to deal with. They would certainly draw attention from your forward forces, though, as they're tough nuts to crack and much too powerful just to be ignored.

If you want some light long-range support, I'd suggest rather waiting for the plastic dire wolf release and getting that instead, as you'll have some interesting options with the weapons choices there, plus you can actually put then in a maniple and take advantage of those rules.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Acastus doesn't come with command terminals, no. You can buy a pack of five, but they've been errataed to auxillary unit, so you'll never need more than one, maybe two in giant games.
They also only come with the Magna lascannons. The defensive weapons are either a weak, short-range autohit, or a 12" 2 dice strength 6 attack. That's not really a great upgrade considering they're supposed to be artillery.

With all the errata, they'll run you at least 350 points for a full unit of two, so you might as well kit out a Reaver as a mini Warbringer, or get a Dire Wolf later like Giant Ethicist suggested.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
James Acastus is one of my favorite comedians

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Major Isoor posted:

Those necrons look great, VR!

Also, I have another AT question, as I've been eyeing off Acastus Knights after recently noticing that they exist and I can see that an Australian store has them on sale. So, for a force that's trying to be fairly 'light' (so, nothing bigger than a reaver), are they a good choice, for a lower-cost long-range addition? Or should I just stick with what I've got? (Or get another warhound or something, I dunno) Since my force consists of a maniple of warhounds+reavers and six Cerastus Knights (mix of all three types).

My overall gameplan is to try and flank with the two Cerastus banners, while slowly advancing on (while plinking away with) my titans. My primary opponent has two legios - one packed with Warhounds and one with Warhounds, Reavers and a Warlord. So yeah, would Acastus Knights be worthwhile to buy, as long-range pieces to just sit further away from the action and hopefully draw some focus away from my forward banners.

Oh also, are there any trap choices, regarding the 'defensive weapons' they're equipped with? (Since I've heard that the Cerastus sword+cannon option is a bit of a trap, for example. I read about that after I glued them all together of course, haha - although the giant power swords are pretty cool, so I honestly don't mind) And I assume the pack doesn't come with the command stuff for them, right? I'd normally assume they do, but this is GW we're talking about and the box doesn't mention them, so I doubt it

In addition to what people have already said, while it definitely does its job well, my two cents is that at this point the detrimental impact of taking just one Acastus is more a psychological effect than them being that egregiously good. Two Porphyrion are maybe still a bit good for the points, Asterius is... maybe not enough of an upgrade to bother? Can't quite decide.

Keep in mind, the Legio Battlegroup restricts you to two reinforcement Banners of knights total, and then Acastus are further restricted to one Banner per Maniple. The Dominus Maniple (and Ignus, but for that you'd want heavier Titan firepower more anyway I think) does give you some Banners that don't count towards the restriction, but it doesn't really gel with what you want to do. So if you want those two units of Cerastus as well as more fire support, an additional Titan (reinforcement or otherwise) is the more flexible option.

So far as knight loadouts go; haven't found anyone that actually gives a poo poo about seeing the meltagun options on Questoris or lascannon on Acastus so long as you're using what's on your armylist, so don't worry too much about those. Though I would put the missile pod on Questoris if you ever get those and think you'll use it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

notaspy posted:

I used this one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zAfqkP5gi84&feature=share8

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Assessor of Maat posted:

Keep in mind, the Legio Battlegroup restricts you to two reinforcement Banners of knights total, and then Acastus are further restricted to one Banner per Maniple. The Dominus Maniple (and Ignus, but for that you'd want heavier Titan firepower more anyway I think) does give you some Banners that don't count towards the restriction, but it doesn't really gel with what you want to do. So if you want those two units of Cerastus as well as more fire support, an additional Titan (reinforcement or otherwise) is the more flexible option.

Thanks for the info, all! Especially this bit - I had completely forgotten about that restriction! Anyway, from the sounds of all your comments, it seems like I may be better served waiting until plastic dire wolves arrive, then grabbing one of them instead

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, sorry for the DP - I just have a quick question unrelated to the above, as it's regarding Blood Bowl 2 this time. SO! I'm playing a non-serious season in a league with friends (seeing as I already have a couple of seasons' worth of good teams for the big cup) using Ogres. I've got five ogres and... seven gnoblars, I believe.

So my question is, how should I be tackling halflings? Since they're my next game - and the only one I actually care about, as it's a level playing field and will hopefully be hilarious. :D (I actually managed to beat vampires just earlier, too - swept their team, completely! So I haven't been too unlucky) Anyway, as I've got five ogres, I'm OK in terms of muscle. But to complicate things it's a home game for him, so he'll be using the star player treeman. So yeah, should I be trying to take out his trees directly, or just ignore them as much as possible and instead take out his halflings? Also, how much should I be trying to hurl my gnoblars into his halflings? Since as they're fairly similarly priced, it's not as tantalizing as hurling one at a cluster as elves for example, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
always avoid trees if you can. throwing gnoblars is mostly a comedy option.