Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Big enough to pack a couple of hundred kilos of explosives so probably

So not really, I guess. Underwater explosions are very effective against ships but structures like bridges are stronger and also don't float in water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

The prior truck-bound IED attack caused significant damage to both spans. It's certainly possible.

It coincided with a fuel train which caught fire, iirc.

e: if there were multiple missile hits then it of course increases the likelihood of more extensive damage

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 17, 2023

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Last time the damage to the trainsection was mostly from a burning fueltrain that was on the bridge when the truckbomb exploded.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The rail bridge is more important, but it's narrow and sturdy, probably very hard to hit with missiles

The road bridge is not as important but it's an excellent thing to hit to show that the russian army can't protect it and tourism season is over

Discendo Vox posted:

iirc the rail bridge was restored and operable (possibly at reduced weight) in relatively short order. I think a footing support would need to be taken out for it to become genuinely difficult to repair.

One rail track out of two were damaged. The rail traffic was restored iirc in may, not short order as it took about 9 months

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

When initial poo poo started popping up about this event I was half expecting it could just be something like a pinch hit that might have gotten the bridge closed for an hour or two and got current occupants of crimea newly super nervous about exit signs, now it almost sounds like morning's gonna bring russia congratulating itself for a nighttime operation to radically increase boat clearance

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
A video from the morning train going across, so I guess the rail part of the bridge is fine:
https://i.imgur.com/UMg7LDg.mp4

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay apparently that is not a regular train as train service seems to be halted: https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3736626-train-services-stopped-on-kerch-bridge.html

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If it were indeed missiles thats pretty huge - would mean that all those layers of AA that have been put there cant reliably protect anything in Crimea. Also maybe new western missile arrival?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Source for the BBC saying it was surface drones from the Ukrainian navy:

BBC posted:

A source in the Security Service of Ukraine tells BBC Russian the attack was "a special operation of the naval forces of the armed forces of Ukraine and the Security Service of Ukraine".

“The bridge was attacked with surface drones. It was difficult to reach the bridge, but in the end it was possible," the source says.

Separately, sources tell the Ukrainian site censor.net that Ukraine's security service carried out the attack.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

fatherboxx posted:

If it were indeed missiles thats pretty huge - would mean that all those layers of AA that have been put there cant reliably protect anything in Crimea. Also maybe new western missile arrival?

Whatever it was it's put russia in the position of having to decide if they want to put repair equipment out on the place they couldn't protect

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Kikas posted:

A video from the morning train going across, so I guess the rail part of the bridge is fine:
https://i.imgur.com/UMg7LDg.mp4

Could the surface look that clean with a missile hit? I don't see a hole punched in it or anything, obviously we don't have the best view.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Some bigwig will be in trouble for sure. Just how many failures can Shoigu endure?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Bashez posted:

Could the surface look that clean with a missile hit? I don't see a hole punched in it or anything, obviously we don't have the best view.

Someone made a really good post about the exploding sea drones in one of the war threads the last time the bridge was hit. The long and short of it is that setting off an explosion on the water's surface directly underneath the bridge deck directs the force of the blast into lifting the deck, which switches the stress from compressive stress (which it is designed to support against) to tensile stress (which it is definitely not intended to support against).

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

HolHorsejob posted:

Someone made a really good post about the exploding sea drones in one of the war threads the last time the bridge was hit. The long and short of it is that setting off an explosion on the water's surface directly underneath the bridge deck directs the force of the blast into lifting the deck, which switches the stress from compressive stress (which it is designed to support against) to tensile stress (which it is definitely not intended to support against).

I was wondering about this - is that maybe why they targeted the road bridge rather than the rail bridge (which has a greater logistical role), since the road bridge is much lower so it's going to have a significantly increased impact?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

Article here goes into detail about how James Vasquez basically faked his volunteer experience in Ukraine.

I remember him posting some dumb poo poo that involved wearing Russian uniforms, at which point I lost all suspension of disbelief. I can imagine some volunteers doing really dumb stuff; I cannot imagine their Ukrainian handlers being happy about them posting mywarcrimes.txt on the internet.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

HolHorsejob posted:

[submarining across the kerch strait in a carbon fiber tube, mashing my madcatz controller] ok now is really not the time to get back into that tensile vs compressive stress poo poo with me okay

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like one of the bridge supports is badly damaged, seems like that might be more annoying to fix than just bringing in a new span?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Chalks posted:

Looks like one of the bridge supports is badly damaged, seems like that might be more annoying to fix than just bringing in a new span?

Last time 2 road sections on either side of 1 pillar mostly fell into the ocean, plus a nearby train burst into flames and damaged the rail bridge. So for overall damage I'd say this time looks less severe.

The real difference is this is a much better time for Ukraine to continue attacking the bridge because for all the issues and delays, the offensive to cut off Crimea is actually underway now. Kherson was still a month away from liberation last time the bridge was hit. And Ukraine now has more long-range strike options available, with more likely on the way. We'll see what happens of course but I would not be surprised if this is the time they start trying to take Kerch out permanently.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The psychological effect is probably even more significant - after a demoralising coup attempt, slow Ukrainian advance, Putin appearing weak, and purges in the military command, a spectacular event like this with easily distributable pictures of a symbolic piece of infrastructure deep in the rear is going to add to the tensions

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

What might happen next is that Ukrainian drones target Russian shipping to Crimea. Russia had already moved some of the logistics to ships in anticipation of attacks.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Chalks posted:

tbh there's nothing to do on that front but wait for some twitter personality with suspiciously related expertise to come barreling on down with "As a bridge engineer with a degree in naval drone explosives who worked on several double parallel railroad-road truss arch bridges in eastern europe alone, I've looked at all the pictures and video of the damage and here's why the bridge is totally fine / will be down for a year / is extremely hosed forever, 1/43"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Orthanc6 posted:

Last time 2 road sections on either side of 1 pillar mostly fell into the ocean, plus a nearby train burst into flames and damaged the rail bridge. So for overall damage I'd say this time looks less severe.

The real difference is this is a much better time for Ukraine to continue attacking the bridge because for all the issues and delays, the offensive to cut off Crimea is actually underway now. Kherson was still a month away from liberation last time the bridge was hit. And Ukraine now has more long-range strike options available, with more likely on the way. We'll see what happens of course but I would not be surprised if this is the time they start trying to take Kerch out permanently.

However last time one of the road bridges was not that badly damaged so road traffic could recommence fairly soon. No chance of that this time, road traffic's out of the question for months.

Sure, train line is undamaged this time but I suspect that's only a matter of time till it's targeted.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
The Economist has a rather convincing article summarizing Meduza and Mediazona reporting on how many Russians have died in Ukraine since the Feb 22 invasion -- likely around 47,000, including 27,000 of which are verified. They also report around 80k additional WIA that were disabling. This is including Wagner+Russia, but I'm not sure if LNR/DPR are included.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2023/07/12/a-new-study-finds-that-47000-russian-combatants-have-died-in-ukraine

(You can stop loading before the paywall loads but after the full article loads, try private browsing if you don't get it right on the first try.)

That's more combat deaths than the sum-total of all of Russia's/USSR's wars since 1945 (41k) and about the same as the US's combat deaths in Vietnam (~48k). The US also had 150k serious WIAs in Vietnam.

Ukraine's numbers are no doubt also pretty horrific, even if lower in absolute numbers they will certainly be higher in population percentage terms.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
47-55000 is the range they offer and no that is not counting dpr/lpr

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
9 years in the blink of an eye

https://twitter.com/WhatADdoing/status/1680874578560557056?t=Iic1v7LeDYNGXyPQgLXGjQ&s=19

I guess I hadn't really paused to consider just how motivated NL are to provide training to Ukrainian pilots, etc.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess I hadn't really paused to consider just how motivated NL are to provide training to Ukrainian pilots, etc.

Putin: guys, guys guys, come on! We were all having fun, with the missile launchers and the novichok. Seriously…are you actually pissed at me?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/WhatADdoing/status/1680874578560557056?t=Iic1v7LeDYNGXyPQgLXGjQ&s=19

Compared to other famous terror incidents (I will call it that, even if it was an accidental firing), it did not kill that many people. But proportionally, it killed more Dutch than 9/11 did Americans. And not just primarily working adults, many children as well. I know of several people in my eider social network since then who lost acquaintances and / or relatives.

Many people were angry at the government at their initial meek response towards Russia. I was thinking that once again, the Dutch government would just rather go after business as usual and not risk whatever precious business interests they thought they had with Russia.

Them coming out with a crystal clear verdict after the investigation helped. But the Dutch response towards the made clear that it wasn't just cynical realpolitik they were after. It's a small grace but I'll take it.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seeing that procession again still hits me.

I can't really speak for the entire country, but to me it always felt very off that relations with Russia remained largely 'normal' after MH17 for economic reasons. Not even so much because of the disaster itself, but because of the constant lies and obstruction to prevent families of victims from learning the truth that came out of Russia afterwards; it was very clear that we were dealing with a completely untrustworthy regime of bandits and murderers, far before Russia invaded Ukraine. I had a colleague whose brother died on MH17 at the time, and everything that Russia did to prevent fact-finding afterwards made the pain a lot worse for her.

To be clear, the relationship was a lot less friendly than before MH17; this picture of the king of the Netherlands and Putin was taken a few months before MH17 (and before the invasion of Crimea) during the Winter Olympics in Russia and would note have been possible afterwards, and language from Dutch officials about Russia was sometimes harsh. But in a practical/economic sense not much seemed to change, although Google tells me exports to Russia did drop for a while.

It's sad and to me not exacly a flattering fact for our country that it took the invasion of Ukraine to finally (largely) break the ties with Russia. I do think that without MH17, the Dutch motivation to support Ukraine would be largely the same though.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am an idiot.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 17, 2023

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Looking at the video of the damaged bridge, the section that has dropped is dark fresh tarmac. I suspect it's the same section that was hit last time, which makes sense if you suspect they half-assed the repairs. They wouldn't skimp on something so vital to the war effort, would they?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

OzyMandrill posted:

Looking at the video of the damaged bridge, the section that has dropped is dark fresh tarmac. I suspect it's the same section that was hit last time, which makes sense if you suspect they half-assed the repairs. They wouldn't tho, would they?

I recall from last fall that the Russians announced the bridge was only damaged superficially and they would have it up and running again soon. Considering how important the bridge is for supplying their troops it's a priority to get up and running again as quickly as possible.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

No Labels is putting balloons in the air to see if Joe Manchin is viable as a 3rd Party candidate and in no way is the commentary paid for on CNN. To be fair this is labelled as "analysis" but reads as a No Labels press release.

I think part of this is CNN trying to drum up SOME sort of interest because they think Joe Biden is cruising to a 2nd term and need a way to drum up a horse race. But let's take that more conspiratorial point aside.

No Labels is making the same mistake every Unity Ticket/People Hate the Two Parties people make. They believe their perception of the parties it how the public views the parties and that simply isn't true. It's "both sides are the same" but in terms of extremism. And that simply isn't true and as always a true third party candidate would be some sort of social safety net but for white people.

You can't do foreign politics in here, this is the War Room!!! :nallears:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

The rail bridge damage aside, I imagine the only way to replace a bridge support is to remove the 4 spans that it holds up first, so I'm not sure the superficial damage to the spans tells the whole story. Obviously depends on how severe the damage to the support pillar is.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 17, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The Ukrainians are going to keep hitting it as well. If Russia can repair it again they will let them waste time and money doing it then just blast it again. The more times it is hit, especially in the same areas, the more likely you will see catastrophic damage develop though the entire structure. I seriously doubt Russia is doing hardcore inspection of the bridge regularly. Flaws are going to develop.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bashez posted:

Looks like the support under it was damaged. I wonder if Ukraine managed to sneak one of those semi-submersible boat drones in?

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Sure looks like it, but those things would need to have what, 500nm range to come in from Odessa?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ripperljohn posted:

Sure looks like it, but those things would need to have what, 500nm range to come in from Odessa?

It is highly unlikely they were launched from Odessa. An educated guess is that it was launched from sea probably less than 100nm away. They don’t seem to be that big so you could reasonably hide and launch them from a fishing vessel for example. Command and control would likely be done from a second vessel or even possibly on land.

If I were going to do it I’d load up at port in Turkey, go out, launch, maybe do a little actual fishing and come back to port in the morning. It would be next to impossible tell what vessel(s) is loading/launching the drones and Russia isn’t about to spark an incident going after fishing boats in the Black Sea.

This sorta attack has been a concern for the US Navy for a very long time.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Russia is also not extending the grain exports deal, per CNBC. Wheat prices have already jumped and that'll get worse, as transit costs will also rise to get Ukraine's grain out of the country.

It's not just economic damage, it's also damaging to global food security, which is also being impacted by the record heat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mooseontheloose posted:

[ur.

No Labels is making the same mistake every Unity Ticket/People Hate the Two Parties people make. They believe their perception of the parties it how the public views the parties and that simply isn't true. It's "both sides are the same" but in terms of extremism. And that simply isn't true and as always a true third party candidate would be some sort of social safety net but for white people.

It's not a mistake. Isn't no labels funded by right wing billionaires? They know what they're doing. It's just vote splitting under a different flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What is the feasibility of Turkey protecting Ukrainian shipments made without Russia's permission as they previously threatened to do?