Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

How does someone so obsessed with the minutiae of this comic fail so miserably to understand what made it appealing in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bimmi posted:

How does someone so obsessed with the minutiae of this comic fail so miserably to understand what made it appealing in the first place?

When you're two decades deep into living off of early 2000s webcomic luck, you get the same level of lack-of-give-a-poo poo that most people who take over legacy comic strips do.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(June 3, 1917) timgd for Mock Duck

Little Nemo(October 28, 1906)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Maybe don't just stand there and chase your toddler before she hurts herself???

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Good, I hope every single one of these fuckers become stuck as fish.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Bimmi posted:

It turns out that reading a wiki isn't a substitute for knowledge. I love the weird nonsensical shamble walk so many characters do as demonstrated by the couple in panel seven. You really can't unsee how bad the posture and lines of action are as another poster pointed out.

We're about 2-3 full "adventures" in and I don't think Randy is gonna push past his limitations any time soon. At least it's.. average? But the curse of the new webcomic artist continues as Popeye deserves better.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

"Knee"?

"Knee"?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 13, 1958)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Ever since this mole storyline started, I've been worried about Georgia Dunn trying to make some metaphorical "horrors of war" storry with her cute animal strip, particularly pertaining to Ruissia-Ukraine. It hasn't obviously shifted in that direction but I can see it going there any day now.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 17, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
CT scanning an eye injury? I guess they're looking for shrapnel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goatface posted:

CT scanning an eye injury? I guess they're looking for shrapnel.

CT scans for eye injuries is pretty common as x-rays can only really see foreign objects or orbital fractures while CTs can see those plus things like anterior detached retinas, lens dislocation, and so on.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Curtis, featuring the amazing vanishing large man

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

So. Many. OceanGate. Jokes.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
lmao even the CK commenters are making the obvious jokes on that Slylock

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Count Weirdly has purchased a social media site, fired all of its staff, and glutted its content with fascist dogma. How can Slylock prove the purchase was fraudulent?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

CT scans for eye injuries is pretty common as x-rays can only really see foreign objects or orbital fractures while CTs can see those plus things like anterior detached retinas, lens dislocation, and so on.

I was expecting MRI for soft tissue, but good to know! I only deal with the hardware side so I mostly guess about actual usage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Count Weirdly believes that safety regulations stifle innovation and that taxation is theft, leading him to take his dangerously under-engineered homemade submarine into international waters. How can Slylock use this information to determine the Count’s opinion on laws regarding the age of consent?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Starting off a new Gene and Mary Lou check-in with a Tarantino homage.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

The river quietly chuckles to itself in anticipation.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

amigolupus posted:

Maybe don't just stand there and chase your toddler before she hurts herself??
That sounds suspiciously like something A Good Parent would do. Foob will have no truck with such heresy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Huxley posted:

Starting off a new Gene and Mary Lou check-in with a Tarantino homage.

i can't lie i've been dying to see what these two are up to so i'm glad we're finally getting around to it

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Hwurmp posted:

Count Weirdly has purchased a social media site, fired all of its staff, and glutted its content with fascist dogma. How can Slylock prove the purchase was fraudulent?

Solution -- Slylock creates a phony account to fluff Weirdly's ego, and eventually Weirdly falls into his replies and blurts out far more about the business than he did to the FTC.

Mutts

The Curse of Sally Forth!

Skippy (August 2, 1935)

Peanuts (July 19, 1976)

CrankshaftCon

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, featuring an old friend and an artist who has a fighting chance of drawing him correctly. (February 19, 1940)

Out Our Way (April 27-29, 1942)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I AM GRANDO posted:

Count Weirdly believes that safety regulations stifle innovation and that taxation is theft, leading him to take his dangerously under-engineered homemade submarine into international waters. How can Slylock use this information to determine the Count’s opinion on laws regarding the age of consent?

Answer: as he is piloting the submarine, Count Weirdly's crime is a self-solving one. RIP the other occupants, Wealthy Warthog and Affluent Antilope.

Oh yeah, and Max Mouse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Global warming is hitting Finland extremely hard, since traditionally our buildings are built to retain heat at all costs, because traditionally our summer have been short and cold, and our winters long and properly cold. In my flat, where the windows face south and I get sun all day, the inside temperatures reach ~36 degrees on sunny days, and it's impossible to get rid of the heat. Just the walls heating up and storing heat will be enough to keep the place uncomfortably hot for a long, long time.

So in short... would.

Glad I live in a wooden house, good insulation and no thermal mass.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "144 - Jucika Teaches To Sell"

"145 - Jucika Is Shopping" NSFW Nudity

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Windows 11 *keeps* showing my 9CL in some menu thing and I have finally told it to block GoComics, so we'll see what happens.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

This strip takes place in the 80s, yes? The honey badger is a real animal, but it was pretty obscure until it became a meme in the 2010s. Debating whether to call shenanigans here. :raise:

This is what I mean about magical realism Crabgrass being a bit disorienting. You kind of have to make a mental note of it not being set in the present day for the driverless ice cream truck mystery not being obviously explained by it being an Elon Musk experiment.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

CrankshaftCon

The fact Mopey Pete and his girlfriend are dressed up as siblings just makes me think of that Shortpacked parody comic with "cancer cancer cancer? incest!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Are they supposed to be going to SDCC? Why does the entry hallway or whatever give off a grungy motel vibe?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Because he's never been there.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

Toto’s Big Plan

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel
Carote is such a great name. :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Are they supposed to be going to SDCC? Why does the entry hallway or whatever give off a grungy motel vibe?

Batiuk accurately predicted the Actor's Strike, which means fewer big media scrums this year and a much more reasonably scaled con.

(If only.)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

Ever since this mole storyline started, I've been worried about Georgia Dunn trying to make some metaphorical "horrors of war" storry with her cute animal strip, particularly pertaining to Ruissia-Ukraine. It hasn't obviously shifted in that direction but I can see it going there any day now.

I think you're borrowing trouble. BCN has never done a 'very special episode' or tried to engage with real life news in the way you are describing.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

Oh hey it's the Wand of Death

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 17, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

This is what I mean about magical realism Crabgrass being a bit disorienting. You kind of have to make a mental note of it not being set in the present day for the driverless ice cream truck mystery not being obviously explained by it being an Elon Musk experiment.

It was never set in a specific past, though? It was always openly a mash up of the 80s, 90s and early 00s. And 'ah this is an Elon Musk thing' is not something I would think even if the strip was explicitly set in 2023, because that makes very little sense for a whimsical kid's adventure story.

This is like reading 'Bunnicula' and getting really worked up about the accuracy of rabbit care portrayed therein and why the story has not explained how the cat can read. Or reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' and saying it's worldbuilding is incoherent because sometimes Hobbes is a stuffed tiger and sometimes he is not and what is the viewer supposed to take away from that?

Sorry I'm not trying to be aggro but I am truly mystified by this recurring discussion thread around the strip's setting. It's extremely normal for a lighthearted kid's story not to be 100% grounded in a specific setting and to just have random anachronisms or excursions into the fantastic. The 'honey badger' thing wouldn't be a big deal even if it was supposed to be strictly set in the 80s, because that's a throwaway line immediately understandable to the audience reading it and the point of the work is not creating a slavishly authentic period piece. The approach to setting is driven by the kinds of stories told, not the other way around, and there is no real need for a 'kids solving a mystery in an ambigously nostalgic past' story to be a super authentic period piece, because the exact time period is not tremendously important to the story.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 17, 2023

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What is up with Garfield? Everyone knows cats don't eat lasagna!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Shouldn't Scooby and the Gang logically realize every time they found a ghost in the past it's actually been an elaborate hoax, and therefore the Phantom of Spooky Hill is almost certainly another case of real estate fraud? These mysteries just fall apart immediately, smh.