Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The WinUI stuff is sure weird.

I'm using the Apple Music Preview app, which seems to be using WinUI 3.0. I had it open on my second display and suddenly there was a region where things were unclickable, while the mouse cursor changed to the horizontal resize cursor. Any other app in that screen region responded fine, just not Apple Music. I ran Process Explorer and started knocking off random suspicious background processes, until I came across the Google Crash Handler processes (both 32- and 64bit ones). As soon as I killed them, the unclickable region went away.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
More then anything in the land of software, I want WinUI to go the gently caress away and for WPF to just be the defacto, supported way you build apps in WIndows.

I got my wish once with the death of UWP. I'm asking for another miracle.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

More then anything in the land of software, I want WinUI to go the gently caress away and for WPF to just be the defacto, supported way you build apps in WIndows.

Surprise: WinForms!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh it was something else.
I forgot it had a USB dongle. :sweatdrop:

Yes, that's normal.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A month or two ago I got very confused by not being able to find the USB wireless dongle for my keyboard and mouse, despite them working fine and obviously being connected. Since they can pair either to the dongle or using Bluetooth I started wondering if I for some reason had connected them via Bluetooth and forgot about it. Checked every USB port on my desktop, checked them again, and eventually gave up since they were working fine.

A day or so later I realized the dongle is plugged into a USB port on my monitor - I forgot it had a built-in hub. :doh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also normal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bluetooth loving up is also very normal.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What, not banking everything on .NET MAUI? :v:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Just embrace the inevitable and accept that the only UI toolkit in the future will be HTML.

And WinForms. Because nothing can kill WinForms.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

biznatchio posted:

Just embrace the inevitable and accept that the only UI toolkit in the future will be HTML.

And WinForms. Because nothing can kill WinForms.

WinForms might actually be the UI Framework Cockroach (for pretty decent reasons, really).

Unfortunately for all things Web, some software actually has to like... do stuff... and that stuff sometimes has to be performant, so I'm not too concerned to be honest.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNuR16gJ2A

What in the hell.... more of this garbage blaming the CPUs for Windows 11 lag.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

redeyes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNuR16gJ2A

What in the hell.... more of this garbage blaming the CPUs for Windows 11 lag.

What windows 11 lag?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah whut. The start menu is the only thing that seems a bit “laggy” to me, but it’s been that way since win 10?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rawrbomb posted:

What windows 11 lag?

Well just look at the video. The idea the CPU is causing this is stupid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't use any video editing software but i can't say i have any of those mouse or window moving stutter issues

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've had a weird issue where a couple of months ago I started experiencing significant lag on file operations, like opening and saving. Everything else seems normal. SMART results for the SSD are normal, firmware's up to date. It's sporadic.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Well just look at the video. The idea the CPU is causing this is stupid.

Why is it "stupid" when the CPU is causing it (or at the very least, the mobo chipset)?

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 17, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

biznatchio posted:

Why is it "stupid" when the CPU is causing it (or at the very least, the mobo chipset)?

What evidence do we have of this?! How could it be possible that some minor increase in latency would cause Explorer to poo poo its pants so bad?

Just because some youtubers say so, with literally no evidence doesn't work for me. No, videos of their explorer lagging out is not proof.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, you posted some video randomly with no other context or conversation going on and are mad at the guy for (incorrectly?) blaming Intel when you're saying it's Win11. You offer no proof or really anything at all to discuss. You trust that the person is correctly measuring latency that is apparently endemic to all Win11 installs, but don't trust his conclusion that it's Intel CPUs?

I guess I'm just confused as to what we're doing here.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

What evidence do we have of this?! How could it be possible that some minor increase in latency would cause Explorer to poo poo its pants so bad?

Just because some youtubers say so, with literally no evidence doesn't work for me. No, videos of their explorer lagging out is not proof.

I mean if you choose to ignore their DPC latency comparisons on identical software and drivers comparing between CPU generations, and you ignore their observation that disabling the CPU's E-cores has a drastic improvement (disabling CPU C-states also helps); then yeah I could see why you'd think they have "literally no evidence". It really helps in declaring there's no evidence when you just don't acknowledge any evidence.

If your CPU interrupt latency goes through the roof, you're going to see strange performance regressions in places you wouldn't expect to see them, while other operations are unaffected. It all boils down to whether what you're observing is sensitive to interrupt performance (for instance, I/O... but it's not like Explorer relies on I/O, right?).

Is it an issue with the CPU hardware or microcode? Very possibly. Is it an issue with a certain motherboard chipset? Also very possibly. Is it an issue with Windows drivers for either the CPU or the chipset? Also possible. But given that settings outside of Windows impact the performance, and that this issue isn't universal and seems to happen only in very specific hardware setups, then that very heavily suggests it's not Windows that's the problem and suspecting the CPU isn't at all a "stupid" conclusion since it's one of the two most likely suspects. But somehow it's not at all "stupid" for you to just point the finger at Windows 11, and actually doing so with "literally no evidence".

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 17, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i went against my better judgment and watched the dumb video

the trouble is if it really were a fundamental issue with the cpu it would be easily repeatable over more than just this one dude's system - in fact it'd be a problem on a lot of systems which doesn't seem to be the case - and someone would have noticed two years ago when alder lake released that important hardware was moved off-die like he claims. you wouldn't be able to keep such a major architectural change away from the internet's eye.

his "proof" that it's the cpu's fault is mostly subjective nonsense (that loving "10 files vs 6 files" graph, christ) plus some other youtuber he spends the bulk of his video quoting saying a bunch of other dudes at a trade show insisted "it's the cpu honest." it isn't convincing. he also doesn't mention (or I didn't catch) if he disabled the integrated GPU on the 13900K which windows is likely to use over the dedicated GPU for desktop acceleration if you don't tell it to use something else. he leaps straight for "it's the E cores! they moved the IOH off die!" without demonstrably eliminating all other potential culprits or explaining his results (for example: why does disabling the e cores improve performance for his machine?).

it's a useless video that spend ~11 minutes saying nothing of value and I am dumber for having watched and then posted about it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have no lag on my Ryzens or win 11 that video was dumb

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean, you posted some video randomly with no other context or conversation going on and are mad at the guy for (incorrectly?) blaming Intel when you're saying it's Win11. You offer no proof or really anything at all to discuss. You trust that the person is correctly measuring latency that is apparently endemic to all Win11 installs, but don't trust his conclusion that it's Intel CPUs?

I guess I'm just confused as to what we're doing here.

This crap was originally posted about in the Intel thread, that's why it seems like redeyes is continuing a debate with zero context. Redeyes probably forgot which thread it was.

(Alternately, they're trolling this thread because in the other thread everyone said "yep that's dumb" and moved on.)

biznatchio posted:

Is it an issue with the CPU hardware or microcode? Very possibly. Is it an issue with a certain motherboard chipset? Also very possibly. Is it an issue with Windows drivers for either the CPU or the chipset? Also possible. But given that settings outside of Windows impact the performance, and that this issue isn't universal and seems to happen only in very specific hardware setups, then that very heavily suggests it's not Windows that's the problem and suspecting the CPU isn't at all a "stupid" conclusion since it's one of the two most likely suspects. But somehow it's not at all "stupid" for you to just point the finger at Windows 11, and actually doing so with "literally no evidence".

The bit that has no evidence is where these guys are pinning the problem (chip IO being moved to a different die / far from the cores). And that's definitely not the case, because that would affect *everything* running on the system and not just some random window wiggles in explorer or whatever.

None of their tests, including DPC latency, are anywhere close to measuring latency on the hardware itself rather than latency of windows responding to user threads. And their problem is with large latency spikes, which is much more likely to be a consequence of software than hardware.

edit: like, it's probably hardware-related but not hardware-originated. (For ex, E vs P core stuff -- my no-evidence guess is most of the problem is thread scheduling. Seems like a lot of the observed problems might be from threads hopping between E and P, for example all the explorer stuff. Thread director would normally keep explorer on an E.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 18, 2023

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my windows 11 works perfectly with no lag. as does my CPU. owned

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

barnold posted:

my windows 11 works perfectly with no lag. as does my CPU. owned

Mine always has except one little problem has cropped up. The new (Windows 11 Insider Preview 25905.1000 (rs_prerelease)) version broke StartAllBack and now I'm stuck with the default and that blows.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Mine always has except one little problem has cropped up. The new (Windows 11 Insider Preview 25905.1000 (rs_prerelease)) version broke StartAllBack and now I'm stuck with the default and that blows.

Drugs feel good, it's the withdrawal that makes them suck.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had a weird issue where a couple of months ago I started experiencing significant lag on file operations, like opening and saving. Everything else seems normal. SMART results for the SSD are normal, firmware's up to date. It's sporadic.

Have you tried resetting the folder view and saved info? No promises, but I've done it to clean up weird Explorer / dialog box behaviour a few times.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I'm building a new machine for gaming and was thinking of going with Windows 11 this time. However, I really don't want to have to use a Microsoft account at all. I've been reading Microsoft has been doing everything possible to make it hard to impossible to use a local account. How tricky is it to do on a basic new setup of Windows 11 Home? Is it still possible? Or do I have to shell out for Pro for that?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So I'm building a new machine for gaming and was thinking of going with Windows 11 this time. However, I really don't want to have to use a Microsoft account at all. I've been reading Microsoft has been doing everything possible to make it hard to impossible to use a local account. How tricky is it to do on a basic new setup of Windows 11 Home? Is it still possible? Or do I have to shell out for Pro for that?

It looks like it isn't that hard:

https://techbit.ca/2022/12/setup-windows-11-home-with-a-local-user-account/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that doesnt work anymore

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I did it last week on a PC in the shop using that method

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Make a bootable USB installer, unplug the network during setup and use the OOBE command mentioned in that article and it should work just fine. I have to do that on Win11 VMs I spin up initially since they don't have drivers for the virtual network.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
lol my goddamn monitor won't display whatever resolution/etc Clonezilla was trying to use, so just used the Macrium demo. Goddamn I'm irritated at this monitor (Gigabyte M32U, have had nothing but weird problems with this thing.)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

redeyes posted:

that doesnt work anymore

Yes, it does, like the poster above

Although, no@thank you.com works a lot faster

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

It's probably easier to just create the installer with Rufus, that way you can go ahead and get rid of the ram/tpm/secure boot/etc requirements at the same time, as well as the online account stuff.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah once I was able to manage to download it Rufus was great.
Gonna probably use it for my messing around computer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just tried the "Install website as app" feature for Fastmail. This is actually pretty sick

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Did a system restore to try to make an Arduino Micro Pro show up again in Windows 11 and whatever it did, the apps from MS store were especially fucky. Not a crash, not an uninstall, but like a general something is wrong with this app.

With this fresh Win11 install, I used WingetUI for as much of the install as possible and it was slick to have so many sources to install from.

almost all of the apps that came from the MS store went into this state. Rolled back to the restore point I came from but all the MS Store apps were still weird.

As a :vapes: note, is there a good driver finder and installer as good as Snappy Driver Installer Origin? In Windows 10, it found all the drivers I needed including almost all of the MB components, weird PCI devices, and basically everything.

Now it can't even find Nvidia drivers which it always found if I didn't jump on Nvidia experience.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I normally use Windows Update to find drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i download the latest drivers directly from the manufacturer's websites and put them on a flash drive, just as god intended