Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

I would argue that it's more than a "pretty strong incentive" -- it would create a choice where right now there is no choice. Your currency is either pegged to the dollar (or petrodollar) or nothing.

To make a food analogy (because I'm hungry right now) imagine if there was only one diner in your town. If you want to eat a meal you don't cook yourself, you have to go there. They set the terms, the prices, the menu, etc. Then suddenly a mediocre but still edible Chinese food place (that also serves pelmenis, curries, caipirinhas, and uh, whatever they eat in South Africa) opens up next store. Sure, the Chinese food is just okay, but it's another option where there wasn't one before. The diner sees that the Chinese place is putting a dent in its business so now it has to lower its prices a bit, serve better quality food, let kids under 6 eat for free, etc. They're not the only game in town anymore. That's a powerful position to lose.

Sure, but the larger issue is that it's not just about having options, it's about what kind of pressure the people who can control them can put on you and who those specific people are. A lot of the objections to running everything through the current system is that if you piss off certain countries bad enough, you can get embargoed and hosed.

Ultimately you're just shifting that power to Beijing, and as problematic as Washington can be it's not like Beijing doesn't attach strings to poo poo either. Because let's face it, the BRICS are not equal partners in any kind of hypothetical new monetary system.

It's not the choice between two food places (with the implicit option of cooking yourself) it's the choice between two hegemons. That doesn't make the current system good but it also doesn't make the alternative inherently better, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
now that i think about it, them just doing it may be one underlying cause of the exports and wages dropping like a stone and unemployment skyrocketing in china. xi jinping was reported to be super callous about it, telling peeps to "吃苦" (endure it) but if its the consequences of conscious policy that would explain things

heilongjiang is already hosed in material ways. the meth capital of china, at least by arrests

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

I did some math today, enjoy. gonna be until september for core pce headlines to really have a chance to go away

My wild rear end guess is we track most closely along the red line ("5.25%" ?) now that most of the price shocks from the Russian invasion of Ukraine are behind us

I know this isn't the stock gambling thread but I feel like inflation chat is better focused here than that thread (where I got self-owned by claiming inflation wouldn't hit 3%)

Over in the 3D printing thread someone was complaining about specialty filament prices skyrocketing and then showed a screenshot of the eShop where that filament was mostly sold out. Seems like people are happy to sacrifice savings rate to offset inflation so far.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

(where I got self-owned by claiming inflation wouldn't hit 3%)

I was just messing with you btw! But it was funny that headline cpi hit *exactly* 3 in July.

PCE has some tough year-ago comps coming up here, as pmchem showed. But I think we're generally gonna follow that 0.2 line. Rates are well above any measure of inflation now, and that is supposed to be the standard, at least according to Twitter economists. Even though inflation peaked almost a year ago, 150 basis points back.

But I'm getting more fearful of the always-just-about-to-hit recession. I thought the fed was gonna stop raising months ago, and would start dropping by now. But they seem hellbent on not even talking about dropping until something *really* breaks. Banks don't count apparently.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
two semimajor banks, one with a weird concentration of risk

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why would they feel pressure to drop rates right now? Employment is still sky high and inflation is (at best) barely under control.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Lockback posted:

Why would they feel pressure to drop rates right now? Employment is still sky high and inflation is (at best) barely under control.

Because it's worse for everyone when they are always acting 6-12 months too late? To raise or lower.

I understand there isn't too much pressure as far as their mandate. But the political pressure has to be ramping up with the election. If they keep rates restrictive "until something breaks", it's now likely to break at a very bad time for Biden and his Bidenomics.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why would you say the current rates are "restrictive"? They are not anywhere near unprecedented levels. They are at what they were at prior to the 08 crash and pretty much where they were for most of the 90s (and well below the 80s). The anomaly here is the sub-1% they were at for so long, I don't think it's a goal or anything to do whatever you can to get back there.

I expect they're mostly motivated to keep things level and only lower them if they need to, not because low interest rates are "the good thing" to have.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Lockback posted:

Why would you say the current rates are "restrictive"? They are not anywhere near unprecedented levels. They are at what they were at prior to the 08 crash and pretty much where they were for most of the 90s (and well below the 80s). The anomaly here is the sub-1% they were at for so long, I don't think it's a goal or anything to do whatever you can to get back there.

I expect they're mostly motivated to keep things level and only lower them if they need to, not because low interest rates are "the good thing" to have.

The fomc have been describing these levels as restrictive, it's not just an internet rando pulling that word out of his rear end ;).

In the simplest terms, rates are restrictive when the numbers to get most things going "just don't work" right now. You can see this in plenty of data.

The basket of "leading economic indicators" has been scarily negative for awhile now - https://www.conference-board.org/topics/us-leading-indicators

Manufacturing pmi is terrible: https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-manufacturing-sector-weakest-nearly-three-years-march-ism-2023-04-03/

In the past, expectations for inflation (and future revenue growth) were significantly higher, so business plans could swallow 7,8,9,10%+ loans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Inflation was pretty low in the 90s too, I'm not sure what you mean about that. And inflation is a big threat to something like LEI. Its also noteable that LEI was catering while interest rates were low too.

In any case, I don't think you'll see pressure to lower interest rates UNTIL cracks start forming. They aren't going to proactively drop rates while unemployment was still so far below 5%. That's just going to restart the inflation balloon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This is somewhat anecdotal and highly specific but for my transportation sector manufacturing clients, order intake is absolutely slowing rapidly. That's because order boards for new Class 8 trucks are sold out 12 months in to the future. That kind of situation is unprecedented and insane. If zero new Class 8 orders were placed for 12 months, the plants would still run at capacity. This is not an industry that typically has this level of backlog and in order for it to return to vaguely normal a decrease in new orders placed must occur. But that correction could absolutely occur without having an impact on overall production levels.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do those truck factories have unusually inflexible manufacturing capabilities? A naive person might just point out a one year spike in demand doesn't necessitate building out a larger factory, sort of like the toilet paper fiasco at the beginning of the pandemic. Toilet paper factories "fixed" the problem by adding a third shift and repairing problems on the production lines faster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

No, in terms of configurability of end product, but generally yes in terms of throughput outside of doing things like adding shifts. The assembly process is broken in to separate steps and proceeds according to a standard interval. You can rearrange the assembly process in various ways to change the number of steps and the time interval but that generally involves taking down the plant and changes to equipment, tooling, et that all have long lead times and are expensive. If you're already running three shifts, your options are very limited and it's hard to scale labor quickly if you're adding a third shift.

The other problem is there's a reason that the truck factory is called final assembly. Many of the thousands of components in a truck BOM are orders of magnitude more complex than anything like paper products. They all have various manufacturing complexities and dependencies and asking to get say, 3x more alternators from your supplier puts in place a chain of activities for that supplier, its suppliers, etc. And not having one piece of those thousands available when the line needs it totally fucks up your process. You park the truck incomplete once it's done and then someone has to go back and fix it manually.

edit: nobody's building much capacity because everyone knows that the spike is fairly transient and is the result of parts availability and limited production in early COVID months. but you still gotta produce those trucks and that revenue is still going to come in the future

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In my mind those trucks are just three modular parts, the chassis, drivetrain, and engine which each come in three sizes which haven't changed in basic concept since the 40s. Maybe they added an autoloader or something

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
id be surprised if the bom only has O(10^3) rows on it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

id be surprised if the bom only has O(10^3) rows on it

it depends on what level of the BOM you're willing to go to

like at the first level of the BOM the engine is a unitary component.

Hadlock posted:

In my mind those trucks are just three modular parts, the chassis, drivetrain, and engine which each come in three sizes which haven't changed in basic concept since the 40s. Maybe they added an autoloader or something

you own a TA, how are you this naive

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oops I meant to say coachwork not engine

The TA is just unibody chassis and drivetrain, with two options for each

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Oops I meant to say coachwork not engine

The TA is just unibody chassis and drivetrain, with two options for each

how simple do you think those those things are to build? now multiply that with a lot of chassis and powertrain options, plus 100 years of materials science innovations and computerized electronics

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

'in my mind' was supposed to be a continuation of 'a naive person' but I guess doesn't parse as well as I thought

https://archive.is/J8gdU

WSJ posted:

Restricting Chip Sales to China Could Backfire on U.S., Industry Group Says

Nvidia’s chief financial officer warned of a “permanent loss of opportunities for the U.S. industry” in China if sales of AI chips were prohibited

imposed some of the most stringent curbs yet on chips and chip-making equipment, requiring chip companies to seek licenses from the Commerce Department to sell some of their most advanced products to Chinese customers.
The measures are aimed at preventing U.S. technology from advancing China’s military power.
Biden administration officials say they believe China is using U.S. chips and related technologies to fuel the modernization of its military

Biden administration is now considering further restrictions that would snare AI chips that Nvidia developed for the Chinese market. It is also considering cutting off Chinese access to AI chips through cloud-computing companies. Biden is expected to restrict U.S. investment in advanced Chinese chip-making

I feel like the cat is out of the bag on using Western chips to simulate/model weapons stuff, you can fly in on a tourist visa, swing through every microcenter in the US in a week and buy enough CPU for a super computer, or just buy the stuff on eBay. Or whatever. The world is awash in chips. I guess this does limit us military contractors from building the super computers for the Chinese but they seem to have plenty of domestic expertise at this point

Second, restricting chip fab tech is just going to push the Chinese to build their own. For whatever reason the Russians failed to do this on their own over the last 35 years so maybe it's really one of those technologies where only one company globally is capable of it? Seems like the Chinese will do everything in their power to gain this capability in the next ten years, especially as the US keeps cutting them out of the supply

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the us also doesnt have the capability, its tsmc and samsung

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The base machines everyone uses that generates the specific desirable wavelength for photo lithography for the duration needed comes from a company in, the Netherlands, I think. The power behind the throne, so to speak

drk
Jan 16, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the us also doesnt have the capability, its tsmc and samsung

Eh, Intel isnt that far behind TSMC/Samsung. Maybe a year or two.

Micron, Global Foundries, and Texas Instruments are all manufacturing in the US with modern-ish fab capabilities as well

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

drk posted:

Eh, Intel isnt that far behind TSMC/Samsung. Maybe a year or two.

Micron, Global Foundries, and Texas Instruments are all manufacturing in the US with modern-ish fab capabilities as well

There's also ARM in the UK, although IIRC they got taken to the loving cleaners by the Chinse basically hijacking one of their factories in China and turning it into Totally-Not-ARM

edit: Well, ARM does the design, not the fab, but the point with the Chinese factory was that they've basically got whatever generation of ARM designs were being made there.

edit 2: apparently they got control of it again?.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 18, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ARM does design and IP but has no fabs or ability to produce hardware.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's also ARM in the UK, although IIRC they got taken to the loving cleaners by the Chinse basically hijacking one of their factories in China and turning it into Totally-Not-ARM

Yes, the former chairman/CEO stole their company seal which basically gave him full legal powers

I was watching Spirited Away last night, and realized it has basically the same plot line

(unclear if the ARM seal had a Frog on top)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont gently caress around w signing contracts in the west, dont gently caress around w chops in the east

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lot of acronyms

Good be good, bad be bad

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

certainly not the last to have this happen

https://fortune.com/2023/07/18/commercial-real-estate-billionaire-barry-sternlicht-starwood-default-atlanta-office-tower/ | https://archive.is/azO8Z

quote:

just defaulted on a $212.5 million Atlanta office tower

The delinquency rate for offices with commercial mortgage-backed securities swelled to 4.5% in June from 1.7% a year earlier,

Tower Place 100 was 62% leased as of the end of 2022, down from 87% in 2018 when the loan was originated. Among the 29-story building’s biggest tenants is WeWork Inc., the office-sharing company co-founded by Adam Neumann that has struggled financially.
The Atlanta area’s office-vacancy rate climbed to 22.4% in the second quarter, compared with the US average of 20.6%

taiwan bought an office tower in SF about this time last month for slightly less than $1000/sq ft which is about the going rate for condo real estate in the area

https://sfstandard.com/2023/06/28/taiwan-san-francisco-downtown-office/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

South Africa affirming that they'd arrest Putin if he stepped on their soil seems like not a great endorsement to the S in BRICS

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lockback posted:

South Africa affirming that they'd arrest Putin if he stepped on their soil seems like not a great endorsement to the S in BRICS

Wasn't that theorized to be the reason the ICC actually filed charges against Putin, since they were having their little fan club meeting in Jo-berg this year?

I just checked, and South Africa and Brazil are signatories of the Rome Statute but none of the other three. Of course, neither is the US.

I have no idea what the consequences of not arresting him would be, but I'm sure they're just as happy to not have to.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

Is South Africa politically stable enough right now to pull something like that off

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lockback posted:

https://apnews.com/article/south-africa-ramaphosa-putin-arrest-warrant-c62b4be0fd177d827214199cb60db98f

“I must highlight, for the sake of transparency, that South Africa has obvious problems with executing a request to arrest and surrender President Putin,” he said. “Russia has made it clear that arresting its sitting president would be a declaration of war.”

“It would be inconsistent with our Constitution to risk engaging in war with Russia,” Ramaphosa added.

Sounds like South Africa really doesn't want to arrest Putin.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To be fair, Russia would actually need to want him back to start a war. Given recent events I think those odds are a lot closer to 50/50 than Putin would prefer

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can someone explain why U.S home prices rose for the 5th consecutive month in May? Is it because there is no inventory? What would a soft landing/interest rate pause look like on home prices?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Demand outstrips supply. There are less buyers, but even fewer sellers.

It’s no consolation, but (— nationally, all pricing is very sensitive to local factors —) housing prices are lagging inflation, so there’s nominal price gain but real price loss. If your money is sitting in SGOV or whatever short-term treasury, you’re not losing ground in the price race.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MSPUS
FRED shows a massive 10% decrease in the median sales price for Q1 ‘23 which takes housing prices all the way back to… Q1 ‘22 lol.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

err posted:

Can someone explain why U.S home prices rose for the 5th consecutive month in May? Is it because there is no inventory? What would a soft landing/interest rate pause look like on home prices?

Yeah maybe interest rates will eventually start to bite into housing prices but i think rates will have to stay "higher for longer" before that process takes hold, maybe at least another year or two+. AT LEAST. If rates drop anytime in the next couple years i think prices continue to balloon from there

In the short run, it just seems that supply continues to exceed demand.

Impossible to predict, fools errand truly, just depends on what inflation does, far too many extrinsic factors

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe tomorrow I'll have some time and I'll go dig up my effort post about why housing is going to continue to be in demand for a long time

TL;DR version, millennials are the biggest generation in a long time, millennials are moving into peak childbearing years. Therefore those that can beg borrow or steal are buying their way out of apartments and condos right now

On the flip side, the Fed actually tracks new house permits, new house starts and some other stats. I forget right now but basically we're behind about 7 million homes. Yes million. That's equivalent to, and I'm working from memory here, like 175 large apartment buildings/complexes needing to be built in every city over 100,000 of which there are something like 300. And that's just to pull us out of the deficit we have been in since before 2008. Actually the deficit got way worse immediately after 2008 and hasn't gotten any better. Fed has some great graphs on this if you want to look it up.

Housing should be is a human right and shouldn't be an investment so I'll tow the line and say don't buy a house as an investment, but at the same time, I don't see housing prices collapsing in the next decade, or even in my lifetime, short of a early 20th century Russian workers revolt

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yes, because engines and cab and chassis designs haven’t had to take decades of legal emissions requirements into effect to not only produce more power and torque, have a longer usable life, longer intervals between checks, and also meet stricter emissions and use diesel with much less sulphur content…oh and all the safety equipment in the vehicle requiring fleets of ECUs. Yep.

The devil is in the details, and the details of trucks built in 2023 is much more complex even than 2003.

KYOON is right, plus even something like spinning up more factory capacity would take tens to hundreds of millions of dollars and wouldn’t come in time to meet this current built up demand. Plus, truck sales in the US are weirdly cyclical in their own ways, as they’re work tools at the end of the day. The OEMs will do everything in their power to meet that order backlog, but it’s anomalous right now. Can only imagine something like it before diesel sales are inevitably banned.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Maybe tomorrow I'll have some time and I'll go dig up my effort post about why housing is going to continue to be in demand for a long time

TL;DR version, millennials are the biggest generation in a long time, millennials are moving into peak childbearing years.

Millennials were born 1980-81 to 1995. Thirties to early forties is not peak child-bearing age by any sane definition.

My wife's parents bought their first house at age 22 in 1973. That's peak childbearing age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Millennials were born 1980-81 to 1995. Thirties to early forties is not peak child-bearing age by any sane definition.

My wife's parents bought their first house at age 22 in 1973. That's peak childbearing age.

The median age for giving birth has been climbing steadily, and made headlines a bit ago for crossing 30. Now, I don't know if that's median age for first child or what, but women waiting longer to have children is a pretty pronounced trend. It also increases if you control for income - long story short, the sort of people who are in the home buying market are also delaying children.

fake edit: Mean - not median - age for first child is now 27.3 according to the CDC. Note that that's across all socio-economic groups. I can't find any easy statistics about mean income and how that correlates in the US, but here's a 2016 NHS study in the UK that examines mean birth rate by socioeconomic status and country of origin that tl;dr's down to women in managerial and professional job categories delaying children until their 30s..

real edit: Anecdotally I've got a whole loving bevvy of friends - older millennials all - who are having their first kids in their mid-30s and even in one case early 40s. Lots of hand-wringing and angst about fetal health, lots of people anxiously waiting around on the results of tests for genetic abnormalities. This group is mostly people I know from grad school or who my wife works with (job that has everyone with post-secondary education and a pretty brutal career ladder), so again lots of bias towards that same group the NHS study highlights.

But those are also the people I know who own houses. Because they can afford them. Because of their high paying jobs and, until very recently, status as DINKs.

it's not PRIME childbearing age by any means, but there's a whole poo poo ton of people out there who have delayed kids, are realizing it's poo poo or get off the pot time, and how have the economic means as a result of the education and careers that they deferred children for to bid up those 3 bed 2 bath "starter homes."

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 26, 2023