Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Karnage
Oct 9, 2016

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah time to start doing the bare minimum so that poo poo can function, polish up the resume and gtfo

Unfortunately, I'm in a fairly small industry, so jobs are few and far between. I always have an eye out for other openings, though. When the other staff person resigned, I took on our joint projects by myself "temporarily" but am now trying to wind them down. Some I'm just abandoning outright and I certainly won't be starting any new projects on our "yearly work plan" now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

We want to add some functionality to our system, some functionality that our competitor has. Instead of developing our own, we're just going to buy components from the competitor. My boss decided the best way to test the integration isn't by doing any bench testing, lab testing, field testing on our own, or controlled field testing with a customer. We have upsold it to a customer. They've already bought some equipment with our system, it was built on the production line. Then it was sent to the lab to get retrofitted with the test components. My boss oversaw the retrofit.

Love having to call the competitor's engineering to ask them if they can fix the wrong parts being installed incorrectly for us because someone thought buying the competitor's installation tools and following instructions weren't necessary, and we're already so late on delivery that we have no hope of fixing this ourselves.

Gonna do this again, except the part where our system is installed on the line. We're going to build the equipment at the plant, then get it sent to the lab to have the prototypes AND production systems added.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Don Karnage posted:

Unfortunately, I'm in a fairly small industry, so jobs are few and far between. I always have an eye out for other openings, though. When the other staff person resigned, I took on our joint projects by myself "temporarily" but am now trying to wind them down. Some I'm just abandoning outright and I certainly won't be starting any new projects on our "yearly work plan" now.

Every project you're not abandoning is a project you add as a starting new project.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i got to work briefly with an ex-wall streeter and the mean-spirited uselessness was astounding. im basically a hick. it was a pretty unique situation. but drat now i know a part of the reason why this country is dead lol.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'd rather start and finish two projects than take on someone else's half-finished project. gently caress that poo poo forever.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Don Karnage posted:

Have any friends in other companies you can hit up to check if they'll be hiring soon? Sounds like a small enough industry, that you need to know about/submit to the openings before they have a chance to hit the wider work marketplace.

My current job wasn't an opening, it was me hitting up an old colleague if they needed any help with X and them jumping on the chance to bring me in and creating the position for me. I know that's not how every industry - or most - work but it's worth a shot to check in with old colleagues and let them know you're thinking of leaving, and seeing if you have anyone who particularly likes your work and may be interested to bring you aboard.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 13, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

I'd rather start and finish two projects than take on someone else's half-finished project. gently caress that poo poo forever.

:yeah:

I would rather restart everything from scratch than take over a half-finished project.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

20 Blunts posted:

i got to work briefly with an ex-wall streeter and the mean-spirited uselessness was astounding. im basically a hick. it was a pretty unique situation. but drat now i know a part of the reason why this country is dead lol.

please tell the stories

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cyrano4747 posted:

The answer to this is "sure, who do I send my consulting rate to?"

Don't do it; I know it's a common fantasy but it's hard enough to actually get paid even with a signed statement of work, purchase order, and a honest to goodness finance team.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The feel good answer is "lol gently caress off"
The right answer is to ignore them altogether

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

~Coxy posted:

Don't do it; I know it's a common fantasy but it's hard enough to actually get paid even with a signed statement of work, purchase order, and a honest to goodness finance team.

Running whatever fix through a subscription you control is also a good one. Such a shame that your fix had a 30 day trial they had to pay you in order for you to pay it. Then it breaking isn't you being malicious, it's them failing to pay bills, so service gets shut off. Sudo rm -rf on a cron job gets you a luddite judge and a hacking charge, "your honor, they didn't pay for the service, so the service was turned off, like your electric bill" is basically jury-proof.

There is a variety of stupid games gets you stupid prizes you can play, but 95% of the time, "eat poo poo, I quit for a reason, I hope everything you have burns to the ground, and if you contact me again I'm filing a restraining order" is often the best choice of action.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

to: former employer
subject: re: access to archive

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

StrangersInTheNight posted:

even so, the work person who messages in the middle of the night instead of holding onto it until morning is, absolutely most decidedly, an rear end in a top hat. sometimes i get insomnia and then I pick up my phone and blammo work stuff and while i ignore it until morning, now it's just THERE floating in my mine for like 6 hours before I need to be thinking of it and certainly not helping with the insomnia!! it's just a terrible thing to do to a worker.

whatever you need to do to set a reminder to follow up in the AM instead of burdening people in the middle of the night, do ittttttt stop just spraying out thoughts when they come to yoooou
Start messaging him in the middle of the night and see how he likes it

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Start messaging him in the middle of the night and see how he likes it

Do that and your boss thinks it's great and then you're just working in the middle of the night.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Schedule all emails to send at midnight

Flex move
Step 1: Activate out of office
Step 2: Send out a bunch of emails to people you know will reply
Step 3: Lol gently caress you I'm on holiday

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 14, 2023

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

So waaaaaaaaaaaaay back I posted about the insane things my old workplace was doing, including making up its own demographics like "The Curious Achiever" without any kind of numbers, real attributes, and so forth. I quit because I refused to drink the Kool-Aid and management noticed and was trying to starve me out by giving me a single half-shift a week. I quit, and the government takes my side and I get employment insurance. I estimated they had 4-5 years left given the delusional mismanagement from the top.

Well today I walked past one of the co-workers I got along with (pretty much well everyone but management I got along with) and find out that he's the only one left. Everyone else -- even long-standing experienced staff -- had either quit or had their position made redundant. Also their product selection has shrunk drastically. So it looks like my estimate is right on track.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Marketing tried to tell the owner she can't put fake reviews on Amazon.

"Who's gonna arrest us, the Internet police?"

"The FTC."

"Who's the eff dee see?"

Our Amazon seller account has been shut down for six weeks and no one knows why but the owner and the "brand manager" who insists we do customer service outside of official Amazon channels and send them extra free products as make goods and is on record saying "imthey can't stop us" have both been insanely silent during the internal investigation as to why we're shut down.

Amazon has given us nothing but vague "you violated Rule X'. Rule X has a broad swath of things but it all boils down to "review manipulation or coercion.'

The ecom team is pretty confident they'll be unemployed in a few months as the volume for ecom sales from target, Walmart, sam's club, and our own barely functional website are sub 20k a year.

I really am curious what pushes this place into bankruptcy.

Good news, three suits from the bank were here and agreed to extend a 10mil line of credit so we can pay for the years worth of product the sales VP had shipped in 6 weeks that we don't actually have a sales agreement is place for yet.

Our manufacturer has also agreed to take payment for all this in snrallment instead of demanding the remain 8 million at the end of the month.

Clown shoes from top to bottom.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Ravus Ursus posted:

Clown shoes from top to bottom.

You can fit a lot of clown shoes inside a clown car.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Like I would give them anything resembling terms. "Due to previous issues with this customer, the only terms we will offer is Payment In Advance." would be in bold letters on any proposal I offer. Either explaining to finance why I think they are deadbeats will be a fun task for my former boss, or they gently caress off.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I posted in here a while back that my boss/company was doing shady poo poo with payroll and then they did shady poo poo with the actual products. They wanted me to build products with a known defective part and ship it anyway so they could get paid... in order to make payroll. After an argument with the owner about this I walked out.

I've since come to find out they have not only not replaced me they have, instead, tasked my former manager (who already does way too much) to do my old job. Oh also they cut hours for everyone. Also my manager has been reduced to hourly from salary and had his hours cut as well.

LMAO so glad I'm not there anymore. I have a 3rd-round interview next week at a much, much better place for more money and security.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonkeyHate posted:

Lol. Reminded me that my old boss used to ask this one same question at the end of every interview. He’d tell this looong shaggy dog story about things going wrong at work and all reasonable attempts to fix it failing and it’s a technical and professional nightmare with no good answer and right when the interviewee is ready for the “what do you do to handle it” question, he instead ends it with “you fix it and your team goes to the bar to celebrate - so what do you order?”

Always got a laugh and lightened the mood so you could have a few genuine moments with the person’s real personality showing through.

My boss leaves and I get promoted and soon it’s my first time running an interview. I have to keep the tradition alive, so I ask the shaggy dog question. “… so what do you order?” I finish with a big smile on my face. His face falls and he says “oh, I uh don’t drink. I’m sober. 10 years now. There was an accident and… well. She uh, she didn’t … I’m I uh guess I order a water. Do i have to drink alcohol to work here?”

First and last time I asked the question.
I was thinking "lol I don't drink or eat most bar food so I'd be a real wrench in your question" and then hit the third paragraph :stare:

bee posted:

Yikes. You could rephrase the question to say that you go out to dinner to celebrate and they get to choose the cuisine?
I read it as "barbecue" instead of "bar" at first fire some reason.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"I... Order a coke because I'm still on the clock?.. Is this a job or are you trying to date me?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I posted in here a while back that my boss/company was doing shady poo poo with payroll and then they did shady poo poo with the actual products. They wanted me to build products with a known defective part and ship it anyway so they could get paid... in order to make payroll. After an argument with the owner about this I walked out.

I've since come to find out they have not only not replaced me they have, instead, tasked my former manager (who already does way too much) to do my old job. Oh also they cut hours for everyone. Also my manager has been reduced to hourly from salary and had his hours cut as well.

LMAO so glad I'm not there anymore. I have a 3rd-round interview next week at a much, much better place for more money and security.

I am glad to hear that you are pulling the rip cord here as well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sentient Data posted:

"I... Order a coke because I'm still on the clock?.. Is this a job or are you trying to date me?"
"Wooo thank god everyone here is such a square
Oh you said A coke"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We're in a fairly new office building which is supposed to have some intelligent energy saving poo poo. Which seems to consist of modern thermostats and centrally controlled outside blinds.

I'm not sitting with my back to the West windows and the blinds have been going up and down several times in the last hour or so, but mostly staying up and letting in the afternoon sun right into the office and heating everything up. Very intelligent, now I have to run AC on full blast lol.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
HR getting mad and sending out dress code emails. I guess someone wore a tshirt.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How the gently caress do I know more about QA than our actual QA department

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Salami Surgeon posted:

HR getting mad and sending out dress code emails. I guess someone wore a tshirt.

My wife was working from home full-time for a company in the mid 2000s and somehow was required to dress business casual at home for a short period of time to answer the phone and run spreadsheets. And since this was way before regular video teleconferencing there was no "but what if a zoom" to fall back on. So just put on dress pants and a respectable blouse and sit in your own chair in your own house because dress code.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Salami Surgeon posted:

One of my favorite things was getting chewed out for my pants not being pressed when our uniforms are delivered to us by Cintas and it’s a loving bakery who cares if our pants are pressed anyway.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

My wife was working from home full-time for a company in the mid 2000s and somehow was required to dress business casual at home for a short period of time to answer the phone and run spreadsheets. And since this was way before regular video teleconferencing there was no "but what if a zoom" to fall back on. So just put on dress pants and a respectable blouse and sit in your own chair in your own house because dress code.

Please tell me she just laughed at that and proceeded to wear old sweatpants and a ratty T-shirt.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Salami Surgeon posted:

OTOH I've seen people walking around the office barefoot so it's impossible to say whether dress codes are good or bad;

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Please tell me she just laughed at that and proceeded to wear old sweatpants and a ratty T-shirt.

I've heard the suggestion that you dress for work even if it's WFH to help mentally separate work from home, if it's something that works for you.

Otherwise, yeah, I would absolutely not.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Volmarias posted:

I've heard the suggestion that you dress for work even if it's WFH to help mentally separate work from home, if it's something that works for you.

Otherwise, yeah, I would absolutely not.

When I had my own business I had to do this because if I was sitting in my ginch I found I would just watch Maury and Restaurant Makeover all day. I need to have some proper clothing on and shoes to feel a working mood.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

OTOH I've seen people walking around the office barefoot so it's impossible to say whether dress codes are good or bad;

I walk around the office in socks all the time. It annoys the facilities people. There used to be one guy who went barefoot everywhere, indoors and out, but I've not seen him recently.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goatface posted:

I walk around the office in socks all the time.

That's loving gross, wear shoes

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Today is flipflop day at my office.

It has been an orchestra of "twack twack" all loving day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

goatface posted:

I walk around the office in socks all the time. It annoys the facilities people. There used to be one guy who went barefoot everywhere, indoors and out, but I've not seen him recently.

I had office slippers. It ruled.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I once wore sneakers into the office at an old job and no less than three supervisors pulled me aside for separate meetings to explain the dress code even as I kept saying "Yeah, I was in a rush and just accidentally put on the wrong pair" because there were dudes from Toshiba or something in for some big negotiation and god help me if this deal fell through because I worse sneakers while spending the day in a restricted access room and only leave a few times to walk the four feet to the bathroom.

The first meeting I had no idea what the supervisor was talking about because he just kept up this vague ramble about adherence and kept getting more frustrated while I asked about my time card and ticket closure rates because I had no idea what else I was supposed to adhere too that would warrant a loving one-on-one like this.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Lol early in pandemic some coworkers were still dressing up and wearing their ID cards while at home. Which if they want to do is their own business just felt odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol early in pandemic some coworkers were still dressing up and wearing their ID cards while at home. Which if they want to do is their own business just felt odd.

cargo cult