Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my inference is Bakhmut is “a weak point” because Russia did not have time to prepare depth defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rugz posted:

Correct, everybody knows the good guys should doggedly stick to a zero collateral damage strategy when defending against an enemy that is intent on eradicating the very concept of them as a people. Otherwise they would be just as bad wouldn't they?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They keep talking about wagners "Mutiny" and never look at it in any other way that Putin losing power or whatever

My dudes, a chunk of them got integrated into the regular army, another chunk of them are in belarus providing training for their soldiers AND still being bankrolled by Russia. Prigs business are still being employed by russia and being awarded new contracts.

nono you dont understand putin has lost face this makes him a pariah in russias orientalist culture and his downfall is now inevitable

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Saved at the last moment by counter revolutionary forces led by the last scion of the royal family, a beautiful and charismatic woman who was away leading a think tank of the foremost minds in the nation. Book 3 is about reconciling the office and duties of the monarch with the personage of the monarch, and contrasts the growing pains of the ruling revolutionary council with the reactionary beliefs of hold out pockets of monarchists. Our dashing officer takes on leadership of a branch of the monarchist forces and forms a close personal bond with the young queen. The climax sees the officer overseeing a raid against the revolutionary council, and the ebb and flow of the battle is matched by the philosophical back and forth between the possibility of a future classless society and the vast historic forces conspiring to lead all revolutionary forces back to the divine rule of monarchs. Ultimately the artillery officer orders the final decisive strike, eliminating the revolutionary council with an ease and conviction he could not muster against the royals years earlier. The reactionaries take control and a new terror is unleashed. The artillery officer can only watch as millions are sent to the camps for their role in the uprising. His queen thanks him for his service, awards him a medal, and leaves for the castle, never to be seen again. The last chapter is the twice traitor officer sitting in the dark contemplating how it all went wrong and what, if anything, he believes.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ukraine supposedly has a bunch of mechanized assets hidden away somewhere still, I guess to exploit any openings the, uh, recon in force opens up. I wonder if we'll see them any time soon?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

euphronius posted:

my inference is Bakhmut is “a weak point” because Russia did not have time to prepare depth defense

Yeah that's probably accurate. It's Ukraine's best chance at a breakthrough.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

nono you dont understand putin has lost face this makes him a pariah in russias orientalist culture and his downfall is now inevitable

https://meduza.io/en/news/2023/06/2...mains-unchanged

quote:

According to Levada Center, the mutiny hasn’t as much as dented Vladimir Putin’s approval rating. Before the attempted coup, it had been 82 percent. On the day of the insurrection, it dipped to 79 percent, and went back up to 82 percent as the crisis dissolved.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those are Stalin-like polls

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

VoicesCanBe posted:

My understanding of the current situation is that Russia is the one on the attack on more fronts. And that Ukraine is only really pushing hard in the Bakhmut front at the moment.

It's hard to say.. some people claim that Ukraine is attacking everywhere to try and string out the Russians and stretch their logistics / reserves. Others claim that the intensity of Ukrainian attacks has been decreasing since the NATO summit, almost as if the offensive was geared towards producing some sort of result at that meeting and then the Ukrainians switched up their tactics after they were rebuffed at Vilnius..

VoicesCanBe posted:

Yeah that's probably accurate. It's Ukraine's best chance at a breakthrough.

It could be that this is partly an element at play, although Russia obviously has considerable assets available to them in the area including what has been reported as being 50,000+ soldiers in Bakhmut and the surrounding suburbs. I don't know how realistic the chances for a breakthrough are, although it does appear to be something that Rybar for instance is cognizant of if the Ukrainians can keep up and increase the pressure on the Russian defenders.

Another part of the decision to attack in Bakhmut that I've seen reported is that Zelenskyy and this Oleksandr Syrskyi character who is apparently the next most influential guy in the Ukrainian army after Zaluzhny are obsessed with the idea of re-capturing Bakhmut as they see it as the Russians only real achievement from the last year of fighting and they would like to reverse that, no matter the cost.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Jul 17, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

Ukraine supposedly has a bunch of mechanized assets hidden away somewhere still, I guess to exploit any openings the, uh, recon in force opens up. I wonder if we'll see them any time soon?

They have some assets left, but it is also pretty obvious that they are getting down there considering how cautious they are with their vehicles at this point. They didn't just lose a lot of Western equipment, but also a lot of the Soviet equipment they had left or had been donated.

It seems like most of their attacks around Bakhmut are infantry centric and being baited into the same trench lines.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t imagine how any Ukrainian troops have any morale

except for the Nazis I guess

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It's hard to see how the northeast front would be a priority right now, but interesting if true.

https://twitter.com/DefensePolitics/status/1680701480343568384

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

euphronius posted:

I can’t imagine how any Ukrainian troops have any morale

except for the Nazis I guess

morale is less of an issue when youre only given a weapon after youre already under fire and the armored box that dumped you in a field is long gone

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's hard to see how the northeast front would be a priority right now, but interesting if true.

https://twitter.com/DefensePolitics/status/1680701480343568384

If true its probably because its where Ukraine isnt.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

saving those for the civil war that will follow the peace conference

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

meanwhile another artillery officer

Friedrich Engels, Schweizerischer Republikaner No. 51, June 27, 1843 posted:

Give me two hundred thousand Irishmen and I will overthrow the entire British monarchy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's not going to matter that much if they can't deal with the civil war they're in now.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

dead gay comedy forums posted:

meanwhile another artillery officer

they just don't write the historical fiction I want to read...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the New Testament compared to the Ramayana is completely unfair. no one in the NT has more than one head. there are no monkey kings. just boring all around

(I guess there is revelation)

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rugz posted:

How can you feel happy about getting rid of a rat infestation?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rugz posted:

If atrocities are not justified then what is the acceptable level of force in your opinion that can be used in the prevention of an atrocity that will be committed against a group that you have an unshakable duty to protect? Presumably it falls short of 'any and all means necessary', which means there is some inflection point of action you would be unprepared to take despite it being required.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

euphronius posted:

those are Stalin-like polls

he truly was popular. every leader should aspire to poll as highly as he did.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation

HiroProtagonist posted:

its just atomization of the individual, which is a goal of neoliberalism in general

its just more obvious in the military because of the inbuilt need for the military to function as a cohesive unit, a collective organization, and when your ideology is individualistic autonomy, those contradictions tend to be exposed more readily.

there was some documentary i'm going to look up now that did short 30 second interviews of random US military servicemen that just asked "why did you join the military?" and the answers, even if cherry picked, are pretty telling of the complete lack of motivation, a total ideological vacuum despite the best efforts of the military to beat every inch of individuality out of recruits as possible.

turns out that's less effective in the long run when you're recruiting primarily from the petit-bourgeois class who views individuality and self interest as reified virtue :patriot:

e: this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8OPsi1ieE

i am most disturbed by this turn of events evidently china has weaponized tiktok to destroy our military and the only proper response is for us to ban tiktok in retaliation

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lol at the idea of the Ukrainian state trying to protect anyone

they've been loving giddy about throwing meat at the russians from day 1. Rather than evacuate civilians, they gave them guns and tried to teach them how to make molotovs.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation

Tankbuster posted:

this thread when FF talked about his ethnicity.

catholic is an ethnicity now? but i only want to hate the irish the italians are cool

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol the war is why my electricity bill is rapidly moving towards unaffordable

pretend like i posted that political cartoon where the economy is represented by a pointlessly destructive robot that were expected to want to save for some reason

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
[RUH-ROH WAR]

scooby doo voice.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
A Crimean Tatar-led underground movement is already active behind Russian lines and hundreds of young Tatar men are ready to take up arms to liberate the occupied peninsula, a veteran community leader has said.

Mustafa Dzemilev, widely seen as the godfather of the Crimean Tatar rights movement, pointed to operations by the Atesh guerrilla group, comprising Crimean Tatars, Ukrainians and Russians, in Crimea and other occupied Ukrainian regions.

Atesh, which means “fire” in Crimean Tatar, was created in September last year, primarily to carry out acts of sabotage from within the ranks of the Russian army. It claims more than 4,000 Russian soldiers have already enrolled in an online course on how to “survive the war” by wrecking their own equipment.

There is no evidence linking the group to the latest attack on the Kerch Bridge, early on Monday morning, but the group has claimed a string of smaller-scale attacks, blowing up Russian checkpoints, assassinating Russian officers, setting fire to barracks and feeding sensitive information to Ukrainian intelligence. It recently accused Russian sappers of laying mines in the Krymskyi Titan chemical works in Armiansk, northern Crimea. An explosion there could spread an ammonia cloud across the land bridge between the peninsula and mainland Ukraine.

“Atesh is very deep underground,” Dzhemilev, 79, told the Guardian in an interview in Kyiv. “There was not a single arrest among Atesh members, but they are working inside Crimea territory blowing up targets.”

Dzemilev said the 300,000-strong Crimean Tatar community had been the focus of resistance to Russian occupation since 2014, when Moscow annexed Crimea, not least because of its experience under Moscow’s rule.

The Crimean Tatars are the Turkic-speaking native people of Crimea, absorbed by the Mongol Golden Horde in the 13th century. They adopted Islam and broke away as the powerful Crimean Khanate in the 15th century. After Russian annexation in 1783, the process of persecution and expulsion began under imperial rule, and it was continued under the Soviet Union.

In 1944, Stalin deported the entire Crimean Tatar population, mostly to Uzbekistan, including Dzemilev’s family, when he was six months old. As a human rights activist, he spent years under surveillance and in penal colonies. He is no longer the chairman of the Crimean Tatar assembly, the Mejlis, but remains a member of parliament and the pre-eminent elder of the community.

On 12 March 2014, two weeks after Russian soldiers wearing no insignia seized strategic points in Crimea and four days before a “referendum” was held on the peninsula to endorse its “independence”, Vladimir Putin spoke to Dzemilev by phone.

“He told me he saw Crimean Tatars as pacifists and he hoped there would be no violence,” Dzemilev recalled of the 45-minute conversation. “I told him, wait a minute, it’s non-violence when you are defending your civil rights in your own country. But when an enemy’s boot steps on your land, that’s a completely different matter.”

Dzhemilev said Crimean Tatars are bearing the brunt of the Russian occupation. They account for 13% of the peninsula’s population, but he said 85% of political arrests and illegal searches were targeted against them. Crimean Tatar activists have disproportionately been the victims of kidnapping and disappearances. Dzemilev said 49 activists were missing and only eight of their bodies had been found so far. Political leaders and dozens of activists have been jailed.

Despite the level of control and persecution, Dzemilev said if Crimean Tatars felt liberation was close, the ranks of the partisans would grow significantly. “At the current moment, around 1,000 young men are ready to take up arms as soon as the Ukrainian army arrives, if they are able to get the weapons,” he said.

Refat Chubarov, the current Mejlis chairman, warned against outside powers seeking to negotiate the future of Crimea without the participation of its Indigenous people.

“We don’t want another Yalta,” Chubarov told the Guardian, referring to the 1945 meeting in the Crimean summer resort, where Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill accepted Joseph Stalin’s assurances that democratic elections would be allowed in eastern European countries.

Chubarov said there were “thousands” of Crimean Tatars ready to fight any attempt to leave their homeland under prolonged Russian occupation.

The Ukrainian counteroffensive is under way and Kyiv’s forces are making territorial gains, but are still far from the formidable fortifications Russian forces have built along the road to Crimea. The region’s liberation does not appear imminent, and even if Ukraine suddenly makes a breakthrough and reached Crimea, some of Kyiv’s backers in Washington and a few European capitals are nervous at the prospect of Russian occupation forces being driven out, lest it makes Putin desperate enough to use a nuclear bomb or some other weapon of mass destruction.

As with Russian volunteers fighting with Ukrainian support on Russian territory, the military role of the Crimean Tatars as a highly motivated partisan force would be a way to put Moscow under additional pressure without alarming allies.

“The Crimean Tatars are of extreme importance in the future liberation of Crimea, from the ideological, political and other points of view,” the Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak said. “They are very active and effective in terms of the preparation for the future liberation of Crimea. Dzemilev and Chubarov are actively cooperating with the presidential office and Ukrainian central government in those preparations.

“Crimean Tatars are serving in the armed services of Ukraine and take an active role in partisan operations in Crimea. There is quite a wide network within Crimea right now, that is very useful. Certain incidents are happening there that are proof of that.”

After liberation, Crimean Tatars will be seeking greater recognition, including a constitutional change that would make Crimea a “national republic” in which they, as the Indigenous people, would have special status. Dzemilev said the creation of such a republic would be irrespective of whatever role his community plays in liberation.

On that score, however, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s government has made no specific assurances.

“In wartime it is forbidden to change the constitution,” Tamila Tasheva, a Crimean Tatar activist who currently serves as the president’s permanent representative to Crimea, said in an interview in Kyiv. “There is a lot of talk about the status of Crimea after liberation, but right now there is no final decision. Right now, this question is on hold.”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Some Guy TT posted:

Russia may have the advantage in men and equipment but on the other hand, Putin has 'lost face' and 'been humiliated', crippling Russia's ability to fight on.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

A Crimean Tatar-led underground movement is already active behind Russian lines and hundreds of young Tatar men are ready to take up arms to liberate the occupied peninsula, a veteran community leader has said.

Mustafa Dzemilev, widely seen as the godfather of the Crimean Tatar rights movement, pointed to operations by the Atesh guerrilla group...

Oh well geeze I'm sure this will improve life for the tatars, it always works out well when small regional ethnic minorities side with NATO states during proxy conflicts

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Jul 17, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
so they're going to run around murdering civilians? Because what else are a couple of hundred men going to do?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Post.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

thanks for finding all the psycho posts fizzy

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Regarde Aduck posted:

so they're going to run around murdering civilians? Because what else are a couple of hundred men going to do?

If the Khmer or Hmong were an indicator for how this will go, yes, that is literally the plan

If they are very lucky, five to ten percent of their survivors will get to make a community in the United States when we're done using them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

If the Khmer or Hmong were an indicator for how this will go, yes, that is literally the plan

If they are very lucky, five to ten percent of their survivors will get to make a community in the United States when we're done using them

It's funny because these groups became integral to how US SF, or at least the Green Berets came to see themselves, loyal friends of local people who even in defeat will help them get out. Then after 20 years of building up the same myths, the US did the exact same thing to the Kurds, but - so far as I know - is not even pretending to resettle them in the US. Same deal with the northern tribes of Afghanistan.

I think the only group that the US has remained loyal and responsive to in return for their service to the CIA and Special Forces is the Cuban Exiles. In that case though, they could probably rat out the CIA out for killing Kennedy, and are a voting bloc in an important swing state, so I guess that gave them leverage.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Jul 17, 2023

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Green Knight was a pretty good modern Arthurian movie.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

I enjoyed it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

it's no sword of the valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Zodium posted:

it's no sword of the valiant

Video games have surpassed movies and that’s why Ace Combat Zero is the best arthurian retelling of my lifetime.