Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

My parents couldn't find a babysitter so they took me with when they saw The Exorcist at the show. Still wasn't enough for me to invoke the family rule of if I wanted to leave for whatever reason, I just had to say so and we'd leave. Only invoked it on a Bambi theatrical rerelease.

I remember watching Disney's Snow White in theaters when I was real little, maybe 5 or 6. The part at the end where the stepmother is all witched up and running around in a lightning storm scared me bad enough to start crying. My dad picked me up and carried me to the back of the theater but didn't actually leave because like gently caress he's gonna miss the end like that :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

I remember watching Disney's Snow White in theaters when I was real little, maybe 5 or 6. The part at the end where the stepmother is all witched up and running around in a lightning storm scared me bad enough to start crying. My dad picked me up and carried me to the back of the theater but didn't actually leave because like gently caress he's gonna miss the end like that :lol:

this was apparently the first movie I saw in a cinema! same age, I don't remember it but apparently the witch freaked me out big time. I also was terrified of ET

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there some deep lore reason for why the Nostromo has a wet-chain tunnel with potable (?!?) water just falling on some concrete from a great height?

It's an equipment maintenance room, presumably for times when the Nostromo is carrying machinery that needs to be deployed rather than being used as a tug for a space refinery.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there some deep lore reason for why the Nostromo has a wet-chain tunnel with potable (?!?) water just falling on some concrete from a great height?

It’s obviously just because it looks cool, and that’s a great reason and I support it. But Alien is a big enough franchise that someone must’ve tried writing like a GURPS supplement for it or something. That seems like the kind of a thing some beautiful nerd would try to defend.

The giant thing in that room is the landing gear. I don’t think I’ve heard any theories about the water, but in-universe options I can think of:
* it was cold on LV-426; the landing gear is freezing and it’s water condensation
* it’s the air handler dealing with the remnants of the atmosphere (that room would have been exposed to the surface)
* the air handler / humidifier system is just broken

The chains don’t make any sense, nor should that door have been open unless the alien opened it. That entire deck would have been exposed to the planetoid atmosphere if the doors weren’t sealed. You would think Brett would have remarked on that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've heard "the room is so big it has weather."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've heard "the room is so big it has weather."

That’s a real thing that can happen, but that room is way too small for that.

quote:

When the humidity is high in the Airdock, a sudden change in temperature causes condensation. This condensation falls in a mist, creating the illusion of rain, according to the designer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Had a lot of fun with Unwelcome, the whole runtime really. Definite recommend. Good silly horror, I appreciate how cartoonish it got. love those little fuckers, their stupid voices, dancing, and the fact that they can and do die/get absolutely wrecked...lmao at the bearded one at the end just being like "wooo mother redcap!!!" like his team just scored a touchdown. Talk about a (one of many) lame rear end horror movie husband tho.
Really I'm calling bullshit on the redcap deal tho. You fuckers didn't solve the problem!!! You ran away once a gun came out!!! Well, I guess they did cover corpse disposal, and one baby is a fairly reasonable tip in Europe. :hmmyes:
All in all not too bad in terms of elf deals. Could've been worse, they could've been the creepy Strange and Norrell kind that just keep inviting you to their terrible parties and kickbacks.

Shouldve ended with her staring straight at the camera and going "It's good to be the mama."

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 17, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A good way through Influencer via Shudder and god drat, this is great.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I enjoyed it but Sissy is superior influencer based movie imo

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I liked Influencer but man I sure mixed it up with another movie. I saw a trailer for something that featured a kidnapped youtuber in a cage with a scary man saying "YOU MUST GET 1000 LIKES IN ONE HOUR". Whatever it was, it sure wasn't Influencer

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I liked Influencer but man I sure mixed it up with another movie. I saw a trailer for something that featured a kidnapped youtuber in a cage with a scary man saying "YOU MUST GET 1000 LIKES IN ONE HOUR". Whatever it was, it sure wasn't Influencer

"NAME THE ACTOR WHO REPLACED JASON IN FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 6 OR THE ACID WILL EAT AWAY YOUR SKULL"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

"NAME THE ACTOR WHO REPLACED JASON IN FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 6 OR THE ACID WILL EAT AWAY YOUR SKULL"

I wish movies still had quizzes at the start

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Phy posted:

I wish movies still had quizzes at the start

Every movie with a mystery in it should have the equivalent of The Werewolf Break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipkfNqjncRA

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
:spooky:OCTOBER CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT :spooky:

Hard to believe, but we're less than 3 months away from another October Challenge. As I've mentioned before, Fran has passed the torch to me at least for this year, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with as little procrastination as possible. I've never done anything like this before, so we're going back to our roots with a more traditional set of challenges, not the Spooky Bingo of recent years. I hope everyone is ok with that and it's not too much of a bummer for those that enjoyed Spooky Bingo.

That said, I do want to try to put a little bit of a different spin on things in a few ways. I'll spoiler tag the specifics just in case there are people who like to be surprised by these things when October rolls around.

First, we're going to incorporate more opportunities to complete the challenges with rewatches. Rewatching old favorites is something I always do a lot of in October, and allowing for more of that seemed like a popular idea when I brought it up in the May Challenge thread.

Second, we're going to take a cue from gey muckle mowser's challenge in May and do some overlapping challenges, i.e. a subset of the challenges will be able to be used in combination with other challenges so that if you plan things out you can kill two birds with one stone.

So, the overall format I was thinking about was 13 rewatch-eligible challenges, 13 new-to-you challenges, and then 5 of the meta/overlap challenges(these will be the broader challenges, for example gey muckle mowser put the geographical challenge in this category). With 31 total challenges, the prize drawing would be based on tiers where you can earn 4 possible entries. One entry for just watching 31 movies, and then one entry for completing a certain # of challenges(maybe one entry per 10 challenges completed?)

As always the "prizes" won't really be the motivating factor here, we're doing this for Halloween spirit, but there will be prizes in the form of horror digital codes. So I guess my main question right now is about the number of challenges. Too many? I feel like erring on the side of too many is probably the way to go for October, people like challenges but we don't want it to feel overwhelming to complete them either.

All that said, my PMs are open and I'm looking for suggestions for the specific challenges. We'll be using some of the old mainstays of course, and I've come up with a few of my own already but we're gonna need fresh ideas before this is all said and done. Thanks in advance for not being a dick as I try to not ruin the legacy of this great challenge!

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 17, 2023

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I watched the new Insidious movie that's in theaters right now. It was.... ok.

Good acting from the young leads, film looks pretty and good effects, but it feels sterile, safe and generic in the way that Blumhouse pics can have sometimes.

It's too bad because I really like the idea of haunting or evil being manifested through art works, or those works becoming a portal for terrible things.

You just basically KNOW that nothing bad is going to happen to anyone important and that removes a lot of underlying tension and fear that other films have.

Contrast that to Suzy Bannon entering the secret chamber of her school in Suspiria, hearing the headmistress of the coven telling her minions that she must "DIE DIE DIE" and discovering the crucified (and subsequently zombified) body of her friend. That is the opposite of safe.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Funhouse? It's a cheesy film about influencers having to survive to win that I thought was a Squid Game ripoff, but it turns out it was actually released before it (lol)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6852534/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v-EvPnOGxE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

One entry for just watching 31 movies, and then one entry for completing a certain # of challenges(maybe one entry per 10 challenges completed?)

Question: Do I get additional entries if I follow you? I better had. It's only in the spirit of the contest if you have a mysterious and threatening stalker.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Holy poo poo, less than 3 months until the greatest time of the year! :spooky:

31 challenges seems fair, since most of us aim for 31 movies in October, plus having nearly half of those be rewatch eligible means an excuse to dig out all the old favourites.

Xiahou Dun posted:

In terms of feedback, I think you should make sure that none of the first-watch-required categories are relatively small and finite. Like, there's enough vampire movies out there that you could almost go forever, but some of the other categories it's not infeasible that someone has literally watched them all and is just hosed from the outset.

Yeah, definitely this too. The first-watch challenges should be fairly broad to open them up to a lot of possibilities. Because certain challenges become tough when they're too narrow along with the first-watch constraint.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 17, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That sounds like the exact right amount of challenges. I like that October is the month with the most raw number of challenges, meta challenges are cool, 31 is the number of days in October so that makes sense logistically while being relevant? Sound dope as hell.

In terms of feedback, I think you should make sure that none of the first-watch-required categories are relatively small and finite. Like, there's enough vampire movies out there that you could almost go forever, but some of the other categories it's not infeasible that someone has literally watched them all and is just hosed from the outset.

Has there been like a murder-weapon scavenger hunt challenge? Like there's a list with "chainsaw" and "axe" and "blender" and you have to find movies where someone gets that shoved in their face?

(I'm spit-balling, sorry if this is garbled.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yea I'm definitely keeping that in mind when I decide the challenge categories

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has there been like a murder-weapon scavenger hunt challenge? Like there's a list with "chainsaw" and "axe" and "blender" and you have to find movies where someone gets that shoved in their face?

Only issue that we have to be careful about with that sort of thing is you want people to be able to plan things out, i.e. it's hard to know if an axe or a blender is used until you've seen the movie.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah that’d have to be a meta-category people are watching the whole month, and it should probably not need everything to count. (E.g. it’s 10 items but you only “need” 6 with the rest just bonus.)

And it could be a bad idea. I’m just letting my stupid hands type things.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Hard to believe, but we're less than 3 months away from another October Challenge. As I've mentioned before, Fran has passed the torch to me at least for this year, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with as little procrastination as possible. I've never done anything like this before, so we're going back to our roots with a more traditional set of challenges, not the Spooky Bingo of recent years. I hope everyone is ok with that and it's not too much of a bummer for those that enjoyed Spooky Bingo.

So I guess my main question right now is about the number of challenges. Too many? I feel like erring on the side of too many is probably the way to go for October, people like challenges but we don't want it to feel overwhelming to complete them either.

I don't mind the idea of a lot of challenges, especially if there are a number of them that can be covered with rewatches if people want. But, with that many challenges in place, it might be better to open up the Challenge thread a couple of days earlier in September and post them all right up at the top, so that people have a few extra days to work through them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A murder weapon scavenger hunt could be great haha what a fun idea

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here’s a gimme for death by falling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvlsMhpmBXE

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like 31 challenges myself. They are after all challenges. If it was easy to finish them all they'd be just kind of an after thought. That and the meta challenges means its not 31 movies necessarily so there's wiggle room if you're smart.

But I'm an insane person who does like 3 different sets of challenges every October so don't listen too much to me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Challenges sound good, but I hope we stick to getting the list early and doing them on own time. That has made a huge difference for my engagement that last couple years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Challenges sound good, but I hope we stick to getting the list early and doing them on own time. That has made a huge difference for my engagement that last couple years.

Yep, the challenges will absolutely be posted on day 1 when the thread goes up. I haven't looked at the calendar to figure out exactly what day that will be yet, but it won't be a situation where the challenges are posted in a trickle over the course of the month. The majority has made it clear over the years that they like to know the challenges up front so they can plan things out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yep, the challenges will absolutely be posted on day 1 when the thread goes up. I haven't looked at the calendar to figure out exactly what day that will be yet, but it won't be a situation where the challenges are posted in a trickle over the course of the month. The majority has made it clear over the years that they like to know the challenges up front so they can plan things out.

October 1st is a Sunday, so putting it up around September 29th/30th sounds reasonable for fitting it around your personal workload.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jedit posted:

October 1st is a Sunday, so putting it up around September 29th/30th sounds reasonable for fitting it around your personal workload.

O that'd be really convenient actually. The nerds going for a completion (or who just like strategizing) get a day or two to mull things over, and Sunday's a really convenient day to start. Even a really casual participant has good odds of knocking out two challenges on the first day.

Have there been categories riffing off the horror formula before? e.g. movie with a final girl, movie with a subversion of the sex = death trope? I'm trying to think about other sorts of "kinds" of categories besides like "has this kind of monster" and "has themes X, Y, or Z".

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Basebf555 posted:

:discourse: Bueno. I don't mind some surprise bonus challenges popping up, but as I get older I find it's harder to do a movie a day as is, so if I'm expecting a challenge I wind up saving stuff that I think will match and get too much of a backlog going and wind up just watching a lot of garbage on Amazon instead of things that I want to see

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Sissy was kinda mid, but Influencer looks intriguing.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

dorium posted:

Sissy was kinda mid, but Influencer looks intriguing.

Add another upvote for Influencer. I watched it when it first came out and it was worth a watch for sure. Didn't pick up on some of the cues that were previously mentioned, maybe I'm a dummy, but the whole thing was a fun ride.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

That said, I do want to try to put a little bit of a different spin on things in a few ways. I'll spoiler tag the specifics just in case there are people who like to be surprised by these things when October rolls around.

First, we're going to incorporate more opportunities to complete the challenges with rewatches. Rewatching old favorites is something I always do a lot of in October, and allowing for more of that seemed like a popular idea when I brought it up in the May Challenge thread.

Second, we're going to take a cue from gey muckle mowser's challenge in May and do some overlapping challenges, i.e. a subset of the challenges will be able to be used in combination with other challenges so that if you plan things out you can kill two birds with one stone.

So, the overall format I was thinking about was 13 rewatch-eligible challenges, 13 new-to-you challenges, and then 5 of the meta/overlap challenges(these will be the broader challenges, for example gey muckle mowser put the geographical challenge in this category). With 31 total challenges, the prize drawing would be based on tiers where you can earn 4 possible entries. One entry for just watching 31 movies, and then one entry for completing a certain # of challenges(maybe one entry per 10 challenges completed?)

As always the "prizes" won't really be the motivating factor here, we're doing this for Halloween spirit, but there will be prizes in the form of horror digital codes. So I guess my main question right now is about the number of challenges. Too many? I feel like erring on the side of too many is probably the way to go for October, people like challenges but we don't want it to feel overwhelming to complete them either.

All that said, my PMs are open and I'm looking for suggestions for the specific challenges. We'll be using some of the old mainstays of course, and I've come up with a few of my own already but we're gonna need fresh ideas before this is all said and done. Thanks in advance for not being a dick as I try to not ruin the legacy of this great challenge!

Sounds great. The more challenges the better, helps me make decisions with an overwhelming amount of choices and barely enough time to get to 31. Definitely would like re-watches to count for some challenges, I need my spooky season favorites and I’m sure I can find categories to fit them into. I’ll PM you some dumb challenge ideas!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Influencer:

Trying to decide whether it is better or worse that there isn’t much backstory or explanation to the villain’s actions.

Of course there is some secondary gain where she scores material poo poo off her victims.

But is she just doing it because influencers are shallow vapid little shits who deserve to die?

Or is there a specific vengefulness because her birthmark might preclude her from shallow social media fame? Realistically, with the right kind of posting she would probably be a huge hit on social media BECAUSE of the birthmark making her “unique” like the one guy was telling her, with a huge army of simps and dudes with a fetish.

It’s probably fine that they never dive deeply into it.

Realistically the instant she showed up at the rental house with Maddie’s boyfriend and confronted an unexpected scenario she should have bailed if she had any sense of danger or self preservation, ditto when the older lady was clearly onto her poo poo.

The one thing in the movie that really bothered me though was when she was able to overpower and kill the boyfriend while unarmed with her hands bound. I was pretty much okay with everything else. The instant she saw the camping and cooking setup she should have left immediately on her boat and returned with a gun lol.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Flying Zamboni posted:

Every movie with a mystery in it should have the equivalent of The Werewolf Break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipkfNqjncRA

Who was it? Was it Grand Moff Tarkin?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Who was it? Was it Grand Moff Tarkin?

Sounds like somebody needs to check out some classic Hammer flicks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aw, One Cut Of The Dead was delightful

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bogus Adventure posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Funhouse? It's a cheesy film about influencers having to survive to win that I thought was a Squid Game ripoff, but it turns out it was actually released before it (lol)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6852534/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v-EvPnOGxE

That movie wasn't very good, but I really loved the poster:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

Only concern I have about the amount of challenges is that they should be posted early on because quite a few of us end up in the spot where we've already watched/reviewed stuff that would've applied for a challenge that ended up getting posted after. I did like it sitting around 13 challenges because well, 13, and that it also allowed some flexibility with fitting in personal challenges and avoids the possibility of the challenges becoming the focal point of the October viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

Only concern I have about the amount of challenges is that they should be posted early on because quite a few of us end up in the spot where we've already watched/reviewed stuff that would've applied for a challenge that ended up getting posted after. I did like it sitting around 13 challenges because well, 13, and that it also allowed some flexibility with fitting in personal challenges and avoids the possibility of the challenges becoming the focal point of the October viewing.

Yea I was hoping to mitigate that with the tiered system with prize drawing entries for completing X number of challenges, so you earn entries in the drawing as you go, it's not an all or nothing thing. But I get what you're saying, people inevitably want to go for them all.

There's also bound to be a bunch of people who don't give a poo poo about the type of prizes I'm offering so they won't even care about the drawing.